XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Austin

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister

Post by Austin »

SNES_is_the_Best wrote:
Austin wrote:Resetting works fine for me in that regard. Could be something in the way of how your display is handling the signal from the FM.
Tried it on three other completely different displays and the results were the same.
Right, I wasn't expecting anything to change. It sounds like you're SOL.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Sirotaca wrote:
strayan wrote:If I connect a PAL gamecube using official D Terminal gamecube cables to the framemeister can it handle a forced 360p signal?

Hoping for results in the realm of this (360p rgb scart + ossc: https://youtu.be/xS4OZwHxDBU
I haven't successfully gotten 360p to work, but whether that's because it doesn't support 360p at all or because I'm doing something wrong, I can't say. GBI's settings are not very intuitive or well documented. That said, you can achieve similar results using the zoom settings, so 360p isn't particularly useful for the FM anyway.
Ok thanks. Interested to know whether anyone else has been able to get 360p working.
Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

Hey guys, I'm a bit confused on how the Framemesiter handles limited RGB (16-235).

I'm using FBX's profiles, and under the Output Range the RGB space is set to "Full". I changed it to "Limited" but the colors appear washed out unless I change the Output Color to "RGB" instead of "Auto", but I noticed that colors appear to be more overly saturated under the RGB Limited + RGB Output Color combination.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Are the FBX profiles tuned to Limited RGB by default or is it something I have to set manually?
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

Did anyone see / test this device by Thanko yet ?https://www.thanko.jp/shopdetail/000000002915/
I wonder how it handles 240p..
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Kez

Post by Kez »

Wow, that's unexpected! Quick Google translate of the added features:
※ OSD menu changes, including past updates. Please check the following details carefully before updating.
  • ■ The problem that the sound is not output and the screen becomes pink on the display that can not receive 4K video compatible TV or display or 4K liquid crystal panel but can receive 4K video has been improved.
  • ■ Added the "SCANLINE_FILTER" function that allows you to select the type of expression on the scan line.
  • ■ Display function was adjusted with analog RGB [640 x 400 [24 kHz] after PC-8801 mk II SR.
    * It does not guarantee the operation with PC - 8801. Please confirm PC-8801 support policy before FRAMEMEISTER and this firmware introduction .
  • ■ "DOT_CLOCK_MODE" and "DOT_CLOCK" were added for screen adjustment.
  • ■ "x2" display of 240p and 480i is available at "1280 x 1024 dots" and "1280 x 960 dots" resolution in DVI mode.
  • ■ Unified the problem that had a discrepancy in the operation of "SCANLINE" when "off (off)".
  • ■ Other, a minor problem was fixed.
Looks like a bunch of scanline modes have been added.. I wonder if the scanline output at 1080p has been improved. There is a graphic in the complete update log showing the different scanline filters.

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Where did they hide the download? On http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm I still only see 2.03a as the most recent FW.
juji82

Post by juji82 »

eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

Fudoh wrote:Where did they hide the download? On http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm I still only see 2.03a as the most recent FW.
Little late, but they moved to a new site:

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/new/xrgb-mini.html

And from there, there's a button that doesn't look like a button that expands to show FW download links:

aliensstudios

Post by aliensstudios »

New firmware??
Last edited by aliensstudios on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Anyone else notice that the scanline on/off toggle no longer works when using FBX's profiles? This is on 1080p. For me it works only if I use the DEFAULT.BIN profile. Firmware 2.04
aliensstudios

Post by aliensstudios »

mario64 wrote:Anyone else notice that the scanline on/off toggle no longer works when using FBX's profiles? This is on 1080p. For me it works only if I use the DEFAULT.BIN profile. Firmware 2.04
Yeah, I noticed that too. It seems some of the buttons on the remote don't execute their original functions either
FBX

Post by FBX »

mario64 wrote:Anyone else notice that the scanline on/off toggle no longer works when using FBX's profiles? This is on 1080p. For me it works only if I use the DEFAULT.BIN profile. Firmware 2.04
It's likely a glitch in the coding of the new firmware. Either that or they now disable it when custom scaling is set (which would be retarded). I'll make some time to look into it tonight.

Edit: I'm not having this problem after updating to 2.04E. Scanline button still functions with my profiles. Not sure what the deal is there.

