Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
bottino

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by bottino »

Sumez wrote: The harder version of that boss fights is one of the worst pieces of game design I have ever seen. It's almost impossible to avoid taking damage without cheesing the game engine in some way, and I feel like when I finally beat it, it was absolutely purely by luck.
Agreed.
And it feels so out of place in a neatly designed game like Monster World III

Making a boss (or a game, for that matter) arbitrarily harder, especially in the way MWIII did it, is always a bad choice.

A game can be as hard as it needs to be, just as long that's the product of good and sensible design choices.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Vludi wrote:Tower of Doom is essentially a block 'em up kinda like Knights of the Round, blocking gives you about 2-3 secs of i-frames giving you a window to counterattack, so if you want to get anywhere in the game try mastering the block, keep in mind that you can cancel your combos/attacks at any time in order to block in this game.
Usually my Tower of Doom runs are stopped by the Black Dragon. Is that how you're supposed to deal with him too? Block his claw and counterattack?
Blinge wrote:I'm actually really meh on the robot rematches in any MM game,
but 7's is the biggest drag. Especially that bubble twat. Fucksake why is there a delay before I can start shooting once i've been bubbled. Guess there wasn't much time to playtest it..
I like the rematches on the NES games where the robot masters last about 30 seconds each. Not so much after they started adding alternate, longer animations for taking damage from their weaknesses. In some cases it's so bad that using their weaknesses makes the fights last longer.
Sumez wrote:The harder version of that boss fights is one of the worst pieces of game design I have ever seen. It's almost impossible to avoid taking damage without cheesing the game engine in some way, and I feel like when I finally beat it, it was absolutely purely by luck.
I get what you are saying that it functions as an incentive to seek out the heart containers and lightning magics that you might have missed. Something that is otherwise sorely missed in the game. But I don't feel like that justifies this kind of boss design.
The western version is both sloppy and frustrating but in the original version you just sit in front of him and mash attack until he dies. Both are bad in a vacuum. The western version at least does some good for the rest of the game. And personally I'd rather have the cheap final boss than the forgettable one.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Sumez wrote:Thanks a lot for that! Didn't know about the i-frames!
I still haven't really found a use for the block as it is, but that also comes down to me not being too familiar with the moves of the various enemies yet. From judging the videos I've watched, it seems (logically) that the right time to block usually seems to be when you're screwing up something else, like if the enemy blocks an attack, or you misjudge your range and just miss. I'm really bad at reacting to that stuff though.
In what situation would you actually cancel a combo in order to block? I figured that if you got an enemy in a combo, they can't do anything until your combo is over.
As Ruldra said the enemies can block pretty much at any time, including your combos, so you want to cancel when the enemies have some advantageous i-frames or they outrange you (be it melee or ranged attacks). I'd say blocking comes naturally as you get more used to the game mechanics and enemy behavior, pretty much any moment is a good moment to block because most attacks are blockable, it's especially necessary against gnolls and troglodytes as they are some of the most dangerous enemies. Fighter and Elf have the disadvantage of not being able to block aerial attacks however (such as the Black Dragon claw or Troglodytes jump), so you just avoid those playing as Fighter. I think this replay gives an idea of how to block and counter-attack in the game https://youtu.be/CjaYiTgptKg?t=1777
Another important tip is attacking enemies from below them, that way you can attack them but they can't attack you, especially useful with skeletons. As for the shadow elf only approach him when he gives you an opening and try timed hits instead of combos, don't stay in his line from a distance because he'll cast LB, use rings as well. If he casts haste all you can do is stay in a corner and block until it's over, only move when he casts LB or do an aerial attack (blockable only as Cleric/Dwarf), but they are pretty hard to dodge.
Vanguard wrote:Usually my Tower of Doom runs are stopped by the Black Dragon. Is that how you're supposed to deal with him too? Block his claw and counterattack?
Black Dragon has a bunch of strategies, let's start with the cheese buggy one: just when he appears use a LB ring (the one you get in the first cave) and he'll be stunned for like 4/5 seconds where you can do a lot of free damage, alternatively you can use a properly timed jump+attack when he appears and it has the same effect, but timing is tricky, here's a couple demos https://youtu.be/nWyR2UZZim4?t=554 https://youtu.be/KYEbAxJQCgM?t=708. Funnily enough you can't LB the dragon as Dwarf because he's too small.
The other important thing to know it that he will do an acid breath three times in the fight, as he keeps losing HP. You can avoid those either just moving or casting any magic/ring as it cancels the breath.
The other strategy is only for Dwarf/Cleric, and it's what you said in your post: stay in a corner and block his claw and then counter attack with hammers or melee, here a demo: https://youtu.be/99kkKeiRypY?t=946
Run+ jump attacks are good too, but more risky than the previous ones.
Last edited by Vludi on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:50 am, edited 36 times in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Vanguard wrote:Usually my Tower of Doom runs are stopped by the Black Dragon. Is that how you're supposed to deal with him too? Block his claw and counterattack?
Most important thing you need to know about the Black Dragon is that you can cancel the acid breath by using spells or magic items. It will always start the fight with the breath, then use it two more times as it takes damage. It's good to know when it generally happens so you can prepare to cancel the attack.

Other than that, Elf can dispatch the dragon quickly by using every spell she has. No idea how to manage it with the other classes.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Despatche wrote: It's not really related to 8 or Mega Man & Bass either. Those two games are related to each other, though.

8 used to be hated back in the day, but it's starting to get more respect. Hopefully 7 will too.
It's related in the sense that those three games tend to be the ones that people consider "the bad Mega Man games". Rockman & Forte probably got some leeway for being an import-only title for a while, though.
I actually really liked 8 back in the day when it came out. I think it does a good job at making the robot master weapons work as utilities in more obvious ways.

I'd possibly like 7 if it didn't have a bunch of places where I just actively dislike playing it. As I said, it's mostly a bunch of the bosses.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Despatche wrote:Mega Man 7 is seriously enjoyable. It's good specifically because it's not yet another NES Mega Man; we had six of the darned things.
I like 7, but I don't agree it's good at simply because it's not a NES Mega Man game. There were already 2 SNES MMX games before it and 7 didn't play as well as X1 and 2, GB MM 4 and 5, or the better NES MM games. 7 felt like a step back compared to the new mechanics of the X series.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Despatche wrote:Mega Man 7 is seriously enjoyable. It's good specifically because it's not yet another NES Mega Man; we had six of the darned things.
I see where you're coming from here. The differences made it fresh enough in my mind that I did enjoy much of the game.

When it comes to Burst man, I was mad cuz bad. Just wasn't jumping enough to avoid his bubbles and trying to shoot through them all.
I had to save state practice that final boss and on the real attempt I burned through every single E & S tank I had. Without charging the coils to make them bounce there's no way I would've done enough damage. Them shots are so hard to dodge that it seemed impossible to me except the times I managed to dodge them and sliding under the rest felt awesome. Hated the Bass fights.

I'd say I moderately enjoyed it.
Onto 8!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Blinge wrote:Them shots are so hard to dodge that it seemed impossible to me except the times I managed to dodge them and sliding under the rest felt awesome.
One thing you can/should do is using the Thunder Bolt after hitting Wily with a charged coil - this only works if he isn't all the way up on the screen, of course, but if you can get a hit in, he won't shoot out the orbs at all, he merely releases the electric discharge on the ground. That way, you can prevent probably more than half of his patterns unless you get extraordinarily unlucky. Dodging the orbs is obviously also dependent on your position and Wily's, but I find that if you jump shortly before they move the second time (towards where there's going to be a gap if you were to imagine their movement; as a procatalepsis, if that makes sense) you can usually get over some and then slide under the rest. It's not fool-proof, but between that and the Thunder Bolt, I can usually take out Wily without having to use more than a couple of E tanks.

