If you could have a sequel to a CAVE Shmup, what would it be

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: If you could have a sequel to a CAVE Shmup, what would i

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote: What if I attempted to grasp the game and I didn't enjoy it at all? Should I torture myself for hours until I can maybe finally start to enjoy it? There are plenty of other shooters I dig, including Cave ones. I don't need to lose myself in awkward controls of two entities at the same time, and potentially game-long combos. My perfect Guwange sequel doesn't even have combos at all.
This, so much. I love everything about Guwange, apart from the game itself.
I die too often controlling one avatar, never mind two.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
zak

Post by zak »

Also, xoxak is a dick :mrgreen:
poptart

Post by poptart »

ReSe2k wrote:@popart

The funny thing though is you being shit at the game yourself and still acting all elitist about it.
am i? how do you know?
trap15 wrote: What is your definition of "playing at all"?
Having any kind of grasp of the fundamentals and you know the GAME by the dictionary definition, come on brap16 pull yourself together son.

Go on lads keep wishing for sequels to games you never even played worth a piss so you can have MORE SICK GRABZ!!!! for your empty vacuous identity starved existence to go with your dork shit collections of figurines and other childish shit in your adult years.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Get this goober outta here.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

...this nonsense is still going on? All parties involved, drop it immediately or I start doling out bans.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

If you're going to say drop it, maybe you should also remove personal attacks or the troublemaker that instigated the bullshit. The "both sides" stuff doesn't make any sense when there's a single antagonist.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

+1 that's way too weak and clueless moderation, not surprised. I've reported him not long ago after he attacked me out of nowhere and afaik he received a warning. Why is he getting away now?
Plus there's like 99% chances it's Cee again, his many alt accounts got banned for reason, it always ends up like this, that guy's batshit insane.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
the1truepickaxe

Post by the1truepickaxe »

Everybody needs to chill. This is a purely hypothetical discussion. We don't need to get salty over something that is completely hypothetical.
zak

Post by zak »

poptart wrote:
Go on lads keep wishing for sequels to games you never even played worth a piss so you can have MORE SICK GRABZ!!!! for your empty vacuous identity starved existence to go with your dork shit collections of figurines and other childish shit in your adult years.
You've opened my eyes dude. I should have been spending all my hard earned on hookers and blow.

I was a real fool for buying these CAVE kits on release (not having God like skills) and supporting the DEV to fund their future projects.

:roll:
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sumez wrote:Ibara, except not fucking Pink Sweets :P
I'm gonna be somewhat antagonistic here and say PINK SWEETS 2: PINKER SWEETS. I am all in on the theme and characters, even if the mechanics kinda irritate me. Or maybe we can all be happy and just have a the series branch into two paths: a non-Sweets Ibara sequel AND my dumb wish. I also suck at all flavors of Ibara, so if I can't want more pinksanity because of that, so be it!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Oh I'm not hating on people for digging Pink Sweets. It's its own little microcosm of odd STG descisions. It's just not what you'd expect for a follow-up to Ibara.
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

Sumez wrote:Oh I'm not hating on people for digging Pink Sweets. It's its own little microcosm of odd STG descisions. It's just not what you'd expect for a follow-up to Ibara.
If you consider Ibara a follow up to Battle Garegga then Pink Sweets is just the next logical step :wink: :mrgreen:
the1truepickaxe

Post by the1truepickaxe »

ReSe2k wrote:
Sumez wrote:Oh I'm not hating on people for digging Pink Sweets. It's its own little microcosm of odd STG descisions. It's just not what you'd expect for a follow-up to Ibara.
If you consider Ibara a follow up to Battle Garegga then Pink Sweets is just the next logical step :wink: :mrgreen:
Pink sweets came about as a result of negative backlash from cave fans in response to Ibara. So Yagawa wanted to take out the things about Ibara that people didn't like.

The only problem is that he didn't add anything in to replace those mechanics.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Akai Katana by a country mile. I adore Mushi but we got Futari already. I'd be super interested in seeing how an Akai Katana 2 could turn out (as long as it was closer to Shin than vanilla AK).
Last edited by Oniros on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

PS is a follow-up to Ibara in story only. As far as mechanics go it is a follow-up to Recca, really.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Well, it has that bomb shield thing at least
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I'd love to see them remaster the first two DoDonPachi games.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Bees are fuzzy.

