Options to simplify my RGB setup (VGA to YPbPr converters)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Options to simplify my RGB setup (VGA to YPbPr converters)

Post by bobrocks95 »

I'm currently using a ton of adapters daisy-chained together to get YPbPr to my consumer Trinitron, and somewhere along the chain interference is coming in, which I finally discovered by using both of the outputs on my Extron switch.

It's a ludicrous number of adapters that I've wanted to get rid of anyway, and now it doesn't make sense to try to troubleshoot the issue when there's so many variables, and I might as well cut out 80% of the adapters out anyway.

Current setup is:
DSub cables for each console --> Extron VGA Ars 12 VGA switch --> VGA to BNC cable --> BNC to RCA adapters --> RCA to SCART adapter --> Female to Female SCART gender changer --> SCART to YPbPr converter (with a male SCART connector)

I figure what I really need is a direct VGA to component transcoder. My options there seem to be:
  • - Audio Authority 9A60A (difficult to find these days)
    - Retrotek VGACTV1 (readily available, but there were some quality concerns about fusionz SCART converter- don't think I've heard anything negative or positive about the VGA version)
    - Generic converters like Monoprice's 108668 (likely to be rebranded Chinese junk, but that can be surprisingly good sometimes)
Thoughts on these? Are there any other options available for me to simplify my setup?

EDIT: Not sure which "VGA" converters accept RGBS, other than the Retrotek which explicitly says it does.
Last edited by bobrocks95 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Hoagtech

Re: Options to simplify my RGB setup (VGA to YPbPr converter

Post by Hoagtech »

I reccomend the AA.

I bought mine for $45 3 months ago and since then they have been selling $100+

This one is reasonably priced

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Authorit ... 8225!US!-1
Copyright 1987
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hoagtech wrote:I reccomend the AA.

I bought mine for $45 3 months ago and since then they have been selling $100+

This one is reasonably priced

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Authorit ... 8225!US!-1
Surprised to see that- not a terrible price but at least less than they were new. For $45 I absolutely would have jumped on one.
maxtherabbit wrote:this is what you want

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-VGA-to-YPb ... 3763634213
If the ebay listing is correct, that only accepts RGBHV, whereas I need RGBS input. I'm also not a big fan of the fact that it's a bare PCB (though looks like the bottom might have a small layer of acrylic?) and uses microUSB for power
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm a bit confused - aren't your consoles RGBS and not VGA? Why are you looking for a VGA to component converter? Unless you're running 480p+ content to a HD CRT (which has Component in only)?

I haven't seen any mention of the Shinybow SB-2840 unless I missed it. Been using those for about two years now and has been perfect. I put a resistor in-line on the sync line to attenuate it for the consumer Shinybow (Extron's usually export too high a voltage - meant for professional equipment).

My setup is basically everything RGBS to my Sony PVM/BVM CRT's, as well as to my OSSC and Framemeister. When I run my Sony FV310 consumer TV's that's when I use the Shinybow.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm a bit confused - aren't your consoles RGBS and not VGA? Why are you looking for a VGA to component converter? Unless you're running 480p+ content to a HD CRT (which has Component in only)?

I haven't seen any mention of the Shinybow SB-2840 unless I missed it. Been using those for about two years now and has been perfect. I put a resistor in-line on the sync line to attenuate it for the consumer Shinybow (Extron's usually export too high a voltage - meant for professional equipment).

My setup is basically everything RGBS to my Sony PVM/BVM CRT's, as well as to my OSSC and Framemeister. When I run my Sony FV310 consumer TV's that's when I use the Shinybow.
None of my setup uses SCART, it's all DSub RGBS cables. I'm trying to simplify the huge adapter chain to get to the SCART input on my component converter. A DSub to YPbPr converter that accepts RGBS is the easiest solution I can think of.

EDIT: Actually looking at it, the Audio Authority doesn't accept RGBS either, does it? Unless you're using it for RGBS hoagtech.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

bobrocks95 wrote:EDIT: Actually looking at it, the Audio Authority doesn't accept RGBS either, does it? Unless you're using it for RGBS hoagtech.

Audio Authority accepts RGBS, I'm currently using one. That's been tested with a SNES Jr, Genesis, and Saturn. All those have clean sync, so I haven't tried something like PS1 that only has composite video for sync. So you may or may not need a sync separator if you use a PS1 or 2-chip SNES.

