Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
GojiFan90

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Post by GojiFan90 »

Potentially dumb question, but is there any long term risk to RGB modding an N64? I have a modded Japanese console, but one lingering fear is that the RGB mod will over time "burn out" the GPU faster than if left stock. Is this unfounded, or can the mod prematurely kill an N64?
flex

Post by flex »

I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

flex wrote:I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?
WRT deblur, it shouldn't have much effect when playing on CRT. The native blurring becomes overly apparent as you line multiply, and results in an overly fuzzy picture at higher line multiplication modes, which in turn, is where the deblur feature offers the best results.

I am interested to know about the dithering tho, cuz I recently acquired a CRT, and the dithering is now extremely noticeable to me (probably just a matter of awareness, more than anything). But I'm also wondering, does the deblur being on or off potentially affect the visibility of dithering?
flex

Post by flex »

NoAffinity wrote:
flex wrote:I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

WRT deblur, it shouldn't have much effect when playing on CRT. The native blurring becomes overly apparent as you line multiply, and results in an overly fuzzy picture at higher line multiplication modes, which in turn, is where the deblur feature offers the best results.

I am interested to know about the dithering tho, cuz I recently acquired a CRT, and the dithering is now extremely noticeable to me (probably just a matter of awareness, more than anything). But I'm also wondering, does the deblur being on or off potentially affect the visibility of dithering?
Ok so I plugged the N64 directly into my LG 55" LED TV in my lounge which luckily does have a small add on cable for a SCART connection still so I could have a play and test a few things. I do not have an upscaler yet but planning on getting the OSSC for such purposes at some point.

For the record the mod is definaltey not enabling the wrong modes and is working correctly. I tested a couple of games and deblur does make some difference although not as big as I would have expected but this might make more sense if I was using an upscaler like you say so thanks for clearing that up. I am definatley seeing better results on both the CRT and the LED TV with 15 bit mode disabled... it would seem i need to disable this every time i start up the console though which is odd as I thought the default is supposed to be off.

If i load up Goldeneye (PAL Version) i definatley get the best results with 15bit mode off and deblur disabled... I can really see it on the mission screen text it is much sharper in this configuration.

To answer your question I believe the really noticeable dithering is being caused by 15 bit mode being enabled is all.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

flex wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:

Ok so I plugged the N64 directly into my LG 55" LED TV in my lounge which luckily does have a small add on cable for a SCART connection still so I could have a play and test a few things. I do not have an upscaler yet but planning on getting the OSSC for such purposes at some point.

For the record the mod is definaltey not enabling the wrong modes and is working correctly. I tested a couple of games and deblur does make some difference although not as big as I would have expected but this might make more sense if I was using an upscaler like you say so thanks for clearing that up. I am definatley seeing better results on both the CRT and the LED TV with 15 bit mode disabled... it would seem i need to disable this every time i start up the console though which is odd as I thought the default is supposed to be off.

If i load up Goldeneye (PAL Version) i definatley get the best results with 15bit mode off and deblur disabled... I can really see it on the mission screen text it is much sharper in this configuration.

To answer your question I believe the really noticeable dithering is being caused by 15 bit mode being enabled is all.
Enabling 15-bit mode reduces the color depth from 21 to 15 bits, and will only be an improvement in a very small number of games (don't remember hearing about more than 1 or 2). Z + Start + R + C-up deactivates it (Z + Start + R + C-down activates), so if that happens to be the button combination you have to put in on startup, then your board is wired to have it on at console start.

In other words, just to be clear, you want 15-bit mode OFF at most all times.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
flex

Post by flex »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Enabling 15-bit mode reduces the color depth from 21 to 15 bits, and will only be an improvement in a very small number of games (don't remember hearing about more than 1 or 2). Z + Start + R + C-up deactivates it (Z + Start + R + C-down activates), so if that happens to be the button combination you have to put in on startup, then your board is wired to have it on at console start.

Cool thanks... now to work out why my board is defaulting to on then!
mdd45

Post by mdd45 »

I have a small problem with my N64 RGB mod using Etim's board on my pal N64 using a Gamecube RGB scart and sync at CS75. You can see it on the video just above the Mario A and Mario B there is a horizontal flickering. I already shorten the wires in order to fix the red nose and ears artifacts on Mario 64 and all my connection tested with a multimeter seems ok. Same thing is apparent with a pal Snes RGB cable with sync on Luma (even though the image is darker since my jumpers are for Gamecube). I have ordered a new Gamecube RGB scart cable just in case but i dont think the cable is the problem...

https://youtu.be/tNFPUABUENs

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also have a Happy new Year!!!

