What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Vanguard

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Vanguard »

Blinge wrote:If I swap out the beast, who isn't all that useful really, for a Hexer.. Will my team work with two up front?
Yup! LP/MGH is perfectly solid. You should probably max out your protector's back guard with that setup.
Blinge wrote:And will Dampen take care of that frickin' Golem ?
It'll destroy his defenses. Dampen alters the target's damage resistances (cut, pierce, bash, fire, ice, and lightning) so that it takes at least 120% damage from all of them. If they already took 120% or more then it does nothing. With dampen golem will take about two and a half times as much physical damage as you're currently doing but it won't make him any weaker against elemental damage. Since your team is pretty much all physical it should help a lot. I don't think a hexer has a way to cancel his regeneration but hopefully the extra damage will be enough.

Hexers also have a skill called frailty that reduces defense by a set amount but iirc it won't stack with dampen. If the enemy is weak or neutral to your damage go with frailty, if they're resistant go with dampen. If you don't know, dampen is the safer bet, and you can save skill points and ignore frailty if you want. Max out sapping, which will reduce all enemies' attack power by 20%. Against golem specifically, it will also cancel rocksoul. That should make up for the defense you're losing by trading a beast for a hexer. You can cast leaden to slow golem down and see if it makes your medic faster than him, which will help a lot. I believe some of golem's buffs will cancel your debuffs but just recast if that happens. If the golem does have a defense buff that dampen can't cancel, try putting one point in frailty and see if that cancels it. The nice thing about these debuffs is that, unlike conditions, they work 100% of the time.

One of the hexer's most interesting skills is revenge. It deals "almighty" damage (nothing resists it, nothing is weak against it) based on how much HP the hexer is missing. If you load your hexer with health enhancing equipment and deliberately bring them near death it can easily deal 4 digit damage. The downside is your hexer will die in one hit and since they're slow, dedicated revenge hexers have an unfortunate tendency to go down before firing a shot. After you get a polar rod for your medic, get a second one for your hexer. Even if you don't dedicate your hexer to revenge, it's worth having around for times when your health naturally falls low and for when you already have three curses on the enemy.
Blinge wrote:What's that protector cheese method?
The protector's force skill makes your party invincible for one turn. There's a late game consumable called axcela II that fills up 50% of an ally's force meter. So your protector uses painless at the start of the turn, then two of your teammates feed them axcela IIs and your other two team members attack. Repeat that every turn until you win. A full inventory of axcela IIs you'll get 30 turns of invincibility which is enough time to beat anything. It synergizes especially well with revenge hexers. To a lesser extent you can pull the strategy off with a gunner or dark hunter instead of a protector, but neither is quite as reliable. The gunner needs to be faster than the enemy for it to work. The dark hunter's force skill won't stop certain attacks, notably including the true last boss's ultimate attack, and it will outright backfire against the dreaded muckdiles.

Regular axcelas should already be available, and while they're not as useful in battle, you can use a bunch of them before the boss fight to get an advantage. A free turn of invincibility from your protector, another from your gunner, and a one-time full party revive + heal from your medic should help a lot.
Blinge wrote:I've already started levelling a hexer. Haven't bothered to run the clock to bring bosses back yet, seems absurd.
It was really dumb of them to remove xp gain from FOEs in this game.

I doubt i'll play Etrian 3 for years because this has burned me.
Yeah, removing FOE experience was stupid. Farming bosses seems silly but I don't mind it. It's easy to get your team trained up fast and it's the best way to make money. I like to retire my team at 70 and finish at 71 since boss farming is so efficient.

There are honestly a lot of frustrating things about 2, though. For me the worst part is how vague the side quests are about what you need to do and where you need to go. I wouldn't hesitate to look up a solution at the first sign of trouble. Another issue is how many enemies are nearly immune to physical or elemental damage, which can shut down certain team builds for no real reason. A hexer with dampen solves that just fine though. Remember those awful pumpkins that don't seem to take damage from anything? Cast dampen and they go down like they're random encounters. On that note, the class balance is a problem. If you're running RDPWH then it's smooth sailing the whole way through. If you're running something like LBMSA then you'll need to overlevel to win against anything.

The later games improve on all of those flaws. It's easy to make a bad team in 3 but it's because of the sheer complexity of the subclassing system. None of the classes are outright bad (buccaneer is the only one that comes close imo). 4 and 5 have idiot-proofed the classes to the point where pretty much anything will work.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Been revisiting Odama.
I don't think.. I've ever finished it??
I love it so much, but then up hating it so much--it's so difficult to control at times, it drives me away.
I really want to get to the spider-man level again.
I'd love a reboot of this with more forgiving controls/commands a cleaned up UI/system that just brings it up to date.