Also, I think you could simplify your current chain if you got a VGA>SCART adapter, right? So you could skip the BNC and RCA business?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

BazookaBen wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:EDIT: Actually looking at it, the Audio Authority doesn't accept RGBS either, does it? Unless you're using it for RGBS hoagtech.

Audio Authority accepts RGBS, I'm currently using one. That's been tested with a SNES Jr, Genesis, and Saturn. All those have clean sync, so I haven't tried something like PS1 that only has composite video for sync. So you may or may not need a sync separator if you use a PS1 or 2-chip SNES.
Everything's already using clean sync for the Extron switch, so that's fine- wouldn't be surprised if it did require clean sync, most VGA-related stuff does. Good to hear RGBS works though.

Just to confirm, is that with sync on the H-pin of the DSub? That's how RetroAccess does their DSub cables.
Also, I think you could simplify your current chain if you got a VGA>SCART adapter, right? So you could skip the BNC and RCA business?
That would cut out a good chunk for sure. I think when I first asked people couldn't recommend a good quality VGA to SCART cable and recommended a VGA to BNC cable instead.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

bobrocks95 wrote:None of my setup uses SCART, it's all DSub RGBS cables. I'm trying to simplify the huge adapter chain to get to the SCART input on my component converter. A DSub to YPbPr converter that accepts RGBS is the easiest solution I can think of.
I guess my real question is why would you use VGA (d-sub 15) for all your consoles when SCART (which carries audio along with RGBS in a SINGLE cable) is the defacto standard for 240p retro gaming (I'm assuming most of your consoles are older 240p ones)? That pretty much guarantees you're going to need a whole bunch of breakout cables and adapters strung together when you start to incorporate converters/transcoders (and even scalers if you're not already using those for your flatscreen) into your setup. This is exactly what you've said you don't want, and now want to get rid of.

Second to that, with a ton of people using Extron Crosspoint switchers, is BNC's for RGBS + separate audio which can likewise create it's own adapter issues since the entire industry is skewed towards SCART connectors.

So that being said, I guess I really can't comment on your setup as I don't know all the in and out intricacies of it. I hope one of the converters will take RGBS over a d-sub15 VGA plug (which isn't standard for many consumer devices) which will then let you convert that signal to YPbPr for your consumer TV – that would certainly be the easiest way to go. Maybe an arcade oriented converter (think somebody posted something similar to those) would also be an option as those guys are all about RGBS of course. **EDIT** - BazookaBen just posted that AA does take RGBS so I hope this works for you - I'll still leave the below just in case:

Anyway, don't know if the following will help you but just in case I can tell you how I do it - and it STILL involves adapters: everything is run through BNC connectors through my 32x32 Extron Crosspoint switcher. RGBS goes straight into it, and it uses a separate connector for audio. Those 5x RGBHV BNC's are extremely flexible letting me use Composite, S-Video, RGBS, RGsB, YPbPr, and VGA/RGBHV of course (I use VGA to 5x BNC dongles for RGBHV systems like Dreamcast, my OG Xbox, and Xbox 360). With the easy availability of VGA to BNC breakout dongles and cables this is essentially a VGA switch just like you have (which just happens to use BNC connectors instead).

To get that RGBS signal to YPbPr I use the most easily (and currently produced) converter which is the $75 Shinybow SB-2840 – which happens to have a SCART plug on the input side (because SCART, for consumer items using RGBS, is again the defacto standard world-wide). Besides some of the bare-board arcade devices (which I didn't want), off the top of my head I really don't know of another device which takes RGBS and converts it to YPbPr (besides the Retrotek which has had problems and doesn't do 480p+).
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BazookaBen wrote:Audio Authority accepts RGBS, I'm currently using one. That's been tested with a SNES Jr, Genesis, and Saturn. All those have clean sync, so I haven't tried something like PS1 that only has composite video for sync. So you may or may not need a sync separator if you use a PS1 or 2-chip SNES.

Don't you need to either mod the AA to run on Composite Sync instead of both Hsync and Vsync, or convert your console's signal from Composite Sync to H and V sync before sending it to an unmodded AA, for this to work?

Sending consoles' composite sync signal in a stock AA doesn't work. I know because I had one
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

bobrocks95 wrote:Just to confirm, is that with sync on the H-pin of the DSub? That's how RetroAccess does their DSub cables.
The cabling I'm currently using has c-sync running to both the H and V pins, because I vaguely remember someone saying that's how you're supposed to do it... but I'm pretty sure I've hooked it up before with sync running only to the H pin and it still worked.

So I say go with the RetroAccess cable, and worst case is that you'll have to run a piece of solder or wire from the H pin to the V pin so they get the same signal.
FinalBaton wrote:Don't you need to either mod the AA to run on Composite Sync instead of both Hsync and Vsync, or convert your console's signal from Composite Sync to H and V sync before sending it to an unmodded AA, for this to work?

Sending consoles' composite sync signal in a stock AA doesn't work. I know because I had one
Were you running c-sync or c-video?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I suspect the linuxbot item on eBay will in fact accept RGBS with TTL c-sync on the h-sync pin. I've contacted the seller to ask

As far as why use the VGA connector? Simple - because its great and scart sucks. Absolutely no problem using c-sync on them either
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

FinalBaton wrote:
But was it TTL csync? Any device with a VGA port is going to want TTL not video level
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

bobrocks95 wrote:Current setup is:
DSub cables for each console --> Extron VGA Ars 12 VGA switch --> VGA to BNC cable --> BNC to RCA adapters --> RCA to SCART adapter --> Female to Female SCART gender changer --> SCART to YPbPr converter (with a male SCART connector)
If you only ever plan on connecting RGBS sources to your switch, I would connect the switch directly to the Retrotek VGA to component converter with a standard shielded DE-15/VGA cable. For audio, you can probably pick up one of those Phoenix-to-RCA adapters and use a stereo RCA to whatever cable, depending on what your audio destination is..

If you intend to add RGBHV and/or RGsB sources (Dreamcast/Xbox 360 and/or PS2 respectively), I would insert an Extron RGB interface between the switcher and the Retrotek converter so that the Retrotek will always get RGBS or RGBHV, regardless of which console you're using. You'll need everything from the previous scenario, plus the RGB interface, plus a 4x or 5x BNC-to-VGA cable.

Do note that the RGB interface f none of your DE-15 cables include sync strippers for the consoles that don't natively output clean composite sync, you'll need some kind of inline sync stripper between the switcher and the RGB interface. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf units; you might have to go DIY for that.
BazookaBen wrote:The cabling I'm currently using has c-sync running to both the H and V pins, because I vaguely remember someone saying that's how you're supposed to do it... but I'm pretty sure I've hooked it up before with sync running only to the H pin and it still worked.
Running composite sync to the vertical sync generally isn't necessary. Running CSync solely on the HSync pin is supported by Extron equipment, Kramer equipment, and the OSSC.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Got word back from linuxbot3000 on his adapter, and he can custom build one that accepts RGBS, but natively it cannot support both RGBS and RGBHV.

If someone else can confirm that the AA converter supports CSync on the H pin I think I'll just go with that over the Retrotek (they're close enough in price), but I'd like to be certain before dropping $100 on it.
nmalinoski wrote:If you only ever plan on connecting RGBS sources to your switch, I would connect the switch directly to the Retrotek VGA to component converter with a standard shielded DE-15/VGA cable. For audio, you can probably pick up one of those Phoenix-to-RCA adapters and use a stereo RCA to whatever cable, depending on what your audio destination is..

If you intend to add RGBHV and/or RGsB sources (Dreamcast/Xbox 360 and/or PS2 respectively), I would insert an Extron RGB interface between the switcher and the Retrotek converter so that the Retrotek will always get RGBS or RGBHV, regardless of which console you're using. You'll need everything from the previous scenario, plus the RGB interface, plus a 4x or 5x BNC-to-VGA cable.

Do note that the RGB interface f none of your DE-15 cables include sync strippers for the consoles that don't natively output clean composite sync, you'll need some kind of inline sync stripper between the switcher and the RGB interface. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf units; you might have to go DIY for that.
I've already got clean sync for everything, and audio is already routed separately, so that does sound like the way to go. 480p+ sources, including RGsB from the PS2, is routed to a plasma that natively accepts every format I can throw at it, so that's not a problem either. I guess that means I could get linuxbot to make me a custom version of his adapter, but I'm willing to spend more on the proven option.

