Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Stevens »

Really impressive man.
My lord, I have come for you.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

mycophobia wrote:did a highest-difficulty Strider Hiryuu no death run.

now i never have to play this game again. until I decide to go for the hardest no items/no death run that is of course.
Nice job! Brute forcing the bigger enemies with rapid-fire slashes seems surprisingly effective. Does autofire meaningfully increase your damage or is it mostly a convenience thing?
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

its just so i dont have to mash. it does make bosses a bit easier sometimes though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Wonder Boy in Monster Land / Demon Front
kitten wrote:Final Fight Tough
Good posts. :smile:

Sheeit, it's request time. Could someone be a bro and take over updating the front page for a bit? I'm busy as fuck lately and can't be arsed - I mean, I can't be around as much. c/p the whole motherfucker into a new post and I'll link it from the OP, if that's cool. :wink: It was always a silly little thing, but it seems a shame to leave it closed to new members on account of my deadbeat ass.

I've given up on the thread indexing thing, for now. Logistics, lack of time and the willfully unruly nature of the thing aside, I'm not sure how well my warblings holds up in isolation tbh. I dunno, see what you guys think. This was the first fifty pages or so, with a few from later on that stood out in memory (Crude Buster, Metal Storm and Holy Diver, mainly).
Spoiler
Blinge wrote:Was chilling with JWS the other day and casually stuck NG on and beat it, felt good man. It's cool how little rust there seems to be with that game, even getting through the notorious stage 6 areas sans spinslash.
It's in the margins of error, I've found. They're absolutely pitch-perfect for making every kill and jump a nailbiter no matter how often you've 1LCd the game. Add the relentless course and you have a keeper!

Speaking of margins of error, I guess this is officially R2RKMF Part 4: The Wintry Gravestone of Biru. :shock: Life comes at you fast. :lol:

edit: hey, wait a minute. Image I said fall 2018, so technically we're almost on schedule! Yeah! Image
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I'll do it, no problem. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marble wrote:Huzzah, the best 2D action game ever now has its own thread.
You heard the man. Image To avoid splintering the Makaimura Miscellanies thread, here's one for its Ninja Gaiden offshoot, and sidescrolling action in general. Single-screeners like Bubble Bobble are welcome too, as are flipscreeners like MSX2 Akumajou Dracula.

R2RKMF v2.0 update, August 2017:

As the thread continues its evolution, I've seen fit to expand coverage to the similarly hardcore 2D action formats of beltscrolling (eg Double Dragon) and topdown (eg Ikari). Feel free to discuss games of these types here! Additionally, though Ninja Gaiden is the thread's thematic anchor, don't worry about the "action" level too much. More sedate stuff like Hebereke, or exploration-geared ARPGs ala Faxanadu are totally welcome.

For now, the hard & fast Off Topic subjects are:

1] anything that's on-topic in Shmups Chat (borderliners like Ikari excepted, obviously)
2] head-to-head fighting ala Street Fighter (please use the existing OT threads for those)
3] non-action stuff like turn-based strategy, point n' clicks, dating sims...

... however, if it's a dating sim with badass sidescrolling segments, that's definitely of interest! Or indeed a topdown roguelike with conspicuously arcadey ethos, ala Cave Noire. Additionally, outlying genre-bender cases like Quarth, Gomola Speed and Herzog Zwei will typically be regarded leniently. I guess HZ is a straight RTS, but you know what I mean. Damn thing could go straight into an arcade cab. This scrolling action business is a rough science. Image Even the explicitly OT stuff listed above isn't quite hard and fast, though I request compelling reasoning. As an example, here's how I wangled Silent Bomber in. ;3

What does the future hold? Space Harrier and Lethal Enforcers?! :shock: Might this eventually be "the 2D action thread" ? Dunno tbh. But for now, please consider the preceding two paragraphs a rough topicality guideline. Use your discretion, and post excellently!