At any rate, I'll do a write-up of the new dot clock feature and how it ties into the new scanline settings. There's some interesting things you can do, but unfortunately the dot clock is hard-set at 4 samples per pixel. So you still can't do razor sharp stuff like you can on the OSSC.
Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

Anyone knows what profiles I should use for a Wii in 480i? I know FBX has the GC one and I could set it to 16:9, but I kinda want my Wii with scanlines.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Jameson Rook wrote:Anyone knows what profiles I should use for a Wii in 480i? I know FBX has the GC one and I could set it to 16:9, but I kinda want my Wii with scanlines.
Can't help you there, but why would you not put the Wii into 480p mode (component cables are super affordable too) - that would upscale a LOT better on your flatscreen (which I'm assuming you're using the Framemeister on a flatscreen).
Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Jameson Rook wrote:Anyone knows what profiles I should use for a Wii in 480i? I know FBX has the GC one and I could set it to 16:9, but I kinda want my Wii with scanlines.
Can't help you there, but why would you not put the Wii into 480p mode (component cables are super affordable too) - that would upscale a LOT better on your flatscreen (which I'm assuming you're using the Framemeister on a flatscreen).
Great point. I'm using the Monster Cable component on my Mini actually. The only reason I stick with the mini instead of plugging in 480p directly to the TV is because of the integer scaling and I want scaliness for the Gamecube Resident Evil games. :D
field3d

Post by field3d »

Hello. I bought a framemeister and I have a Commodore 128dcr. To have the 80 columns with color and brown fix Impretened to use the bit-c128.com However I don’t want to use the Gonbes VGA upscaler. Of course I want to use the framemeister then anyone knows a place who sell cables from that RGB output of the bit-c128.com or from the vga adapter they sell there to a mini din 8 pins of the framemeister. I see this in eBay with item number 252871484300. But I checked the pins order if the mini din and appears change. Also I don’t know if from VGA to that 8 pins of the framemeister is required an electronic device or can be made just wire to wire without resistors, or any electronic.

Or how can I connect to the mini din 8 pins the commodore 128 from the bit-c128.com?

I hope someone can help.
aliensstudios

Post by aliensstudios »

I recently updated to a 1 chip SNES and I’ve had some issues with it through my Framemeister with the HD Retrovision cables. Something happens where the image will start bobbing up and down and the sound will sort of crackle in and out, it’s normally only on static screens or menus, but can occur in gameplay too. On my older SNES unit, this doesn’t happen at all through the Framemeister, only the 1 chip version. I’ve also plugged the component cable directly into my TV and it doesn’t happen with the 1 chip console, only through the Framemeister. I’ve tried turning sync from auto to off, but both yield the same results and unfortunately the sync setting can’t be altered for component sources. I was thinking perhaps it’s maybe a power supply issue, but both official SNES power supplies I have yield the same results on the 1 chip console. Perhaps it’s something with the Framemeister itself too. I think the cables are from the first batch produced in 2016, so I’m not sure if any tweaks have been made internally too since then. I guess any light you could shed on this would be appreciated. I've silently used the Framemeister for the past three years and haven't really had issues from it until today.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

field3d wrote:Hello. I bought a framemeister and I have a Commodore 128dcr. To have the 80 columns with color and brown fix Impretened to use the bit-c128.com However I don’t want to use the Gonbes VGA upscaler. Of course I want to use the framemeister then anyone knows a place who sell cables from that RGB output of the bit-c128.com or from the vga adapter they sell there to a mini din 8 pins of the framemeister. I see this in eBay with item number 252871484300. But I checked the pins order if the mini din and appears change. Also I don’t know if from VGA to that 8 pins of the framemeister is required an electronic device or can be made just wire to wire without resistors, or any electronic.

Or how can I connect to the mini din 8 pins the commodore 128 from the bit-c128.com?

I hope someone can help.
It looks like that DAC only outputs RGBHV/VGA, and the Framemeister's RGB input only takes RGBS; so you're either going to need a VGA to 8-pin mini-DIN cable with a sync combiner (unlikely to find one), or you're going to need an RGB interface that can take the 15kHz RGBHV from the Commodore and give you 15kHz RGBS, and then use a 4xBNC to 8-pin mini-DIN cable, with a TTL attenuator on the sync line, to connect that to your Framemeister.

If you want a sleeker setup, you could always pester the people at bit-c128.com to come out with a revision of their DAC board that outputs 75Ohm composite sync.
field3d

Post by field3d »

nmalinoski wrote:
field3d wrote:Hello. I bought a framemeister and I have a Commodore 128dcr. To have the 80 columns with color and brown fix Impretened to use the bit-c128.com However I don’t want to use the Gonbes VGA upscaler. Of course I want to use the framemeister then anyone knows a place who sell cables from that RGB output of the bit-c128.com or from the vga adapter they sell there to a mini din 8 pins of the framemeister. I see this in eBay with item number 252871484300. But I checked the pins order if the mini din and appears change. Also I don’t know if from VGA to that 8 pins of the framemeister is required an electronic device or can be made just wire to wire without resistors, or any electronic.

