GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanliner

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanli

Post by Xer Xian »

clintkolodziej wrote:Try the VGA output on the Garo (not sure if my LCD will accept RGBHV VGA or not, it just says PC Interface in the manual)
"VGA" is a term meant to define a resolution, the signal is actually nothing else than RGBHV. Your display will accept it, as long as you feed it with 480p or above. I'd also try another display, it's unlikely the situation will change but once I did get a green screen from a PC CRT monitor hooked up to an HD Fury (while all my other displays delivered a perfect image with it), so there's that.

Failing all that, probably a faulty unit yeah.
clintkolodziej

Post by clintkolodziej »

Xer Xian wrote:
clintkolodziej wrote:Try the VGA output on the Garo (not sure if my LCD will accept RGBHV VGA or not, it just says PC Interface in the manual)
"VGA" is a term meant to define a resolution, the signal is actually nothing else than RGBHV. Your display will accept it, as long as you feed it with 480p or above. I'd also try another display, it's unlikely the situation will change but once I did get a green screen from a PC CRT monitor hooked up to an HD Fury (while all my other displays delivered a perfect image with it), so there's that.

Yeah I tried the RGBHV signal on the PC input of my LCD, that actually showed a green tint (all blacks were bright green). I got in contact with Yossi from beharbros, sounds like a bad unit, probably from the long trip from Turkey to the US. Yossi was great and I'll hopefully have better luck with the replacement.

Thanks for all the help!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Xer Xian wrote:

If you're going to pedantically attempt to enforce an obsolete definition of a term that stopped being the accurate common meaning decades ago, at least get your facts straight. The original VGA standard, which stopped being what people meant when they said "VGA" by the 90s, defined several resolutions (200p, several 400p, and 480p), not merely 480p. What they all had in common was a 31.469 kHz sync rate.

In other words, the original use of the term "VGA" referred to an entire standard for computer display (including bit depths and text modes), not a resolution. "VGA" stopped meaning that some time in the 90s, maybe even late 80s.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I wasn't trying to school anyone, I just figured I'd point out that "RGBHV VGA" is a redundant notation. As far as I know VGA is not like SCART in that it could be used to carry a variety of signals different from RGB (or at least, it wasn't used this way). Also, in my experience "VGA" is still used to refer to the 640x480 res as well - at least, that's what I tend to associate to, say, a Dreamcast when I hear/read of its VGA output capabilities, and not the signal or connector type.

That notwithstanding, I do use the term "VGA" to refer to the signal or connector type as well (in fact I think I did just that a few hours ago in the "Ode to old display tech" thread).
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Calling 480p "VGA" is pretty much the same as using "VGA" to mean any analog RGBHV signal on a dsub-15 connector: it's not the original ("official") term, it's one of the meanings people have associated to it since then.

In actual use, 400p was more common since 640x400 and 720x400 were what PCs booted at (many still do), and 320x200 was typically used for games since 200p supported 256 colours while 400p and 480p were limited to 16 colours. That's why all the older DOS games (C&C, Doom, Quake, etc) were 320x200.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I always referenced the larger two row connector as DSub or DB15 and the popular three row "VGA" connector as HD15.
We apologise for the inconvenience
clintkolodziej

Post by clintkolodziej »

Haha, I love this forum. First off no offense taken to Xer Xian, I appreciate anyone sharing knowledge, I didn't take it as trying to "school me". With that said, thanks to Guspaz for having my back!

Not sure everyone's background when I talk about this stuff so I usually try to use the most common terminology, in this case VGA since that is what pretty much everyone calls that port, at least outside of electrical engineers, and I'm in the US - it may be different elsewhere. I'm a computer programmer and even in my circles if I called it a DE-15/HD-15 I would just get blank stares from people, they all know it as a VGA port. However, it's been a while since I read much on the signal that passed through the VGA/HD-15/DE-15 port (RGBHV) so I couldn't recall if my TV supported that (the port was just named PC Input, which is about as generic as you can get). Apparently the VGA standard only uses RGBHV, had I recalled that I would have been more clear. When I wrote my post I just copied and pasted what it said on the Garo website: "RGBHV VGA". Redundant, yes, but I can see why they listed the signal and port so people knew exactly what to expect out of this device.

Anyway, I should know better, people on this forum know their stuff and I should be specific about signal and port when asking questions.

