Ketsui Coming to PS4 ?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
djsheep

Re: Ketsui Coming to PS4 ?!

Post by djsheep »

DoomsDave wrote:Nah it was a comp, maybe a DMC(?) in early 2000s. I'm mates with some old obese crew and would tag along to a bunch of shit. I was really into lyrical commission at the time and j-red was in something at the same show. I can't remember much but your name stuck out. Hip hop and shmups, good taste.
Nice, that would have definitely been the 2003 DMC Australian Finals. That night was a ball! There's a handful of legit hip-hop shmup peeps I've met about too. Nice to meet you!
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

Rejoice players, its finally arrived. Can't help but think the Shumps forum had something to do with this release: 2 for 2 now, can't be to all those who contribute quality to this here website.

On that note, can I expect English menu translations for Ketsui like as Garegga and Dangun recieved? That would be amazing. About to fire it up for the first time right now after this post goes up. I dunno, is a 1cc in my future? Quite possibly! Came close on Dangun; played the hell out of it, but never did manage to put it all together. Dabbled a bit with Garegga which of course is amazing, but the whole rank control aspect of the game puts me off a bit. Played the first level of Ketsui quite a bit on Mame, years ago but always felt the emulation was a bit too buggy to do the game justice.

Aiight! Go time baby. whew! popped an adderall, fresh pot of coffee; my tv is in tate mode and my hori/sanwa joystick is plugged in. HypHypHypHypHyper-system! Peace.
'twas in times of old / as eagles screamed // and holy streams flowed / from the Heaven-Fells
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

The amazon edition is waiting for me at home as I type. I'd be more stoked if I had access to a portrait set up right now, but hopefully it'll be playable enough on a 35" monitor.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

how to play PS4 in CRT?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

third_strike wrote:how to play PS4 in CRT?
Use a good hdmi to vga converter

Make sure the converter does not crush blacks
Good one would be a Tendak
Don't get the cheap dollar ones they are terrible

What I found to be good about the ps4 is that the screen isn't squashed to fit the 4:6 screen

All you have to do is adjust the screen by moving it using your monitor settings

Benefits of this is reduced shimmer with the pre-set in game settings
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

I am asking for a option to an CRT TV
An lagless opition
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Your only real option is gonna be a late-model CRT that has an HDMI input

otherwise you're gonna have to get some form of HDMI-AV converter
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

drunkninja24 wrote:Your only real option is gonna be a late-model CRT that has an HDMI input
Not lagless even in that case, barring some 1080i hidden service mode shenanigans some TVs had.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I was messing around with the standard Arcade mode last night, and getting quickly overwhelmed with the bullet spam past stage 2 or so. It was suggested to me to try Deathtiny mode instead (thanks Mark_MSX!), and somehow I managed to 1CC that on my first try! I suspect it's a bit of a Christmas miracle, as I'm just not that good at danmaku, but it was a pretty exhilarating trip, nonetheless!

DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Nice work!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

drunkninja24 wrote:Your only real option is gonna be a late-model CRT that has an HDMI input

otherwise you're gonna have to get some form of HDMI-AV converter
Those late HD CRTs lag. Mine lags about 3 frames. I don't even think the PS4 can output standard definition though.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

FRO wrote:I was messing around with the standard Arcade mode last night, and getting quickly overwhelmed with the bullet spam past stage 2 or so. It was suggested to me to try Deathtiny mode instead (thanks Mark_MSX!), and somehow I managed to 1CC that on my first try! I suspect it's a bit of a Christmas miracle, as I'm just not that good at danmaku, but it was a pretty exhilarating trip, nonetheless!

great stuff, send some of the X-mas miracle this way could you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Nice work FRO. Haven't played DT mode outside of the cursory look at the first stage to get a feel for the mechanics. Seems like a lot of fun though.

In my limited few hours with Ketsui I've started to get a decent feel for stage one. Can usually no miss it and my score is now in double digits. Stage two I'm less familiar with though I have been able to get passed the mid boss on my first life and I've seen my way on to stage three.

I haven't been credit feeding, but when I clear a stage I'll allow myself a save state so I can practice it. Brilliant addition on M2's part. I generally like one at the start of each stage (even stage one - I don't need to pick the same ship over and over), mid boss, and boss. Makes the game seem far less daunting when I can save state practice it all I want. If I do manage a better score then I'll replace the save states.

The furthest I've been is stage three's boss. Stage three is a shit show right now, but I've only played it twice.

I did manage to get the 1 UP from the mid boss though:D
My lord, I have come for you.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

So what's different exactly about IKD 2007/Matsuri mode? As far as I can tell,

-Your firepower is heavily buffed
-You spawn with only 1 bomb
-Chip rate distances are adjusted so you have to be much closer to enemies to get 5 chips
-The requirements for the second round according to the m2 gadget seems to involve having more 5 chips than 1 chips collected

Anything else I'm not getting here?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

cave hermit wrote:So what's different exactly about IKD 2007/Matsuri mode? As far as I can tell,

-The requirements for the second round according to the m2 gadget seems to involve having more 5 chips than 1 chips collected
I thought IKD was a one round game?
Zaarock wrote:IKD 2007 arrange seems great for a 1-loop mode too. I noticed you need to be in super close proximity to get 5-chips.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I have no clue, but I just assumed that since the M2 gadget that normally shows second loop qualifications changed specifically for IKD mode, second loop existed in IKD mode. Could be that the gadget no longer represented second loop in IKD mode and was just being re-purposed for some other weird IKD exclusive mechanic.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

I think you get a 1up for every stage you complete with more 5 chips than 1 chips
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

FRO wrote:I was messing around with the standard Arcade mode last night, and getting quickly overwhelmed with the bullet spam past stage 2 or so. It was suggested to me to try Deathtiny mode instead (thanks Mark_MSX!), and somehow I managed to 1CC that on my first try! I suspect it's a bit of a Christmas miracle, as I'm just not that good at danmaku, but it was a pretty exhilarating trip, nonetheless!

