FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by Sumez »

Hrm, so Adol isn't a playable main character from the beginning? Interesting.

Still hoping they might finally drop the party mechanic for this one, but we'll see.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

It won't be good. We have crossed the forbidden borderline, oblivion is our only salvation.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What a nice approach
Squire Grooktook

Jokes aside, party system or not I don't see them dumping the more "modern" mechanics and ideas that have watered down the formula. You really can't make a 3d action game these days without some kind of parry mechanic, and Falcom don't seem to show any inclination to buck the trends, solve the issues that arise from it in these games, or retool the formula into something different enough that it works.

If videos come out showing this to be a throwback to Oath/Origin, I'd be mad hype. But until then I'm guessing this is going to be a new twist on the party/crafting/exploration gimmicks of the previous 3 games.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Siliconera mentioned that the official website also referred to some kind of "Guild Management" system, so we're either looking at the final stage of Ys' modern-JRPGification or Falcom's own take on Dragon's Dogma. The screenshots do have a Gran Soren kind of vibe.

I don't know what Ys needs guilds for, but I'm guessing it's some kind of extension of the base building in 8.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

We can always hope it's like the hostess club in Yakuza. Dogi's totally the number one girl. :P
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/ys-ix-featu ... st-age-yet
Ys IX features Adol at his oldest age yet
Development currently 50 percent complete.

The latest issues of Weekly Famitsu and Dengeki PlayStation offer a few new details on the recently announced Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for PlayStation 4 via interviews with Falcom president and CEO Toshihiro Kondo.

Get the notable tidbits below.
  • The concept of the game is the subtitle “Monstrum Nox” (Monsters’ Night) itself.
    The game’s setting, Baldeux, is a three-dimensional town with different elevations. Its outskirts include grasslands, forests, and ruins.
    Set in an era after Ys Seven, Adol will appear at his oldest age in the series yet. His name as an adventurer is becoming known all over the world.
    Party battles and simple controls return. Additionally, the game introduces supernatural actions that lean on the supernatural abilities possessed by Monstrum. Wall-running and moving as a shadow are also possible.
    The new “Guild Operations” system is an expansion of Ys VIII‘s “Drifting Village” system.
    The hooded woman equipped with artificial arms and legs is a major key to the game’s story.
    Development is currently 50 percent complete.
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is due out for PlayStation 4 in 2019 in Japan.
Party battles... return
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

:(
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Some more updates from the same source:
Update 12/27/18 at 2:55 a.m.: More information has surfaced, via the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation, which also has an interview with Falcom president and CEO Toshihiro Kondo.

Here are the tidbits:

Adol is the protagonist.
Adol’s name has become known all over the world since Ys VI. The increase in the amount of people that know of Adol is one of the highlights of the game.
While there is a possibility that characters from past games will appear, they will serve a more minor role.
As for the reason Adol comes to the Prison City, it is highly likely he got wrapped up in something based on his previous behavior pattern.
The right arm of the woman in the key visual is artificial. She is a guide in this game. She is also the same woman that appeared on the countdown website.
There are characters that becamse non-human Monstrum for certain reasons.
The dream mentioned in the prologue is unrelated to Ys VIII‘s Dana dreams.
You can climb onto and move across rooftops.
You will be able to play as Monstrum during the course of the game.
There is also flying-esque floating, as well as aerial state actions.
Magic items have been abolished and will be consolidated into Supernatural Actions.
The adventuring gear that appeared in Ys VIII will also disappear. Since there are too many items and categories, the plan is to organize such elements together.
They would like map-making to stay. They also want to include fishing, but various elements have come up that are under consideration.
Seems like there'll be a more developed air game this time around
Xyga wrote:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Single Player Party-Based brawlers can be fun.

Check out Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (but only if it's on sale) to see a more interesting take on the idea; a game where you're constantly coming to your own rescue.

It's the flash guarding that ruined Ys 7-8. A series defined by running around, chopping enemies up without breaking your sprint, but the top level players are all just standing in one spot in front of the bosses, nullifying every attack.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Squire Grooktook

^^^Completely agreed. There's nothing inherently wrong with a party system: it's a concept that's been done well in other games. The execution of it here is shallow and flawed, but it's far from a deal breaker as (unlike flash guard) it doesn't completely ruin the core of the combat system.

