Psyvariar Delta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Weak Boson

Re: Psyvariar Delta

Post by Weak Boson »

great news about the bombs! I haven't played MU much so not sure if this is a new thing. They did release another update, but I think this time all they added was a way to close the game without using a keyboard. Not the feature I most desire but someone requested it and they delivered which gives me hope that 4:3 support isn't far off.

Had a couple of runs back to back in which I reached the TLB of Revision. Unfortunately I choked them both with bombs in stock X_x looks like I need more practice !
qmish

Post by qmish »

Devs seem to be pretty responsive about issues - those updates appear pretty quick after players' feedback.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Despatche wrote:So it was an simple mistake that they patched? Or did Japanese players talk to them about it? Either way, this port just got immediately better.

Is there anything else like that in Medium Unit right now?
It was a very old mistake since bombs behaved like this in the PS2 port as well, and I assume they used that codebase. I like to think that they read this forum, and my posts in particular, but that's the vanity speaking. Anyway the port feels like it's arcade perfect now, hope I can submit a good score and run in the near future.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Wait, the PS2 port does that too? What in the actual shit?

Thanks, Delta devs, you're pretty awesome.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Has there been any updates at all as to when the damn US version is coming? I, and I'm sure others here, pre-ordered the physical copy back in May, and I have yet to receive one update via email in regards to it. I'm ready to cancel my pre-order but I'm not even sure I can do that. So disappointing.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

steveovig wrote:Has there been any updates at all as to when the damn US version is coming? I, and I'm sure others here, pre-ordered the physical copy back in May, and I have yet to receive one update via email in regards to it. I'm ready to cancel my pre-order but I'm not even sure I can do that. So disappointing.
On the Dispatch games Facebook page they're saying February is tentative. ..so maybe March or April?
They did just release that Penguin Wars game, so there's activity or movement on their side at least.
Certainly not doing themselves any good by keeping everyone mostly in the dark.

Has it been confirmed yet if the "Blanche" DLC will be on the North American disc?
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Gave the game a break for a couple of days and came back to get the Revision 1CC on my first run ^__^

Had a no miss up until X-D but died repeatedly in the stage so went into the boss with no lives remaining like usual. 68 million score is nothing special but I decided to stop being fancy and just secure a clear on this version. Might see if I can nab a cheeky MU clear while I'm at it. Then I'll have to find time to explore Delta mode too :)
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

For those on the Steam version: you can make the game run in dedicated/true fullscreen by editing the launch options. Open the games properties on steam, select launch options and insert -window-mode exclusive . This should reduce input delay and increase performance.
Outside of steam you should be able to add the line as launch parameters for the .exe

As far as I know this option is hidden from Unity games by default because the game can stop working if you switch focus from the program or use alt-tab.

This works for any Unity game. So Black Bird, Rival Megagun, etc. I haven't tried this with psyvariar yet myself but it should work.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Zaarock wrote:For those on the Steam version: you can make the game run in dedicated/true fullscreen by editing the launch options. Open the games properties on steam, select launch options and insert -window-mode exclusive . This should reduce input delay and increase performance.
Outside of steam you should be able to add the line as launch parameters for the .exe

As far as I know this option is hidden from Unity games by default because the game can stop working if you switch focus from the program or use alt-tab.

This works for any Unity game. So Black Bird, Rival Megagun, etc. I haven't tried this with psyvariar yet myself but it should work.
I can't tell if it reduces input delay but the game will at least fill the screen now on 16:10, obviously there is some stretching but that can be fixed with the game's screen options, might work for 4:3 too, not sure.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Psyvariar Delta runs on the Unity Engine?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Looks like it does, launcher with options looks like standard unity engine game launcher
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Thanks for the tip Zaarock. Using 4:3 there is a limit to how much you can stretch the screen but seems to get the correct aspect ratio in full screen.

---

Got the MU 1CC so now exploring Delta mode. Looks like this is going to be really fun, it seems it's going to be as difficult as Revision to clear.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Decided I might as well grab the remaining achievements and I found myself playing through the replay mode-only XX stages. I gotta say it's really nice having these stages more accessible, it was such a rigmorale to play them in the PS2 version. It would have been really cool if they'd use the XX bosses instead of the normal ones in Delta mode !
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Got an unexpected Delta mode 1CC (using the Revision ship) :D Thoughts on this mode:

It's a solid Revision 1.5. Since all the enemy and boss attacks are reused it can't be considered a sequel, but the stages all feel brand new, with the exception of a few moments of tribute (eg, the very first enemy pattern in stage 1) and, most importantly, they're solidly designed.

2-D has some perfectly balanced encounters, though it is probably the most repetitive stage. 3-C isn't as difficult to optimize but it's worth a lot more points than its Revision counterpart. 4-C seems to be most faithful to its Revision version. I like the X-A stage a lot - again, it's worth more points. I haven't committed much time to scoring in the X stages (apart from Photon) beyond survival in either mode, so hard to judge if they're improvements or not, but they seem to be harder in Delta. On a low level X-D stage is actually pure hell, but fortunately I was a high enough level to storm through it like a scrub. It will be really interesting to see what scoring strategies are possible in these stages.