And for the record, not that it really matters, I went with DSub connectors because SCART was a consumer standard and has generally pretty crappy quality control and most importantly there was a lack of switches at the time. I got a nice slim 12x2 Extron VGA switch for about $30-40 that has a way smaller footprint than a crosspoint or gscartsw, and is built like a tank.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

bobrocks95 wrote:
And for the record, not that it really matters, I went with DSub connectors because SCART was a consumer standard and has generally pretty crappy quality control and most importantly there was a lack of switches at the time. I got a nice slim 12x2 Extron VGA switch for about $30-40 that has a way smaller footprint than a crosspoint or gscartsw, and is built like a tank.
DSUB is a great connector. I never did like scart.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BazookaBen wrote:Were you running c-sync or c-video?
c-sync. on the H pin.

just saw that you have sync on both H and V through your cable, so that's probably why it works in your setup.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

maxtherabbit wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:
But was it TTL csync? Any device with a VGA port is going to want TTL not video level
yes, coming off an Extron switcher, so TTL
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:Got word back from linuxbot3000 on his adapter, and he can custom build one that accepts RGBS, but natively it cannot support both RGBS and RGBHV.

If someone else can confirm that the AA converter supports CSync on the H pin I think I'll just go with that over the Retrotek (they're close enough in price), but I'd like to be certain before dropping $100 on it.
if you're willing to spend AA money, get the AA - it's a known quantity and I've heard too many bad things about retrotek

bobrocks95 wrote: And for the record, not that it really matters, I went with DSub connectors because SCART was a consumer standard and has generally pretty crappy quality control and most importantly there was a lack of switches at the time. I got a nice slim 12x2 Extron VGA switch for about $30-40 that has a way smaller footprint than a crosspoint or gscartsw, and is built like a tank.
we could hang out, VGAbro

EDIT: did you tall him you have TTL clean c-sync and he still said it won't work? I'm curious how he's combining them then...
Last edited by maxtherabbit on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

FinalBaton wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:
yes, coming off an Extron switcher, so TTL
Don't like the sound of that. I don't really want to try and solder jumper wires in a connector as tight as that, and dropping $100 on the AA then having to modify it doesn't sound great either.

EDIT: Can confirm searching old posts that you need to jumper H and V together in some way. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be, but I'm pretty awful at soldering...
maxtherabbit wrote:EDIT: did you tall him you have TTL clean c-sync and he still said it won't work? I'm curious how he's combining them then...
Didn't make that clear to him. He just said that it's either one or the other- for my purposes just supporting RGBS wouldn't be a big deal. Maybe I'll ask him some more details (LPF setting on the THS7374, recommended microUSB power supply) and just go with that.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:EDIT: did you tall him you have TTL clean c-sync and he still said it won't work? I'm curious how he's combining them then...
Didn't make that clear to him. He just said that it's either one or the other- for my purposes just supporting RGBS wouldn't be a big deal. Maybe I'll ask him some more details (LPF setting on the THS7374, recommended microUSB power supply) and just go with that.
maybe ask him about that specifically and see if he still says it won't work without modification?

I can't tell exactly how hes mixing the syncs by looking at the PCB, but it appears to be pretty basic since there's no IC for it that I can find. I would think that having v-sync floating and h-sync mixing in c-sync would still work with the unmodified device, but I can't be sure
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:I'm a bit confused - aren't your consoles RGBS and not VGA? Why are you looking for a VGA to component converter? Unless you're running 480p+ content to a HD CRT (which has Component in only)?

None of my setup uses SCART, it's all DSub RGBS cables. I'm trying to simplify the huge adapter chain to get to the SCART input on my component converter. A DSub to YPbPr converter that accepts RGBS is the easiest solution I can think of.

EDIT: Actually looking at it, the Audio Authority doesn't accept RGBS either, does it? Unless you're using it for RGBS hoagtech.
I used for auto switching and feeding all signals through AV3 on OSSC.

They have now updated the firmware for auto sensing OSSC inputs and I no longer need it.

If you would like to buy it with PSU PM me. Id let it go cheap
Copyright 1987
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

bobrocks95 wrote:Don't like the sound of that. I don't really want to try and solder jumper wires in a connector as tight as that, and dropping $100 on the AA then having to modify it doesn't sound great either.
I just tested H-sync only and it worked. So no need to make a jumper.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

BazookaBen wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Don't like the sound of that. I don't really want to try and solder jumper wires in a connector as tight as that, and dropping $100 on the AA then having to modify it doesn't sound great either.
I just tested H-sync only and it worked. So no need to make a jumper.
I think I'll bite if the AA's are still up come payday (looks like they will be). Absolute worst-case scenario is I get an Extron RGB interface to convert my output to RGBHV before it hits the AA.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I have a jrok for rgb to component conversion. Works well enough.