I'd recommend using autofire against Burst Man just for laughs. He's rather ill-prepared for that particular threat. Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Playing a Mega Man game with auto-fire feels extremely dirty :o
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I'm certainly inclined to agree, although it's usually not horribly efficacious - you can only have a maximum of three bullets on the screen at once which means that it's only useful for point-blanking enemies, yet most of them have invincibility frames after getting hit anyway. Having said that, I did get curious during the Burst Man fight and decided to just switch it on to see how it would do against the bubbles; it's indeed unmitigated slaughter for they don't indulge in invincibility whatsoever, meaning that Burst Man's offensive will cease before it even starts. It's pretty funny to witness, honestly.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's not bad for most bosses, but for regular enemies and minibosses, especially in the first three games, autofire feels ridiculously overpowered.
MM11 has it built in, and I still felt bad when using it.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Should've noted that I specifically had 7 in mind with my statements - I have played through the rest of the classic games up until 10, but it's been a while and I'm not an ardent disciple of the series as I've mentioned. In 7, I can only think of two instances where autofire does make any difference whatsoever: the crab mid-boss in Burst Man's stage and Burst Man's bubbles. Every other enemy either dies so quickly it doesn't even matter, has invincibility frames or another weakness such as the Junk Shield, Thunder Bolt or the Slash Claw (not to mention the charged-up rocket punch which kills about every non-boss in a single hit) that you'd have to be daft to even consider autofire as your standard option.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Vludi wrote:Black Dragon has a bunch of strategies, let's start with the cheese buggy one: just when he appears use a LB ring (the one you get in the first cave) and he'll be stunned for like 4/5 seconds where you can do a lot of free damage, alternatively you can use a properly timed jump+attack when he appears and it has the same effect, but timing is tricky, here's a couple demos https://youtu.be/nWyR2UZZim4?t=554 https://youtu.be/KYEbAxJQCgM?t=708. Funnily enough you can't LB the dragon as Dwarf because he's too small.
The other important thing to know it that he will do an acid breath three times in the fight, as he keeps losing HP. You can avoid those either just moving or casting any magic/ring as it cancels the breath.
The other strategy is only for Dwarf/Cleric, and it's what you said in your post: stay in a corner and block his claw and then counter attack with hammers or melee, here a demo: https://youtu.be/99kkKeiRypY?t=946
Nice, thanks! I'll definitely give those a try next time I play ToD.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I recorded a playthrough of Wonder Boy in Monster World. Sumez was right, The Dragon's Trap is the best one.

One thing I've found helps a lot against the western version of Biomeka is switching out your legend boots for your trusty old marine boots. The marine boots' better jumping height makes it 10 times easier to avoid the buzz saw, and their lower speed makes it easier to get close to Biomeka without touching him. A no damage kill is still unrealistic, but it is at least enough to beat him consistently, and without healing items. I kind of choked in the video by being too aggressive. When I got caught on the buzz saw I should've backed off rather than try to land hits during mercy invincibility. Also for some reason colliding with Biomeka on the ground does way more damage than if you bump into him in the air. It's strong enough that his invincible first form can kill you for real if you walk into him at low health.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The original Monster World is too different to directly compare to the later games like that. Not really surprising in Wonder Boy, a series with what is probably the most annoying branding in video games... even Dragon Slayer makes more sense.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Despatche wrote:The original Monster World is too different to directly compare to the later games like that. Not really surprising in Wonder Boy, a series with what is probably the most annoying branding in video games... even Dragon Slayer makes more sense.
Vanguard's not referring to the original Monster Land/Monster World. Monster World was also the name used for the western version of Wonder Boy V.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Or more accurately, I guess, Monster World 3.
Vludi wrote: Black Dragon has a bunch of strategies, let's start with the cheese buggy one: just when he appears use a LB ring (the one you get in the first cave) and he'll be stunned for like 4/5 seconds where you can do a lot of free damage, alternatively you can use a properly timed jump+attack when he appears and it has the same effect, but timing is tricky, here's a couple demos https://youtu.be/nWyR2UZZim4?t=554 https://youtu.be/KYEbAxJQCgM?t=708. Funnily enough you can't LB the dragon as Dwarf because he's too small.

Wow, I wish I had noticed this specific post before the weekend! I played a lot of ToD games, and did two co-op attempts with my friend, which was the whole reason for me picking up this game now.

Every single game was ended by that stupid black dragon fight.
I definitely wish I'd known the LB trick. That said, these videos makes the breath look super easy to avoid, which it absolutely isn't. I don't think I've managed a single fight against that dragon so far without getting hit at least once. And with that out of the way, getting damage in is pretty difficult too (though the block/hammer combo seems solid, any reason it won't work for fighter or elf?).
What I have seen, and which I tried to pull off was doing running jump attacks through the dragon's body, but like you said those are very risky. Basically, I seem to get knocked out mid-jump by the dragon more than half the times I attempt them, and I can't seem to find out if there's a way to predict that, and time the attacks so it doesn't happen.

RE: Your talk about the game being a "block'em up" and pretty much every non-boss attack being blockable, I guess I don't know how to read that. Because I tried relying more on blocking, and just kept getting knocked out by a bunch of attacks anyway. The gnolls seem to be pretty consistently blockable, but everyone else seem to be able to just attack through my shield with a regular blow, whenever they feel like it, including lowly skeletons.
The only thing that works for me, in regards to block, is quickly switching into a block when in a situation where I can't realistically pull off an attack fast enough, or immediately after an enemy blocked my attack.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Sumez wrote:(though the block/hammer combo seems solid, any reason it won't work for fighter or elf?).
Because of what I stated before, they have better blocking for aerial attack (Cleric more so than Dwarf iirc). I'd go for the LB bug if I were you, using the fighter you can easily kill the dragon at least on default difficulty: https://youtu.be/O53E2YSeacs?t=765
Sumez wrote:RE: Your talk about the game being a "block'em up" and pretty much every non-boss attack being blockable, I guess I don't know how to read that. Because I tried relying more on blocking, and just kept getting knocked out by a bunch of attacks anyway. The gnolls seem to be pretty consistently blockable, but everyone else seem to be able to just attack through my shield with a regular blow, whenever they feel like it, including lowly skeletons.
The only thing that works for me, in regards to block, is quickly switching into a block when in a situation where I can't realistically pull off an attack fast enough, or immediately after an enemy blocked my attack.
I'd still maintain blocking is pretty important, not only for gnolls but troglodytes, ogres, skelies and even some bosses, but learning enemy behavior and how to move is of course just as important so yeah, stuff like the Hellhound's fire is obviously not blockable and pure maneuvering and since you are using fighter you have more trouble blocking aerial attacks. As for skeletons again, try attacking them from below their line so that way they can't attack you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Just out of curiosity what genre would Paperboy fit under?

Arcade action?

Adolescent work simulator? :lol:
My lord, I have come for you.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

As I've mentioned, I've been on a SFC/SNES spree lately - I shall post a sesquipedalian post in the near future wherein I'll expound which games I consider to be essential, good or deficient (of those I've cleared and of those I'm at least somewhat familiar with). For the nonce, however, you can test your knowledge of the system! I've merged 100 1CC pictures together - acquiring some of those was trickier than actually clearing the game in question, let me tell you -, how many do you recognize? Just open the spoiler to witness the picture in its screen-filling glory.
Spoiler
I will give away the very first game since I'm a considerate person: that one is Metal Warriors. I definitely wanted to make sure that I get a souvenir out of this excruciatingly tough game, yet there's an escape sequence directly after the final boss - thus, I've quickly paused the game, which unfortunately brings up a map which mostly obscures the view. Oh well.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Stevens wrote:Just out of curiosity what genre would Paperboy fit under?

Arcade action?

Adolescent work simulator? :lol:
I'd say arcade action is proper. :)
Perikles wrote:As I've mentioned, I've been on a SFC/SNES spree lately - I shall post a sesquipedalian post in the near future wherein I'll expound which games I consider to be essential, good or deficient (of those I've cleared and of those I'm at least somewhat familiar with). For the nonce, however, you can test your knowledge of the system! I've merged 100 1CC pictures together - acquiring some of those was trickier than actually clearing the game in question, let me tell you -, how many do you recognize? Just open the spoiler to witness the picture in its screen-filling glory.
Monumental work! I'll be eagerly looking forward for that list.

My list, From left to right, top to bottom:
Spoiler
1st Row
Metal Warriors :)
???
MUSHA Aleste (not sure, seems Compile at least)
???
Ninja Gaiden III (I think, not NG1 at least)
Twinbee (I think)
???
???
???
PC Denjin

2nd Row
Double Dragon
one of the Megaman X games :)
Phalanx
???
Super Star Force
Ikari Yousai
???
GS Mikami: Joreishi Wa Nice Body
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
???

