gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
coderkind

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by coderkind »

superg wrote:
coderkind wrote: Makes sense to me, thank you. No idea how you'd possibly trick it though!
Basically to make it work you have to provide Y (green connector) as composite (SCART pin 20) on input, and extract it from composite (SCART pin 19) back to Y on output.
It's tricky because you will have to modify both component to SCART adapters.
Thanks superg. Will the new model easily allow for this (I've got it on-order)?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

coderkind wrote:
superg wrote:
coderkind wrote: Makes sense to me, thank you. No idea how you'd possibly trick it though!
Basically to make it work you have to provide Y (green connector) as composite (SCART pin 20) on input, and extract it from composite (SCART pin 19) back to Y on output.
It's tricky because you will have to modify both component to SCART adapters.
Thanks superg. Will the new model easily allow for this (I've got it on-order)?
The new one will watch for sync on the composite pin as well as the RGB green pin. So as long as you plug Y (usually color coded as green) into RGB green. It'll work.
superg

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote: Thanks superg. Will the new model easily allow for this (I've got it on-order)?
DirkSwizzler wrote: The new one will watch for sync on the composite pin as well as the RGB green pin. So as long as you plug Y (usually color coded as green) into RGB green. It'll work.
This is correct. New gscartsw detection is performed on both composite and green channel (SoG). Y is shared with Green in all component->scart adapters so it will work without modifications.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

The problem is making the component to Scart passthrough cables. I can't find any one online that sells them.
You also don't need to convert it back if you are running the gscart straight to an OSSC since it supports component as well through the Scart connector.
Decoryah

Post by Decoryah »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I have one of the mentioned adapters as well as one that mixes in audio.

I use HDMI for my PS3. And I'm not sure you want me to be the one doing visual comparisons. I don't have as keen an eye for this stuff as some.

I ran XBox 720p through my adapter with audio and verified that it functions on port 8 if that's what you're getting at.

And, as mentioned, I've been running a garo through there with HD signals from PS2 and XBox for a while without issues.
I think I'll wait and see if smaller adapter would help. I also think that LPF in Gscartsw v3.4 still could be why I'm getting picture but it's just awfully blurry. So maybe new Gscartsw without LPF will solve my issues just like that. Or there's also LPF mod to older model that can be done.

Btw is there any reason why you use Garo instead of small YPbPr to SCART adapter in your chain if both methods work for you? I mean isn't that more complex signal chain with Garo or is there any other benefits with it other than you can use any scart switch port then?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Decoryah wrote:I think I'll wait and see if smaller adapter would help. I also think that LPF in Gscartsw v3.4 still could be why I'm getting picture but it's just awfully blurry. So maybe new Gscartsw without LPF will solve my issues just like that. Or there's also LPF mod to older model that can be done.

Btw is there any reason why you use Garo instead of small YPbPr to SCART adapter in your chain if both methods work for you? I mean isn't that more complex signal chain with Garo or is there any other benefits with it other than you can use any scart switch port then?
I only used the passive adapter to test the new gscartsw. Seeing as how YPbPr is indistinguishable from RGsB to the switch.

For day to day use. I terminate my entire auto switching chain at RGBS. I've been doing it that way since before the OSSC had it's own auto switching behavior. And my PVM is RGB only.
Decoryah

Post by Decoryah »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Decoryah wrote:I think I'll wait and see if smaller adapter would help. I also think that LPF in Gscartsw v3.4 still could be why I'm getting picture but it's just awfully blurry. So maybe new Gscartsw without LPF will solve my issues just like that. Or there's also LPF mod to older model that can be done.

I only used the passive adapter to test the new gscartsw. Seeing as how YPbPr is indistinguishable from RGsB to the switch.

For day to day use. I terminate my entire auto switching chain at RGBS. I've been doing it that way since before the OSSC had it's own auto switching behavior. And my PVM is RGB only.
Ahh, I see. Makes sense to keep it simple that way.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

Hi superg,

Was wondering if orders were still open for the gscartsw? Your latest update (on the first post) was from January 6th. I would love to get one but would hate to order now if they're not open for orders.

Thanks! Great work!
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

Does the current version of the gscartsw (5.1) add a low pass filter? If so, is there a way to disable it?
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

For those looking for a TOSLINK switch, there's a new 7-port switch from Beni_Skate that includes both coax and fiber options on input/output, along with a options for a DAC and/or redundant outputs.

https://www.tindie.com/products/Beni_Skate/automatic-spdif-opticalrca-audio-switch/

Portta has both a 3-port, along with a 4-port:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDZEWWO
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A89OEUY

ViewHD/Tendak also have a different 3-port:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G188Z7A
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y0K9YXK
superg

Post by superg »

Foxe wrote:Hi superg,

Was wondering if orders were still open for the gscartsw? Your latest update (on the first post) was from January 6th. I would love to get one but would hate to order now if they're not open for orders.