I hope someone can help.
It looks like that DAC only outputs RGBHV/VGA, and the Framemeister's RGB input only takes RGBS; so you're either going to need a VGA to 8-pin mini-DIN cable with a sync combiner (unlikely to find one), or you're going to need an RGB interface that can take the 15kHz RGBHV from the Commodore and give you 15kHz RGBS, and then use a 4xBNC to 8-pin mini-DIN cable, with a TTL attenuator on the sync line, to connect that to your Framemeister.

If you want a sleeker setup, you could always pester the people at bit-c128.com to come out with a revision of their DAC board that outputs 75Ohm composite sync.
In thank you I will try to check but like you said, you don’t find this kind of cables or adapters easily. Maybe I will use the bit-c128 then convert that to VGA and from VGA to components and input via componentes via the framemeinster in the D while there is another option.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

field3d wrote:In thank you I will try to check but like you said, you don’t find this kind of cables or adapters easily. Maybe I will use the bit-c128 then convert that to VGA and from VGA to components and input via componentes via the framemeinster in the D while there is another option.
Get in touch with Retro-Access.com; they do custom cables, and I know they have the parts that would be needed, so they might be willing to make you a custom VGA->8-pin mini-DIN cable for the Framemeister that includes the requisite sync combiner. That will probably be $50 to $60 USD shipped (my ballpark estimate) for a direct, high-quality solution, versus whatever it will cost for you to get a VGA to YPbPr converter ($90 for the Retrotek VGACTV1) and a component to D-Terminal cable ($12 to $40 depending on length/source/quality).

Edit: Sorry; meant sync combiner, not stripper; and I'm not entirely sure if Retro-Access has sync combiners.
Last edited by nmalinoski on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
field3d

Post by field3d »

nmalinoski wrote:
field3d wrote:In thank you I will try to check but like you said, you don’t find this kind of cables or adapters easily. Maybe I will use the bit-c128 then convert that to VGA and from VGA to components and input via componentes via the framemeinster in the D while there is another option.
Get in touch with Retro-Access.com; they do custom cables, and I know they have the parts that would be needed, so they might be willing to make you a custom VGA->8-pin mini-DIN cable for the Framemeister that includes the requisite sync stripper. That will probably be $50 to $60 USD shipped (my ballpark estimate) for a direct, high-quality solution, versus whatever it will cost for you to get a VGA to YPbPr converter ($90 for the Retrotek VGACTV1) and a component to D-Terminal cable ($12 to $40 depending on length/source/quality).
Ok I will check that person who makes cables. Your information was very useful. Thank you so much.
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

I have a GameCube hooked up to the FM over s video. Transparent or fast moving objects are showing horizontal lines like there is an interlacing issue. I’ve tried natural vs picture modes to no avail, it’s the same in both. Any ideas?
reinfallt

Post by reinfallt »

So, I am basically trying to decide on the best/most practical way to connect my gamecube.

This is what I have:
Official component cables
EON GCHD
Framemeister
OSSC

In the best of worlds I would like the Framemeister to handle interlaced content and let the OSSC handle progressive content. The simplest way to achieve this seems to be to have the gamecube connected to the framemeister and actually not play any 480p games on it. Instead I would play those on the Wii which is connected through the OSSC. I know the component output on the Wii is probably not as good as on the gamecube but it seems like the easiest solution.

Question 1: So if I use the gamecube with the framemeister, should I just stick with the component cables? I would prefer using the GCHD simply because an hdmi cable is just more practical, plus digital sound.

Yesterday I experimented with connecting the GCHD to the framemeister but had issues when using the GBI. Using the gbihf-xrgb I don't get any picture at all, using the gbisr-xrgb it works only if I enable line doubling on the GCHD so it outputs 480p instead of 240p. (I haven't tried to change any settings in the gbi cli files)

Question 2: How compatible are FBXs profiles for GBI when used like this? (GCHD instead of the regular component cables, sr version instead of hf of GBI etc.) I tested with the 20GBPA6X and 23GBPB7X profiles and manually copied the framemeister settings from component to hdmi1. I think the image gets resized correctly at least.

Actually, the ONLY reason I want to use the framemeister for interlaced content is because my Samsung tv for some reason forces overscan for all non-hd content (The "Fit to screen" setting is greyed out). Otherwise I would just connect everything through the OSSC and just let the tv handle deinterlacing and scaling for interlaced stuff. Then I could actually retire my framemeister for good.
Midge_the_Mouse

Post by Midge_the_Mouse »

Hello i'm a newbie looking for advice please on XRGB Mini Framemeister settings for 8bit home computers
The two home computers i have are:Atari 800XL PAL stock using S-VIDEO and a Commodore 64 PAL stock using S-VIDEO
My XRGB Mini Framemeister firmware is 2.04
My output display is SAMSUNG T32E310 32" LED TV/MONITOR PAL 5ms
My output from the XRGB Mini Framemeister is in too HMDI2/DVI PC port at the back off the SAMSUNG via HDMI cable
All of the SAMSUNG unnecessary fancy features that introduce lagg are turned off and GAME MODE is set to ON in HMDI2/DVI PC port

Now because i'm a newbie and i'm unsure if my settings are correct i don't know if i missing something or could have better settings? :oops:
The one saved profile i have made is both for the Atari 800XL and Commodre 64 i will post a few screen shots and maybe some experts can tell me were i'm going wrong please?