3rd Row
Parodius (either Gokujou or Sexy, haven't played either nearly far enough to tell :) )
Gen-san something (can't recall the correct name :) )
Earthworm Jim (don't know which :) )
Zenki something (can't recall the correct name :) )
UN Squadron
???
???
Final Fight 3
???
???

4th Row
Super R-Type
Thunder Force
??? (seems similar to the Turrican games?)
Actraiser
Ninja Warriors
Contra III
???
Magical Pop 'n
???
??? (Seems like Raiden?)

5th Row
???
Rocket Knight (I think, can't recall if this is the correct name)
Ghost Chaser Densei
one of the Kiki Kaikai games :)
Cho Makaimura
???
???
???
???
???

6th Row
Megaman 7
one of the Parodius games :)
The Firemen
Castlevania IV
???
???
???
???
???
???

7th Row
???
Super Adventure Island
one of the R-Type games :)
one of the Parodius games :)
Actraiser 2 (I think)
???
Final Fight Guy
???
Earthworm Jim (don't know which :) )
one of the Kiki Kaikai games :)

8th Row
Gradius III
one of the Ganbare Goemon games :)
???
Rushing Beat Shura (I think)
Magic Sword
one of the R-Type games :)
???
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Wild Guns
???

9th Row
Batman Returns
???
???
???
Castlevania XX
R2: Rendering Ranger (I think)
Aero Fighters (I think)
Sky Blazer
Super Turrican (I think)

10th Row
???
???
???
Cotton
???
???
???
King Of Dragons
Hagane (I think)
Damn, I'm pretty terrible at this. :(
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Damn Perikles, you're a beast! A ton of games on that list I've never been close to being able to 1cc.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Great collage there!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ok, I went through every single picture and added my guess. A couple of thoughts first:

Lots of stuff I didn't recognize here. Surprised the SNES still holds so many secrets. (please share)
Way more shooters on the platform than I realized. Didn't recognize most of them.
How long did this take you??? I managed 52 games for the first time last year, and a lot of them definitely weren't 1CCs (only the genres/individual titles where I thought that matters). 1cc'ing 100 hardcore action titles is one hell of an undertaking!

Anyway, my guesses:
Spoiler
1. That map looks familiar. Metal Warriors?
2. No clue, but I bet I could google that boss name.. Looks interesting.
3. This looks awesome. I feel like I should know this.
4. Hook! Kinda fun game.
5. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. Why would you subject yourself to this?
6. Twinbee something
7. I'm impressed by anyone putting time into B-fighters on the SNES
8. Not even sure what's going on here. Looks like some Valis-like thing?
9. Shooter games all look alike :3
10. Well that's a pretty damn easy one. Super Genjin.

11. Double Dragon... Super?
12. It would be really weird if I couldn't recognize Mega Man X3
13. Really not into SNES shooties :S
14. Sunset Riders :3
15. Whatever this is, it looks really cool. Old-school 80s style shooter?
16. Hmm.. Trinea?? This is another one I really want to know.
17. I'd assume this is War of the Gems.
18. Ghost Sweeper Mikami, this one is pretty high on my to-do list. Would love to hear what you think.
19. Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. Another one that's hard to mistake..
20. I feel like the Konami font should give this away, but I really have no idea.

21. Finally an easy shooter - Oshaberi Parodius
22. Daiku.. Gen.. Hammerin' Harry
23. Earthworm Jim, really?
24. One of the Zenki game. Really love the graphics in this one.
25. Looks like Area 88?
26. One of those SD Great Battle games... 4 or 5?
27. Shooty McShootyfluff
28. Haggar Goes To Town
29. Plok!
30. Darius Something

31. Well, either R-Type III or Super R-Type
32. Shoot Blam Blam
33. This one I really want to know
34. Ok, back into familiar territory with good old Actraiser.
35. and 36. A couple of local thread favourites here, I won't even lower myself to "guess" them.
37. I feel kind of bad for missing all the other shooters, but recognizing Axelay
38. Magical Pop'n! :D
39. The Manga Game
40. Are there even this many shooters on the SNES?

41. Another one I need to know. Please get back to me.
42. Sparky boy!
43. Ghost Chaser something?
44. Pockyrockykaikai
45. I'm really glad you played this one.
46. Obviously a Salamander demake
47. :|
48. I feel like I know this one, but I can't figure it out. I need to know
49. What's even going on here?
50. Looks nice, but probably isn't.
51. Mega Man 7 :3
52. Parodius Da!
53. Firemans
54. Demon Castle Dracula
55. More shooting adventures
56. Really unique graphics, so I'm gonna guess Rendering Ranger?
57. Psycho Dream probably?
58. X-Kaliber Number. Forgot the Japanese title, but the western release scrapped the Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack for some techno band :D
59. I had no idea the SNES had awesome stuff like this, I'll subscribe to this one too.
60. And this one! I need to know!

61. Can't make anything out of this, but it looks sweet.
62. Adventure Island feat. Yuzo Koshiro
63. See the other R-Type response, reverse
64. Gokujyou Parodius
65. Actraiser 2
66. Another one I need to know. Where did you find this?
67. Guy Goes to Town.
68. Darius something
69. Another Earthworm Jim. I can't believe you endured this.
70. Pockykaikikirocky 2

71. Gradius 333 Extra Lives
72. Angry Ninja who is also mystical
73. Majyuouuyyoouy
74. Dead In The Snow
75. Magic Sword :D
76. I feel like this is probably Biometal, but I never played it.
77. This looks fun
78. Battletoads & Double Dragon
79. Wild Wild West feat. Will Smith
80. Is this a game or a piece of hardware?

81. Batman Comes Back
82. Mega Man XBox One
83. Ninja Kid Something
84. Shoot 1
85. Shoot 2
86. Worst Dracula boss in the series, but one of my favourite titles overall.
87. Wait. THIS is Rendering Ranger.
88. Shoot 3
89. Skyblazeur
90. Super Turrican or Super Turrican 2

91. That Macross game
92. The Cybernator game, but in Japanese with suicide stuff
93. More Shooting
94. Even More Shooting. Just kidding, it's Cotton.
95. SONIC-BLAST-MAN 00 PUSH START
96. X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
97. Space Megaleste
98. I guess that guy is now the kind of dragons
99. X2
100. Hagane <3
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

That's quite the list.
Spoiler
Cosmo Gang.
Dion.
Hook.
NG Trilogy, NG3 final boss.
One of the TwinBee games, I forget which ones are on SNES.
Damn it, I forget what this is.
Never seen this before.
D-Force.
One of the Super Genjins, I guess the first?

Either Revenge or Super Double Dragon, I forget the differences unfortunately. I guess we can just call it "Double Dragon IV" though...
Rockman X3 with that blingin' Gold Chip.
Phalanx.
Sunset Riders.
Caravan Shooting Collection, playing Star Soldier.
Ikari no Yousai.
War of the Gems.
GS Mikami.
Battlemaniacs.
Dezaemon/Daioh Gale?

Parodius, uh, I'm not good with these either. Is it Gokujou?
Ganbare Daiku no Gen-san.
The first Earthworm Jim.
Fuckin' Zenki. What a silly series.
Area 88.
I cheated for this one. SD Gundam 2.
Blazeon.
Final Fight Tough.
Unfortunately the game's title is in the corner. Never actually played it.
Darius Twin.

Souper Aurrr-Type.
Thunder Spirits.
Super Turrican 2.
Actraiser.
Ninja Warriors Again.
Contra Spirits.
Axelay.
Magical Pop'n.
Seems familiar but I haven't got the slightest clue.
Raiden Densetsu.

Don't think I've seen this before...
Sparkster.
Ghost Chaser Densei.
The second Kiki Kaikai. Cheated for this one too, haven't played the Natsume Kiki Kaikai's in an age.
Makai Ball Super.
Caravan Shooting Collection, playing Hector '87.
Strike Gunner.
RUNSABER.
Never seen this before.
A Megazord boss from the first Power Rangers.

