RetroFighters Brawler64 Controller

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KoroKoro

RetroFighters Brawler64 Controller

Post by KoroKoro »

*Not sure if this is the best forum to post this, but if it's against forum rules, then apologies in advance.*

So I picked up 2x of the new coloured Brawler64 controllers a couple of weeks ago. Found it a bit weird that they didn't accept paypal, but thought nothing of it.

Controllers arrived, plugged them in and they work. However my first test was to check the calibration and that all the buttons work.
Unfortunately it seems the analogue stick isn't centred to the plastic gated case. i.e. right moves past 100% and left movement is obstructed.
It's actually bad enough to notice it's not physically centred on the gate by eye.
I'm not sure if this is a known issue, as I wasn't able to find any information / reviews on the new coloured transparent controllers.

I emailed RetroFighters directly 10 days ago on 3 different email addresses including their online contact form through their website. No response what so ever. I suspect I'm being ignored... but who knows...

What would be the best course of action? Is it possible to fix this myself?

Cheers.

BuckoA51

Re: RetroFighters Brawler64 Controller

Post by BuckoA51 »

What's that software you are using, is it downloadable as a N64 ROM?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

BuckoA51 wrote:What's that software you are using, is it downloadable as a N64 ROM?
Here you go.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

If It's on a Windows PC you can recalibrate analog controls in the Hardware menu.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Hm, heard multiple bad things about those N64 controllers from RetroFighters. They seemed pretty reasonable and I was hoping we could finally retire the Hori Mini Pad, but looks like that'll remain the definitive N64 controller for a while longer.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:If It's on a Windows PC you can recalibrate analog controls in the Hardware menu.
It's not; it's a ROM to be used with flash carts.
KoroKoro

Post by KoroKoro »

due to forum rules, I can neither confirm or deny the use of any flash carts ;)

If I can only turn left 80%, I would say yes, it affects game play. Probably more so with racing games etc.
I have played a bit of F-Zero and it centres fine and small movements register fine. But as soon as the stick hits the plastic gate... thats it all you'll get.
Since their customer support sucks... it looks like I'm on my own on this issue, so I'll likely have to fix it myself.
So after thinking about this over the last couple of weeks, my option is to desolder the analogue stick assembly, re-drill the PCB by the offset amount (Hopefully I wont have to re-route traces) however I worry that this wont work as 100% up and down is centred on the x axis, so moving stick to the right will cause it to track slightly left when sitting in the gated groves at 100% up/down.
Which leads me to believe that my only real option is to drill out the gated pattern completely and 3D print my own gated cover to replace it. Unfortunately it's a much less elegant solution but will allow me to control exactly where my end points will be through subsequent print revisions
James-F

Post by James-F »

ASDR wrote:They seemed pretty reasonable and I was hoping we could finally retire the Hori Mini Pad, but looks like that'll remain the definitive N64 controller for a while longer.
I'd argue that the definitive N64 controller is the original with a tight stick or fixed stick with a kitsch-bent kit.

Also, the controller test rom above is very useful to check various n64 controllers for range and resolution.
Resolution, is often overlooked when testing a n64 controller, since third party may have good range that matches the original but very poor resolution with plenty of skipped steps and only 8-axis movement.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

James-F wrote:
ASDR wrote:They seemed pretty reasonable and I was hoping we could finally retire the Hori Mini Pad, but looks like that'll remain the definitive N64 controller for a while longer.
I'd argue that the definitive N64 controller is the original with a tight stick or fixed stick with a kitsch-bent kit.

Also, the controller test rom above is very useful to check various n64 controllers for range and resolution.
Resolution, is often overlooked when testing a n64 controller, since third party may have good range that matches the original but very poor resolution with plenty of skipped steps and only 8-axis movement.
Didn't all the stick replacement kits have the issue with limited resolution or 8-axis movement? The stick on the Hori Pad is really good and certainly way better than even an original controller in perfect condition (I got one). And even if you would put the best analog stick ever made the original N64 controller would still be inferior due to its trident design. The Hori puts the analog in the correct position and replicates the Z trigger to both sides, exactly like the RetroFighters one and like any sensible controller would. Finally you can play Wipeout 64 and reach both bumpers and the analog stick without having three hands. The N64 controller feels like a 1st iteration prototype of an analog controller that should've never been released :D
strayan

Post by strayan »

KoroKoro wrote: I'm not sure if this is a known issue, as I wasn't able to find any information / reviews on the new coloured transparent controllers.
This looks almost exactly the same as the one in the mjr review from last year: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p81ImQx5hmA

No one buying this controller seems to really care. I can’t cope with such loose tolerances!

You can still pickup as new original N64 controllers on eBay for less than $100. Totally worth IMO.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ASDR wrote:Didn't all the stick replacement kits have the issue with limited resolution or 8-axis movement?
Depends on which ones you're talking about. I believe the cheap original-style and GameCube-style replacements do have those issues; however, I don't think the replacement modules from SteelSticks 64 do (their issue instead is availability. :P).
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

The controller works fine for all my general testing. BUT!!!

Late in design they decided to add the octagonal gate to the stick to better get the authentic n64 feel but instead of using the n64 (not quite an octagon) they chose the gamecube which is a geometrically perfect octagon. I dunno why they half assed it this way. It is my only complaint in an otherwise really good quality controller.

I still use an original with a 3d printed brass gear set and 3d printed stick along with the steelsticks64 steel bowl and thumb cap. My results are about 97% of a brand new original controller.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

nmalinoski wrote:
ASDR wrote:Didn't all the stick replacement kits have the issue with limited resolution or 8-axis movement?
Depends on which ones you're talking about. I believe the cheap original-style and GameCube-style replacements do have those issues; however, I don't think the replacement modules from SteelSticks 64 do (their issue instead is availability. :P).
Good to hear, IIRC at the time where the MLiG guys did their video such good options did not exist. I wonder if there are stick replacement for my Hori Mini Pad, must be some sort of standard joystick, even has a L3-style click (does nothing).
KoroKoro

Post by KoroKoro »

Well, its been over a month now since they said "they are looking into this with their engineering team"... and haven't heard a peep since.
This has been really disappointing, considering I bought one for my friend also. It seems the online reviews that I've seen doesn't really match up what I've experienced. Disappointing :(