To assist newcomers to the NG trilogy, here are some useful replays:

Ninja Gaiden
Marble wrote:Superplays to watch include bubufubu's No Subweapon 1LC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzT_gy6G ... w&index=23
bubufubu's 1-Hit Run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGrfJlC ... w&index=24
and the current WR speed run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1hUIMMtlpo
Plus Marble's Shadow Warriors no-miss

>> Austin's no-miss:
Austin wrote:Here is a longplay I did of the game a couple of years ago. It's not a perfect run by any means, but I do manage to complete it without dying, and it shows my general play style. I like to flow my way through the game as much as I can, mowing as many enemies down with jump-slashes as possible to keep my movement going: http://youtu.be/JU-q7caaxZo (maybe mute it if you want, this is a full commentary video).
>> Squire Grooktook's fully annotated no-miss ALL, with all cinematics included! ITS POPCORN TYME

>> Vanguard's one life clear

>> FinalBaton's No Miss
FinalBaton wrote:Here is my run of Ninja Gaiden

No death. No hit until stage 4-3. No firewheel used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sDYTy_mV2o
>> SKYe's Subweaponless+Itemless 1CC and the sequel:

>> SKYe's Subweaponless+Itemless 1LC!

>> kitten's no-miss
kitten wrote:well, my ninja gaiden run is up! along with a usual summary of my opinions and play in the comments.
mycophobia wrote:Got my NG no death run! Here's the video
^^ excellent Jaquio technique!

And here's the NG1 no-miss run I said I'd record. It's relatively sloppy, because I'm lazy ROFL. However, this may actually be useful by demonstrating not only how to avoid sticky situations but how to escape them. Despite the slack playstyle everything demonstrated is rooted in skill as opposed to good fortune. I should know, I play NG screwily all the time. What do you think this is, kid? SAIGO NO NINDO?

Oh, here's another. Got the staff roll this time! It's not very polished either though. Don't get your hopes up kids!

Ninja Gaiden II

>My equally bullshit Ninja Gaiden II no-miss! (with cutscenes by request - ITS POPCORN TYME once again!)

>And my marginally less bullshit no-miss sans cutscenes! DROP THAT POPCORN YOU FUCK

Ninja Gaiden III
pegboy wrote:Ninja Gaiden you say? I did a (sloppy) no-death run of Ninja Gaiden III: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPQ4M8IXY4
Volteccer_Jack wrote:Ninja Gaiden III no miss clear (without invincible fire wheel)

Never recorded a run like this before, so if I look nervous and jittery as fuck, it's because I am. The reason I don't skip the final boss cutscenes immediately is that I'm trying to stop my hands shaking! Totally winging it for Act 3 boss and 5-1, first half of Act 6 is hella sloppy but worked out well. Thanks to sucky recording, my awesome MLG windmill shurikens in Act 7 are invisible. You can't tell from the video, but that first shuriken in 7-2B doesn't come out at all, which frustratingly made me get hit. In general I was rushing too much and taking too much damage, I end the game with 40 seconds to spare.
^^^ holy shit, NGIII Act VII sans firewheel! :O

---

If you have had your ass kicked in by these games - take heart! Practice and you too will join the NINJA RYUKENDEN TASK FORCE. THESE BRAVE SOULS HAVE TAKEN ON THE JAQUIO AND HIS ARMY OF SAVAGE BIRDS, AND WON :shock:

ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Review & Strategy Index

NOTE: Many of the entries in this section are a starting point to a game's discussion, as opposed to a self-contained post. As such, take the time to read some of the posts that follow the ones linked here, because it is very likely that there is some relevant and/or important discussion happening there.
  • 2010 Street Fighter [FC] 8 Eyes [FC] Actraiser II [SFC] Akumajou Dracula XX [SFC] Alladin [MD] Ankoku Densetsu [PCE] Azure Striker Gunvolt [Switch] Bare Knuckle / Streets Of Rage [MD] Bare Knuckle II / Streets Of Rage II [MD] Bare Knuckle III / Streets Of Rage III [MD]
    • Reviews: __SKYe (1 2 3 4)
    Bionic Commando [FC] Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon [MD] & [SFC] Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R [SFC]
    • Reviews: __SKYe (1 2 3)
    Blazing Chrome [PC] Bucky O'Hare [FC] Cabal [ARC]
    • Reviews: __SKYe (1 2)
    Cadash [ARC] & [MD] & [PCE] Castlevania II [FC] Castlevania: Circle Of The Moon [GBA] Castlevania: Dracula XX [SFC] Castlevania: The Holy Relics [FC] -- RomHack Cave Noire [GB]
    Cave Story [PC] Choujin Sentai Jetman [FC] Contra III [SFC] Combatribes, The [SFC] Crossfire [FC] Crude Buster [MD] Cuphead [PC] Dahna [MD]
    • Reviews: BIL (1 2)
    Devil Hunter Yohko [MD] DJ Boy [MD] Double Dragon / Sou Setsu Ryu [FC] Dread Lock [PC] Dungeons 'n Dragons: Tower Of Doom [ARC]
    • Strategy: Vludi (1 2)
    Faxanadu [FC] Final Fight 2 [SFC]
    Fray CD: Xak Gaiden [PCE-CD] Front Line [FC]
    Ganbare Goemon [FC] Ganbare Goemon 2 [FC] Gekisha Boy [PCE] Gimmick! [FC] Ghost Chaser Densei: Denjin Makai [SFC] Gomola Speed [PCE] Holy Diver [FC] Iga Ninden Gaou [PCD-CD] Ikari No Yousai [GB] Ikari No Yousai [SFC]
    Jenka's Nightmare [PC] -- Fangame Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman 3 [PCE-CD] Katana Zero [Switch] Kenseiden [SMS] Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden [SFC]
    Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger [FC] Legendary Ax II, The / Ankoku Densetsu [PCE] Little Nemo [FC] Lord Of King, The / Astyanax [FC]
    Magical Pop'n [SFC] Mamona Hunter Yohko [MD] MegaMari [PC] -- Fangame Melfand Stories [SFC] Mesopatamia [PCE] Messenger, The [PC] Metafight [FC] Metalgun Slinger [GBA] Metal Storm [FC] Metal Warriors [SFC] Mighty Final Fight [FC] Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight [PC] Monster World IV [MD] Mystic Formula [PCE-CD] Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-kun [FC]
    Nekketsu Oyako [SAT] Ninja Five-O / Ninja Cop [GBA] Ninja Gaiden / Ninja Ryukenden [FC]
    • Reviews: Everything & Everyone
    Ninja Gaiden [SMS] Ninja Gaiden Shadow / Ninja Ryukenden [GB] Ninja Spirit [ARC] Prince Of Persia [SFC] Psychic World [SMS] Quarth [FC]
    Raf World [FC] Rapid Angel, The [PS1] Red Arremer: Makaimura Gaiden [GB] Renny Blaster [PCE-CD] Robocop vs Terminator [MD] Rockman 4: Minus Infinity [FC] -- RomHack Rockman & Forte [SFC] Rubble Saver [GB] Rush 'n Attack [FC] Spartan X2 [FC] Shinobi [SMS] Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru [SAT] Super Mario Bros 2 [FDS] Taz-Mania [MD] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [GB] Touhou Luna Nights [PC] Trip World [GB] Undercover Cops [SFC] Vice: Project Doom / Gun-Dec [FC] Wendy: Every Witch Way [GBC] Wonder Boy In Monster World [ARC] Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap [SMS] X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse [FC] Yie Ar Kung-Fu [FC] Ys III [PCE-CD] Ys V [SFC]
Action Games Worth Playing
Assorted Game Rankings
Other Useful Things
Last edited by __SKYe on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 13 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks a million. :smile: Will link to it from the OP.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I'm also gonna go ahead and at least put my strategy/review posts on the index, since I wrote them in the first place.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yes, I definitely had your Kunio + Bare Knuckle stuff in mind - they're some of the best this thread has ever seen. Just exhausted at the moment unfortunately. Your Crude Buster (MD) posts are damn good too, I consider my little review a prelude to them. :smile:

Formatting looks great by the way, I'm so behind I didn't know we even had bullet points!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Great stuff! Happy to see the immortalisation of The Hellraising Action Games Scrolls has commenced. Looking good! And yes I was just about to campaign to have some of __SKYe's very thorough strategy guides in there :D
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Alright, added some of my stuff. Plenty of posts to go through -- and I don't even have that many compared to most people here! :o
Also stumbled upon a couple of BIL's reviews (Faxanadu and Double Dragon) and Squire's Cuphead writeup, and added that as well.
BIL wrote:Formatting looks great by the way, I'm so behind I didn't know we even had bullet points!
Neither did I until today. :lol:

Forums like this are fantastic to have discussions on, but are terrible for any kind of compact archival of its contents. Their iteration based strategy/walkthrough posts would require a massive amount of work to condense into a walkthrough.
I guess whoever wants to go back and re-read them, will have to wade a bit around the linked posts in the index to find all relevant discussion on any particular game.
FinalBaton wrote:Great stuff! Happy to see the immortalisation of The Hellraising Action Games Scrolls has commenced.
There's a lot of great stuff here. Gotta have each member starting rummaging through their own posts to help fill the index out. :)
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Late to this thread but good job Sumez for beating Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Fun but very tough game. How long it took you to figure out the maze in the final level? I could get there regularly but never made it to the final boss.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ruldra wrote:Late to this thread but good job Sumez for beating Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Fun but very tough game. How long it took you to figure out the maze in the final level? I could get there regularly but never made it to the final boss.
All the aspects to the game sort of dropped in over the day.
As I mentioned we played the game at a friend's arcade, taking turns at giving the game a go. They were already playing the game as we got there, and having played it just the day before, I was able to supply some strategies that helped the others too, such as the trick for potentially getting 60+ coins, and how to consistently answer the Sphinx's question. Meanwhile I learned some stuff that I didn't know, such as the fact that buying drinks actually heals you (every heart matters in this game, so that's pretty important), and a cheaper way to get a better armor early on.
As we were going at the game, another guy showed up later in the evening, and he knew a few other things about the game, including the way through the final dungeon. When I first got there, he guided me through it (based on rough memory, we did end up with a few wrong turns), and later on when he had left again, I tried to remember it on my own. I managed to reach the final boss in two other games before actually beating it. Basically what ended up making the difference was finally getting there with both the best shield and armor.

The maze isn't actually that obscure I think. Usually if there is one road to take that's tougher than another, that tends to be the correct one, and most of the wrong turns only send you one screen back. Some of them can be quite punishing though, especially considering you're on a strict timer.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

hot on the heels of Strider hardest no miss I give you Shinobi hardest no miss. I guess a NMNB would technically be possible given you can glitch the third boss but I don't really want to try
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

It's crazy how you manage to make dodging bullets look easy.

So I guess shuriken use is highly encouraged in the original Shinobi? Compared to Shadow Dancer MD, which - as we all know - plays better in no-shuriken mode, the projectile usage makes for a much faster game, one much closer to its inspiration.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

You still get a bonus from clearing a stage only using melee in Shinobi, and for survival purposes it can be useful as well; primarily against ninjas and shield guys, where a melee attack will penetrate where a shuriken won't.

Shadow Dancer MD having its own no shuriken mode makes it so you don't have to worry about range at all as the melee attack will come out no matter what, but in Shinobi you can, say, misjudge how far away you are from a shield guy and throw a useless shuriken when you meant to melee and subsequently get pwned by his sword. This is less of an issue in Shinobi than in arcade Shadow Dancer, where the melee range seems more finicky and hard to discern.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Re: The Messenger

I just finished the game. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, although I think that its first half as a linear action game is the stronger one. In the second half it loses focus and direction, and there's too much backtracking. A few more warps could have worked wonders. I agree that there are too few enemies that are exclusive to their respective levels. Iirc, only the Quillshroom March has enemies that are in no other levels.

The charming way it's implemented notwithstanding, I feel that the time warp feature hasn't been used to its fullest potential. Apart form a few 'puzzle' rooms, only the Cloud Ruins level presents a significantly different challenge on the second playthrough.

Some rooms give the impression that you really need to master the controls to get through them, but somehow in most cases stumbling through them while wildly mashing buttons seems to work, too. (Honorable exception: the Corrupted Future chase scene.) This is a pity, because the controls are tight and the ninja moves are interesting to use.

Bosses are enjoyable, but have a tendency to outstay their welcome by having just a tad too much health.

Other than that, there's little to complain. Visuals are good, sometimes even very good, if a little generic. The music is fantastic in both modes. And some of the dialogue is genuinely funny ("Nice hat").
Marc

Post by Marc »

Data East's Nitro Ball out on Switch... never even heard of this? Any good in comparison to the mighty Mercs & Total Carnage?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Decided to give another go at the beat'em up genre to see if I can break through and get into it this year.

I figured I might as well aim for the top, and these games were probably a good start. Anything I'm missing?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Good picks Sumezu

I adore Turtles in Time but I haven't played it recently so I can't say if it's substance is objectively great or not.