Esprade. But composed by k.h.d.n. Play Esprade with the Illvelo soundtrack for a while, it'll start to make sense. (Might wanna use Illvelo stage 4 BGM for Esprade stage 5.)
the1truepickaxe wrote:Pink sweets came about as a result of negative backlash from cave fans in response to Ibara. So Yagawa wanted to take out the things about Ibara that people didn't like.

The only problem is that he didn't add anything in to replace those mechanics.
Muchi Muchi Pork is the only game that even sounds like this description, and it most certainly added things to replace what it took out.

PinkSweets is completely different. It's meant as a followup to Recca, rather than making yet another followup to Battle Garegga.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah it's hard to imagine Pink Sweets being designed as a reaction to negative feedback. That game pretty much invited negative feedback. :P
Ibara, meanwhile, is amazing. It's like a smoother version of Garegga, and the world needs more of that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

finisherr wrote:Definitely Progear or Ketsui.
this
Xyga wrote: Plus there's like 99% chances it's Cee again
and this haha. Various similarities.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

even though I like all of Cave's potfolio, I believe the game that deserved a sequel the most is Guwange, just because it's such a unique, different title with very specific mechanics
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Didn't you hear that you can't say Guwange?
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

Another Ketsui would be awesome!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Speaking as a scrub here, it's hard to think of what another DoDonPachi could do that wasn't already done by the previous DDPs. I love ESPGaluda, but what would an ESPGaluda 3 give? At most these games could have a neat arrange mode, like KetsuiPachi. Those are practically sequels anyway: new music, new bullet patterns, a new TLB in there for them hardcores.

If there are any shmup developers left at Cave they should just try something different like a top-down multi-directional shooter or something. Take a sub-sub-genre that doesn't have a whole lot of hits and make one.
Despatche wrote: Esprade. But composed by k.h.d.n. Play Esprade with the Illvelo soundtrack for a while, it'll start to make sense. (Might wanna use Illvelo stage 4 BGM for Esprade stage 5.)
Maybe ESPRaDe, if anything. The mechanics are so wonky and weird that it's hard to know what point they serve (hit 'em with yer splatter shot). Like maybe there's a great idea there underneath the obtuse mechanics - or ideas that weren't just poached for the Galuda series.
OlDirty wrote:Another Ketsui would be awesome!
It's called Deathtiny, dude.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I didn't really want to bump this, but I accidentally found this while accidentally clicking back to find people realizing poptart is just clp again. Because, surprise, he submitted scores under the name clp. Did he ever make another account? I haven't been keeping up.

I bumped this because I just wanna say that Espgaluda Arrange is fucking awesome. It's better than Espgaluda II while also being the closest thing we'll ever get to an Esprade followup. I just wish I didn't have to use the arrange soundtrack while playing it, I don't really care for it. Anyway, play Espgaluda Arrange, please.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
marus

Post by marus »

Espgaluda Arrange is my favorite Cave arrange by far. If you like the mechanics of Espgaluda but thought it was too easy, then you owe it to yourself to try it out. I just wish it had a practice mode like what's available for the main game.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Marc wrote:
Sumez wrote: What if I attempted to grasp the game and I didn't enjoy it at all? Should I torture myself for hours until I can maybe finally start to enjoy it? There are plenty of other shooters I dig, including Cave ones. I don't need to lose myself in awkward controls of two entities at the same time, and potentially game-long combos. My perfect Guwange sequel doesn't even have combos at all.
Tried again and again to get into it because aesthetically, it's great. Just turns out it's no fun for me, which is also due to having to controls two player sprites. Such an odd mechanic...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I'll take Feveron and Ketsui.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
Marc wrote:
Tried again and again to get into it because aesthetically, it's great. Just turns out it's no fun for me, which is also due to having to controls two player sprites. Such an odd mechanic...
Yeah, I really want to like it but it's a 'no' from me too for the same reasons.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'd love a conventional 2D shooter from the again. Like ESP rade. I'm talking conventional sprites not gameplay necessarily.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.