Thanks! Great work!
The pre orders are still open. ETA is March 2019.
Foxe wrote:Does the current version of the gscartsw (5.1) add a low pass filter? If so, is there a way to disable it?
No low pass filter.
55Vert56Mark

Post by 55Vert56Mark »

Hello SuperG,

Not sure if this has already been answered in the thread but is there a time frame date known yet for orders or pre-orders for the 8.2compsw? I already have a pre-order in for the scart switch was just curious about your new comp switch. Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

55Vert56Mark wrote:Hello SuperG,

Not sure if this has already been answered in the thread but is there a time frame date known yet for orders or pre-orders for the 8.2compsw? I already have a pre-order in for the scart switch was just curious about your new comp switch. Thanks!
I will start accepting gcompsw pre-orders (or will order the batch myself, not sure yet) once I start shipping all gscartsw's. New 8:2 gcompsw is complete, I have prototypes here and they are fully functional, I made case drawings and ordered a few laser cut panels just to fully assemble everything I have here. Don't want to open orders now as I would like to handle the backlog first to make it easier on me.
ZoiksMan

Post by ZoiksMan »

I Can't Wait! (gcompsw). :D
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Sure do wish new users were forced to search before asking questions answered twice already...
slerch666

Post by slerch666 »

Wonder if it's information that could be pinned to the first post?
superg

Post by superg »

slerch666 wrote:Wonder if it's information that could be pinned to the first post?
Updated. I know guys, I suck at this updates / mailing lists thing ;)
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:
slerch666 wrote:Wonder if it's information that could be pinned to the first post?
Updated. I know guys, I suck at this updates / mailing lists thing ;)
I think the date (5/5/2019) is suspect. Unless you have a time machine!
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote: I think the date (5/5/2019) is suspect. Unless you have a time machine!
Oops, thanks for pointing that out, fixed!
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

Dazdigo wrote:The problem is making the component to Scart passthrough cables. I can't find any one online that sells them.
You also don't need to convert it back if you are running the gscart straight to an OSSC since it supports component as well through the Scart connector.
Retro-Access.com made my component to SCART passthrough, you just have to make them with her custom cable builder and she'll build it for ya (Just choose a SCART cable with 3 RCA sockets for the video source, and two more RCA sockets for the audio). Highly recommend her, she also built my SCART to BNC cable for my PVM as well as many of my SCART cables.
55Vert56Mark

Post by 55Vert56Mark »

ldeveraux - I can ask what i want. I dont have time to fumble through over 100 pages on this, maybe you do since you probably have no life, so do yourself a favor and mind your business.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

55Vert56Mark wrote:ldeveraux - I can ask what i want. I dont have time to fumble through over 100 pages on this, maybe you do since you probably have no life, so do yourself a favor and mind your business.
You sure can ask what you'd like! We would like to prevent repetition from happening, lest the same question is asked many times, fumbling up the thread, annoying the regulars. Like you did. The answer was literally a page before your post.

But you're a power user, you have 2 posts under your belt, so I'll just defer to your better interests from now on. Also, learn to quote. Also also, search is here: search.php. Use it before you're 3rd post please.
rivlez

Post by rivlez »

Does anyone know if you can daisy chain a w-hydra2 and a gscartsw? I have 12 Scart devices and bought the hydra for the 16 inputs but I feel like it’s created visual glitches to the picture on some consoles. I also have the gscartsw 8:2 and it was awesome. Might go back to my gscartsw and get another. FYI I have a XRGB Mini and OSSC.
55Vert56Mark

Post by 55Vert56Mark »

"power user". sorry i dont sit on the web all day chatting with people on the internet. Maybe just too busy living out in the real world. I get what your saying but no need to be an ass about it. Im paying the guy for his product so even though youre a "regular power user nerd" on this site and spend all your time on here, ill ask whatever question i want whenever i want. If he had a direct email or contact number i would have just called him instead of hearing trolls like yourself. So correct me if im wrong, is this your product? did you create it? are you selling it? if all answers are no then mind your business....again.
superg

Post by superg »