It's form certainly fucking is though. Holy.. a true feast for the senses. Imma replay it now

Also SOR1 is as excellent as 2, for damn sure

I have a soft spot for GOlden Axe but not sure if it's considered elite or not. it's very gimmicky(you kinda have to spam stuff), but one thing is for sure : no game is gonna make you want to watch your Y axis, as much as that one(due to charging enemies). So it's highly technical in a way.

Can someone comment on King of Dragons for SNES? That port has charm up the wazoo, really thinking about picking it up. Is the combat fun in it? I don't mind the short stages
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I can't stand Golden Axe. All the fun sucked out of the belt scroller idea, because the game demands that you play it in the most annoying way possible just to clear it, not even for score.
Marc wrote:Data East's Nitro Ball out on Switch... never even heard of this? Any good in comparison to the mighty Mercs & Total Carnage?
Take the Smash T.V. concept and make the game show pinball-themed. It's a total trip, and worth spending some time with.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah I've played the Golden Axe games a lot over the years (though admittedly, as with most other stuff in the genre - without really grasping it), and there's definitely something about it that just doesn't grab me at all. Playing it feels like a chore to me, rather than fun.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Oh good, I'm not the only one who feels this way about Golden Axe. I think part of it may have to do with how simplistic the enemy AI is.
FinalBaton wrote:Can someone comment on King of Dragons for SNES? That port has charm up the wazoo, really thinking about picking it up. Is the combat fun in it? I don't mind the short stages
I like the port quite a bit, though it's a tad annoying that the Wyvern no longer telegraphs its fire-breathing attack.

Oh! I see you've asked this before!
Vludi wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:Have you played the SFC King Of Dragons? How is it?
I really like how that port looks and sound (and yes I know it's quite different from the AC).
If the game is really fun, then I might pick it up regardless if it's arcade accurate or not. The small-ish window doesn't bother me.

Also the number of enemies on screens seems very decent, often there are 4 and there sometimes are 5 and even 6 ones at the same time! that is pretty nice
King of Dragons is probably the best Capcom brawler port on the console, it's not perfect or anything but it's a good approximation of the arcade considering the console, ~5 enemies on screen (you can overload like 8 in some areas via pacifist scrolling but it's unplayable like that), accurate enough mechanics, OST almost as good as the arcade and pretty graphics despite being downscaled, unlike the rest of Capcom ports KoD conserves pretty much all the animation from the arcade!
I didn't like Knights of the Round SFC when I played it, can't recall all the reasons but some important ones were the slow attack rate and wonky hitboxes, it feels annoying to play after how fluid and solid the arcade is. Captain Commando is easily the worst port for me, sluggish mess with broken combos, pretty inaccurate mechanics/bosses, ugly visuals and laughable performance (30 fps, max 3 enemies AND slowdowns), oh yeah and the soundtrack is terrible.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sumez wrote:Decided to give another go at the beat'em up genre to see if I can break through and get into it this year.

Anything I'm missing?
Solid set of games you have. I strongly recommend checking out Streets of Rage Remake V.5 if you haven't yet as, in spite of it being a fangame, I think it's even better than the classic games. It has the modern, fast paced feel of 3 with the ability to implement diagonal running to deal with its very difficult Mania enemies, can be customized not to have the stiffness of SoR2, and has game routes based on all three games to play through as well as fangames. It is, IMO, the definitive Streets of Rage game currently. A true gem.

Seconding Despatche's opinion on Golden Axe. It feels wonky to play due to how collision detection feels, and is not good. It also resembles a lot of Konami beat em ups in that regard though it's not quite as bad as Konami's "enemies break out whenever they feel like it" sort of thing (TMNT, X-Men, the Simpsons, lots of others by Konami featured this silliness). The only Konami beat em up I can really stand nowadays is Metamorphic Force because the Japanese version is fairly forgiving, and the enemies aren't too bullshit by Konami standards.