I GONNA DO WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE YEARS AGO!!!
aaaaaaaa uh is this Da!???
The Firemen.
Akumajo remake.
Super EDF.
Spriggan Powered.
Psycho Dream.
Strangely I don't know what this is. Looks cool though?
I kinda thought this was Bakuretsu Rantouden at first. Fwahaha. No idea.
Also no idea, looks cute though.

Also no idea?
The first Bouken Ball Super.
Aurrr-Type III.
Fuck, man. Jikkyou? I don't wanna cheat with Parodius!!!
ActRaiser 2.
Super Valis.
Final Fight Guy. Bet you thought you could trick people with this one, but not me!
Darius Force.
Earthworm Jim 2.
And here's the first Kiki Kaikai.

Gradius III with all the lives.
English Goemon 1. The English text is kind of a giveaway.
Majuu Ou.
Uhhh. I forget which Rushing Beat this is. Gonna say Shura?
Magic Sword.
Bio Metal.
How do I not know what this is...
Double Dragon with the occasional Battletoad.
Funny Wild Guns, sticking your name in the UI like a Touhou game.
Also not sure why I don't know what this is.

Batman Returns.
Rockman X.
Ninja Ball Super. Joke's getting old, I know.
Acrobat Mission.
Tekkaman Blade.
Dracula XX.
Rendering Ranger.
Sonic Wings.
Karura Ou.
Ah, here's Super Turrican. Was wondering if it was even gonna be here.

Scrambled Valkyrie.
Valken.
Super SWIV.
Cotton 100%.
Shame that the character is also the name of the game here. I don't know which one it is though, I haven't played either of those.
Oh shit, wasn't sure if this was gonna be here either. Mutant Apocalypse.
Super Aleste.
The King of Dragons.
Rockman X2.
Hagane.
I got a lot more of these than I was expecting to...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Thanks a lot, guys! I figured it'd make for an appropriate entree for the appurtenant wall of text. I unfortunately didn't have enough material to create the next-biggest square which is why a few games are missing where I didn't get any picture or at least a decent one (brawlers can be particularly finicky in my experience, my end result snapshots for e.g. Final Fight (2), TMNT and Pirates of the Dark Water are rather dull).

Regarding the amount of time invested - I've started around 2010 with consciously clearing games on the system, starting with shmups (where I eventually cleared them all as far as I know & as far as conventional wisdom in the light of genre rubrication holds; afterwards I've cleared the other 16-bit shmups on the PCE CD/HuCard, the MD and MCD) and a few selected platformers before I expanded the scope with other various platformers and brawlers (the latter of which only happened a few months ago aside from a handful of exceptions like The Ninja Warriors Again and Battletoads & Double Dragon). As such, this most assuredly didn't happen overnight, although I've been fairly productive in the last weeks. Some shmups also took me a long time on and off - usually not the raw clear or 1-ALL, but a few of the 2-ALLs (Pop'n TwinBee especially, also Parodius Da!, R-Type III and Sonic Wings) and the Gradius III counterstop, of course.

Onto the actual recommendations and such - feel free to ask more about specific games, this post will be Brobdingnagian as is and I didn't want to inflate it even more! I found BIL's MD recommendation list format appealing, and since the expropriation of lucubration is a badge of honour for the theft victim, I'll even borrow the colour coding. :mrgreen: I'm a bit scrupulous when it comes to recommending games I haven't cleared (or merely beaten in the case of a handful of action-adventures/-RPGs) yet, thus I decided to talk about a few down below. I'm also unabashedly subjective here (not that it will safe me now that Despatche has his keen eyes on the thread Image), although I do try to put caveats where they belong. One game I do like probably more than most people around here which is still not on the list is the first Earthworm Jim (the second one, while not outright bad, is too diluted with several gimmick stages to be continuously enjoyable) simply because the MD version is considerably better - if that's not an option/interesting for you, I would still recommend it on the SFC!