YS Seven had a lot of other flaws mind you (Camera angles in boss fights that introduce depth perception issues, skill system, boss design, enemy design, dungeon layouts, leveling, difficulty balance, repetition, lots of things really...it'd still be shit even if you did some sort of no flash guard / adol only run), but until they ditch flash guard or rethink the focus of these games*, NuYs can only ever become a very polished rhythm game at best

*The only thing that interests me here, on that note, is the promise of more movement abilities. If they turn this into a half decent platformer to hide the repetitive combat, that could maybe make it worth playing.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Yeah, we are getting Trails of Cold Steel III! But the publisher is not who you'd think. Don't know what the hell happened to XSeed, but NISA is doing this. The date is Fall 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywr0nYWJuA
Good to know Sean Chiplock is back as Rean. Sure hope they kept the other English VAs for returning characters also.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

ROFLMAO. It's like Falcom wants it to fail miserably.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Obscura wrote:ROFLMAO. It's like Falcom wants it to fail miserably.
http://www.siliconera.com/2019/01/17/ni ... fall-2019/
I've read an article on Siliconera about it. Here's something I hope is true. Varion may have worked on the TL for this... I've got a feeling.
Siliconera wrote:Supposedly, certain English localization staff who previously worked on the series are working with NIS America on the translation. More information could come during this panel.
Let's hope NISA doesn't find something to botch. If something goes wrong it won't be an easy fix like Ys VIII. They need to nail it from day 1.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I've said this a lot about this subject already today but: FUCK.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

FFFFFFFFFFFF

WHy is stupid NISA doing this again? is Xseed overbooked and declining contracts or something?
If it's instead Falcom who is dumping Xseed (who have been so good for them and did totally professional work with their localizations) in favour of fucking NISA... then they dumb, eh
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
drauch

Post by drauch »

Don't want to detract too much, but what all has NISA flubbed up besides Ys?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steamflogger Boss

drauch wrote:Don't want to detract too much, but what all has NISA flubbed up besides Ys?
Just pick any game they have released. You will find plenty of translation errors if you dig deep enough.

Not to mention game breaking bugs. Which I suppose are par for the course in 2019 and fixable but they were pulling that off back in the PS2 era with Ar Tonelico 2 (requires a patch, made by fans) and Mana Khemia 2.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Hopefully the original translator for Ys VIII is not allowed anywhere near this. I found Ys VIII's original translation more tolerable than terrible but was glad to see it improved with the patch. "Tolerable" isn't good enough this time.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Mero

Post by Mero »

We'll see what the localisation is like but for now I'm just glad this is actually happening.
Steamflogger Boss

gameoverDude wrote:Hopefully the original translator for Ys VIII is not allowed anywhere near this. I found Ys VIII's original translation more tolerable than terrible but was glad to see it improved with the patch. "Tolerable" isn't good enough this time.
Agree, and this game has a lot of text. That is what worries me the most. Gives them more chances to make mistakes.
Mero wrote:We'll see what the localisation is like but for now I'm just glad this is actually happening.
It was pretty much assured at the very latest when the PS4 versions of the first two made it out of Japan. I am glad to see the series doing well.

Edit: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8185-nis-a ... ystation-4

Seems like they are bringing in some people to help, it's at the end of the article.
KAI

Post by KAI »

What an awful day to be a kiseki fan :(
Steamflogger Boss

gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Thanks for some good, reassuring news. We all needed this. :D
Kinect? KIN NOT.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Varion, who worked on ToCS I & II's localisation, isn't involved in any way with Trails of Cold Steel III. I can understand everyone's trepidation- this is NISA, right- but I'm staying hopeful. Things are a little different than with Ys VIII. Remember who's in their corner this time.
Varion's Twitter wrote: Varion
‏ @VarionTL
Jan 18

Had one person ask and I suppose others must be curious, but I had nothing to do with Cold Steel III’s localisation. Last year was super busy for me getting set up in Japan, and a freelance project of that size was impossible. I wish the team all the best with it, though!
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Tsavathay

Post by Tsavathay »

I finally finished Legend of Xanadu today.

What an epic game.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Tsavathay wrote:I finally finished Legend of Xanadu today.

What an epic game.
Anybody know if the translation project is still moving forward?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Falcom is now bringing Ys: Memories of Celceta to the PS4.
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/ys-memories ... 2f0Um0Q.99

XSEED, I'll buy this if you bring it here. You've already got an English translation done... go for it. How about another nice collector's edition like the PS4 ToCS I/II ones? Take my money.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

would love to see it come over here as well