NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
wiNteR

Re: NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Post by wiNteR »

^^Yeah, I remember that actually. I was thinking of changing the phrase :p.

On a second look, the animations for this game certainly lack the finishing touch (that would expected for a game with MS quality graphics). The idea of a platform game with a time-based chain seems interesting though.
nem

Post by nem »

wiNteR wrote:I have only played MS-1 (credit cleared it though) and even though it is good, there isn't anything particularly memorable about it.
I honestly don't know what to say!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

nem wrote:
wiNteR wrote:I have only played MS-1 (credit cleared it though) and even though it is good, there isn't anything particularly memorable about it.
I honestly don't know what to say!
It's the best in the series.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^And one of the best run and gun games of all time, as well.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Anything new? Footages, words, etc.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

KB is out now. I just got it & it's not bad. C-mode reminds me a bit of Gunforce 2 with the 8-way aiming (with some weapons, swaying can give you 16 directions). The combo kill system is nice. D can be quick tapped to swap weapons or held down to lock your aim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2aDM291R2Q
A video from Vlad Imir on Youtube playing through C-mode, about 55 mins.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Heh, was wondering if they were still around just a few days ago. Wonder if we'll see them bring their games to modern consoles now that it's common for small devs to release them there.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think Kraut Buster is confirmed for a Switch release, isn't it?

I got the game a few days ago, but only had time to play it once.
I had the chance to play around with the beta version back in december though, but nothing seems to have changed since then. Which is a little unfortunate, because there are a bunch of really obvious flaws in this game that could have been fixed very easily.

My biggest issue is with the HUD though, which takes up quite a lot of space, with a bunch of different identically typed numbers, most of them unimportant. Want to quickly glance how many grenades you have left? Tough luck, bro, you'll have to find a safe place to camp while you decipher the game's spreadsheet of information.
I'd have kept the score and player information more separate, and the combo meter should have been a visualization. Displaying the number looks like debug data (which I assumed it was in the beta version)

Overall though, it's good. For all the little things that come out awkwardly (bosses are wildly unbalanced, bullets will come out from unexpected locations, and quite often it's hard to tell what killed you on a stage you aren't familiar with), the game seems to have an understanding of the broad strokes of what makes Metal Slug great. If you find a good weapon and know what you're doing, most bosses will go down extremely fast which I actually prefer to some of MS's marathon bosses.

I'm very split between T-mode, which seems to be the "default" and designed to make the game play more like a home console game, and the much more arcade-like C-mode.
On one hand, I largely prefer the unlimited ammo of the latter, but the former has the wolf mask which allows you to move at a crazy high speed, and lets you pick a path through the game, skipping 3 of the 8 (or was it 9?) different stages for a faster romp.
Overall the two are quite similar though. The most important difference is that C-mode is nearly twice as long, and doesn't have the leeway of taking an extra hit while wearing a mask.
I would really have liked a screen clearing smart bomb in C-mode as opposed to just a stronger grenade attack, though.

I credit fed through the game on C-mode. And it feels very beatable to me, with nothing coming out as unfair. The ending hints at either a sequel or a TLB. I'm hoping for the latter.
I think I'll go for an easy mode clear on T-mode first, though. Even the easy of the three selectable difficulties (the game doesn't use the typical 1-8 Neo Geo system, but lets the player pick when starting a game) still feels like a solid enough challenge to be fun.

Also, I really need to wire up my fourth button on my NAC.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

God Damn!
It made it to release, then. Fair play!
"Kraut" genocide?! No cheap sales gimmick there but let the market decide.
I merely ask that it works both ways. Fair? 8)

Maybe now is time to push ahead with my own Run and Gun, game idea.
(Please note: Provenance of Patreon donations, will be subject to careful vetting!)

(REVERSE TRIGGER WARNINGTM)
Set in the deepest evolutionary dead-end that is "DarkLand";
Aryan SafariTM, is a Glorious and gory, Run and Gun cull-fest.
There will be a Jungle, level, a Desert level and a Cordon Sanitaire cleaning-op level!

Final Glorious stage; "FORTRESS FATHERLAND", where the secret to figuring out the final solution to the invasion,
Spoiler
is to have the player finally remember why the fuck he has have been supplied with a Glorious army and God-tier killer Genes!
As for the soundtrack? Yes, you've guess it . . . Glorious!

Bonus; If the highly unlikely Patreon goal, of six million is reached;
Aryan Safari, epic "Black" Label; - "TO THE MOON"!
Spoiler
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Come on man. Nazis are fair game. I think it's accepted by now that those people are cartoon villains. But just to be safe, they made sure to make this the cartoon reflection of nazis. Just like fucking Metal Slug.
Don't turn this into a political thread on page 6.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

They more or less confirmed this for their own jamma hardware sometime in the future, but i haven’t read anything about a console port. Source?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah you're right. Standalone JAMMA units have been confirmed, but no ports.
NG Dev Team however have moved on to the Switch, and are coming out with a port of Gunlord, so we'll probably see other titles too.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Everything animates as if their spines are incapable of bending (stick up the butt)... including the animals.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

NG Dev is a bit random with ports. We don't even have a port of Razion yet. Probably way too soon to think about Kraut Buster porting.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Jeneki wrote:NG Dev is a bit random with ports. We don't even have a port of Razion yet. Probably way too soon to think about Kraut Buster porting.
True. I wouldn't mind seeing them get their earlier stuff all brought over to PS4. Good to see Gun Lord ported to Switch, but if it were on PS4, I'd get that first.