Recommendations

Acrobat Mission (peculiar port of a peculiar game; one of the two weapons is bugged thanks to the consuetudinarily excellent work of Micronics, most of the rest of the game is replicated duly; I also enjoy the SFC instrumentation of the soundtrack a lot more - while it may look like an awkward game, it is unexpectedly good and a considerable challenge)
ActRaiser (enchanting melange of competently stiff platforming and God simulation parts which is arguably - and magically - better than the sum of its parts; it should be noted that the US version is both slightly superior in certain aspects (controls, graphics) and considerably easier during the action parts, which I personally prefer over the sometimes downright mean SFC version - the aforementioned slightly clumsy controls don't lend themselves to harrowing platforming with a plethora of spikes, I'm afraid)
ActRaiser 2 (possibly my favourite game on here; the quintessential representation of beautiful SFC graphics, replete with appropriate symbolism, and a ponderous, august score to go along with it; judicious use of invincibility frames, deactivating enemies' hitboxes and magic utilization is key to victory in this fittingly tough quest; in this case, the US version is considerably harder than the SFC original, I'd recommend trying both out, the perfect difficulty would lie somewhere in-between in my opinion)
Akumajou Dracula/Super Castlevania IV (while it does lack the tautness and intensity of other games in the series to reach accustomed lofty heights, it's still a suitably moody, decent adventure if you happen to fancy a long credit which only slowly builds up difficulty)
Akumajou Dracula XX/Castlevania: Dracula X (while overall clearly inferior compared to the source material, it's still a quality game with some eminent standouts such as the Clocktower)
Area 88/U.N. Squadron (vastly improved over the rather bland arcade game, with materially stronger stages & epic boss fights; grinding/convoys can be a trifle annoying, but you don't have to do much if you don't want to)
Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator (essential mecha cinematic experience with commensurable bouts of utter destruction, inimitable balance between short range and long range weaponry as well as exigency for offensive and defensive tools in general)
Axelay (some great horizontal stages paired with so-so vertical ones, betimes incredibly tense atmosphere (final stage!) and unusual - for better or for worse - weaponry)
Batman Returns (immensely Final Fight-esque when it comes to the kinetic impact of your attacks (which also do a lot of damage usually) and cracking sound effects; would've been excellent if not for a few frustrating boss fights)
Battletoads & Double Dragon (while not a must by any means, I do enjoy the focus on nimble dash attacks - game also has fantastic music and a few surprisingly fun boss fights)
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (I do enjoy the memorization-heavy, variegated style of Battletoad games myself, and this game in particular is a great ad usum delphini re-imagination of the very first game in the sense that it only has six true stages, making the necessary memorization very bearable)
BioMetal (the best shmup on the system as far as I'm concerned; the utmost focus on belligerence, the solemn soundtrack (play the SFC version!), the oppressive bio-horror, the swift ship speed, everything is superb)
Caravan Shooting Collection (I suppose this one needn't be here - it's not a disaster like the Ninja Ryukenden trilogy on the SFC, but the graphical improvements are either imperceptible or even slightly detrimental; it is, however, a convenient way of having the excellent Hector '87 and the unswervingly solid SFC Star Force in one cart, just ignore that godawful Star Soldier game)
Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (very mild memorizer for practical purposes, most of it can be circumvented with a bit of dexterity; remarkably multifaceted with creative stages and bosses, rounded off with a top-notch audiovisual presentation; definitely one of the best shmups on the system)
Choumakaimura/Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (a lot more methodical and slower-paced than other games in the series, making this one considerably easier than those in my opinion, although still demanding in its own right; fundamentals & theme are expertly implemented as per usual)
Chrono Trigger (not exigent for the subject matter of this list whatsoever, but I had to mention it; this and Valkyrie Profile are the only (primarily) traditional RPGs I tend to revisit after a while which is the highest praise I can give for a member of this genre; it has its flaws as the genre itself delineates them, within those boundaries, however, I find this to be an immaculate game)
Contra Spirits/Contra 3 (culmination of RNG-/adrenaline-driven action without surcease, one grand setpiece is followed by the next one; I even happen to like the vertical stages myself - keep in mind that you fight the TLB on the default settings only in the SFC version, it appears only on Hard in other versions)
Combatribes, The (customarily violent Technos brawler with succinct, poignant stages that don't waste time whatsoever and throw you right into the action; the learning curve is rather steep at the beginning, but there are reliable strategies for every and all encounters, including the infamous final boss, which allows players to revel in said orgy of brutality, getting through the game in no time at all; my only complaint would be a handful of instances where a double occupancy of buttons lead to frustrating moments, it's fortunately nowhere near bad enough to seriously harm the experience)
Cosmo Gang: The Video (when I first played this game with considerably less experience in the genre, I hated it; now that I can also appreciate fixed verticals, my evaluation has improved significantly - while doubtlessly a degraded port of the original arcade game, the decrease in difficulty is warranted for the original Cosmo Gang is excruciatingly tough; instead, this one is an austere score rush which is quite a rare feat for 16-bit systems)
Darius Force/Super Nova (has a much stronger stage design than many other games in the series, also a powerfully wistful soundtrack to go along the customarily strong boss battles)
Darius Twin (fairly average, admittedly toothless entry in the renowned series, still has a handful of memorable boss fights and some decent tunes; can certainly be skipped, though)
Demon's Blazon/Demon's Crest (hauntingly gorgeous action adventure that does make a few compromises on the gameplay front for said unmatched style; not as uncompromising as its predecessors, yet still offering a fantastic array of stages and particularly bosses)
Edono Kiba (one of the most unique games I've ever played; it looks like a compositum mixtum of Ghost Chaser Densei and Hagane (even has some of the hoverboard stages of the latter), plays mostly like a brawler with forced scrolling - the execution is somewhat mediocre and marred by repetition to even achieve some 25 minutes of gameplay, yet some of the vignettes are surprisingly excellent, I'm glad I sticked with it)
Final Fight 2 (this one is only reluctantly here for I feel like this one is by far the worst of the series; not an entire mess like e.g. Cosmo Police Galivan II, the fundamentals are just fine, but immensely tedious - you're constantly chipping away at enemies' health even when using infinites, that's at least the impression I got out of it, I can't shake the feeling I'm being too harsh on the game, however)
Final Fight Guy (performs better than the vanilla Final Fight SFC port, meaning that dropped inputs are rather rare; while still not a particularly faithful or adequate conversion, I personally cherished the mixture of lowered difficulty (which is still not easy whatsoever!) and resemblance of the arcade game on an audiovisual level, it was a very satisfying experience to clear this game for me)
Final Fight Tough/Final Fight 3 (perfect consolization of the brawler formula - favouring flashy, tremendously satisfying super moves and sthenic combos instead of overtly precise manouevering and proper spacing for an entertaining, explosive romp)
Firemen, The (incredibly cinematic & expressive top-down shooter with an enviable sense of dramaturgy; while not a difficult game whatsoever, the timer, setting and assessment at the end of the game create real, palpable exigency at any given moment - not only your own character controls well, your companion is almost distressingly astute, consistently providing help during busier moments)
Flying Hero: Bugyuru no Daibouken (complaisant, cute vertical shooter on a system that does lack in this particular niche; mayhap a little bit too simple, yet consistently well-designed and blessed with an impeccable sense of pacing)
Front Mission: Gun Hazard (really enjoyable coalescence of the Valken formula with RPG elements, albeit the beginning is somewhat halting as it is not a lot of fun to play with a weak, limited mecha; the amount of details in the visual department are nothing short of breathtaking, definitely one of the best-looking games on the system)
F-Zero (flagship racing game on the SFC for good reason - the vivacious sense of speed, the imaginative visuals which manage to combine mode 7 excess with a spotless presentation, the iconic soundtrack, it's all handled masterfully; my only complaint as a layman of the genre is that the non-participant cars/drones can completely demolish an otherwise great run of yours, and they seem incredibly superfluous to me)
Ganbare Daiku no Gensan (adorable whack-a-mole platformer that's restrained by slightly awkward controls (to toss the hammer, you have to press U, UF, F instead of the much more conventional Hadouken motion, for reasons unbeknownst to me) and idiosyncratic boss battles where you're best off to abuse the atomic hammer special; effulgent visuals and some neat levels near the end of the game on the other hand)
Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyuushutsu Emaki/Legend of the Mystical Ninja, The (utterly fantastic adventure type action platformer - I unconditionally love how creative they were to craft not only clever stages, but make them visually splendid and distinct from one another every time; the balance between tossing coins and using your main weapon is likewise sagaciously handled, I find - if I had to utter one complaint, it'd be that the hit detection during the adventure mode can sometimes be questionable, a minimal amount of memorization and proper weapon usage shuts your foes down immediately, though; I haven't played other games in the series yet, but I heard the second one doesn't require much knowledge of the Japanese language, so I'm very eager to check it out soon!)
Ghost Chaser Densei (stupendously deep & technical brawler; everything can be juggled, usually even several times in a row, meaning that you have a stellar combo system at your hands, only cemented by an incredible move set available; also a tough clear on account of a tricky final stage where crowd control is just as important as proceeding quickly due to the timer; my only gripe is with the final boss against whom I had to use the infinite throw trick to stand a reliable chance, perfect game otherwise)