Atari screens:

Commodore 64 screens:

If people here need more information on the profile used i can upload that too

Many thanks for time and any help

:mrgreen:
shru

Post by shru »

Hey folks, I'm trying to get clean video output with GBA games via Game Boy Player and Extrem's Game Boy Interface. But I have been totally unable to get a clean horizontal axis. Instead of sharp, integer pixels, I get sort of blended intermediate bars. My vertical axis looks perfect, this is only an issue with the horizontal axis.

My setup is the following:

NTSC-J Gamecube -> GBIHF -> S-Video -> Framemeister (FW 2.02) w/ FireBrandX's GBAx6 profile

I'm using the latest official build of GBIHF with the following parameters:

Code: Select all

--format=custom-m
--scan-mode=non-interlace
--format=ntsc
--aspect=1:1
--
Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a photograph, although I suspect that anyone who knows what might be wrong here won't find it necessary. The text is suppose to have 1px thick black lines, but you can see some grey banding on either side of the letters which shouldn't be there.
Spoiler
EDIT: I got some help from Extrem's discord, and apparently the Framemeister just captures S-Video output at 720x480, then resizes it, as opposed to truly upscaling it. I think this explains my issue.
Voland

Post by Voland »

Help me friends!
My game console has a refresh rate of 48.8 hertz. The Framemeister converts it to the 50Hz HDMI output frequency, which is why the running text lines in the demo programs begin to twitch.
I tested with my gaming console such devices as OSSC and GBS-8220, and both of them managed to leave the input frequency unchanged at the output, resulting in running text lines on the HDMI monitor in FullHD mode did not twitch.
Is it possible to set up the Framemeister so that as a result of the RGBS-> HDMI conversion, the frame rate does not change?
Old_Man_Willow

Post by Old_Man_Willow »

Edit: Removed double post.
Last edited by Old_Man_Willow on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
field3d

Post by field3d »

Hello. I have maybe a fool question. How do you move from left to right the settings of the zoom when you call zoom from the remote control? For example, I press a button of zoom in the remote control, I see a bar that I can figure if you move left or right you increase or decrease a value. In my case if I use the arrows of the remote control, left or right arrows, simply does nothing. How can you activate that you can move that values? Hid how you move that values?
Old_Man_Willow

Post by Old_Man_Willow »

Hello fellow retrogamers!

I'm a video game fan from Germany and received my Framemeister only a couple of days ago. The sheer amount of settings this thing has is still a bit overwhelming to me as I am by no means an expert when it comes to picture settings, resolution, scaling and so on. My first project was/is getting my ps2 right. It actually is hooked up over component and after reading and fiddling a lot I am relatively satisfied with the picture. However, there is a thing I noticed that may not be game breaking but certainly isn't nice to look at either. Around my picture of the game itself are big black borders. Now that seems to be normal because of the scaling (?) that the picture doesn't fill the whole screen by 4:3 like it could with an emulator. However the real problem is, that when I alter my picture settings to make them brighter, the borders around the picture get brighter too! So what I see then is the picture of the game, a greyish frame around that picture an then the normal black bars left an right of the screen. Here's a screenshot of it:

It seems as if the framemeister scales the picture inside a picture that would normally be a 4:3 image. That would be fine with me but that greyish look ruins the experience somewhat. So what can I do about that? I can set my HDMI output range to full but that seems to be wrong as it doesn't match the range of the TV anymore and is a little bit on the dark side. However, it does hide the grey frame relatively good. I also tried to zoom the picture so that it perfectly fits inside the grey frame. But because of the horizontal borders being thinner than the vertical ones I will lose some image information on top and bottom if I zoom in even steps. The problem always exists, changinging picture modes or resolution (to 720p) doesn't matter, there's absolutely always that grey frame around my picture. It is even there with other consoles over the RGB IN although a little less visible/darker. It would be very nice if someone could give me a hint of what I should do now.

Lastly a few short settings regarding my setup:

TV (Sony Bravia):
- Overscan: off (+1)
- RGB Range: set to limited
- Capable of using Deep Color

Framemeister (2.03a):
- Input: Component
- Output: HDMI 1080p or 720p; YPbPr; RGB Limited
- Screen Set: Standard
- Image Mode: Natural
- Auto Scaler: Video
- Deep Color: Auto

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany!