Game Tengoku Coming to PS4/PC/Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FRO

Re: Game Tengoku Coming to PS4/PC

Post by FRO »

Would love to see some CAVE games on the Switch. I know, I'm probably dreaming ;)
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Do you have any numbers on how Steam is doing in Japan? Also makes me wonder if there's new demand for PC parts over there, and who is supplying them.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Finally picked this up + DLC :oops:

The two DLC characters are a lot of fun. It makes me smile to see CityConnection/Jaleco take the piss out of themselves and Jaleco's infamous track record in these recorded asides, especially with Homura Banto (cheeky name :wink: ) explaining how his series showed how Jaleco really 'thought outside the box' when it came to making janky sports games. After listening to that, seeing his charge attack brought it all together.

Is it my eyes, or is there a bilinear filter over some game modes? I'm still trying to get everything to look good on PC. Using the new characters (or old ones) in the Arcade+ is plenty fun, as is revisiting the classic console mode with a translated story.

The base game offered is a great package, and a much-needed antidote to Saturn gouging. I don't know of any differences between this arcade version and the original yet (the game itself says "almost exactly how it was", ha ha), but it is great to have a game offers pretty close to how I remember the Saturn port, plus new bells/whistles.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Wasn't this getting a physical release in the USA? I see LRG tweeted about it some time ago, strangely silent since then.
Elsewhere there is rumor that the physical release was not going to include an actual game but rather just bonus stuff and digital download.
What's up?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Do you have any numbers on how Steam is doing in Japan? Also makes me wonder if there's new demand for PC parts over there, and who is supplying them.
PC is really not a big deal in Japan, which is odd considering how massive the doujin scene is...
Koa Zo wrote:Wasn't this getting a physical release in the USA? I see LRG tweeted about it some time ago, strangely silent since then.
Elsewhere there is rumor that the physical release was not going to include an actual game but rather just bonus stuff and digital download.
What's up?
Can't imagine them doing a physical release without the game. What I would be worried about is the manual quality, since they didn't bother fixing any of Caladrius PS4's Engrish manual.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

FRO wrote:Would love to see some CAVE games on the Switch. I know, I'm probably dreaming ;)
You and me both!
OmegaFlareX wrote:Do you have any numbers on how Steam is doing in Japan?
None that I can share!
EmperorIng wrote:The two DLC characters are a lot of fun. It makes me smile to see CityConnection/Jaleco take the piss out of themselves
I enjoyed that element too. There's even a 'mistake' when City Connection's name is announced (it's random, so you'll need to boot the game a few times to catch it).
EmperorIng wrote:Is it my eyes, or is there a bilinear filter over some game modes?
You can try switching the Screen options between Dot by Dot and stretch, but I don't think filtering was used this time.
Koa Zo wrote:Wasn't this getting a physical release in the USA?
Yes, and it still is, both standard (game disc only) and the 'Paradise Box' (disc + lots of extras).
Details here: https://gameparadise2017.com/en/products.html
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Bullet Heaven review is up.

One error I noticed: the 40-50K high-value eggplants do NOT appear at random. They show up when you destroy any target that normally drops a "standard" eggplant when you've built up your chain to 10,000, so the trick is to reveal a couple of "regular" eggplants, collect them in succession to build the chain, then quickly destroy as many other targets as you can before the chain runs out and the value resets.

By the way, has a final price not yet been set for the physical editions, or am I overlooking it?
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

BulletMagnet wrote:Bullet Heaven review is up.

One error I noticed: the 40-50K high-value eggplants do NOT appear at random. They show up when you destroy any target that normally drops a "standard" eggplant when you've built up your chain to 10,000, so the trick is to reveal a couple of "regular" eggplants, collect them in succession to build the chain, then quickly destroy as many other targets as you can before the chain runs out and the value resets.

By the way, has a final price not yet been set for the physical editions, or am I overlooking it?
Eggplants > exactly!
Trivia: The medium size bonus items are worth 48050 points due to the phonetic pronounciation of that number being close to 'Jaleco' in Japanese.

Pricing > not announced yet; that will be alongisde the date and final reveal of everything that's included with both editions.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

James_Degica wrote: Trivia: The medium size bonus items are worth 48050 points due to the phonetic pronounciation of that number being close to 'Jaleco' in Japanese.
???

Phonetic pronounciation in which language ?

48050 = yonmanhachisengojuu

Looks quite different than Jaleco. Or I am missing something ?

Someone better learned in Japanese maybe could tell us how it can be spelled another way ?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

plasticxo wrote:
James_Degica wrote: Trivia: The medium size bonus items are worth 48050 points due to the phonetic pronounciation of that number being close to 'Jaleco' in Japanese.
???

Someone better learned in Japanese maybe could tell us how it can be spelled another way ?
That one is a bit cryptic. I'm guessing it's something along the following lines:

4 = し
8 = や
0 = れい
5 = ご

しやれいご > じゃれ(い)こ > じゃれこ (Jaleco)
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Plasmo wrote:
plasticxo wrote: ???
That one is a bit cryptic. I'm guessing it's something along the following lines:

4 = し
8 = や
0 = れい
5 = ご

Sounds right to me.
I'd guess the last zero is either ignored or take as 'oh'.
Japanese is often pretty 'flexible' with phonetics for numbers when someone needs them to be read in a certain way :)
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

Plasmo wrote:
plasticxo wrote:
???