Gokujou Parodius (debonair conversion of the sanguinary arcade game; slowdown and flicker can get intense, just like in Gradius III, it's always predictable, mercifully - this is also one of the few games where I actually enjoy checkpoint milking, the Special Stage of this port has the perfect difficulty for that in my opinion)
Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou (bizarre brawler from the Cho Aniki folks with outstanding visuals; stunning enemies and doing a cataclysmic pile driver as a follow-up is always delectable as well, naturally)
Gousou Shinrai Densetsu: Musya/Musya (regrettably leaves an extremely bad first impression with its awkward controls and a protagonist that is pitifully weak; however, if you pick up all the upgrades, you go from underpowered to overpowered in the span of three stages, and the game is relaxing from there; the insolent recycling of the selfsame first three stages is frankly a joke, too; I was nevertheless regaled by the supreme visual design and some of the finer points in the game design to a point that I could ignore those issues)
Gradius III (exponentially easier conversion of the legendary arcade game, all whilst keeping the grandiose space opera essence intact; I absolutely love the game for it, the abundant slowdowns effectuated my italicizing all the same)
GS Mikami: Joreishi wa Nice Body (howbeit one of Natsume's weaker outputs on the system, this is still more than adequate; striking with the staff is a snappy, agile affair, switching between quick platforming and swiping away a few enemies feels very organic, boss fights are perfectly suited for the overall parameters of the game)
Hagane (another absolute favourite of mine; charismatic ninja action which handsomely rewards players to successively become better; while the basic controls are more than enough to efficaciously clear the game, it always leaves room for improvement on grounds of the extensive move set, thus creating countless opportunities to find stylish solutions against the cornucopia of bosses)
Ikari no Yousai/Operation Logic Bomb: The Ultimate Search & Destroy (top-down shooter which thematically resembles a weird gallimaufry between a sci-fi board game like StarQuest or Space Hulk and Soul Blazer (what with the weird analepses and recreating of the world); while a decent strafing and across-the-corner shooting experience from the get-go and especially after obtaining some of the juicier weapons, it only has a handful of enemy types and a minuscule amount of bosses, among them a single threatening one; as is, it is a solid framework with a woeful paucity of intense or clever moments)
Jikkyo(u) Oshaberi Parodius (while a competent game, the slowdowns in this particular version are even worse than in Gradius III; thus, I'd recommend playing the 32-bit iterations instead as they are bereft of those deficiencies, also sporting some alterations in stage & boss design)
Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero (fabulously expressive Satellaview platformer with barely any difficulty at all; setting up infinite combos was never easier, although it is still satisfying due to the meaty sound effects and visual; thanks to the nimble movement speed, there is a sense of having crossed a lot of ground in short time, all the more highlighted by the fact that you seldom have to stop)
Karuraou/Sky Blazer (perhaps the biggest surprise for me on this list (either that or Ghost Chaser Densei); this is an exceptionally easy game, the implementation of deft, adroit climbing, jumping, dashing is always wonderful on the other hand; I also feel that the fiddling with Mode 7 and such is tastefully done here, I love the visuals and effects in this game, such as the spinning wall boss)
Kidou Soukou Dion/Imperium (Compile/Musha Aleste plagiarizer in the best possible sense - the score also acts as an experience bar which grants you health & upgrades, thus justifying the length of the stages since you either fight for dear life or try to get back on your feet; much harder than most Compile efforts as well, and consecrated with a bombastic soundtrack and some great bosses; note that the US version Imperium is different - instead of a homing weapon, you have a much stronger wave shot, enemy waves and score values were changed, some graphics are also inexplicably worse for some reason)
Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto/Pocky & Rocky (my favourite multidirectional shooter of this kind, period; as usual with Natsume, the deep understanding of how to construct abilities/properties really shines here - bombs do more damage depending on proximity to enemies, slides have the perfect duration/cover the perfect length in view of the stage design/boss patterns, the defensive capabilities are likewise superbly crafted; just an all-around awesome title)
Kiki Kaikai: Tsukiyo Soushi/Pocky & Rocky 2 (not nearly as frantic or concise as its prequel, aiming for a more casual crowd with the shop system and leisurely pace, though still a professionally crafted game in all important matters)
King of Dragon, The (fabulous conversion of the arcade game; the game doesn't even stutter with as many as five or six enemies on-screen at once, thus setting an enviable standard for this system - engaging if expectable fantasy atmosphere, great challenge, just a supreme package overall)
Kishin Douji Zenki: Rettou Raiden (splendid blend between regular platforming via small Zenki and earth-shattering carnage against numerous enemy types with big Zenki; the second loop improves upon the first one in several regards unlike Hagane, even)
Märchen Adventure Cotton 100% (vibrant, lovely little shmup with a rather irritating bonus round for scoring purposes; higher difficulty settings turn an otherwise undemanding game into a veritable challenge)
Magical Pop'n (cheerful sword 'n' sorcery platformer with several jaunty upgrades like a grappling hook and roll; while it offers a lot of variety in both the stage design and the bosses, steadily and slowly increasing the difficulty, I do feel it ultimately falls just short of true excellence; the final stage's labyrinthine structure as well as a lot of systematically annoying rooms (where considerable lag and mean enemy placements can knock you off of platforms, not really endangering you yet undoing several seconds of work) weren't the wisest decisions in my book)
Magic Sword (the pinnacle of rock 'em sock 'em barbarian bravado; while certainly not nearly as fluid as the arcade original, I found this to be bafflingly addictive once I got used to the core concepts and made myself an itinerary through the stages; it feels a lot shorter than its 60+ minutes due to the copious amounts of short stages, just watching a video won't transport that impression)
Majuu Ou (rich in variety despite the short length, outstanding execution of the horror theme; getting the best (normal?) ending is somewhat counterintuitive, some forms are also certainly stronger than others, doesn't really detract from the zest)
Melfand Stories (under the edulcorated visuals lurks a devious killer, demanding correct spacing and application of spells to be overcome successfully; every screen and step is a victory in its own right)
Metal Warriors (accentuates the strike force disposition of the mechas a lot more than Valken, including a much, much, much higher difficulty; some of the traps and set-ups can feel overwhelming at first, but man, is it a glorious reward to successively become better at this game)
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - The Movie (a decent game overall, with some occasionally great anomalies such as the final boss as well as a bombastic presentation; it lacks both intensity and a nuanced moveset to truly shine, thus regrettably poising somewhere in the good territory instead of being a classic like the very next game on this list)
Ninja Warriors Again, The (maybe the best game on this list, emblematic symbol of Natsume's grandeur; perfect blend of RNG and structural concatenations, enemy design both on an individual and collective level, boss presence and goon support; using Ninja or Kunoichi drastically alters the parameters while Kamaitachi is effectively the easy setting even on Hard; note that only the SFC version has the kunoichi enemy, so play that version!)
Parodius Da! (absolutely fantastic port of the arcade game with optimal difficulty tweaks; unlike the other SFC Parodius games and SFC Gradius, this one does not suffer from inordinate slowdowns; second loop and onwards/higher difficulty settings are still extremely brutal, yet without the aggravating traits of the arcade game)
Phalanx (consistently sound even if it is a bit too long-winded and bloated for its own good, recoveries after a death can be a bit aggravating as well; has an interesting & challenging highest difficulty setting to spice things up)
Pirates of Dark Water, The (would've been amazing if not for its inordinate length; 75 minutes+ are simply too long even for a brawler, much moreso since there is quite a bit of recycling at the end; the setpieces themselves are mostly great, as is the balance between combos, desperation attacks, grabs and such, most of the mild platforming elements work also surprisingly well)
Plok (imaginative, vibrant and dignifiedly demanding platformer with some suspenseful and chaotic boss battles; for reasons completely unbeknownst to me, the developers decided to throw all that out of the window for the last third of the game, where you have to play through vehicle stages with ineffably atrocious controls)
Pop'n TwinBee (very easy on the default settings/first loop, incredibly tough on higher loops/difficulty settings, thus allowing players to pick their preference regarding scoring/survival, also a lovely atmosphere and smooth framerate throughout; certainly too long a game in either case to be quite called excellent)
R-Type III: The Third Lightning (weak first stage aside, this is a true Irem shmup, especially in the second loop, especially in the last two stages of the selfsame loop; checkpoint recovery can be grueling, although never as excruciating as in loop 2 of Image Fight or R-Type II, which I consider to be a good thing)
Rendering Ranger R² (nowise a classic as some people would have you believe (mainly thanks to the flat, monotonous design of the run 'n' gun stages), yet the sheer sense of destruction, supported by appropriately reverberant sound effects, is somewhat unparalleled on the system; some very distinct boss fights in the shmup stages to be had, as well)
RockMan 7/Mega Man 7 (as mentioned above, I revisited this one recently and was thrilled just how much I liked it; the colossal sprite and cumbrous pace take some time getting used to, almost every section in the game is tailor-made around those facts - there are some genuinely great platforming setpieces and boss fights, demanding precise timing and an unerring eye for distance; the music is also fantastic in this game, I find)
