Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Stevens

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Stevens »

Haven't stuck with anything lately, but I suppose that's OK.

After 50 or 60 hours in Wasteland 2 I played a little Zero Ranger yesterday. I haven't gotten any better, but I haven't gotten any worse either:D
My lord, I have come for you.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Psyvariar on G-Net. Much better than I remember.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

bottino wrote:I'm back to basics with Hishozame.

There's some nasty artillery in this game and it really makes you feel like battling against impossible odds.
been doing this too. got the 1-ALL once and haven't been able to do it since. the last bit of stage 4 right after the second midboss and all of stage 5 give me a really hard time.

also shooting for TATSUJIN 10,000,000; best so far is 3-5, 4.2mil. it's mainly a matter of getting all the checkpoints down pat
bottino

Post by bottino »

mycophobia wrote:been doing this too. got the 1-ALL once and haven't been able to do it since. the last bit of stage 4 right after the second midboss and all of stage 5 give me a really hard time.
Yeah, my limit so far has been those two tank mid-bosses, especially the 2nd one and the zakos mixed up with it, on stage 4. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to put much time on it lately, though.
Squire Grooktook wrote:Very chunky, savage game.
Now that's a pretty much perfect definition of the game, I think.
I love it, one of the few times I'll pardon a slow move speed.
Yes, same here; for instance, I could never get into a game like Raiden or it's sequels, despite my most earnest efforts.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Ketsui. Made the stage 4 boss for the first time after not playing for a month.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

XII Stag. Weird game but I want to figure it out.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

shmupsrocks wrote:XII Stag. Weird game but I want to figure it out.
It is a bit weird and sometimes can be even annoying. Still good fun and good way to wears out your stick.
Was that the PS2 port?
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

It's the G-Net pcb. Some PCMCIA load time on boot up.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Terra Cresta 2 - such a nice game, love it. Only thing to complain about is the current price.
zak

Post by zak »

Daisenpu PCB - Love this game!
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

Darius Gaiden for Saturn. Such a beautiful game. I’m still on the easy route but I feel I can move on probably this weekend. :wink:
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Would love to play my Darius Gaiden! First I need a VGA hat for my HAS.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Battle Bakraid. Having a hard time getting into it. Anybody love this one?
ReDiR

Post by ReDiR »

Steredenn on PS3. Interesting rogue-shmup, still trying to beat it by learning boss tactics and best upgrades
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

ReDiR wrote:Steredenn on PS3. Interesting rogue-shmup, still trying to beat it by learning boss tactics and best upgrades
Top tier -
Spoiler
Shotgun, Hyper beam, Ultra laser, Impaler, Crusher, Plasma gun are all pretty good in all situations. Don't hesitate to grab any of them. Shotgun is probably the best overall. Impaler and plasma gun are really good too.
A tier -
Spoiler
Laser, and demuxer are probably the next best. Homing missles and torpedoes are a good grab if nothing else mentioned has been dropped.
The following make good back ups, but aren't anything you want as a main -
Spoiler
Shockwave, reflect, super gun, death ray, and boomerang compliment anything in the top tier nicely.
At stage end take -
Spoiler
HP up, followed by damage up. After those it would be Bullet auto, fast reload, and + bullet damage. Kind of a crap shoot after that.
My favorite set up is probably -
Spoiler
Shotgun/Impaler/Plasma gun, with reflect/boomerang/shockwave back up
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

shmupsrocks wrote:Battle Bakraid. Having a hard time getting into it. Anybody love this one?
Good starting point to get into Raizing/Eighting. I moved on once I got the 1 credit clear, but spent quite some time with it. Pretty straightfoward unless you're playing for scoring. In that case, there's a thread on this forum that covers the mechanics and its very in depth. I'm sure that Batrider or Garegga are much harder to get into (and apparently got a larger player base).
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