Anyway, I got to write a guest editorial on GamesIndustry.biz, so I was excited to 'reintroduce' this wackiness to younger gamers that missed it.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... anks-odama
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Marc

Post by Marc »

More LttP. The dungeons are getting really devious, they’re almost frustratingly obtuse on occasion, until the light bulb moment arrives, at which point I can only laugh in admiration at how easily the devs are messing with you. I couldn’t go as far as to call it flawless as I’m not overly impressed with the ‘combat’, to me it’s something that became far more kinetic and fun in the 3D titles I’ve played, and the constant item switching is a bit annoying, but otherwise it’s fantastic. Very happy I revisited this.

Decided to pick up Ages Sonic, purely because I want M2 to keep producing more of these. Port-wise, the Ages’ ‘vintage’ screen option is about as close to replicating the look of a bog-standard CRT as I’ve seen, (although the JT Data East ports have some nice options as well), but more importantly I can see with one button press what the screen will look like once I change something – whereas the Capcom BEU games make me faff around in a nest of menu’s. It still looks the business – I much prefer the clean and uncluttered look of this in comparison to the sequels, and the soundtrack is an absolute nostalgia overload. Which, I only realised last night, I’m completely used to hearing in 50hz even though I must have played Sonic since its MD release? To play… it’s great if you know the levels, and a frustrating stop/start experience if you don’t. I could have sworn the original scrolled the screen with up and down – either my memory is way off or I experienced some odd sort of bug as it certainly wasn’t doing last night, leading to the odd leap of faith. I guess it’s telling that, despite thinking in the back of my mind that I really should be playing something else, I completed the first two zones and intend to carry on with it tonight. That bonus level is a pain in the ass though, and the water levels have just popped back into my head – I hated those first time around and have even less patience now.

Nitro Ball turns out to be a good laugh – not quite as great as Mercs or Total Carnage, but the pinball element adds a fun twist to scoring, well worth the seven quid. Picked up Caveman Ninja as well, man I don’t remember that one being as clunky as it is. Just all a bit unrefined and odd mechanically, like a lot of Data East’s output actually. Getting to the good stuff now though - Two Crude/Crudebusters is out tomorrow, here's hoping for some Boogie Wings, Kung-Fu Master and the twin-stick Midnight Resistance I've been wishing for forever.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Vanguard wrote:There are honestly a lot of frustrating things about 2, though. For me the worst part is how vague the side quests are about what you need to do and where you need to go. I wouldn't hesitate to look up a solution at the first sign of trouble.

Remember those awful pumpkins that don't seem to take damage from anything? Cast dampen and they go down like they're random encounters.
Yeah I have been doing that tbh. One quest has driven me nuts, I need to get more of -something- I think. Drops from a little robot dude called Defender. Except I can't find them, I think they're the random encounter, not the FOE variant. All the sparse guides online say floors 24-5. Well I haven't found ONE ffs. Giving up on this quest.
Respecced the medic a bit but now he can't heal petrification so I'm currently kinda fucked trying to get back home. Forgot the warp wire, AGAIN.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Usually when you can't seem to find an enemy the problem is that you're in the wrong place. Even on the same floor, different areas have different random encounters.

Those times when you forget to buy warp wire are the most fun parts of these games.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Fired up Sonic 3 Complete [Genesis] for the first time in a while.
Man, I really forgot how fucking shit Carnival Night act 2 was. It's a long, directionless mess where you're really likely to die simply because Sonic 3's collision handling is decidedly unreliable and you ended up in between a crusher that was opening, rather than closing.

in fact, now that I'm playing S3&K again, I'm finding myself less annoyed with the levels and more annoyed with how Sonic constantly almost just fucking dies from weird "holy shit I almost got pushed between those blocks that I otherwise couldn't fit in between" shit
got grabbed by a spinner and hit by one of those flying sharks in Hydrocity, got knocked off, and then shot forward like the spinner launched me
there are a bunch of times where Sonic just stops out of the blue because he was going too fast on a slope depending on whether you're providing forward input or just momentum coasting

oh, and the stage design in Knuckles' sections is kinda really ass, it's just "let's add more spikes and have you glide over them"
CNZ 1 and 2 are absurdly short for him, and the end of CNZ 1 is a little obnoxious because of his low jump making it really annoying to dodge the boss's saw blade. Did it as Sonic and had like zero issue.

