X68000 : enabling midi mode on Choujin/Gemini Wing

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
guyot

X68000 : enabling midi mode on Choujin/Gemini Wing

Post by guyot »

I just got a Roland CM-64, so I've been trying to set up XM6 to output to it.

For a while I thought I'd got the config wrong, as I was just having no luck with Choujin/Gemini Wing (which I know support the cm-64), so I tried a couple of other games - castlevania worked right away. Googling found that Sol-Feace works only if you hold down the 登録 key on startup.

Does anyone know if Choujin/Gemini Wing need some special method to output to midi like Sol-Feace? Is there a list of midi enabled X68K games anywhere?
SuperDeadite

Re: X68000 : enabling midi mode on Choujin/Gemini Wing

Post by SuperDeadite »

Gemini Wing: Hold F keys during boot.
F1 MT-32
F2 CM-64
F3 CM-64 + SN-U110-07 (Electric Guitar)
F4 CM-64 + SN-U110-10 (Rock Drums)
F7 for vertical screen mode

Choujin does it all from the options menu, just select your nodule setup. Then go to the sound test and find "Inialize Midi" to get your module reset properly.
guyot

Post by guyot »

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that on Choujin. I blame too much time trying to get Gemini Wing working first, haha.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

This thread almost made me go down a rabbit hole. I had to meditate, and embrace my ignorance on the particulars. I got half-way through a 3 hour video on youtube and told myself "NO".
guyot

Post by guyot »

Craft_XIII wrote:This thread almost made me go down a rabbit hole. I had to meditate, and embrace my ignorance on the particulars. I got half-way through a 3 hour video on youtube and told myself "NO".
Hahaha, probably a good call. Synth has ended up being a fairly expensive rabbit hole for me. Pretty enjoyable though!
donluca

Post by donluca »

Just as a FIY: if you're not super anal about accuracy, I have a very nice Yamaha TG300 which does a fantastic job with most MIDI sources, X68000 included and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Akumajou Dracula has a mode made specifically for the TG300 and it sounds absolutely stunning.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

donluca wrote:Just as a FIY: if you're not super anal about accuracy, I have a very nice Yamaha TG300 which does a fantastic job with most MIDI sources, X68000 included and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Akumajou Dracula has a mode made specifically for the TG300 and it sounds absolutely stunning.
What? It has LA , GS, and GM. TG300 will work in GS and GM, but nothing special for the TG300. But you can never have enough modules, I have 14 or so iirc. LOL.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Brain fart.

Don't know why I was thinking of SC-55 as TG-300 and somehow mixed it up with Asuka 120% which has TG-100 support.

It gets confusing pretty quickly, LOL.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

donluca wrote:Brain fart.

Don't know why I was thinking of SC-55 as TG-300 and somehow mixed it up with Asuka 120% which has TG-100 support.

It gets confusing pretty quickly, LOL.
Well TG300 B Mode is Yamaha's SC-55 clone mode. It uses Yamaha samples so sounds different from a real SC-55, but it should be
fully compatible. Some may even prefer Yamaha's samples over the Roland originals. Now the TG100 is pure GM with no GS support.
For Dracula, LA and FM are tops imo. But it does sound quite awesome on my Akai SG01k as well.
Guile

Post by Guile »

This was the most relevant thread I could find on MIDI and the X68000. Does anyone know how to enable MIDI on Parodius Da? When I start the game it just goes straight to the Start screen and I don't see any options for sound settings.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Guile wrote:This was the most relevant thread I could find on MIDI and the X68000. Does anyone know how to enable MIDI on Parodius Da? When I start the game it just goes straight to the Start screen and I don't see any options for sound settings.
F3 at title screen for configuration mode. Note that the game is specifically MT32 and FM mix. So you will need external mixer. There is a volume balence test track in the music test area.
Guile

Post by Guile »

SuperDeadite wrote: F3 at title screen for configuration mode. Note that the game is specifically MT32 and FM mix. So you will need external mixer. There is a volume balence test track in the music test area.
Thanks, I'll try that.