RockMan X/Mega Man X (invites even unhasting players such as myself to finish the game as quickly as possible thanks to the ingenious dash and wall jump mechanisms which are amply supported by the stages; a pleasing amount of the special weapons is useful in various situations, being able to switch between them via the shoulder buttons likewise only increases the speed of the game)
RockMan X2/Mega Man X2 (even faster paced than the first game, and just as innovative with the stages & gimmicks; it's not quite as powerfully aurally and I find the difficulty to be a slightly bit more even in the first one, it's still almost as good as its predecessor)
RockMan X3/Mega Man X3 (palpably weaker than the first two games on account of the repetition - there are entirely too many boss fights where you dash from one side of the room to the other, for example -, it's nonetheless a solid, fast-paced obstacle course)
Rock N' Roll Racing (not much of a racing fan whatsoever, this one I do relish for its cheerful destruction and (obviously) rockin' music, I'm even slightly less than terrible in this game - italicized due to the repetition and the fact that I'm not the best person to recommend any title from that genre)
Run Saber (largely sure-footed Strider epigone with various other eclectic vignettes, its biggest downfall are various sections where you either have to use the (plentiful) bombs or take almost unavoidable damage since your character is not able to dodge a lot of attacks thanks to lacking invincibility frames)
Rushing Beat Ran/Brawl Brothers (never would've even dreamt this one ending up here - much less with bold letters! -, this one can rightfully be called an acquired taste; you have to minutely study the wonky grab/hit detection the entire series suffers from, and also work around environmental hazards such as landmines, electric floors and chasms that span two thirds of the screen in order to stand a chance; in spite of myself, I grew to tremendously enjoy both the procedural aspect of planning ahead during trickier sections as well as executing those, it made for a daunting 1CC project while not feeling insurmountable at any point in time; still a lot of provisos for this one - also keep in mind that the US version drastically alters stage layouts and such, although I believe you can access the original version with a code!)
Rushing Beat Shura/The Peace Keepers (pondered a while whether to include or not; while it suffers from the same issues that this entire series is afflicted by, its severely overpowered grab allows you a simple solution for many problems while still keeping things interesting for you only have a single life per credit, meaning that later boss fights might get nail-bitingly close; overall, I've enjoyed the game a bit more than I thought I would, although it comes with substantial reservations still; also keep in mind that they made unnecessary changes in the US version, such as altering graphics)
Sengoku Denshou (brawler whose level & enemy design lacks any and all coherence and resembles a child's stream of consciousness; while certainly not great by any means, I find it fairly satisfying on a fundamental level: you don't have many options available (no dash, desperation attack, special techniques etc.), proper spacing, adequate grabs leading into devastating piledrivers and item usage are rewarded on the other hand)
Sonic Blast Man II (this one was embodied vicissitude for me in terms of appreciation; I really enjoyed the core concept at first glance, yet got repelled not too far into the game only to get better only to find other, nastier enemies and so on and so forth - it demands both specific knowledge and resource management (use your blast energy!), but once you put in the effort, it becomes a stylish, elegant tryst with some suspense-packed boss fights)
Sonic Wings/Aero Fighters (outstanding from a porting perspective, I much prefer it over the original arcade game by dint of the superior soundtrack alone; remarkably tough 2-ALL just like the source material, external autofire is highly recommended - also make sure to play the SFC version since the US version lacks the second loop)
Soul Blader/Soul Blazer (while somewhat appurtenant to the RPG genre, I like to think of it as a vertically oriented ActRaiser; simple yet endearing combat with a large roster of monsters, story is thankfully frugally interspersed)
Sparkster (hot-tempered, alert game which allows for an abundance of stylish sword technique once the player gets accustomed to the controls and the stage design (the latter of which contains quite a few instant death traps, preventing unexperienced players to just dash around all the time) - the amount of graphical detail is stunning and the sound effects have the punchy quality of an MD game, most likely due to the roots of this title, of course; there is one utterly gimmick boss which fortunately can be annihilated with autofire, I wouldn't have had the patience to finish Sparkster otherwise)
Star Fox (I'm having a tough time getting into rail shooters since I can't really perceive what's happening most of the time, I did manage to warm up to this game, though (unlike with HyperZone which is too sedate even for me), in spite of it taking a good while; I was quite shocked how tense and serious I got during nastier boss fights, the frame rate is also not nearly as horrendous during large stretches in the game as a lot of people claim it to be)
Sunset Riders (exquisite port of the arcade game; getting used to the somewhat unusual hitboxes during the rougher boss fights might take some time, it's a natural learning curve, however, and proper sliding/jumping/floor swapping for invincibility frames will become second nature before too long)
Super Aleste/Space Megaforce (passable on default settings, frantic mayhem on its highest difficulty whose iniquitous clouds of suicide bullets will result into different constellations on every credit; possibly still a bit too long even with those conditions, though - I personally slightly prefer the US version here, it plays exactly the same as far as I can tell, but the announcer's voice is clearer)
Super E.D.F.: Earth Defense Force/Earth Defense Force (didn't like this game the first time I've played, grown to appreciate it more and more and more; while not inordinately deep, trying to chase after high scores is immensely fulfilling in this one due to its simple, elegant system; reducing the substantial difficulty of the arcade game was a wise decision for this title to shine in that regard; note that the US & SFC versions differ in terms of enemy placement & score values)
Super Ninja-Kun (cute sidescroller with mystifyingly strong fundamentals and level design - its biggest issue is the fact that the difficulty is almost non-existent, hence, there is a severe lack of actually testing the player's ability to use all these abilities and weapons; be that as it may, it's still a diverse and fast-paced game with sickeningly adorable characters)
Super Turrican (highly delightful adventure through a vast gamut of places, assisted by a spectacular, majestic soundtrack; while the lack of camera fixation is certainly less than optimal, it never bothered me all that much in this case)
Super Turrican 2 (also suffers from the occasional overbearance of including long, flat stages, where and when the grappling hook is used throughout levels and boss fights, the game becomes a lot more enjoyable; most of the other attractions (like the Axelay-themed vertical lava stage, the Gyruss tube stage, the SNES Star Wars jetbike stage...) usually contain more good aspects than bad ones, too)
Sword Maniac/X-Kaliber 2097 (goofy game with ridiculous knockbacks on hit which can seriously demolish the enjoyment you might garner out of it; on the other hand, the aesthetical theme is handled very well, even some of the (mid-)bosses can be dispatched with something other than AI exploitation; I recommend the Western X-Kaliber 2097 on account of the soundtrack (inverse BioMetalism))
Takahashi Meijin no Daibouken Jima/Super Adventure Island (diversified little title with some neat ambiance music and nice boss fights, the final boss is pretty horrid, unfortunately)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (IV): Turtles in Time (impulsive brawler whose primary focus is to cut countless enemies to pieces or hyperbolically hurl them around instead of carefully proceeding through stages; do yourself a favour and play as Raphael to accentuate the selfsame tendency)
Uchuu no Kishi: Tekkaman Blade (definitely the guilty pleasure on this list, I wouldn't actually recommend this at all, outside of the magnificent music; it's fortunately really easy to clear, so you can just have some mindless fun cornering idiotic bosses whilst listening to energetic tunes)
Undercover Cops (hectoring port of the arcade brawler with absolutely stunning visuals to limn your suffering with exquisite nuances; the game is replete with memorization just like an Irem shooter, demands uniformly steady execution, proper resource management and intrepid nerves - since you start with one life less than in the arcade game and food/health is more scarce, your leeway in error is conceivably slim; actually getting successively better at the game is an exalted experience as a result, for this is without a doubt one of the hardest clears on the system)
Wild Guns (flamboyant, excessively vitalistic evolution of the Cabal recipe with expectedly stunning presentation; about everything in this game is uniquely gratifying, whether it's remodeling knifer's faces with a quick blow of a rifle butt, incinerating the entire screen with a bomb or pulverizing a boss with a fully charged special gun)
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (platformer with several fighting game inputs, not entirely unlike Zenki; all five characters add something unique to the table, enticing players to experiment in later stages to find out just how their own proclivities can shine; I would've called this excellent if not for a fairly dull (and unfortunately rather long-winded) final boss and comparatively anemic stages; nonetheless a very good game)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (grueling top-down shooter where you have to exert perspicacious resource management so that you can open doors, fight profusely robust bosses and reach exposed victims at least somewhat reliably; the game is undeniably both really cheap at times (e.g. when a victim dies without you having any chance at all to safe it, or at the very least not without some involved RNG manipulation/sheer luck) and overstraining (48 (!) regular tages plus a short credit level afterwards plus some hidden bonus levels, some of which you probably want to enter), the apropos tension when you finally get to higher stages and only have a handful of victims left is expertly done and mirrors the theme, however; partially great, partially questionable, not for everyone, yet undoubtedly a title with substantive, imperturbable personality)