Also, Outrun [Genesis].
I'm doing bad. 5+ minute times. Shit hurts, but I guess that's what I get for not having played in some time.
Like, I'm reaching the end, but that's just because I'm playing on defaults.
was going to hit all five endings today, but I lost focus and ended up hitting the same ending twice because I'm a dumdum
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Eew OutRun MegaDrive... what a horrible, horrible port. I actually much preferred the PCE version of that.

I downloaded Knight Terrors for Switch. It's a 2-button auto-scroller, much like any other you've played.
BUT! There are some nice unlocks, new weapons and modes, and the graphics are an absolutely gorgeous riff on the chunky multi-colour style the Spectrum occasionally pulled off on titles like Savage and R-Type.

Every portable device should have a simple auto-scroller for playing on the bog, this is mine.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Still playing FOTNS PL. I underestimated how long 100% this game would take.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Marc wrote:Eew OutRun MegaDrive... what a horrible, horrible port. I actually much preferred the PCE version of that.
People keep saying this, but they're just flat wrong. Outrun on PCE looks worse, sounds worse [buzzzzzzz], and does awful garbage like flickering the road when it has to split. It's a downgrade on every level, and I'm not sure which port you might be referring to instead.
Outrun on Genesis is surprisingly accurate to arcade in terms of layout, visuals, and control.

kinda wish it had the international course layout instead of the JP one, but oh well
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Steamflogger Boss

Outrun on Saturn or Switch is probably the best bet for a console release. All of them are plenty playable though.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Yeah. Admittedly, there's really no real reason to not just play a more recent release. I've got Cannonball on this machine, Outrun on Saturn, Outrun on 3DS, etc, etc.
but I still like the MD version a bunch
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

null1024 wrote:
Marc wrote: Outrun on PCE looks worse, sounds worse l
But it does offer analog steering and acceleration with the correct controller.
As does the Mark III version offer analog steering.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Mmm OutRun. Growing up I put many hours into the SMS version.

When OutRun Online Arcade came out I got back into it. Then discovered that was SP selection of tracks (HD though!). Picked up 2 for the PS 2 and thought it was awesome having both courses but graphics not quite as good. Then I bought OutRun 2 for the OG Xbox (HD!).

I would love the import PS 2 version of SP - but that shit is stupid expensive.

They all play wonderfully. I probably play the PS 2 version more, but the OG Xbox version gets a fair amount of play as well. It looks amazing.

--

Wasteland 2

Enjoying my time with this one a lot. Bumped the difficulty up to normal and then tangled with three huge cuddly robots with giant razors for legs and lasers for eyes and a mouth. Everyone lived (some surgery was required), but only because I was packing a serious amount of explosives.

I like how this game doesn't hold your hand at all.
Last edited by Stevens on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lord, I have come for you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Thanks for the tips Vanguard.
lvl 50ish hexer hiding in the back throwing out Dampen and Frailty.
dmg dealers using Smite, Brawn and Ricochet.
Golem went down like a sack of shit.

but not before taking out my Hexer and robbing her of much needed xp.
Marc

Post by Marc »

null1024 wrote:
Marc wrote:Eew OutRun MegaDrive... what a horrible, horrible port. I actually much preferred the PCE version of that.
People keep saying this, but they're just flat wrong. Outrun on PCE looks worse, sounds worse [buzzzzzzz], and does awful garbage like flickering the road when it has to split. It's a downgrade on every level, and I'm not sure which port you might be referring to instead.
Outrun on Genesis is surprisingly accurate to arcade in terms of layout, visuals, and control.

kinda wish it had the international course layout instead of the JP one, but oh well
From memory, despite the wonky road transitions, I thought the sprite-scaling looked more like the coin-op, the colours were more accurate, and I liked the soundtrack. Also the lack of difficulty on the MD - I remember spending some £50.00 on it and blowing through every route in an hours or two, and I wasn't that hot at the arcade version.
tnc

Post by tnc »

So what do you guys think about Resident Evil 2? Is it worth the price?
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yes, it's amazing. A real return to survival horror, not pop-out jumpscare nonsense that populates Steam, spawned from everyone's sicko infatuation with a Kojima demo.