Edit: I think my problem is thoroughly examined in this topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61455&start=90
flex

Post by flex »

flex wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

Cool thanks... now to work out why my board is defaulting to on then!
Just thought I would post an update and say the board is actually working 100% correctly and is not defaulting to 15-Bit mode after all, now I understand the correct operation I can see the deblur is also turning on and off automatically on certain screens (based upon its detection algorithm i guess)... I can see it disable on the goldeneye mission select screen for example as the text becomes smoother after a few seconds.
Seikenfreak

Post by Seikenfreak »

Tim's N64RGB v1.2 arrived today (had no idea it was viletim on here!) and I jumped into installing it. Seemed to go fairly smooth with no real issues. RGB output is working.

Hate to be Captain Dumb here: I looked into how to get the deblur-ing/reset stuff working. Pad "M" -> Pin 27 on PIF-NUS, Pad "A" -> Pin 16 on PIF-NUS (does have continuity to controller P1 middle pin)

...and the button combos aren't doing anything? Maybe I'm missing something super obvious? Reset or deblur stuff. Am I missing some wiring? Not finding any shorts between any of the wiring. I am getting 3.3v to the N64RGB. Tried jumping Pad "A" directly to "G" and don't think I'm seeing any difference there either.

I'll admit, it was rather hard to finally figure all this extra stuff out to enable it. Information scattered around this giant thread and Tim, bless his heart, doesn't have any of the information for it mentioned in his install guide. Had to do a bunch of digging.
Spoiler
I'm also getting some decent interference I think? Using a Solaris Japan SNES cable. Haven't had any issues with it before and the cable should be one of the better ones. Perhaps this is what is mentioned about the Composite signal creating interference? Not sure I want to cut a trace or wire in more stuff unless I know for sure that is the issue.

Stinks because the initial install went fairly quickly but now I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours. Almost time for bed.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Seikenfreak wrote:Tim's N64RGB v1.2 arrived today (had no idea it was viletim on here!) and I jumped into installing it. Seemed to go fairly smooth with no real issues. RGB output is working.

Hate to be Captain Dumb here: I looked into how to get the deblur-ing/reset stuff working. Pad "M" -> Pin 27 on PIF-NUS, Pad "A" -> Pin 16 on PIF-NUS (does have continuity to controller P1 middle pin)

...and the button combos aren't doing anything? Maybe I'm missing something super obvious? Reset or deblur stuff. Am I missing some wiring? Not finding any shorts between any of the wiring. I am getting 3.3v to the N64RGB. Tried jumping Pad "A" directly to "G" and don't think I'm seeing any difference there either.

I'll admit, it was rather hard to finally figure all this extra stuff out to enable it. Information scattered around this giant thread and Tim, bless his heart, doesn't have any of the information for it mentioned in his install guide. Had to do a bunch of digging.
Spoiler
I'm also getting some decent interference I think? Using a Solaris Japan SNES cable. Haven't had any issues with it before and the cable should be one of the better ones. Perhaps this is what is mentioned about the Composite signal creating interference? Not sure I want to cut a trace or wire in more stuff unless I know for sure that is the issue.

Stinks because the initial install went fairly quickly but now I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours. Almost time for bed.
You have to flash borti's firmware to get de-blur and reset features- at this point they're talked about so often that I can see why you wouldn't think you'd need to.

Noise is the tricky one. I'll be getting my N64RGB back on Friday and will be taking a close look myself, but it seems there are a lot of different solutions on here. Tying the grounds together at the multi-out, shortening the ribbon cable, adding resistors on the data lines, cutting the composite video trace, and pulling power from the 5V line are all solutions I've seen for various N64RGB issues, so I don't have any clue where to start.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Seikenfreak

Post by Seikenfreak »

bobrocks95 wrote:You have to flash borti's firmware to get de-blur and reset features- at this point they're talked about so often that I can see why you wouldn't think you'd need to.

Noise is the tricky one. I'll be getting my N64RGB back on Friday and will be taking a close look myself, but it seems there are a lot of different solutions on here. Tying the grounds together at the multi-out, shortening the ribbon cable, adding resistors on the data lines, cutting the composite video trace, and pulling power from the 5V line are all solutions I've seen for various N64RGB issues, so I don't have any clue where to start.
Ohhh.. so you still have to flash it. Damn. I thought that was only on the pre-1.2v boards. Figured it was built in at this point. /facedesk Guess I'll try to pick up one of those flasher things. Thanks for the heads up.

