How's PS1 Warhawk?...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

How's PS1 Warhawk?...

Post by dave4shmups »

I am really enjoying Air Combat, and I know that Warhawk is also an early PS1 3D shooter; so I'd like some feedback from anyone who owns it, or has played it.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

It hasn't aged well. The control is a little clunky and the graphics aren't too hot anymore, but at the time it was very very impressive. The FMV segments are comedy gold.

Wouldn't recommend paying more than $5 for it. I think I paid about $3 from EBGames back in 03 for a copy when I had a nostalgia kick (and the desire to get more than just Philosoma, GDarius, and Sanvein to compensate for the shipping) and it just wasn't half as good as it was back when I first played it :(
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

How would you say it compares to Air Combat, or do you have that one?

And in what way are the controlls clunky? I only ask because I assumed that the game had very a very simple control setup, because it was released several years before the Dualshock controller came out.

As far as aging well, I could care less if the graphics in a game age well as long as the game's still fun to play.

One last question-have you played C:12 Final Resistance? I know it was a late 3rd-person shooter for the PS1, and I'm looking for a good 3rd-person PS1 shooter that's more action based then stealth based.
Farewell to hollow words
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

It's been a really, really long time since I played Air Combat, but from what I recall the graphics weren't as hot as Warhawk's then (so imagine how they've aged now). Some interesting missions, but then again, I thought the same about Top Gun at the time.

I'm really going to have to fire up Warhawk again to reexperience just why I felt that way about it, the last time I played it was back in 03 when I bought it again. If I can find a copy on the Usenet I'll download it and give it a whirl, elsewise someone else is going to have to answer (or you're going to have to wait until the end of the month when I go back to Ohio)

C-12 kicked ass. It wasn't as good as One (One should just have been called "Contra 4"), but it was pretty fucking good. That's another title I haven't played in years (got the UK version when it came out since I heard it wasn't getting released in the US...naturally I got bit in the ass :( )
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Dave i have a copy of C-12 around here somewhere if you are interested in sale/trade.
I have no sig whatsoever.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I didn't care for One that much-I don't know about the other stages, but the first one was like 99% running from the police helicopter and beating the crap out of fallen pillars to build up your rage meter.

Assault: Retribution is the game on the PS1 that reminds me most of Contra; it rocks, and it's DIRT cheap too!

Captain Ahar, I have some Genesis and NES games left for trade.

Before I agree to any trade, does C:12 have a lot of action, or is it just sneaking around most of the time, AKA Metal Gear Solid, which I didn't care for at all.
Farewell to hollow words
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

there is virtually no sneaking in C-12 (i say virtually, because you can scan enemies for possible weaknesses). but still very action oriented.

fun fact: it is made by Sony Cambridge (of MediEvil fame).

as far as the games you have left: i am interested in Rolling Thunder II, III, Adventure Island, Wolf Child. pm me with offer. Thanks.

oh and One was terrible. Apocalypse was way funner (but still).
I have no sig whatsoever.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

One more question: has anyone played "The Hive" for PS1?

I LOVE rail shooters, and as "The Hive" is a very cheap one, I'm pretty interested in it. IGN gave it a lousy score, but is it really that bad? I'd like some feedback from anyone who's played the PS1 version. (It also came out on PC.)
Farewell to hollow words
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

dave4shmups wrote:I didn't care for One that much-I don't know about the other stages, but the first one was like 99% running from the police helicopter and beating the crap out of fallen pillars to build up your rage meter.
I loved the opening sequence and grew to love the first stage over time, but I will agree that initially it left me unimpressed. After you defeat the helicoptor it picks up ;)
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Air Combat is better, IMHO. Felt very arcadey in comparison.

Yup. One was terrible. Good idea, bad execution.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Ha, glad to see you liked Assault: Retribution. It's an OK game for one-time through; the graphics suck but the action's decent.

I'm kinda surprised to see a lot of One hate in here, I remember at the time of its release everyone was saying stuff like "This is how Contra in 3D should have been!" and praising it.

I've never really liked Warhawk, I tried to force myself to like it since everyone else did, but underneath that PR-like smile of mine was a boy who had no fun playing the game :(
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

What is Air combat, you talking about "ACE" combat?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

neorichieb1971 wrote:What is Air combat, you talking about "ACE" combat?
No, in the US it was released as Air Combat. Getting all anifagish over someone calling it Air Combat instead of Ace Combat is about as elitest retarded as you can get. Take your japanophile pills. Juding from your location, you live in the US as well.

On a sidenote, do you also refer to the Genesis as the Mega Drive?
shadowstar

Post by shadowstar »

dave4shmups wrote:One more question: has anyone played "The Hive" for PS1?

I LOVE rail shooters, and as "The Hive" is a very cheap one, I'm pretty interested in it. IGN gave it a lousy score, but is it really that bad? I'd like some feedback from anyone who's played the PS1 version. (It also came out on PC.)
I thought the PC version was pretty neat, and the music was great. I'm just going to assume the PC version is better than the PS1 version, but if the PC version is any indicator, it'll probably be worth a few bucks.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

roushimsx wrote: No, in the US it was released as Air Combat. Getting all anifagish over someone calling it Air Combat instead of Ace Combat is about as elitest retarded as you can get. Take your japanophile pills. Juding from your location, you live in the US as well.

On a sidenote, do you also refer to the Genesis as the Mega Drive?
Hey bud, I didn't sense any sarcasm in his post, just a casual question. chillax.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

One is cool. The 1st stage is very cool, I really love that helicopter battle.. I think that was very well thought.

The 2nd stage, with you running from the badguy in the roofs of the city, and escaping in a big ship.. that also was awesome.

One is a very good game. I don't think it could be called "Contra 4", I sometimes don't like the way the game aims your shots... with a few more refinements, the game would be a true classic. But it's still a very good game.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

See that's exactly what I don't like about One-there's way too much chasing and running and not nearly enough shooting.

Assault: Retribution would have had a lot more replay value if Midway had just bothered to add in a score. Why they left that out is beyond me, but if I'm gonna blast through hordes of aliens I want a frickin' score! :?

How's Assault Rigs? From the screenshots I've seen, the graphics have a very Tron-look to them.
Farewell to hollow words
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Its ok to compare it to Air Combat. Air Combat is more fun I think, but Warhawk is more original.
Also, in Warhawk, you have the ability to hover.

If you really like these games, then if you can live without "shooting", give Sky Odyessy(PS2) a try. Its an adventure game in the air...think along the lines of Laura Croft flies a plane, and add some Pilot Wings in there as well.

Give Crimson Skies(XBOX) a shot too!
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

If you like Air Combat (Ace Combat 1), then you've got to try the rest!

The Ace Combat games are the best console (arcade) flight sims I've ever played.

Ace Combat 2 (PS1)
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere (PS1) (Unfortunately Namco cut out a lot in the US version. The Japanese version is much better.)
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies (PS2)
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (PS2)

Note: Avoid Ace Combat Advance (GBA). It really SUCKS.

Oh, and here's a great site for Ace Combat fans...

http://www.acecombat.net
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

The latest Ace Combat was about as fun as watching a catapillar cross the sidewalk.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

I have always liked Warhawk ("This is Commander Jossick!"), but I don't think that it compares to Ace Combat at all. Two completely different styles of game play.

Will pop it in for you tonight, dave.