Thanks again!
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Actually I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as most of the people posting here, hell you're most likely more knoledgeable than me as well. I'm here to learn, and share any little tidbit I happen to know, as in this case.

I'm honestly baffled my comment came off as nitpicking - I didn't mean it, but I apologize if it sounded like I did. I don't like people showing off useless notional "knowledge" either.
clintkolodziej

Post by clintkolodziej »

Xer Xian wrote:Actually I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as most of the people posting here, hell you're most likely more knoledgeable than me as well. I'm here to learn, and share any little tidbit I happen to know, as in this case.

I'm honestly baffled my comment came off as nitpicking - I didn't mean it, but I apologize if it sounded like I did. I don't like people showing off useless notional "knowledge" either.
I feel the same way. Seems like everyone is an Electrical Engineer, there is a lot of confusing stuff out there for those of us that aren't EE's. However, I'm glad to have them working on all this stuff to keep retro gaming alive on modern hardware.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Just got one and it's great so far.

This might be a dumb question but is it safe to use one of these with it? I don't really want to keep it turned on all the time or just leaving the power cord hanging around when I'm not using it.

beharius

Post by beharius »

I wouldn't leave it plugged on the wall.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I just received a Garo for use with my component systems. I ran into a couple of problems initially, so I figured I'd post them here in case anyone else runs into these problems and needs a solution or workaround.

When I first hooked it up to an Xbox, I was seeing horizontal line artifacting on the boot menu and then it wouldn't display anything at all. I switched both H and V sync polarities from their default (negative) to positive, and this made the artifacts go away. I don't have an explanation technically, but the solution was simple enough.

My Xbox was configured to use 720p and this turned out to be the cause of the post-boot display issue. Once I switched it to 480p, everything worked. When going direct via component to the HD CRT, 720p works. I'm not sure if the problem is with the Garo or the Shiny Bow RGB to SCART converter. (Yes, I now go from component to RGB back to component for my consumer CRTs. :)) This isn't a huge deal, but it's worth noting.

Overall, it's a great little device. It has allowed me to simplify my routing and makes it easier for me to get every signal sent to every display I have.
Decoryah

Post by Decoryah »

I just recently purchased Garo and was facing that purple tint problem with Wii like it has been discussed in this thread earlier. If it's any help for solving the issue or at least trying to figure out what causes it I also tested PSP Go with official component out cables and purple tint appeared with that too. In the other hand Xbox didn't have any problems.

I have another device for similar purpose which works with all those devices flawlessly: http://www.js-technology.com/store/prod ... product=16. So would that mean there's something wrong with Garo and it's not just something weird that Wii does?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Decoryah wrote:So would that mean there's something wrong with Garo and it's not just something weird that Wii does?
I've seen the "purple tint" issues with other converters.
Decoryah

Post by Decoryah »

Have you seen the purple tint problem with another console than Wii like I did with PSP Go? What I meant also was that J.S. Technology's converter I linked works with all the sources I tried so there must be something that it is doing differently meaning maybe the problem is actually fixable in Garo too?

Also I forgot to mention that I used RGB scart output with both converters in my tests.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

No, but I don't have a PSP Go to test with.
clintkolodziej

Post by clintkolodziej »

Just wanted to point out there is an ongoing discussion on the gscartsw support forum about some sync abnormalities with Garo that have been causing some issues for gscartsw users. Perhaps one of the beharbros can take a look and make some sense out of it? Perhaps this could be an enhancement made to the next revision Garo's?

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=1230

The discussion started somewhere around Page 37, there is an oscilloscope capture included.
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

Is the purple tint is still present with the vga port or just with the scart one please?
i already noticed this purple tint in grey scale with the X2VGA+ for xbox the grey looks a bit purple.
It seems that it's something recurrent with the yuv convertion to vga .
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

clintkolodziej wrote:Just wanted to point out there is an ongoing discussion on the gscartsw support forum about some sync abnormalities with Garo that have been causing some issues for gscartsw users. Perhaps one of the beharbros can take a look and make some sense out of it? Perhaps this could be an enhancement made to the next revision Garo's?