Dissuasions

On the opposite side, here are some games I've cleared which I would not recommend; I'm not going to mention titles which have a deserved widespread reputation for being terrible/inept (such as the awful BlaZeon port, Dimension Force or the aforementioned Ninja Ryukenden trilogy), instead I'm going to enumerate a few titles which may look better than they are or where people might be on the fence:

Archer MacLean's Super Dropzone (probably could've been a fun Defender/Fantasy Zone type game if not for the careless construction of enemy movement patterns and such which require you to constantly use the invincibility item)
Battle Zeque Den (stunningly gorgeous game with hideous gameplay; you either try to play it in a dynamic way and get slaughtered by stage 1 or you stick to a couple of strategies (exploiting high ground and abusing the jump kick) and have an extremely easy time - the game is also absurdly long at about 90 minutes; it allows you to soak in the ambrosial visuals, I suppose)
Captain Commando (shoddy port of the arcade game with unfair hitbox properties particularly during boss fights - I had to rely on a cheesy trouvaille to barely clear the game and can't even imagine getting through this on one credit in what would be the intended way; for example, of the last four stages, only one of them has health upgrades (three, in fact!), you have to make it with two lives total, the final boss can kill you in two hits...)
Hook (this has to be one of the most miserable games I've ever suffered through; it looks and sounds fine to great, it's also very similar to the fabulous Karuraou, thus, I was very much intrigued to try this one out - turns out it fails on every gameplay level: the character is laughably slow and has basically no reach whatsoever, simple things such as turning around is unresponsive, there are sections where you have to constantly take hits, many stages seem to be annoying on purpose (such as the cave stage where you're mostly walking through blindly, stepping into spikes), the hit detection is terrible, it's all around awful; extremely easy on account of a myriad of extends, yet utterly terrible)
Makeruna! Makendou/Kendo Rage (not quite as disastrous as Hook, albeit not too far off either; I assumed this one the be a weaker GS Mikami what with a resemblant character wielding a staff that can be used in several directions, it plays a lot worse, though; you have to hit enemies to deactivate their hitboxes in order to not take damage from them, the window of time and execution thereof is so awkward that it will of course fail most of the time, turning this into a damage race against supremely annoying bosses)
Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems (not entirely without its merits, a poor man's X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse all the same; character balance is not nearly as smooth, a few stages and enemies are just annoying (particularly the midgets in the underwater stage), the first gems are inexplicably randomized...; none of these issues are major on their own, nevertheless problematic in a cumulative sense)
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (the one without the "The Movie" moniker; while it has very mild platforming elements, this is moreso a brawler on one plane, unfortunately an incredibly dull one at that, especially during the first part of a stage where you have to play in the teenager form; the worst thing about the game is that the final two stages are dreadful fighting game bosses which come down to having luck with manipulating the enemy AI - irregardless of how many lives you have before getting to those bosses, losing once is an instant game over, meaning you lose a 40+ minute credit in a few seconds if you're unlucky)
Psycho Dream (almost average until the final stage which is atrocious; you're either severely underpowered (in any form except the ultimate one) or overpowered, and after three hits you will be reverted from your best form to the worst; problem is that you cannot gain your best form in the final stage for some inexplicable reason, meaning you have to proceed very cautiously there thanks to bad hit detection, cheap environmental hazards and lag-infested controls)
Return of Double Dragon (try as I might, I just think this is exquisitely boring; whenever you try to play normally, you'll find yourself surrounded from both sides, outmanoeuvering them does not seem possible due to your rheumatic pace; hence, spamming special attacks is the key to success which is a shame since the actual core engine is more than solid; maybe I'm just too clumsy)
SD Kidou Senshi Gundam: V Sakusen Shidou (as delineated above, this is one nasty critter - this game scrolls automatically and advances in a power-up sequence where you can activate whatever you want once you are on a specific tile (just like Gradius); the problem is that some bosses will completely destroy you on account of them moving in fast, erratic patterns you can't handle with your ponderous little mech even if you know they are coming; if you're going to craft a mediocre-at-best title, make sure it's at least not too hard for what it is (like SD Gundam 2 which is treacly forgettable))
Spriggan Powered (shockingly inept even from its inception - Micronics had a bad idea and managed to execute it poorly; it seems like you're supposed to elegantly graze bullets for scoring purposes, thanks to the rather large hitbox and clunky handling of the mech you're forced to persistently use the invincibility shield to survive, particularly during the nerve-splitting boss fights)
Super Genjin/Super Bonk (not really horrible, only about 50-60 minutes too long for what it actually has to offer; attacking enemies and particularly bosses is too fickle to be called anything other than frustrating, you're usually better off just staying on them and take a few hits in the process instead of backing away - has a few moments during the stages, not nearly enough of them to hold the sesquipedalian length, unfortunately)
Super R-Type (felt like listing it for good measure; neither adequate as a 16-bit port nor as a game in its own right, plagued by erratic slowdowns (unlike e.g. Gradius III's which are at least consistent) which lead to you crashing into walls only to send you all the way back to the beginning of the stage, also contains some ridiculous other things such as boss projectiles who still kill you long after being off-screen)
Super Valis - Akaki Tsuki no Otome/Super Valis IV (early stages consist mostly of nothing at all, there are stretches of five to ten seconds where you just amble around without seeing anything whatsoever; however, seeing enemies and obstacles in later stages isn't exactly an amelioration since they generally exist to enervate players either by being invincible for a few seconds, exploding when being hit (resulting in unavoidable damage), pushing you back from them etc.; also has a final boss which can absorb your health if you don't cheese the guy)

Corollary Contingencies

Last but not least a few words on games I haven't cleared yet:

Let's start with brawlers/beat 'em ups, now with a much reduced amount of titles! First a few games I would not recommend unless you've exhausted other options: Iron Commando, Rushing Beat, Sonic Blast Man.

As mentioned above, the entire Rushing Beat series is undoubtedly shoddily designed (in spite of its charms), with bad grab/hit detection, enemies that don't stay in hit stun long enough so that you can finish your combo, moves of yours that don't seem to have priority over anything your foes do... This is unfortunately at its peak with the first game, which is also the hardest by far for all the wrong reasons. It's safe to say that everything this game does is handled immensely better by the sequels (Shura is arguably closer to this one on account of the grab-heavy focus), doubly so if you consider the audiovisual presentation which is rather horrid in the first game.

The first Sonic Blast Man moves at a snail's pace, unlike the second. It's not entirely worthless from a technical perspective, yet so mind-numbingly boring that you probably want to shut it off after a few minutes. To adequately reward you after a protracted, comatose game, you'll get to face a final boss that runs circles around you, thus requiring you to arrive there with several lives to spare so that you can bomb him into oblivion. And how do you get extra lives? By rotating the d-pad as fast as possible during the bonus rounds in-between stages, which is as idiotic and difficult as it sounds.

Speaking of tedium, Iron Commando has you grab people and immediately throw them back at their friends for 70+ minutes. Occasionally you get an autoscroller stage with godawful controls as a reward. The enemy AI is very belligerent if you stay too long in their line of sight, hence your constant moving around and throwing them in order to survive. What makes matters worse is that you deal damage in the millimeter range which only cements your dire sense of impuissance.

On the other hand, one specimen I would recommend (albeit with caveats) is Knights of the Round, which is an acquired taste for sure. You don't have any grabs, dashes or other means of quickly traversing the screen, you're instead forced to master (and I do mean master) the block command to gain invincibility. Between that and the extremely high difficulty, I'm not enjoying the game myself much, but there is no denying that this is a quality port of a quality game, certain players will definitely flourish with this one.

On the RPG/action front, there is also Alcahest to consider. I've only tested it for maybe 15 minutes, it does appear to be a competently made bird's eye view hack 'n' slash. A cursory glance over a few other sources does support this for what it's worth. I'd give it a spin if you like games of its ilk to decide for yourself. Not so sure about 46 Okunen Monogatari - Harukanaru Eden e/E.V.O.: Search for Eden which has a novel concept and, most important of all, dinosaurs, yet revolves around using a single attack command ad nauseam. And it's unfortunately neither as charming or intelligently crafted as ActRaiser or Soul Blazer to make the most out of its simplistic gameplay, either.

As far as other action games are concerned, I'm going to mention the one and only Umihara Kawase to finally conclude this post. I'm of course aware of its existence - not a game that plays into my proclivities yet undeniably superb if you're willing to study the physics and finer points. Certainly a recommendation if you enjoy this sort of platforming.

P.S.: I hate Rockman & Forte.
Last edited by Perikles on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Despatche wrote:The original Monster World is too different to directly compare to the later games like that. Not really surprising in Wonder Boy, a series with what is probably the most annoying branding in video games... even Dragon Slayer makes more sense.
If you mean Monster World 1 aka Wonder Boy in Monster Land aka Wonder Boy: Monster Land aka Super Wonder Boy: Monster World aka Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land aka Monica no Castelo do Dragao aka Bikkuriman World aka Saiyuuki World then it is indeed unique enough that one could reasonably find it impossible to judge by conventional platforming standards. It's also unique enough that that one could reasonably decide it's the best game in the series despite how blatantly, severely flawed it is. Though personally I think the Dragon's Trap's varied equipment, unique charm system, and myriad secrets capture most of WBiML's appeal while being a far more robust game in general. The only thing it's really lacking is a time limit, though I hear the remake's hard mode adds one - any of y'all tried that? I'm super burned out on The Dragon's Trap at the moment but maybe I'll pick that up later.
Perikles wrote:Recommendations
Hell yeah that's some good shit!
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

That really is a great list. Added to the index. :)
bottino

Post by bottino »

Thanks for taking the time to write such an extensive and detailed list of recommendations, Perikles.

It's the perfect incentive to try out new games; and give the the ones that I previously rejected a second chance as well :)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Damn, you don't like the Sword Maniac soundtrack? It is probably the weakest Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack I guess, but certainly better than the crap Activision threw in lol.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.