55Vert56Mark wrote:"power user". sorry i dont sit on the web all day chatting with people on the internet. Maybe just too busy living out in the real world. I get what your saying but no need to be an ass about it. Im paying the guy for his product so even though youre a "regular power user nerd" on this site and spend all your time on here, ill ask whatever question i want whenever i want. If he had a direct email or contact number i would have just called him instead of hearing trolls like yourself. So correct me if im wrong, is this your product? did you create it? are you selling it? if all answers are no then mind your business....again.
Please be constructive, I don't want any drama here. Just want to point out one thing as a "guy getting paid for my product", every time I'm asked a question I spend my time to reply and I'm trying to be good about it and reply to everybody. I realize that one support topic with a lot of information is not necessarily the most effective way of communication but ATM it's the easiest thing for me. You don't have to even search the thread, much easier is to click on my profile and see my last messages. Because by saving 5 minutes yourself you spend my 5 minutes. And also you're not only one, there are a lot of people and I get a lot of PMs and direct emails to gretrostuff and forum posts asking questions which were already explained a few times here. I have a full time job and sometimes I spend up to one hour just for the replies and enquiries.
konkers

Post by konkers »

superg wrote:Just want to point out one thing as a "guy getting paid for my product", every time I'm asked a question I spend my time to reply and I'm trying to be good about it and reply to everybody. I realize that one support topic with a lot of information is not necessarily the most effective way of communication but ATM it's the easiest thing for me.
As someone patiently waiting for my gscartsw_lite, I super appreciate the updates and insight into the dev and production process!
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

superg wrote:
55Vert56Mark wrote:"power user". sorry i dont sit on the web all day chatting with people on the internet. Maybe just too busy living out in the real world. I get what your saying but no need to be an ass about it. Im paying the guy for his product so even though youre a "regular power user nerd" on this site and spend all your time on here, ill ask whatever question i want whenever i want. If he had a direct email or contact number i would have just called him instead of hearing trolls like yourself. So correct me if im wrong, is this your product? did you create it? are you selling it? if all answers are no then mind your business....again.
Please be constructive, I don't want any drama here. Just want to point out one thing as a "guy getting paid for my product", every time I'm asked a question I spend my time to reply and I'm trying to be good about it and reply to everybody. I realize that one support topic with a lot of information is not necessarily the most effective way of communication but ATM it's the easiest thing for me. You don't have to even search the thread, much easier is to click on my profile and see my last messages. Because by saving 5 minutes yourself you spend my 5 minutes. And also you're not only one, there are a lot of people and I get a lot of PMs and direct emails to gretrostuff and forum posts asking questions which were already explained a few times here. I have a full time job and sometimes I spend up to one hour just for the replies and enquiries.
SuperG, your products are amazing and well worth waiting on. I can't imagine doing all the stuff you're Doing while still doing a full-time job. Every time I see people say stupid, annoying, and time-wasting things on here, it makes me worry that you're going to throw your hands in the air and quit. Please don't man. The retro gaming community needs your badass products!

Also, don't worry about replying to this post in any form or fashion. This is simply meant for praise and encouragement, and I don't don't want you to have to waste your time by replying when you have more important things to reply to.
superg

Post by superg »

rivlez wrote:Does anyone know if you can daisy chain a w-hydra2 and a gscartsw? I have 12 Scart devices and bought the hydra for the 16 inputs but I feel like it’s created visual glitches to the picture on some consoles. I also have the gscartsw 8:2 and it was awesome. Might go back to my gscartsw and get another. FYI I have a XRGB Mini and OSSC.
Should be possible I think. As far as I know he doesn't daisy chain his units using SCART but rather his interconnection bus, that wouldn't work. But you can always daisy chain using SCART. Problem here is that not many people own his stuff and as far as I know it still has a lot of problems.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

superg wrote:
rivlez wrote:Does anyone know if you can daisy chain a w-hydra2 and a gscartsw? I have 12 Scart devices and bought the hydra for the 16 inputs but I feel like it’s created visual glitches to the picture on some consoles. I also have the gscartsw 8:2 and it was awesome. Might go back to my gscartsw and get another. FYI I have a XRGB Mini and OSSC.
Should be possible I think. As far as I know he doesn't daisy chain his units using SCART but rather his interconnection bus, that wouldn't work. But you can always daisy chain using SCART. Problem here is that not many people own his stuff and as far as I know it still has a lot of problems.
The only time I've seen someone try it was a My Life in Gaming video about 2 years back.

If I remember correctly, they recommended against mixing the two units. But that either one worked fine on its own.
superg

Post by superg »

DirkSwizzler wrote: The only time I've seen someone try it was a My Life in Gaming video about 2 years back.
That was the only video about it I saw back then. I speculate that there are more chances that it would work if gscartsw is last in chain.