Any great gaming monitors for 2018?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tongshadow

Re: Any great gaming monitors for 2018?

Post by tongshadow »

strayan wrote:
tongshadow wrote: They also have plenty of scaling options, including 1:1 pixel maping and you can resize it to achieve perfect 2x scaling on some sources :wink:
Are you suggesting they have an integer scaling setting?
Exactly, they do. But, of course, only for resolutions lower than the monitor's native res.
strayan

Post by strayan »

tongshadow wrote:
strayan wrote:
tongshadow wrote: They also have plenty of scaling options, including 1:1 pixel maping and you can resize it to achieve perfect 2x scaling on some sources :wink:
Are you suggesting they have an integer scaling setting?
Exactly, they do. But, of course, only for resolutions lower than the monitor's native res.
I am very skeptical of this and cannot find any corroborating evidence online. Do you have any evidence to share?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

strayan wrote: I am very skeptical of this and cannot find any corroborating evidence online. Do you have any evidence to share?
I think you are being told that a sharp "integer scale" can be achieved using 1:1 rendering.

1:1 pixel mapping is an option on plenty of monitors.

Use OSSC linex4 for 240p and linex2 for 480p. The 960p line doubled output of the OSSC is directly mapped "one to one" inside the 1080p frame. (The 960p appears with underscan.)

On a 1080p screen, you get a "boxed" 960p output that is "integer scaled".

1:1 doesn't do any scaling and the OSSC just line doubles.
We apologise for the inconvenience
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

strayan wrote:I am very skeptical of this and cannot find any corroborating evidence online. Do you have any evidence to share?
Sure, I could take some pictures from my displays but I have found images:

What it does is, exactly what it describes! It will just scale the source signal pixel by pixel. Naturally you will get huge black borders if it's something like 480p or 720p, but you can adjust the size using Smart Scaling. This picture should give you a better idea of what it does:

At 0% you get the original, raw signal scaled dot by dot, with huge black borders. At 100% it covers all the screen, or just the Y-Axis if it's a 4:3 or similar aspect ratio.
So, somewhere between you should get perfect doubled scaling. After a bunch of tests it seems that 80% scales 480p to 960p perfectly, on my BenQ displays.

I dont know what monitors support something like this, but I'd love to know!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

So, somewhere between you should get perfect doubled scaling
usually that's a misconception, since the displays applies the same scaling algorithm to all target sizes and doesn't suddenly switch into a simpler integer scaling mode only because you selected a 200% axis size ratio. You might gain a LITTLE quality by dialing it in, but in most cases it will be far from a perfectly doubled image.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Fudoh wrote:
So, somewhere between you should get perfect doubled scaling
usually that's a misconception, since the displays applies the same scaling algorithm to all target sizes and doesn't suddenly switch into a simpler integer scaling mode only because you selected a 200% axis size ratio. You might gain a LITTLE quality by dialing it in, but in most cases it will be far from a perfectly doubled image.
That's good to know, thanks for clearing it up!

Now I really want to compare how the display handles this kind of scaling compared to a scaler like the OSSC. Atm I just have the XRGB-3 outputting 480p@B1 mode, and I didnt notice scaling artifacts scaling 480p to "supposed 960p" :P
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

We're definitely talking "2019" here but Alienware is making an (LG panel) 55" OLED gaming monitor with G-Sync..
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Out of those, I guess OP would definitely avoid curved monitors and Ultra widescreen.

I'd recommend getting one with Audio Inputs/Outputs and a VGA input, at least.

Also, how good are 2K monitors (2560x1440) for older consoles? 1440p is a perfect integer scaling for 240p (6x), 480p (3x) and 720p (2x).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

tongshadow wrote:
Out of those, I guess OP would definitely avoid curved monitors and Ultra widescreen.

Also, how good are 2K monitors (2560x1440) for older consoles? 1440p is a perfect integer scaling for 240p (6x), 480p (3x) and 720p (2x).
Same problem as 1080p and 4K monitors. Just that they can ideally scale content, doesn't mean they do. Unless you have a source that scales the image to 1440p properly, the display's unlikely to do it for you.

Also why would you recommend making VGA input a criteria when buying a monitor? VGA sources are rare and transcoders are cheap. Severely limiting your monitor choices for that seems weird.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

ZellSF wrote:
tongshadow wrote:

Also why would you recommend making VGA input a criteria when buying a monitor? VGA sources are rare and transcoders are cheap. Severely limiting your monitor choices for that seems weird.
Legacy systems/scalers, and scanline generators, I like having a variety of inputs. :wink:
And sure, it's incredibly rare today on high-end monitors and OP might not see a need for it. But I personally need a VGA input, without having to add yet another transcoder to the chain.