Whoa! Tangent there. But seriously, it's so good. I dropped the fat stacks on the Collector's edition and feel like I got a bargain. It's all atmosphere and making your items count. It's faithful but stands as its own entity, like a good remake should. The character animation and voicework adds some real life into the characters. It's a dream come true for this dude.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

drauch wrote:It's faithful but stands as its own entity, like a good remake should.
awesome. will be picking it up (I worship OG RE 2)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Stevens wrote:I would love the import PS 2 version of SP - but that shit is stupid expensive.
I purchased a physical copy of Outrun 2006 for PC not long ago and it wasn't super expensive. It's the best way to play Outrun 2006 nowadays, especially with the fanpatch "Outrun 2 FXT" which adds additional graphic modes (built in support for playing Windowed), vastly better steering wheel support (the standard game has a massive deadzone with wheels for some reason, but is fine with analog sticks), and a lot of extras to the Outrun 2SP arcade mode. The only issues with the game are a weird bug where the sun does not appear unless you edit game files (due to a file being misnamed/misplaced, it is an easy fix), and a bug where if you see a pegasus in a mid-stage transition the sound effect for the pegasus loops constantly (which is fixable by quickly pausing and unpausing).

I also own Outrun 2 for Xbox. It has a few emulation issues on the XB360 but is decently playable and is worth owning for the bonus tracks from Scud Race and Daytona USA. It is a shame those did not make it into Outrun 2006 as they are amazingly fun.
Marc wrote:Also the lack of difficulty on the MD - I remember spending some £50.00 on it and blowing through every route in an hours or two, and I wasn't that hot at the arcade version.
I think the defaults on the MD/Genesis version are intentionally made fairly forgiving so as to be easier than the arcade version? But I remember you can set it to be harder if you want. The arcade version isn't that bad on default settings either mind you (as long as you don't have a serious crash and maintain a decent speed you'll get a 1cc, traffic isn't that aggressive).

The worst version I've played so far I can think of is the one for the Commodore 64. It was actually the one I grew up with that got me hooked on Outrun, as the music for it is AMAZING, and it actually controls quite smoothly, but the way stage transitions are handled is not faithful at all, and traffic, is insanely difficult to avoid compared to other versions where you have relatively more leeway. The time you have to complete the harder routes seems very unforgiving too even compared to the arcade version, and I've never completed the C, D, or E routes.
tnc

Post by tnc »

drauch wrote:Yes, it's amazing. A real return to survival horror, not pop-out jumpscare nonsense that populates Steam, spawned from everyone's sicko infatuation with a Kojima demo.

Whoa! Tangent there. But seriously, it's so good. I dropped the fat stacks on the Collector's edition and feel like I got a bargain. It's all atmosphere and making your items count. It's faithful but stands as its own entity, like a good remake should. The character animation and voicework adds some real life into the characters. It's a dream come true for this dude.
Sounds great! Thank you.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

drauch wrote:Yes, it's amazing. A real return to survival horror, not pop-out jumpscare nonsense that populates Steam, spawned from everyone's sicko infatuation with a Kojima demo.
I'm playing through now. As the meme goes, Mr. X gon give it to me. And give it he has. Damn they really took the "Jack Baker stalking" segments from RE7 (a game I love) to a new level. That asshole chases you EVERYWHERE in the police station. Especially in the B route (according to my older bro - I'm working through Claire A ATM and just made it to the sewers). I hide in a safe room until I don't hear those heavy boots - at least until my inevitable 3rd playthrough where I'm exploiting his AI and making him my bitch, but until then!

I started on hardcore. Any RE without those ink ribbons is less than RE, man! Every zombie has the chance of taking a whole clip - it's really tense because you cannot rely on headshots or autosaves to get you out of a jam. But so worth it for the running for dear life to the next safe room.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
I purchased a physical copy of Outrun 2006 for PC not long ago and it wasn't super expensive. It's the best way to play Outrun 2006 nowadays, especially with the fanpatch "Outrun 2 FXT"

I also own Outrun 2 for Xbox. It has a few emulation issues on the XB360 but is decently playable and is worth owning for the bonus tracks from Scud Race and Daytona USA. It is a shame those did not make it into Outrun 2006 as they are amazingly fun.
I have a copy of this sitting in my Google Drive and forgot all about it. I would buy it again if given the opportunity though. like the 360 version the Steam version has also been taken down:(
My lord, I have come for you.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Budget Polish print of OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast (basically the same build as any other release, therefore it still needs all the fixes) is a bit pricier now than I recall paying for mine, but still not really rare. Bound to increase in "wantedness", though, unless Sega re-buys Ferrari licence, I'm afraid.