The discussion started somewhere around Page 37, there is an oscilloscope capture included.
Did anything come of this? I would love to remove parts from my chain whose only job is to rectify Garo sync issues.
clintkolodziej

Post by clintkolodziej »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
clintkolodziej wrote:Just wanted to point out there is an ongoing discussion on the gscartsw support forum about some sync abnormalities with Garo that have been causing some issues for gscartsw users. Perhaps one of the beharbros can take a look and make some sense out of it? Perhaps this could be an enhancement made to the next revision Garo's?

Did anything come of this? I would love to remove parts from my chain whose only job is to rectify Garo sync issues.
I haven't seen anything since. Last I recall gustpaz believed he had a sync bypass mod he was going to try, I haven't seen that he tried it yet, or any specs on how others can do the same mod.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The parts for the mod are stuck in customs.
beharius

Post by beharius »

We finally redesigned our Garo from the ground up. All necessary and possible upgrades were done. All the components used are SMD type. Now it has a buffered video output and better scanline engine with darker scanlines. Also its power and sync combiner stages are totally new and more reliable.
It's in production now and we are expecting to receive the boards in 3-4 weeks. We will be taking pre-orders from tomorrow (12/10) on beharbros.com. It costs $85 including an AC adapter and DHL Express shipping (1-2 days delivery)
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

When are the new and improved models shipping?
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
beharius

Post by beharius »

We are waiting for the enclosures, boards are ready.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

hey guys,
i got a Garo last night and was testing it out.

i tried it out on a VGA monitor and it looks great.
but my main reason i got it is so i can run my retro setup running everything scart into my PVM's,

unfortunately, i got big purple stripe on the wii menu going out to a 20m4u via scart and purple flashes the entire screen as i move in and out of different menus. i used two different versions of wii's, launch white and mario red (RVL-CPU-40)

i contacted Yossi who was very nice and quick to respond said it was a wii related issue. (thanks for the quick response, if you're reading this)
Later, i hooked up my pspgo via component to use scart. in order to play ps1 games over 240p via scart rather than component.

and bad news: the pspgo also exhibits a purple stripe:

i booted up some games to test and unfortunately the screen flashes purple in game consistently in specific areas.
the most distracting is dino crisis 1 psx from pspgo.
i noticed the screen flashes purple consistently during screens from grey towards white.
switching back to component input directly, i had no purple flashes or stripes.
unfortunately, this goes beyond the wii =/

going to contact Yossi to get things resolved.

this is a neat product but if you're looking as a retro gamer to play 240p games and move component signals over to scart in order to streamline all your connections, just be aware of these potential issues.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Are you using a component switch in there? I remember when the gcompsw first came out, there were reports of a purple stripe for some customers.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

SavagePencil wrote:Are you using a component switch in there? I remember when the gcompsw first came out, there were reports of a purple stripe for some customers.
no just a standard BNC to scart connector. i have two: one with sync stripper and one without. i tried both and both exhibit purple flashes and stripes via scart. (i also tried 2 seperate scart cables to make sure it's not a foul cable).
orange808

Post by orange808 »

** I have the new version as well. We're talking about the new one here. **

I'm also having issues with the Garo over SCART. This is not good. :(

** I'm not using the scanline feature. That's turned off.**

For me SCART refuses to sync with the OSSC half the time. The Wii is directly wired to Garo with official Nintendo component cables; I've never had any problems with them before. The Garo output is wired directly to the OSSC over SCART. I tried three cables. They are all known good cables. The most likely issue is Garo.

------------------------------

I also tried Garo's RGBHV "vga" output, but the results are curious.

RGBHV ("vga") syncs up just fine, but I'm having issues with burned out whites with all my sources. No purples over "vga", but the whites are way overblown.

I turned on the Wii 240p Test Suite Grey Ramp to test and there are definitely overblown whites that I don't see over direct component connections. It's pretty bad. Curiously, if you plug in a SCART cable and an HD15 ("vga") at the same time, the overblown whites go away and it looks correct using "vga" output. There is no black crush in any situation, just overblown whites. (Nothing seems to fix the SCART issues, though.)

RGBHV works, but only if you have a SCART cable also plugged in.
We apologise for the inconvenience
muggsy

Post by muggsy »

That's not cool. I thought this new version was suppose to fix the issues with the 1st version. Mine has arrived at my parents so I will get a chance to test at the weekend. I'm hoping this is something that can be ironed out. My setup will be 480p via component to RGBHV so will test my wii at the very least and my GC as well

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk