TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MarkOZLAD

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by MarkOZLAD »

The vertical bands are called jailbars. That might help you narrow down your search.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
jkchr1s

Post by jkchr1s »

MarkOZLAD wrote:The vertical bands are called jailbars. That might help you narrow down your search.
Thanks, that did help a lot! From what I can tell, it's caused by interference. What's strange is that if I flip my blanking switch off with no RGB signal being fed in, both the black screen for no video input and the OSD menu show the jailbars. I have the RGB wires soldered directly on the jungle IC legs, then going to a 75 ohm resister that's grounded to a ground on the the tuner (I'm suspecting this is the culprit?), followed by the 220uF caps.

Do you suspect the ground I'm using to be causing the problem? Before this mod, the set didn't show any jailbars. I wasn't sure the best place for ground and found this one from toning it out. Should I get the ground from the jungle? If so, which one? Is it safe to use the compsite jack's ground instead?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Use the ground on the composite video jack.

Make sure none of your wires get close to the flyback.
nem

Post by nem »

HellRazor wrote:
LuckyDay wrote:Have you seen a bad cap leak white out of the top without bursting or cracking? This stuff definitely isn't adhesive on top. I cleaned it all up. And these big caps are slightly different than the smaller ones I'm used to using with the metal tops.

Actually you know what, I can just remove this thing and test it out. These big ones are simple to replace.
think your capacitor is starting to stew, find two exactly like yours on my KV-1441 board and one of them is completely stew, just replace, he seens ok tho so try to find bad solder spots
The white stuff is just thermal compound for the transistor. Nothing is stewing.
HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

nem wrote:
HellRazor wrote:
LuckyDay wrote:Have you seen a bad cap leak white out of the top without bursting or cracking? This stuff definitely isn't adhesive on top. I cleaned it all up. And these big caps are slightly different than the smaller ones I'm used to using with the metal tops.

Actually you know what, I can just remove this thing and test it out. These big ones are simple to replace.
think your capacitor is starting to stew, find two exactly like yours on my KV-1441 board and one of them is completely stew, just replace, he seens ok tho so try to find bad solder spots
The white stuff is just thermal compound for the transistor. Nothing is stewing.
Thats why i tell him to try to find bad solder joints instead, because the guys TV not turn on.
err0neous

Post by err0neous »

err0neous wrote:Hi guys,

I have a KV-27V10 that I have been trying to mod. I have set it up exactly as described in the OP diagram. Resistors to ground and capacitors on the RGB input lines. When I switch to my injected input I get a white screen and it persists whether I have something feeding signal or not. Switch back to normal operation and everything is fine, black screen on video inputs and OSD is crisp. So, maybe this set requires some other tuning of the input signal? Here are some photos:

https://imgur.com/a/VZB5AjZ

Test pattern is from SNES over RGB.

Thanks for any assistance.
Hi guys,

I think my original post (quoted) got buried because I was a new user on the forum. I just wanted to check one more time to see if anyone can shed some light on what might be wrong with my mod.

The rest of the pics are at my imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/VZB5AjZ

I looked through most of the pages on this thread and haven't seen anyone else have this problem.

Anyway, as always, any assistance is appreciated, but it looks like it might be Dumpster time for this Trinitron.

Thanks,
err0neous
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Go over your connections till you find what you did wrong.

I'd say blanking would be a good place to start
err0neous

Post by err0neous »

I'm feeding 5V into pin 9 on the jungle chip. It's labeled OSD BLK. I tried both pin 5 on IC103 and pin 63 on IC101 as 5V sources.
Spoiler
That's the diagram I'm using from the service manual. Is pin 9 the wrong pin for blanking?

Thanks!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Should be 5v across a 180R/75R divider.

Are you using 16 17 18 for RGB input? If so then pin 9 is not the blanking pin, that is only for the OSD lines.
err0neous

Post by err0neous »

No, I'm using pins 10, 11, 12 to inject on the OSD RGB lines. I have it configured exactly as described in post 1 on this thread. It doesn't seem to mention a divider for the 5V. I probably don't understand the diagram. Where can I buy a 180R/75R divider? I tried a google search but didn't find one.
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Does your tv have a caption decoder board on it and what jungle IC do you have.

Should be a CXA1468AS or CXA1465AS and they should be pretty much the same.

If you look at the datasheet for the CXA1465AS you can see pins 10'11 and 12 use digital rgb which would explain why your not getting any video.

https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/ ... 465AS.html

You need to trace out pins 15 through 18,that should get you rgb.
3dshogun

Post by 3dshogun »

I finally signed up here to ask for help, been messing around with this tv for a month.
My first 2 RGB mod was successful (Sony & Toshiba).

I can't seem to get this TV to look right.
The RGB video is very dim and not vivid.

Sorry for my poor English.

Panasonic TV model #CT-20G4CA
Jungle IC AN5166k

I lifted the jungle ic pins (no muxing)

5v to blanking pin

0.1uf on rgb line
75 ohm terminate to ground
sync on composite

Last edited by 3dshogun on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yeah that first post is so old and should be axed/edited.
We dont use switches anymore. We mix the OSD with our console RGB using cheap passive components.

Also if you have external RGB injection like PiP or Teltext use it.
err0neous

Post by err0neous »

Pikkon wrote:Does your tv have a caption decoder board on it and what jungle IC do you have.

Should be a CXA1468AS or CXA1465AS and they should be pretty much the same.

If you look at the datasheet for the CXA1465AS you can see pins 10'11 and 12 use digital rgb which would explain why your not getting any video.

https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/ ... 465AS.html

You need to trace out pins 15 through 18,that should get you rgb.
My jungle chip is CXA1865S. I am getting good RGB video it just has this white overlay. I must be feeding the wrong voltage into the OSD BLK pin, or maybe OSD BLK is the wrong pin.

I will try feeding 5V to the YM pin 14 instead.

If that doesn't work my friend is gonna help me throw the tv in the dumpster behind the market late tonight when no one is around.

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for messing up your forum with my newbie questions.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Or you could try doing it properly and putting your RGB signal into pins 15 through 18.

God knows why you decided to do an OSD switch on a set that has external RGB inputs... Oh yeah that crappy first post...
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

It's right here dude,no need to chuck the tv.

comp1demon

Post by comp1demon »

Any Idea if this TV can be RGB SCart Modded?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/99119 ... tml#manual
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I really don't have time to comb the thread and maintain the original post with lists. If someone else wants to make a public spreadsheet that can collate important posts, I'm happy to edit the first post to link to it instead of editing the list of links repeatedly.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

I did a KV-27FS12 with OSD mix and I get RGB but colors are way bright and bleeding compared to composite. I terminated with 75 Ohms initially, bumped it up to 100 and didn't notice improvement. Went to 150 Ohms next time and it's still the same brightness. What gives? Tested my added RCA RGB inputs and they read 150 Ohms so they are terminated.

I tried to jump another 75 Ohms on the red output on the back of the genesis to ground with only red hooked up to CRT, got super dark, almost couldn't see anything. Why is it such a big different with another 75 Ohms now? If I jump Composite out to red with 75 Ohms color intensity lowers a good amount and bleeding goes away and picture is way more sharp. I'm confused here.

Maybe my blanking voltage is 3v and not 5v? Or maybe my RGB voltages are too high and jungle wants .5v instead of .7v I don't know. How can we tell?

Page 36 has the jungle schematic.
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2009_07/0 ... 104768.pdf
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

comp1demon wrote:Any Idea if this TV can be RGB SCart Modded?

Looks like this TV has a TB1253AN Jungle chip that should be able to be modded to accept external RGB.

Here is the Datasheet

Please don't look at the first page for how to mod it, will save us having to re-educate you.

err0neous

Post by err0neous »

Guys, it worked!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) You guys are the best, no matter what those youtube commenters say! :wink: :wink:

SMS Double Dragon with SMSFM (webm with sound):
https://gfycat.com/FeistyCoarseChuckwalla

I busted the rear input plastic panel when I tried to screw it back together, it was so old and brittle:
Spoiler
:D :D :D Thanks again!!

edit one more R-Type with SMSFM:
https://gfycat.com/NippyFlusteredBlueandgoldmackaw
Last edited by err0neous on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

Good job err0neous. It looks like you are getting color bleeding like me. You can see the red bleeding.

I tried a lower inline resistors on the RGB inputs, 600 Ohms down from 900 Ohms. This brought my RGB OSD voltage to .53v but picture looks the same.

Then tried upping OSD external OSD resistor from 2.2 kOhms to 5 Kohms. This brought OSD blank voltage up to around 3.0v but now I get no color on RGB sync over svideo. When I switch to sync on composite I get colors and they are less bright, still need to adjust it though and get it a bit more brighter and hopefully it was sync on svideo again.