DoDonPachi - Saturn.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

thinking I might put Tatsujin on hold for a while to focus on Truxton II and Hishouzame. Honestly I'm not sure if I want to do the 10 mil run. Staring intently at a screen for over 2 hours without a break for the 5.9 mil run was kind of taxing by itself, though I do want to get a 4-ALL at some point. Then I'll probably call it done.
Maurener

Post by Maurener »

Trying to get the Strikers 1945 2-ALL, best I reached by now is 2-5.
My name is now MauCast
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's seriously good progress, so I know you've got it in you. :P
Marc

Post by Marc »

Bakraid, and it's amazing. Really need to get a CRT and a decent controller for my Xbox, the crystal d-pad has massive travel, and the original is awful for diagonals, plus it creaks like no controller I've ever heard before.
I'd forgotten about all the emulation discs I had knocking around. Shame I can't install them, they're a bit temperamental these days.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Tatsujin and I might love it. Between that and Raiden (1990) I might be a late 80s guy after all. I was sure I was 90s.
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

DOJ WL, day 175. Latest PB - dying on 2-5 Hachi third pattern. Of course this mistake makes this game almost impossible to clear but I had a real chance to 2-ALL this game.
Exy

Post by Exy »

just discovered Mahou Daisakusen. Lots of fun, wondering why I haven't tried it out before...
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thunder Dragon 2. Sometimes it's nice to play a shooter where you just shoot, dodge, bomb, and collect shit. One weapon, one sub, lots of bombs, and no complicated scoring system.

I dig.
garbanzox

Post by garbanzox »

Having fun with Gundhara. And I just got Sine Mora EX for Switch in the mail today, but I haven't played it yet.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Made it to the boss rush in AC Gradius II. The biggest danger is surviving the high-speed stage with options, because the Zub Rush before the boss parade is the biggest cause of my lost lives at this point. Recovery from the Zub Rush is probably the hardest thing so far.

To say nothing of the stage afterward! I sometimes don't even have a speed-up, which more or less means I'm screwed. The game is so fantastic though, even with how the speed stage screws you over with dead-ends.

I also came back to ESPGaluda after a long break. Made it to Seseri after 2 attempts, but am still pissed that the final part of stage 5 trips me up (what with enemy streams and turrets), to say nothing of Seseri's first form (total bullshit). I really want to finally put this one away after getting to the final boss several times, but am getting discouraged by st5 wall, and of course there's Jakou's final three forms which almost necessitate you getting there with 3 lives in stock.

Also grinding my way through DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours after a looong hiatus, because I finally want to see Gigantic Bite. I just wish he wasn't hidden behind 10,000 remixes of the same 20 stages and 10 bosses. I wish getting points went faster, since I just want to deck out a ship like Origin with 40 shield and just tank my way, while also not having to deal with this game's biggest sin: its overly anal and finicky burst counter.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Hellfire PCB..weapon configuration button still causing me problems in the latter stages.
Marc

Post by Marc »

R-Type 3 last night. Not for me. That first level is beyond tedious, but even subsequent levels seem to follow a pattern of having completely aimless sections, followed by one point that will pretty much kill you unless you knew it was coming, followed by more tedium then the boss. I gave up when I got to the bit on level 4 where you fly through the big crusher thing with the re-spawning turrets on the back, and the spinning arm things that you need to stay between you're being shot at, which suddenly reverse on you with no warning. It threw me back to the beginning of the stage, which is utter tedium (wait here! then.... wait here!), then the lava flow bit killed me off, and I lost all enthusiasm. I'm getting to a point where I'm not gonna force myself to play shit I'm not enjoying, every minute on this was spent with gritted teeth for one reason or another.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I have been playing a little more of Counterattack, a shmup released on Steam celebrating launch day on March 11. THe power-up system is clearly inspired by Gradius with the hook that you can collect and combine attachments and weapon modules to your fighter. Also big emphasis on local and online multiplayer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4516 ... terAttack/

A fun game to try out with friend close at home or online.