Reportedly, playing without physical disc in drive prevents personal scores earned from being recorded on scoreboards (not the career progress or unlockables, just the scores). If so, that's one reason to keep a copy even if you don't care about "collector's item" value.

Would buy the original Xbox for those exclusive OutRun 2 tracks alone at this point, but I see no room for a new toy of such a size in my life right now.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Stevens wrote:I would love the import PS 2 version of SP - but that shit is stupid expensive.
I purchased a physical copy of Outrun 2006 for PC not long ago and it wasn't super expensive. It's the best way to play Outrun 2006 nowadays, especially with the fanpatch "Outrun 2 FXT" which adds additional graphic modes (built in support for playing Windowed), vastly better steering wheel support (the standard game has a massive deadzone with wheels for some reason, but is fine with analog sticks), and a lot of extras to the Outrun 2SP arcade mode. The only issues with the game are a weird bug where the sun does not appear unless you edit game files (due to a file being misnamed/misplaced, it is an easy fix), and a bug where if you see a pegasus in a mid-stage transition the sound effect for the pegasus loops constantly (which is fixable by quickly pausing and unpausing).

Marc wrote:Also the lack of difficulty on the MD - I remember spending some £50.00 on it and blowing through every route in an hours or two, and I wasn't that hot at the arcade version.
I think the defaults on the MD/Genesis version are intentionally made fairly forgiving so as to be easier than the arcade version? But I remember you can set it to be harder if you want. The arcade version isn't that bad on default settings either mind you (as long as you don't have a serious crash and maintain a decent speed you'll get a 1cc, traffic isn't that aggressive).

The worst version I've played so far I can think of is the one for the Commodore 64. It was actually the one I grew up with that got me hooked on Outrun, as the music for it is AMAZING, and it actually controls quite smoothly, but the way stage transitions are handled is not faithful at all, and traffic, is insanely difficult to avoid compared to other versions where you have relatively more leeway. The time you have to complete the harder routes seems very unforgiving too even compared to the arcade version, and I've never completed the C, D, or E routes.
Haha yes, I remember the C64 version very well. The soundtrack is great, or at least the two tracks - I think Passing Breeze was absent. The road didn't transition at all (Cassette version at least - the disk drive was too expensive here to ever really take off), it was just a single load of 5 tracks, with five different routes on the cassette.

The Spectrum version was the most interesting of the bunch, one of my first experiences of corruption in the video game industry. The ads of the time showed a conversion that looked very impressive apart from the (expected) monochrome - large, distinctive road markings and hugely detailed traffic that looked a lot more impressive than Speccy racers of the time. The end result looked nothing like those screen shots at all, that game had never existed, they were mocked up purely for the ads.

The Amiga version pulled a similar trick, though that was more sleight of hand than lies. The box showed the start line, and it looked JUST like the arcade. I bought it on the basis of that screen shot, which was accurate in the it showed the Amiga's loading screen. When the game started, the reality was very different.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

N'aww.

My Majora 3-day challenge ended in the moonslam
I was doomed from the start! I didn't get the song of storms and apparently you can only get it on night of the first!

A smart man would've replayed the game casually first to re-acquaint himself with, well, everything.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Is that even possible without abusing glitches?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It is on the N64 version.

The biggest issue is that you must speak to Romani before 6pm Day one, or you can't get Epona, thus you're locked out of Great Bay and Ikana canyon.

Which means you have to open Woodfall Temple, get the bow.
Do everything in Snowhead to open that temple, get goron mask etc.
Get fire arrows, do the powder keg exam, then blow up the boulder in Milk Road to reach Romani.
ryu

Post by ryu »

that sounds near impossible without perfect execution

but then I haven't played the game in years so maybe it's more doable than I imagine
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

After a couple of attempts I made it to Romani with an hour to spare.
The real issue is the bloody deku palace grounds. fall down once and you may as well restart.

I failed the rest of the challenge because I never knew the song of storms is only obtainable on first day (no hints in the game either!)
Also I lost so much time in the Snowhead temple because i've forgotten the rest of the game haha.
Also it's advisable to grab two empty bottles for when you're ferrying eggs around in Great Bay, but that means you have to do the goron & beaver races!

There's apparently some playthrough video online somewhere of someone finishing the whole shebang by 2nd night.
Steamflogger Boss

I finished FOTNS Paradise Lost last night. Clocked in at about 40 hours. Nice game.