AVP is a solid arcade beat 'em up, but make sure to also check out Battle Circuit, and Armored Warriors. Both great games. The D&D ones are supposed to be amazing but I found them a bit too awkward to get into in terms of how movement, inventory functioned.
FinalBaton wrote:Can someone comment on King of Dragons for SNES? That port has charm up the wazoo, really thinking about picking it up. Is the combat fun in it? I don't mind the short stages

I used to play King of Dragons a ton on SNES. I find it a lot of fun though it may not be to everyone's cup of tea. It's an absolutely solid port (scaled down to fit the SNES) and is great fun to play. The combat is deceptively basic as you only have one basic attack, no combos or such, but it emphasizes the imporance of spacing and positioning for attacks, as well as emphasizes guarding. I think it also has a guard button unlike the arcade version, in case you had trouble guarding and want an extra advantage. Is a lotta fun to play co-op.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks for the answer BareKnuckleRoo

Also of course if we're talking great beat 'em ups, the D&D games need to be mentionned. They're not your meat-and-potatoes example of the genre, since you have access to lots of throwing weapons and spells, so not a pure distillation of the genre like earlier games. Still great fun though
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I strongly recommend checking out Streets of Rage Remake V.5 if you haven't yet as, in spite of it being a fangame, I think it's even better than the classic games. It has the modern, fast paced feel of 3 with the ability to implement diagonal running to deal with its very difficult Mania enemies, can be customized not to have the stiffness of SoR2, and has game routes based on all three games to play through as well as fangames. It is, IMO, the definitive Streets of Rage game currently. A true gem.
I've heard good things about this. However, I feel that I should probably understand the original games before delving into fangames.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm surprised Golden Axe even had the reputation it did to be honest, I've always thought it was crappy. That and the Konami games do that thing where individual hits don't seem to register, it feels more like you're trying to scratch an enemies face off rather than dealing them a solid blow. I remember Stuart Campbell getting a lot of flak when Amiga Power reviewed it - he essentially said something along the lines of 'yes it's an almost-perfect conversion, but the original was crap anyway', while other mags were doling out 9's and 90%+. The Konami games have such glaring faults that they can be picked up on within a few games in an arcade environment, never mind under home scrutiny. Though Turtles in Time on the SNES somehow turned out magnificently.

I'm afraid my enthusiasm for belt scrollers far outweighs my ability, but even I made decent progress with TNWA after a very long break - I think you'll enjoy that Sumez. It makes it a lot easier for me to juggle the various mechanics when the enemies are only coming from one plane. Eagerly awaiting the new version.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Am i right in thinking competent Golden Axe (2) play just involves spamming the dash attack to knock everyone down all the time.. Then magicking them ?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Marc wrote:I'm surprised Golden Axe even had the reputation it did to be honest, I've always thought it was crappy.
It certainly doesn't come anywhere close to the quality of the latter, better beat em ups, like most of the Capcom catalog, BK2/3, etc. I think it was mostly the setting and graphics, which were quite nice back in '89, that gave it its reputation, because it leaves a lot to be desired on the gameplay front. Somewhat like Sega's own Altered Beast, which also had imposing graphics at the time, but bog standard gameplay.
I believe it gets better in the sequels, but I'm not too versed on the series as a whole, so I'm not entirely certain.
If one's looking for a more subdued style of beat em up gameplay (compared to the BKs and FF/FF-inspired games), then King of Dragons, Knights of the Round and Warrior's Of Fate are much better options.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Solid set of games you have. I strongly recommend checking out Streets of Rage Remake V.5 if you haven't yet as, in spite of it being a fangame, I think it's even better than the classic games. It has the modern, fast paced feel of 3 with the ability to implement diagonal running to deal with its very difficult Mania enemies, can be customized not to have the stiffness of SoR2, and has game routes based on all three games to play through as well as fangames. It is, IMO, the definitive Streets of Rage game currently. A true gem.
I second that. It's a very well polished game, definitely worth playing.
I do think that it is best/better to play through the original games first, though. It allows you to experience the originals as intended, and also to give you a good feel for each game's mechanics, so that you can later tweak your experience better in SOR:R (I personally prefer no rechargeable special attack (draining, like BK2 and FF, unlike BK3), no controllable jump (like in BK2), no single button special moves (like when playing BK3 on a 6-button pad), etc).
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I remember being captivated by the screen shots of Golden Axe in magazines and thinking the ability to ride dinosaur like creatures was so cool. I guess the idea of the game was better than the actual gameplay. As an aside, and while I haven't played it yet, the arcade only Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder is supposedly one of the best in the genre.

If you're willing to try a more modern take, I'd highly recommend Fight'N Rage.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yeah I've long wanted to play Death Adder just because it looks to nice. Hopefully these Switch Sega Ages ports may travel some new ground.