That interference has seemingly gone away now? And it was less like noise and more like a jittery picture. More noticeable in certain areas of the picture. So either desoldering the Pin 16 wire from Pad "A" (and running a jumper between "A" and "G") did something or just.. Something else. Not really seeing the issue now. Electronics are weird.

Next Day Edit
: Flashed the board and now the IGR commands are working. Yay. Have to be honest though.. I can't really see any difference with deblur on or off. I can see the screen shift a tiny bit when I switch it on/off but even with my eyes 6 inches from the screen, I think I can see a tiny difference on small white text? Read back a few pages and seems other people had a similar experience. Perhaps because I'm using it with my RGB CRT and not through my XRGB into the OLED. Oh well. System is all back together and working.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?
No, not without a more comprehensive firmware. I'm in a similar situation, as far as panel resolution, though mine doesn't force overscan. You could use something like the Extron DSC 301 HD, which has HDMI input and can scale to exactly 1360x768@60Hz.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?
No, not without a more comprehensive firmware. I'm in a similar situation, as far as panel resolution, though mine doesn't force overscan. You could use something like the Extron DSC 301 HD, which has HDMI input and can scale to exactly 1360x768@60Hz.
Extron also made a unit called the DSC HD-HD - it appears to be the same thing as the DSC 301 HD but without the analog inputs

I saw a couple go on ebay recently for under $50
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Extron also made a unit called the DSC HD-HD - it appears to be the same thing as the DSC 301 HD but without the analog inputs

I saw a couple go on ebay recently for under $50
Cheapest one right now looks to be about $95 USD shipped, and it'll be a good option for anything that doesn't frequently change video modes, and bonus points if it can output interlaced.

The biggest problem I have with these DSC models is that resync from a video mode change takes about 3 full seconds. If you're using it with an OSSC to scale, say, full-time 480i from a PS2 to 1440i to 1080p (which, to me, looks pretty good), it works great; but, if you're trying to play, say, Resident Evil 2 on an RGB-modded N64 with the same OSSC and DSC 301 HD or DSC HD-HD, then you're going to have a bad time. It's a little better, with a 1-second resync, if you run the output of the OSSC through an active HDMI to VGA converter, but it's still an agonizing 1 second.

tl;dr: So, if the DSC HD-HD really is the same as the 301 HD, just without the analogue inputs, then you're going to be stuck with the same 3-second video mode resyncs; but it's a good, seemingly-low-lag scaler for anything that doesn't frequently switch between video modes, especially for interlaced content.
strayan

Post by strayan »

nmalinoski wrote:
Thanks for that info. I’d settle for 1280x720 in a 1360x768 frame so I could at least get a 1:1 pixel mapped image. Will keep an eye out for an Extron unit in the meantime.
HeroProc

Post by HeroProc »

I'm currently in the process of needing to upgrade the firmware on my new N64RGB mod (Tim's). I'd like to wire the ribbon cable directly to the board as seen in LeonK's picture here but i'm having trouble confirming which wire needs to go to which pad.

Based off of Tim's instructions I know the pad pinout...
1 +3.3V power rail
2 Ground
3 TDO
4 TCK
5 TDI
6 TMS

I also have the pinout for the USB Blaster's 10pin connector. Just not sure where I should be wiring the 3.3v pad to. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sidenote: Just to make sure, for Tim's board I should be using Borti's latest firmware (n64rgb_viletim_igr.pof) located here correct? https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim
leonk wrote:I'm in canada but try to keep same prices as other.

I think $50 usd is fair. Make sure they include the jtag port prewired to n64rgb. This way, if new firmware comes out, your remove the case and you got the wire there ready to plug directly into your usb blaster. No soldering required to update the firmware.

nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strayan wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Thanks for that info. I’d settle for 1280x720 in a 1360x768 frame so I could at least get a 1:1 pixel mapped image. Will keep an eye out for an Extron unit in the meantime.
I've also recently been informed that the Extron DSC HD-HD is the same as the DSC 301 HD, but without the analogue inputs.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Just heard about the new N64 Advanced firmware with 720p output from Bob's roundup. I have an Advanced board installed with the previous firmware and I love its video output already. I don't use the line doubling on my BVM, but I might prefer how 3x looks. Gonna have to get a USB blaster one of these days.