Anyone have any other ideas?
comp1demon

Post by comp1demon »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
comp1demon wrote:Any Idea if this TV can be RGB SCart Modded?

Looks like this TV has a TB1253AN Jungle chip that should be able to be modded to accept external RGB.

Here is the Datasheet

Please don't look at the first page for how to mod it, will save us having to re-educate you.
Pretty Awesome.

Any Help would be appreciated. this will be my first time.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

comp1demon wrote:
Pretty Awesome.

Need schematic

comp1demon

Post by comp1demon »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
comp1demon wrote:
Pretty Awesome.

Need schematic
Yes Please

Any Help would be appreciated. Never done a Mod of this scale before.

I am pretty awesome at soldering, been doing small SMD soldering for PCB for game console modding for years.

I have a basic Idea of what I need to do.

But with the conflicting info about not reading page 1 and such. I am curious how this all works now.

So yes please Any help would be extremely appreciated.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

comp1demon wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:
comp1demon wrote:
Pretty Awesome.

Need schematic
Yes Please

Any Help would be appreciated. Never done a Mod of this scale before.

I am pretty awesome at soldering, been doing small SMD soldering for PCB for game console modding for years.

I have a basic Idea of what I need to do.

But with the conflicting info about not reading page 1 and such. I am curious how this all works now.

So yes please Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Without a schematic it's difficult to know exactly how yours will be modded but I'd be willing to bet it's a candidate for the OSD Mux method. You can probably find the posts by looking at my profile. You can see a case study in my thread for Sony BA-5/BA-5D where we applied the method to a sony.

By using the OSD Mux method you get to keep your OSD when in RGB mode.

The OSD RGB circuits of many TVs are similar, you have 5V RGB from the microcontroller going to a inline resistor (R1) and a ground resistor (R2) to make a voltage divider, these then go into a cap and then into the jungle chip. For the mux method we remove the ground resistor and feed in our RGB via 75 Ohm termination resistor and a new inline resistor that we have to calculate the value for (it's easy, there's a table). The new inline resistor and 75 termination resistor effectively replace the removed OSD ground resistor and become the new R2 of the OSD RGB voltage divider.

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Oh, I mean you need to find the schematic or build your own by inspecting the chassis. It's part of the task. If you do that I'm willing to guide you.

HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

Mark can you please check if i can OSD mux that one or its not needed at all? https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/ ... 163s-1282/
Was busy replacing some capacitors on that board, but now its time to mod it.
Last edited by HellRazor on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
comp1demon

Post by comp1demon »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Oh, I mean you need to find the schematic or build your own by inspecting the chassis. It's part of the task. If you do that I'm willing to guide you.
Well the TV I was gonna get fell through..

SO got this one.

https://ufile.io/ylan9

It's a 27 inch Sanyo.

I found all the IC's and such.. But I can't tell if it is doable for RGB mod.

This look like the spot???
https://paste.pics/d3b5aa02d2393db3b40439853b425afb
boogiemanspud

Post by boogiemanspud »

EDIT: I found an old post where I was having this issue. Apparently when nothing is inserted, the input is grounded out. I still don't know how to wire this, so I guess I'll just use a dummy rca plug. It's not the end of the world :D

Guys, I am at a loss. I'm sure it's because I'm tired so I'm not going to mess with this anymore tonight.

If you have an auto sensing rca jack (green one on component if it matters) what makes it let the signal through? I've probed around with a continuity meter but this thing has me confused as I can get.

I previously had this working 6 months or so ago but had to de solder the sync wire so I forget what I did back then. There are 3 contacts/pins on the green component jack and sync goes to pin/contact 1 (left)

We are talking the green component jack only here as I used it for sync. With no RCA jack inserted, pin 1 (left) has continuity to pin 2 (middle) and to pin 3 (right). Pin 2 and 3 also have continuity. In other words all pins have continuity to each other with no jack inserted. At this point with no jack inserted I can't get sync from pin/contact 1, just a rolling picture. If I insert an rca jack (hooked to nothing) I get perfect sync from pin 1. With the RCA inserted Pin 1 and 3 have continuity, but NO continuity between 1 and 2, and NO continuity between 2 and 3.

I know I had this working so I didn't have to put a dummy rca end into the jack before. Does anyone have any ideas what the heck I did to get this working before? I imagine this is something stupidly simple but again, I'm tired and this just isn't making sense at this point.