While I did buy their MVS carts, I'd gladly rebuy Gun Lord & Razion on PS4 & Vita (loved that cross-buy on Fast Striker for $7!).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
system11

Post by system11 »

I've been enjoying this one since it arrived, with the sole exception of the two rooms of endless nazi women. For me that's the part of the MS games which spoiled them the most - a reliance on spamming bullet sponge enemies at people. It's why I consider MS1 the best, followed by MS2 etc.

I'm struggling with the controls - nothing wrong with them I just tend to fumble 4 button games and keep hitting bomb instead of jump. It's their second best game IMO (I really liked Neo XYX).
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

I have also this game.
The more i play, the more i love this game.
It's true that in first gameplay, shadow of metal slug is too heavy, we analyse if graphics are detailed as metal slug etc...
But the more i play, the more i saw true identity of Kraut buster, it's not a vulgar clone.
It offers his own thing ( as ngdevteam said on facebook ) , it's dynamic ( thanks to 60fps ), fun to play and i started to see the real usefulness of masks.

System 11, i saw your youtube video of Kraut buster and i think that you had the same experience as me.
In your last message, i see that you enjoy this game more than on your first attempts. ( if we compare with your youtube video )

About metal slug, i don't know where Kraut buster will rank inside metal slug serie.

To me, Kraut buster is better than metal slug 4 and i don't know which is better between metal slug 5 and Kraut buster.

Metal slug 5 starts strong but ending is weird, it's clearly unfinished...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'd probably rank Kraut Buster above both MS4 and 5. Neither game is very memorable to me, but Kraut Buster absolutely is.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

MS5 doesn't seem clearly unfinished at all, just they didn't care enough to do an ending...

MS4 is a super cool score game.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

Ending should be different.

Concept art of the boss :

It is apparently a reference to World turtle :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Turtle

And they worked on theses sprites :

I think that after defeating this last sprite ( man with mask at the end of stage 1 ) , we have to defeat the demonic entity.

Source :

http://randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/msmia/5/co.html

http://randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/msmia/5/ug.html
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Speaking of endings, did anyone find out if Kraut Buster has a TLB?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

That's cool, but games just have things like that. In Metal Slug specifically, rumor is X is kind of a 3 prototype. That website even shows off a lot of the X stuff that ended up in 3. And then you have the unused Slug designs, all of the characters being way more anime originally, etc. I have to say this because 4 and 5 are so often targets. There's no sense in it, they're great games. A lot of it is whining about "Playmore" not being "the real SNK" or some garbage like that. It's the only SNK you ever had, morons...

People try really hard to single games out for being "rushed", but very few games are rushed to any huge degree over other games. Usually developers are smart enough to not overextend themselves when they have deadlines to meet. When they do go crazy is when drama happens that the world tends to hear about. 5 definitely wasn't rushed any more than the other games, and Metal Slug is a series where all sorts of unused stuff keeps reappearing in concept materials or in the code in the event someone wants to use those things for a later game.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that MS5 isn't KOF96 where numerous moves from the previous game were dummied out and where the system feels very buggy. That's the point when you need to be genuinely concerned about a game being "rushed".

There is absolutely a comment to be made about a lot of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3's positive reputation coming from them being rushed in very real ways. Sonic 2 has like a 1/3 of the game missing and Sonic 3 had to be split into two games because of how huge the project was. Not only that, but for a while they were being planned as two distinct types of games instead of Sonic & Knuckles basically being an expansion pack; there's almost certainly room to talk about Crackers here (unless Crackers was intended as a Sonic 4 that never really happened). The developers are also on record stating that Sonic 3 & Knuckles as it finally turned out is what Sonic 2 was supposed to have been. Never mind the early idea for time travel in Sonic 2...

Video game development is very hard, especially for a popular series. Game ideas tend to get split or combined, things can get canceled, unrelated things can become main titles by sheer chance, etc.

And no, I don't think the turtle and priest guy would have changed the final boss fights too much.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

They started a plot with the priest at the end of stage 1.
Seriously, i don't care about the turtle, but finish priest story would have given a more logical end.

But yeah, it's true that we are speaking about very good games . ( MS4 and 5 )

Sumez, about TLB i don't know.
I would be curious to see if someone can 1cc ( normal difficulty- rank silver ) T or C mode.

It was easy to update with micro-sd, very good PCB improvement.
bakedbean

Post by bakedbean »

Sumez wrote:Come on man. Nazis are fair game. I think it's accepted by now that those people are cartoon villains. But just to be safe, they made sure to make this the cartoon reflection of nazis. Just like fucking Metal Slug.
Don't turn this into a political thread on page 6.
you made a politically motivated statement though then request no one else does, just because you are i imagine sympathetic to far left ideology doesn't mean you can apply different standards to yourself than others.

It's also kind of boring lazy over done enemy, why don't we ever see soviet commie enemies? equally as deserving of such cartooning.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What the hell?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

well, you dared to imply the nazis were bad guys, didn't you know that automatically makes you an authoritarian leftist?

welcome to the internet
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

How do you evolves guys, better and better i presume ?
I'm sure that many of you reach stage 5 or even did 1CC on normal mode.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

"Kraut Buster"?

This is made by Germans, right?
That just sounds amusingly offensive.
Xyga wrote:well, you dared to imply the nazis were bad guys, didn't you know that automatically makes you an authoritarian leftist?

welcome to the internet
Over here in America, they tend to really ram the Nazi shit down your throat in school and in media, but it's like they sweep over all the Communist atrocities. Which I think explains a lot of modern political discourse.
Everything I needed to know about the Nazis, I learned from Metal Slug. "Go home to mommy!"
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

I made a small video for ngdevteam mascot and the opportunity to climb on satellites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzXM0-MkPVU