You can use cheap breakout boards to easily convert one RGB plug type to another.

On the interference, I find that problem is usually caused by poor grounding or a lack of proper shielding. You can get copper shielding tape on eBay for short sections of cable but it's better to bite the bullet and invest in better cables.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Here is my setup.

1 Console.
2 console to Vga cable
3 Extron MVX 128 Vga switch,
4 vga to Scart cable,
5 csy 2100 Scart to YUV (component) converter
6. component cable
7 and that goes to the tv.

it works very well and has nowhere near the amount of stuff you do in your setup.

you could just use everything i mentioned, and your vga switch that you already have.

the cables were custom built by Retro-access.com. i just used their custom RGBS cable configurator.

also if you need more inputs, there is the extron mvx 1616.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

mvsfan wrote:4 vga to Scart cable
You don't need the VGA to DVI dongle pictured on the end (or the audio even), but the below picture is simply a SCART to BNC cable I believe you can order off eBay (from wookieewin - message him) + a BNC to VGA dongle which will let you go from your Extron VGA switcher directly to the CSY-2100 SCART to YPbPr converter mvsfan mentioned (or the higher quality Shinybow SB-2840 I keep mentioning).

OR (just paraphrasing from what you've posted so far to prove a point :) you can get a custom made device from linuxbot3000 which may or may not work, or order a discontinued (sometimes hard to find) AA converter which you might have to solder jumper wires onto, or the RetroTech + ?have to add yet another device like an Extron RGB interface to get RGBS? ...I mean, again, I'm confused why you really want to go through all the above type of stuff when multiple people have given you super easy ways to go about this with currently available equipment, and a pretty simple chain.

What I've previously laid out, and now mvsfan, literally involves one cable on the output side (either a single, or 2-part like mine which is only 2-part because I had it laying around), running to a RGBS to YPbPr converter (which it seems like you already have from your initial post?) which runs to your consumer TV and you're golden.

Please excuse me if I'm misunderstanding something, but this seems like a simple solution people run all the time.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I think dochartaigh is on the right track honestly

you could replace all of: VGA to BNC cable --> BNC to RCA adapters --> RCA to SCART adapter --> Female to Female SCART gender changer

with an $6 extron VGA/BNC breakout and a SCART to BNC cable

now that being said, if your existing SCART to YPbPr converter is the source of the issues... then we're back to square one and you should just get the audio authority and be done with it

what kind of transcoder do you have? a CSY2100?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I had a Keene Aptus 1 which has no impressions anywhere and the SCART connector (male btw) was slightly bent from the day I got it. Part of this was a healthy skepticism that the converter may be the problem. BNC to SCART still meant 3 cables and a female to female adapter, and it may not have fixed the problem.

That AA dropped in price and I got it today- 480i looked fine but was centered poorly on the screen (picture too far up and to the right), 240p was slowly scrolling vertically. Overall it doesn't seem to like csync on the Hsync pin.

Edit: I shorted H and V sync pins on the converter side with a screwdriver head to test and it gave me garbage. Maybe it has to be done on the cable source end (would think doing it at the end of the cable going into the converter would be equivalent to the shorting I did?)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

bobrocks95 wrote:I had a Keene Aptus 1 which has no impressions anywhere and the SCART connector (male btw) was slightly bent from the day I got it. Part of this was a healthy skepticism that the converter may be the problem. BNC to SCART still meant 3 cables and a female to female adapter, and it may not have fixed the problem.

That AA dropped in price and I got it today- 480i looked fine but was centered poorly on the screen (picture too far up and to the right), 240p was slowly scrolling vertically. Overall it doesn't seem to like csync on the Hsync pin.

Edit: I shorted H and V sync pins on the converter side with a screwdriver head to test and it gave me garbage. Maybe it has to be done on the cable source end (would think doing it at the end of the cable going into the converter would be equivalent to the shorting I did?)
Maybe short the ground for H and V too?

Also, when I said I tested on the H-pin, I just ran my signal through two BNC>VGA converters and left one sync pin unplugged. It's possible that I had it hooked up to the V pin instead of the H pin, because I'm not sure about the color coding on my BNC adapters. So maybe try routing C-sync to V-sync and see what happens