Found off the shelf 555 recoil circuit for auto solenoid

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Found off the shelf 555 recoil circuit for auto solenoid

Post by Classicgamer »

Just in case this helps somebody else...

I got some of these ne555 square wave signal generators off eBay to create a full auto recoil solenoid effect. As far as I can tell, it's a ready-made version of the Syntax 555 circuit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4qC2pfj3o

They cost around $7 delivered. That is cheaper than buying the components individually to build your own. I got 2 for $10 delivered.

I have one activating a solid state relay in the video but I think you could connect one directly to your light gun trigger and run a 12v solenoid from it.

They have two pots so it's easy to adjust frequency and duty cycle.

As an FYI, the solenoid in the video is 12v and it packs a considerable punch even when it is powered from a battery. Just remember to buy a solenoid rated for continuous duty. The Terminator Salvation solenoid is a good low cost option.
Syntax

Re: Found off the shelf 555 recoil circuit for auto solenoid

Post by Syntax »

Do they sell a monostable version to be used for single fire?

You can replace the relay with a mosfet if you want. It's faster and cheaper.
Classicgamer

Re: Found off the shelf 555 recoil circuit for auto solenoid

Post by Classicgamer »

Syntax wrote:Do they sell a monostable version to be used for single fire?

You can replace the relay with a mosfet if you want. It's faster and cheaper.
There are plenty of monostable 555 circuits on eBay too and they cost around the same price. I bought a bunch of them a while ago thinking they were astable. I don't think it is necessary to have both though.

After fine tuning the frequency and duty cycle pots, I was able to make it so it recoils once when you pull the trigger and release, and then recoil full auto when you hold the trigger. For me, that covers 100% of my recoil needs.

On games like Time Crisis 3 where you switch between auto and semi auto in-game, it makes it feel less arcade-like if you have to flick a switch on the gun. I'll see how it goes though and how well this works for semi-auto games. If I keep triggering auto recoil by mistake then, as you said, I can add a monostable timer, or maybe just a solid state relay direct.