Kuro Shield demo

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
max330mega

Kuro Shield demo

Post by max330mega »

SO

Here is a project I have been working on for a few months, with hundreds of hours on it. I started a platform game but the desire to do a shoot is before, so exit the platform and here is a 100% danmaku shoot

so, here comes KURO SHIELD

(add an itchi page ! you can download the latest demo fro free)

https://1guy1room.itch.io/kuroshield

so gameplay level is close to a cave naturally, but with a good share of gigawing. (for now everything is played on the keyboard with arrows and WXCV, but you can use joy2key if you miss the stick):

bouton 1 : fire
bouton 1 hold : laser (as a cave game for sure)
bouton 2 : shield
bouton 3 : autofire
bouton 4 : bomb

Namely that the bomb removes bullets from the screen but does no damage to an enemy, on the other hand it brings the different gauge to zero
The shield is at the heart of the scoring system, but at first glance at the HUD:

1 / a shield for lives (there only one remaining)
2 / the score multiplier gauge
3 / the current multiplier (up to X20)
4 / the remaining bombs
5 / the shield gauge
6 / the score

So basically to score, it is necessary to wait until the gauge of the shield is at the max and to launch the shield, the ship is invincible during a little time during which it is necessary to absorb the enemy bullets to transform them in coins which will make climb the gauge of the score multiplier.

Then, in normal mode, when a ship explodes, if its explosion touches bullets, these bullets are transformed into coins which will be worth 1000 points at the base, multiplied by the current mutiplier (thus 1000 if empty multiplier up to 20000 if at max)

For this demo I made the music from beginning to end (I'm primarily a musician), the FX are drawn (and sometimes modified) from games like Metal slug, r type final, etc ...the ships are actually gundam party assemblies (z generation for example), I have had for dozens of hours. For the explosions it's still slightly modified Slug, dodonpachi for dumplings, sonic, dragon ball, there's everything but very often changed!

For the scenario we will see later, it's done but hey, it's not interesting, moreover in the end it's never interesting.

So, in the end why this demo ?? for you to give me your opinion on what goes, what will not, the stuff to improve or remove, but for pity please do not forget that it is the amateur job of a single guy behind a PC on his time free.

Then please leave your score !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (love)(love)(love)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99i0zavUBkM&t

Last edited by max330mega on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
clippa

Re: Kuro Shield demo

Post by clippa »

I don't know if it's just me, but this is really hard!
I'd like to have the shield gauge fill up quicker and for it to last longer when it's activated.
Feels really good though.
max330mega

Post by max330mega »

thanks for your words.
i m not sure it s pretty hard, but maybe to hard for a first level ?

problem if i change the timing of the shield is that you will be half time of the game invincible. Wait for other players but i keep it in mind.

one more time thanks for playing
max330mega

Post by max330mega »

Risto

Post by Risto »

I like the music, very atmospheric :)

Nice bullets and use of tiling on the background with the city walls.

Here are some things I noticed:
It’s not possible to enter the other menu buttons, are they working? If they are locked it might be an idea to add a denial sound, so the player knows that they are locked.

It would be nice with flashing enemies when you hit them. Some enemies has a lot of hp so it might be worth adding some kind of damage state or a hp bar, to show how much damage the player has dealt to them.

There’s one big enemy that exits the screen forward and deal dmg with a big hit collision, maybe have it exit to the sides instead?

The difficulty level feels more like a level 4 or 5 from dodonpachi, then the first level. The level is also long for a first level, 2:20, compared to ex 1:20 from dodonpachi.

I enjoyed playing the demo and got to the boss a couple of times but I would need 1-2 continues to complete it… :)
max330mega

Post by max330mega »

thanks for your post

so,

1/ yes, the other menu buttons are desactivate for the demo. they will be available on the next demo very soon

2/i thinked about flashing ennemy, but i didn t like the idea, si i need to find somthing different to show the collision

3/ yes, the big ennemy is the mid boss, so for me it s basically : if you didn t kill it on the time, you will lose a life. if you just don t stop firing when it arrive, it will be destroy few second before it start to leave

4/ i don t think it really hard when you know from where ennemy arrived, but i on your side when you said this level is maybe a bit long ahahah

one more time thanks for playing, look at the video and follow this way, i m sure you can « no miss » it in a few try
max330mega

Post by max330mega »

add an itchi page ! you can download the latest demo fro free

https://1guy1room.itch.io/kuroshield
max330mega

Post by max330mega »

a new video for the second level, quite harder...

https://youtu.be/EE2W23Sxduk
max330mega

Post by max330mega »

add some pics ont the first post !!

news: level 1/2/3 completed. Background of level 2 is now for level 4 !!!
max330mega

Post by max330mega »