Borti, is there a chance we may see 1080i output in the future? That's the resolution that IMO looks best on multisync monitors.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

HeroProc wrote:I'm currently in the process of needing to upgrade the firmware on my new N64RGB mod (Tim's). I'd like to wire the ribbon cable directly to the board as seen in LeonK's picture here but i'm having trouble confirming which wire needs to go to which pad.

Based off of Tim's instructions I know the pad pinout...
1 +3.3V power rail
2 Ground
3 TDO
4 TCK
5 TDI
6 TMS

I also have the pinout for the USB Blaster's 10pin connector. Just not sure where I should be wiring the 3.3v pad to. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sidenote: Just to make sure, for Tim's board I should be using Borti's latest firmware (n64rgb_viletim_igr.pof) located here correct? https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim
There is a big 3.3V pad at the bottom right of the N64RGB, and a smaller one just below the jtag solder pads. Those would be the easiest to tap.

Yes, that is the correct location for borti's firmware for tim's board.
Kez

Post by Kez »

fernan1234 wrote:is there a chance we may see 1080i output in the future? That's the resolution that IMO looks best on multisync monitors.
720p mode is still using line multiplication, so an exact 1080 output is unlikely. Maybe 960i is possible, I am not sure if the the monitor would display it though.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Kez wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:is there a chance we may see 1080i output in the future? That's the resolution that IMO looks best on multisync monitors.
720p mode is still using line multiplication, so an exact 1080 output is unlikely. Maybe 960i is possible, I am not sure if the the monitor would display it though.
That would be interesting. If the monitor can do 1080i it should be able to do 960i too, I imagine. Maybe I can test this with an OSSC.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Compatibility of analogue inputs of a TV / Monitor maybe differs from the digital ones. So keep that in mind!
by the way, that's the reason why I haven't enabled LineX3 for PAL inputs - it's too far away from specifications of 720p50. Also, please do not count on 960i even though it might be possible to implement in some kind of far from any specs. Also 1080i is not possible - the FPGA has not enough resources.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I'm a bit lazy right now to read through all 30+ pages (I will over time :D) , but just to get a quick idea of how well this performs, has anyone noticed a difference on consumer crt's with the blur fixing?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Taiyaki wrote:I'm a bit lazy right now to read through all 30+ pages (I will over time :D) , but just to get a quick idea of how well this performs, has anyone noticed a difference on consumer crt's with the blur fixing?
It's obvious to me on my KV-32FV310
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:I'm a bit lazy right now to read through all 30+ pages (I will over time :D) , but just to get a quick idea of how well this performs, has anyone noticed a difference on consumer crt's with the blur fixing?
It's obvious to me on my KV-32FV310
Ok, thank you, then it's time to have that installed I guess. :)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

borti4938 wrote:Compatibility of analogue inputs of a TV / Monitor maybe differs from the digital ones. So keep that in mind!
by the way, that's the reason why I haven't enabled LineX3 for PAL inputs - it's too far away from specifications of 720p50. Also, please do not count on 960i even though it might be possible to implement in some kind of far from any specs. Also 1080i is not possible - the FPGA has not enough resources.
Thanks for this info! An off-spec 960i would be pretty interesting if it ever happens. 720p should be good enough for most people, hope I can update the fw soon and check it out.

BTW can anyone recommend a good place to get a USB blaster?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

960i would useful for people with HD CRTs.
Kez

Post by Kez »

fernan1234 wrote:BTW can anyone recommend a good place to get a USB blaster?
I got mine off eBay and have updated N64A with it.
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

I'm sorry I know this has been asked a few times but I just want to make sure I am getting this right.

I recently installed Tim's board and was curious about the de-blur feature. His site says this:
Boards sold after 27/12/2016 now come with software v1.1 which includes an optional 'de-blur' feature. This gives the video a pleasing sharp pixel look. The feature is disabled by default but can be enabled by connecting the the pad labelled A to the pad labelled G (for ground). If you use it I recommend a connecting a switch as few games don't look good while de-blur is enabled. This feature comes courtesy of Borti4938, who has written alternate software for the N64RGB.
It sounds like the firmware is updated on boards purchased after 2016 but I've read on here that the board actually does need to be flashed with a newer firmware. Can anyone confirm which is true?