4 = し
8 = や
0 = れい
5 = ご

You got it right ! I didn't think of reading each number separately !
I did not not that 8 could be pronounced ya. Maybe some a shorter form of ha(chi) ?

This one is really geeky.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

I'm still really confused about what content is exclusive to what version. I bought the game on PSN before Degica intended for people to buy it (whoops) and then didn't touch it after hearing about the impending Special update. Is there a way for me to get the Tatsujin ship? Or do I need to wait for the LRG special edition and rebuy the game? I don't really like to support LRG but I also don't want to miss out on actual game content either. All the different physical and digital versions have made this pretty confusing.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I got this version - https://www.play-asia.com/game-tengoku- ... /13/70c9e5

Tatsujin ship came as a DLC code.

I paid like half that price though so no idea what's going on with Play Asia.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BulletMagnet wrote:Bullet Heaven review is up.

I don't know why, but I find the part where Yuki tries to greet the player in English pretty funny.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

DoomsDave wrote:I got this version - https://www.play-asia.com/game-tengoku- ... /13/70c9e5

Tatsujin ship came as a DLC code.

I paid like half that price though so no idea what's going on with Play Asia.
Glad to hear it comes with the code. It looks like Play-Asia actually has THREE versions of the game, including a special edition from 2017 which is more expensive than the newer special edition (and the new one seems to come with way more stuff). I had no idea there were two special editions in Japan.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Knightmare wrote:I'm still really confused about what content is exclusive to what version. I bought the game on PSN before Degica intended for people to buy it (whoops) and then didn't touch it after hearing about the impending Special update. Is there a way for me to get the Tatsujin ship? Or do I need to wait for the LRG special edition and rebuy the game? I don't really like to support LRG but I also don't want to miss out on actual game content either. All the different physical and digital versions have made this pretty confusing.
We'll be able to make an announcement about this soon alongside the long-awaited PS4 physical release.
I can't really comment on the Japanese release as that's not our product, but the international release will be a little different (in part to compensate for the wait!).
xxx1993 wrote:I don't know why, but I find the part where Yuki tries to greet the player in English pretty funny.
We had some extra voice recorded especially for the international release, so we finally have our company name voiced.
And if you listen to the company names a few times, there's a little Easter egg hidden in there too...
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Really? Where can I hear this Easter Egg, then?
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

xxx1993 wrote:Really? Where can I hear this Easter Egg, then?
Boot the game and pay attention to the voice during the City Connection logo...
I'm not sure how often it happens, but I've heard it several times now.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

The annoucement is finally out there.
On Twitter for those that use it:
https://twitter.com/DegicaGames/status/ ... 1190451200

And also on the official home page here:
https://gameparadise2017.com/en/products.html
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

When is the Tatsujin ship supposed to come out again? Or is that already out?
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

From what I understand, the tatsujin ship is only included in the premium box set. It could possibly be added to the standard edition later. No idea if that will ever happen though. Perhaps James Degica could shed more light on this.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

So I'm guessing that means you can't get the Tatsujin ship on PC?
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

DietSoap wrote:So I'm guessing that means you can't get the Tatsujin ship on PC?
> the tatsujin ship is only included in the premium box set
Correct.
So you can't get Tatsujin on PC yet.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'll have to check it out when I play the game, then.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Now that is how you do a Ltd Edition - very nice.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Marc wrote:Now that is how you do a Ltd Edition - very nice.
For real!

Now is it just me, or did Limited Run Games fuck up this release? It isn't advertised anywhere on their website. The only trace of it is in the February 1st Mega Bundle. I've tried every link and can not find the listing for the regular or limited release. If not for seeing James post yesterday I would have never known this was going up for sale.
I was able to purchase it by doing a google search for "Limited Run Game Tengoku", that's the only way I could find a listing for the game.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Did you get the regular edition or the premium?

I was on the fence on thr purchase because I already bought both Japanese releases

What got me interested was the 4 DLC on disc in the premium version

The extras helped as well so I went for it
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Shelcoof wrote:Did you get the regular edition or the premium?

I was on the fence on thr purchase because I already bought both Japanese releases

What got me interested was the 4 DLC on disc in the premium version

The extras helped as well so I went for it
I did manage to get the Premium version. I'm certainly curious to watch the subbed video, Clarice produced OST's are always a treat, and those Jaleco cards are pretty neat, and who doesn't love an artbook? Having that Tatsujin ship on the disc is a true limited edition and something that will definitely be cool to always have access to.

It was purely luck that I was able to get online at 10am, I'd typically not have a break at work then, it just so happened that the 31st was a major deadline, so there was a bit of a lull on Friday morning. Otherwise there would have been no way for me to order as I was in the mountains that evening and didn't have internet reception at 6:00.

Of course these sold out licketly-split, so the point about LRG not advertising this release on their website is moot, but could they have sold a couple thousand more if they'd been on the ball a bit more?