Out of curiosity, what other "arrange modes" are there which keep the exact same scoring but change up enemy placements (the anti-CAVE approach) ?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I emailed Dispatch a few days ago asking if there was any news on the on-disc releases, and just heard back:
The game is in production now and we are close to making a final announcement on release. Should be soon!
So at least we know it hasn't been scrapped. I also asked whether the Cybattler DLC would be on the disc if you ordered from the store, since someone brought it up on here:
The Cybattler DLC will be via a code included in the box.
I figured it would be that way since they only included it as an apology for the delayed release, but in case anyone needed it confirmed, there it is.
Weak Boson wrote:Out of curiosity, what other "arrange modes" are there which keep the exact same scoring but change up enemy placements (the anti-CAVE approach) ?
I seem to recall Border Down on the Dreamcast including something like that; I'm sure there are at least a few others, though I'd guess most of them are for somewhat older titles.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

BulletMagnet wrote: I also asked whether the Cybattler DLC would be on the disc if you ordered from the store, since someone brought it up on here:
The Cybattler DLC will be via a code included in the box.
I figured it would be that way since they only included it as an apology for the delayed release, but in case anyone needed it confirmed, there it is.
Thanks.
Figures I just ordered the Asia release from them 2 days ago. Would have liked the official North American release but got tired of waiting on silence.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Just curious, why do you all want disc releases on a system that is known for never having backwards compatibility?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Sony? PS2 is compatible with PS, PS3 was compatible for PS2 at first and is always compatible with PS. I don't totally know why PS4 wasn't backwards compatible; previous PlayStations were also sold alongside another gen. Sony also does a lot of rereleases on PSN.

Nintendo? The Wii U was backwards compatible with the Wii, and the Wii was backwards compatible with the GC, and these only even happened because they use the same tech. Nintendo also does a lot of rereleases through online services, and they have the most breadth and depth of this just with the Wii alone.

That aside, backwards compatibility is overrated and shouldn't really be a selling point, especially when the vast majority of backwards compatibility is questionable. Doing something like the PSone or the second NES and SNES (aside from things like removing video ports) is a far superior strategy.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

2dvertical wrote:Just curious, why do you all want disc releases on a system that is known for never having backwards compatibility?
I don't have internet connection to my game systems.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Despatche wrote:Sony? PS2 is compatible with PS, PS3 was compatible for PS2 at first and is always compatible with PS. I don't totally know why PS4 wasn't backwards compatible; previous PlayStations were also sold alongside another gen. Sony also does a lot of rereleases on PSN.

Nintendo? The Wii U was backwards compatible with the Wii, and the Wii was backwards compatible with the GC, and these only even happened because they use the same tech. Nintendo also does a lot of rereleases through online services, and they have the most breadth and depth of this just with the Wii alone.

That aside, backwards compatibility is overrated and shouldn't really be a selling point, especially when the vast majority of backwards compatibility is questionable. Doing something like the PSone or the second NES and SNES (aside from things like removing video ports) is a far superior strategy.
I guess I should not have said “never” , I meant from this point forward it does not look good. I have a phat ps3, ps4, and jpn 360. The only disc I ever bought were for the ps1, ps2, ps3 and 360. I was more curious as to why for this game and others people are holding out for discs from limited run games etc. rather than just getting the download...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

That's an even easier question to answer: digital is overrated and actually problematic. It is backward instead of forward, and it destroys the concept of value. It's already bad enough that physical nowadays is mostly some half-assed physical that's far too close to digital degeneracy.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Yay! Managed to beat my old PS2 personal best on this version. 92 million points ! 100 million is the next goal I suppose.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Delta levels really are very well designed, I wonder who handled them, from what I can guess MR2151 had a big hand in making the original levels be as epic as they were, and the quality suffered a lot when he left the team before Psyvariar 2, maybe they found someone else or got some OG japanese players involved, either way the new levels are great, especially at making you break out of the patterns established by the original levels.

Better than nothing I guess..
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Has there been any further indication as to when the Switch version of this is coming? I pre-ordered the LE back in May and I'm almost ready to see if I can get a refund. Wasn't the original release date supposed to be September of last year?
FRO

Post by FRO »

steveovig wrote:Has there been any further indication as to when the Switch version of this is coming? I pre-ordered the LE back in May and I'm almost ready to see if I can get a refund. Wasn't the original release date supposed to be September of last year?
I've been wondering the same thing. I bought the US release direct from Dispatch Games, and have seen nothing in recent weeks to indicate that it's still coming. Dispatch's website still has "Preorder Now!" in their site banner, for Psyvariar Delta, but it's no longer listed on their Products page. Anyone have more detailed knowledge of if/when this is actually happening?
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

steveovig wrote:Has there been any further indication as to when the Switch version of this is coming? I pre-ordered the LE back in May and I'm almost ready to see if I can get a refund. Wasn't the original release date supposed to be September of last year?
I gave up and bought the Japanese version which is in complete English and has multiple language options. It even has a Dispatch Games screen after City Connection one.

This should have come out already. No excuses honestly.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, is this game longer than the original? I didn't read all the posts.
I read that it has new levels.
So, it's a longer game? I hated how short the originals were.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

^nope, the new mode is 8 stages, same length as Revision.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Some of the Delta versions of the levels are longer, some are shorter, but all of them are more challenging.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Hrmm...OK. I'll think it over.

On YouTube, playthroughs of the original are like 11 minutes or something. And the new one is 18.
Any explanation for that?