Psyvariar Delta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FlyingFinn

Re: Psyvariar Delta

Post by FlyingFinn »

I thought I would be getting this for PS4 but it is really difficult not to buy this from Steam too. :D

Any new information yet when ps4 version arrives?

Steam would make much more sense but I have right now my ps4 connected to video projector and pc to monitor, and I just want to enjoy psyvariar on big screen.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Just noticed they added a huge visual indicator for your energy gauge, it's the background on both sides of the screen, probably new for the Steam version.
Maybe they read this forum? Anyway that's my only complaint out of the way, see you on the scoreboards.
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

Does it have auto-roll button? I was spoiled with it in PS2 version and do not enjoy arcade one so much because lack of it.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9989 ... iar_Delta/
Game is currently available on Steam and has a -20% release week discount
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
ciox

Post by ciox »

FlyingFinn wrote:Does it have auto-roll button? I was spoiled with it in PS2 version and do not enjoy arcade one so much because lack of it.
Yes, it's there and it works just like in the PS2 version.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Wooo!

A few impressions:

1) Only played about 40 minutes but it seems to run well. Feels right to me.
2) Had an absolute mare with the controls. When I first booted it up the vertical directions were flipped. Eventually fixed it but not sure how.
3) Seems to only support 1280x720 resolution. No way to select a 4:3 mode.
4) Delta mode looks like it could be very fun, especially if, like me, you've been hankering after Psyvariar 3 for a while. Also playing with Revision mechanics in Medium Unit and vice-versa means there's a lot more to peruse - was pleased to see that the level requirements for Revision are lowered when playing with the Medium Unit ship, so you can actually complete the game. Tried the Cybattler ship but my controls weren't configured properly so will have to give it another go.

So typical low quality of life Japanese small developer PC port, hopefully we'll get a little update to improve that, but once you get into the actual games it's fine.
dannycheeto

Post by dannycheeto »

Weak Boson wrote:3) Seems to only support 1280x720 resolution. No way to select a 4:3 mode.
As i use a 4:3 this was enough to make me refund it as a tiny lettorbox view with massive borders is no fun and no resolution options? what a sloppy port.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Can anyone elucidate on the differences between Delta and Revision?

Revision is a blast. This game feels like it has a lot of life in it - a lot of tricks to discover as to how to get better and better buzz chains.
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

I wanted to buy it but unfortunately my HD620 grpahics card was way too slow on this. Pity. Had to ask for refund.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Btw the super duper energy gauge is enabled with the "extra gauge disp" option in Ex Options.

dannycheeto wrote:
Weak Boson wrote:3) Seems to only support 1280x720 resolution. No way to select a 4:3 mode.
As i use a 4:3 this was enough to make me refund it as a tiny lettorbox view with massive borders is no fun and no resolution options? what a sloppy port.
You can choose from an array of 16:9 resolutions, there's just no support for 4:3 or 16:10 resolutions.
EmperorIng wrote:Can anyone elucidate on the differences between Delta and Revision?
Remixed enemies during the stages and some background shader effects is all I've noticed, red shader during Earth, blue shader during Valley...
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Delta bosses appear to be the same as in Revision, but the stages are essentially completely different.

I wish they'd switched around which stages have the highest level requirements. One of the problems with the original game is that, unless you're score attacking individual stages, many stages go neglected, because why would you play stage 2-A, B or C when stage 2-D is worth the most points. For example, it would have been really cool if they changed 2-D from being the Volcano stage to being (for example) the Desert stage for a bit of variety, and even even cooler if the boss was different.

Guess we'll have to wait for Epsilon mode DLC for that !

The new stages are cool though, I already have seen some great moments.

You know before I said I would be happy with just a straight port of revision but now that I've got a taste of something new my mind is awash with the possibilities !!
ciox wrote: You can choose from an array of 16:9 resolutions, there's just no support for 4:3 or 16:10 resolutions.
Thanks for clarifying this. My monitor is about as old as the original games...
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Make sure to use a frame limiter on the PC version if you're using a 144 Hz monitor, or the game will run at more than double speed.
I did have that flipped vertical control problem at first.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Weak Boson wrote:Delta bosses appear to be the same as in Revision, but the stages are essentially completely different.

I wish they'd switched around which stages have the highest level requirements. One of the problems with the original game is that, unless you're score attacking individual stages, many stages go neglected, because why would you play stage 2-A, B or C when stage 2-D is worth the most points. For example, it would have been really cool if they changed 2-D from being the Volcano stage to being (for example) the Desert stage for a bit of variety, and even even cooler if the boss was different.

Guess we'll have to wait for Epsilon mode DLC for that !

The new stages are cool though, I already have seen some great moments.

You know before I said I would be happy with just a straight port of revision but now that I've got a taste of something new my mind is awash with the possibilities !!
ciox wrote: You can choose from an array of 16:9 resolutions, there's just no support for 4:3 or 16:10 resolutions.
Thanks for clarifying this. My monitor is about as old as the original games...
You know what I too thought about the potential of remixing the levels and bosses to surprise the player, specifically the idea of fighting a boss at the end of Earth, or fighting one of the IU bosses in an open space.

The former would be especially cool because as far as I can tell MR2151 made his Earth theme transition smoothly into his Boss theme, using a lot of the same samples, but they never play one after the other in the base game.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

ciox wrote: Remixed enemies during the stages and some background shader effects is all I've noticed, red shader during Earth, blue shader during Valley...
So no gameplay differences? When I play it seems as if - unlike Revision - I can only graze bullets once.

