Sky Force Reloaded, what a piece of sh...!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
trap15

Re: Sky Force Reloaded, what a piece of sh...!

Post by trap15 »

Missed that lol, I retract my statement.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I can very well understand that a lot of shmup fans hate Sky Force, but I see it in a positive light. It's great entry point to the whole genre, which suits the mainstream / casual gamers who are probably the target group for the game. It's not even trying to follow any of the traditional shmup designs, the experience and mechanisms are totally different. It's not really player skill, survival or score based at all.

It's also a game, which actually brought me to the hobby after almost 30 years since the last time I played one. I had a lot of fun beating the game on my iPad (I didn't do any gaming at that time)!

So when judging the game on it's own merits, the biggest flaw I see is that early game is very boring and super slow. If you manage to keep yourself motivated and interested to get past that, then it becomes more fun, more firepower, more stages to choose from, upgrades, ships, cards, higher difficults etc. to collect/unlock. A lot of grinding is required, but it can be very relaxing ride.

PS. Avoid the Anniversary one, it's like Reloaded but much less variety in everything and even slower beginning.
louisg

Post by louisg »

GFoyle wrote:I can very well understand that a lot of shmup fans hate Sky Force, but I see it in a positive light. It's great entry point to the whole genre, which suits the mainstream / casual gamers who are probably the target group for the game. It's not even trying to follow any of the traditional shmup designs, the experience and mechanisms are totally different. It's not really player skill, survival or score based at all.

It's also a game, which actually brought me to the hobby after almost 30 years since the last time I played one. I had a lot of fun beating the game on my iPad (I didn't do any gaming at that time)!
That's exactly what Tyrian was for me! I remember around 1997 I was at a small mall, and they had one of the Strikers games and RayStorm, and I was stunned-- I grew up playing stuff like Battle Squadron, Galaga, Thunderforce III, and had NO idea games like this were still being produced (yes, I was one of those people who used to really like Xenon 2. Used to.). I didn't have any next-gen systems, my local arcade had long replaced anything shmuppy with fighting games and redemption machines, and all I saw of the PSX and Saturn were the more-popular 3d games. So, when I got home, I looked around at what was around for my own PC (my only gaming system at the time), and ordered Tyrian on CD. I played that thing for hours, and it was the gateway drug. Soon I'd taken my SNES out of the closet, got Firepower 2000 and Axelay, bought a Genesis, discovered shmups.com, bought a Saturn, etc etc.. and the madness is still going :) So, games like this absolutely can have value, even if we wish they were more finely tuned.
Humans, think about what you have done
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

Sky Force Reloaded and Skyforce Anniversary are two of the most fun and enjoyable shmups that I played in recent years. The gameplay of both is enjoyable and these games have a delightful progression system, with a strong emphasis on upgrades. The graphics are very beautiful, well polished and splendidly colored. I own the versions for PS4 and PC Steam and strongly recommend them for beginners and veterans.
postman

Post by postman »

Even though it seems most people don't like this game at all, if anyone is still playing and wanted tourney friends I recently picked it up on the PS4.

Gamertag is postmanjr.

My take: yes it is very grindy and simplistic, but I liked some of the bosses, the challenge really ramps up in the later difficulties, and once you start unlocking other ships and mechanics there is much more strategy involved.
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
bk_figames

Post by bk_figames »

I thought the skyforce games, for what they were, were well done.
I will say I didn't like that it was ultimately a bit grindy, but there was plenty that I liked about the game. Playing it on mobile, I thought they did a great job adapting it to that platform.

To say that skyforce is not a shmup because it's not a danmaku or involves inertia or doesn't follow a specific set of criteria feels a bit puritanical. I mean don't we want a level of variety in the genre?