Also: is it just me or does sometimes picking Revision in the menu still not allow you to graze bullets indefinitely? Or am I doing something wrong?
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

^It depends on the ship you use. The Medium Unit ship can only graze bullets once, and this is true even if you use it in Revision or Delta mode. But, by the same token, if you use the Revision ship you can buzz bullets repeatedly, even in Medium Unit stages.

---

The online leaderboards seem to lack features. Fortunately they do filter based on ship and mode, but no information about 1CC/ player level/ stage reached and it seems you can't download replays?
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Durandal wrote:https://store.steampowered.com/app/9989 ... iar_Delta/
Game is currently available on Steam and has a -20% release week discount
Can't wait to grab this when I get home!
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

120hz monitors now supported. Quicker than I expected, seems they are monitoring feedback. Hopefully at this rate all the niggles with the port will be ironed out.

---

I'm loving playing this game again. Particularly nice to be back using the roll button. The game is still fun without it but it's obviously a lot harder, and harder to be consistent. In particular it's a lot easier to experiment with the roll button crutch, and I can already tell my attempts at X-A are getting much more sensible. That's gonna be useful experience even if I decide to go for the pure arcade-style clear.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It seems like you can't roll in place like you can (more generally speaking) in Psyvariar 2. It also seems harder to keep on rolling; I can keep it up for a few spins. However, I assume you get more buzz when you roll?

I've played a lot more of the sequel so I have to 'learn' some techniques over again. I made it to one of the X stages on one run, so I'm improving at least. I only unlocked 2-D once though. The requirements are really tough!
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

^indeed they made rolling easier in Psyvariar 2 - in that game once you start rolling you continue as long as you are moving (or holding down a direction at the edge of the screen). This is not a feature of MU or R, where you have to wiggle all the while. There may also be differences between MU and R - I remember R seeming faster but that might be just a basic ship feature rather than changing roll mechanics, I haven't got round to comparing them yet.

Playing with an arcade stick I eventually got the hang of it (although far from perfect) and I believe some honourable members have had success with a keyboard, but I'm not sure I would recommend attempting playing this way with a d-pad.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Stupid question maybe, but I can't seem to find any info on it on the store page. But does the Steam version have a auto roll function/key?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yes, you can auto-roll. I map it to the shoulder button for extra convenience. In the Cybattler ship it seems to activate a 'force field' around the mech that performs the same function, for all intents and purposes. I was secretly hoping for the mech to roll a la Psyvariar 2, but the Cybattler arrange music and the multi-directional shoot (plus saber!) are well worth it.

Other question: what are the requirements for D stages? Is it tied solely to buzz level, enemy destruction rates, or overall score?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Coming from psy2, movement here feels for me uncomfortable and wrong. Both autoroll and manual (tried on gamepad and keyboard... perhaps its much better on arcade stick? but with XIIZEAL i manual roll on kb just fine in feelings).

Cool music and bosses, though. :roll:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The big thing to get used to from Psyvariar 2 for me is that roll doesn't increase your speed. In the sequel you'd roll and zip around to collect bullets; here you need to find a good spot where bullets will converge and start rollin'.

Though it does make me feel with auto-roll there's almost never a reason not to use your normal shot, unless you need a quick speed boost to get to the other side of the screen (when you stop rolling). I'm probably missing something - too busy trying to milk them patterns. :)
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

If it's like Revision then rolling by slowly tapping autoroll should give you the speed-up version
BAD

Post by BAD »

kid aphex wrote:Awesome.
I wish someone would finally port PSYVARIAR 2... it's one of my favorites.
Agreed. Got it for both DC and XB. Always fun going back to them, and I believe the soundtrack was awesome, too!
badcp.info
qmish

Post by qmish »

Zaarock wrote:If it's like Revision then rolling by slowly tapping autoroll should give you the speed-up version

It gets a bit faster but still feels clunky, like unwilling (like ship's will against my order). Also not sure if "speed up" by that tapping is same as in ps2 version, anyone compared?

I guess I need to get used to, after all :) (but really, in psy2 control of unit feels more smooth, subjectively. Or it's like "raiden ship is slow" debate? Haha)

...hey, can you really do all stages "shotless", only by rolling and ramming? Or only on "harder" ones like Cloudbank?
ciox

Post by ciox »

I'm pretty sure the fastest way to move, in either game, is to 'flutter' with up down or left right motions towards your destination, not sure how it works but that's how it works.

Psyvariar 2 would be great if they decide to align it more with the excellent Revision, add a few more stages, more enemies to the sparse existing stages... It needs a little more work than just a Delta mode I believe.
Maybe flesh out the story that they were hinting at all along with the characters and certain cutscenes in the game, there's something there but it's just too underdeveloped to take seriously, and unlike Ikaruga there's no external unused FMV script to shed light on things.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

First time making it to Photon (on X-A). Damn, this game is so GOOD. This is about the first time I've had so much fun just milking and surviving patterns, just to see how high I can get my Buzz.

People need to throw some support towards this game both here and the scoreboards. According to the game I'm only halfway through, so I need to get a little bit better with practice before doing so. :mrgreen:
ciox

Post by ciox »

EmperorIng wrote:First time making it to Photon (on X-A). Damn, this game is so GOOD. This is about the first time I've had so much fun just milking and surviving patterns, just to see how high I can get my Buzz.

People need to throw some support towards this game both here and the scoreboards. According to the game I'm only halfway through, so I need to get a little bit better with practice before doing so. :mrgreen:
It's the best ever.

Btw the bombs in Medium Unit mode are now arcade perfect, all bullets are erased as soon as the bomb is activated..
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

So it was an simple mistake that they patched? Or did Japanese players talk to them about it? Either way, this port just got immediately better.

Is there anything else like that in Medium Unit right now?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!