Nice. Try using the practice modes to learn Arcade mode.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

First half of stage four is coming along. Need to work out the 2nd half though.
yosai

Post by yosai »

third_strike wrote:how to play PS4 in CRT?
I haven't tried on a CRT but I have connected my PS4 to my SD projector a few years back.

Disable HDCP > Set video format to 480p > HDMI > HDFury > VGA > Projector

I can't guarantee all your games would run properly and I vaguely remember issues trying to read text but it worked fine.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

How do you actually access practice mode? I couldn't figure out much besides game mode/bgm selection and the standard M2 shottrigger UI.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

cave hermit wrote:How do you actually access practice mode? I couldn't figure out much besides game mode/bgm selection and the standard M2 shottrigger UI.
It's the "Arcade Challenge" option on the bottom half of the main menu screen (the one that shows Arcade / Super Easy / Deathtiny / IDK 2007 Mode on the top part of the screen - hit the Options button when you're in some of the menus to back out to the main menu screen). Has options for each section of each stage: ST1 part 1, midboss, part 2, boss, etc., then full stage for each stage. Have to clear the earlier chunks to unlock the next part. The main menu option to the right of Arcade Challenge are little mini-challenges with a limited amount of retries. Think stuff like a 20 second snippet of a level.
cave hermit wrote:So what's different exactly about IKD 2007/Matsuri mode? As far as I can tell,

-Your firepower is heavily buffed
-You spawn with only 1 bomb
-Chip rate distances are adjusted so you have to be much closer to enemies to get 5 chips

Anything else I'm not getting here?
It's a single loop, ending with Evacaneer Doom (TLB). Can't continue on Doom either (IIRC, the menu option is locked), so good luck.
evil_ash_xero wrote:The Basicscape and Virt Soundtracks are really good. The Orchestral Soundtrack for MD almost made it a new game for me (as weird as that is to say).

I wonder what they'll do for ESP Ra.de.? They're doing some kicking stuff with the soundtracks (most of them).
I also love what they've been doing with the remixed soundtracks with all of the ShotTriggers releases. The chibi-tech mix for Dangun Feveron is among my favorite game soundtracks ever, and I often play the game JUST to jam out to it. All of the Garegga remixes are fantastic, etc...

That being said, gonna give an opinion some people might find blasphemous...I think the Virt soundtrack for Ketsui is the worst remix of the three in this release. My favorite by far is the Daisuke Matsumoto mix, with the Basiscape one coming in 2nd place. The Virt soundtrack isn't BAD, but I just don't feel that it has that much personality of its own, it kinda plays things too close to the original Manabu Namiki tracks (other than the addition of some hair metal guitar that I don't especially love). I do love a lot of Virt's work (just got notification that my Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment vinyl shipped to me yesterday!), but this one wasn't a direct hit for me.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

The Virt remix is so boring. Shoving a few buttrock guitars in to the mix is the laziest kind of rearrange. But even the Mastsumoto arrangement is pretty tepid. It would have been great to hear something completely different. I like the originals woozy arepeggios but something completely out of leftfield, like the crazy awesome Daifukatsu Black Label soundtrack would have been awesome.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

^^_ Yeah, I haven't been digging the remix soundtracks much either. They're not bad, just a bit boring IMO. I've been chalking that up to the fact that the orginal soundtrack from Namiki is such a stone-cold classic. You really can't fuck with it.
-
also seems obvious that the original music was diligently tailored to many of the in-game happenings. Seriously doubt that was the case as much for the two remixers.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Can't get into any of the remixes either. Stereo arrange is so good through a nice pair of headphones:D
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

So are we just never getting this in the west? I have a JP PSN account but it would be more convenient to have it here. I feel like M2's decided to just pack up and leave when it comes to these because people probably looked at the price tag for Dangun/Garegga and didn't bother.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

^keep in mind that there were many months between Garegga/Feveron releasing in Japan and coming west, so us not having Ketsui yet is normal.

What is a little alarming, is that it's been more than a year wait for Sorcer Striker, with no hinting whatsoever. I'm afraid if we don't get that one, then the english ports might be done.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Even more odd - Mahou Daisakusen has full English trophies despite not having an actual English region release. It sure seems like they planned on doing one, and just haven't gotten around to it/changed their minds.
febas

Post by febas »

Hi scrilla4rella, I have one question:

How to connect PS3 joystick to the game? I have QANBA q4 RAF..I need brook converter?

Tks!
scrilla4rella wrote:I got mine on Friday (Amazon.co.jp was fast AF). So far I've only played arcade mode.

One huge glaring disappointment is that the disclaimer on startup now ends with, 'full extent of the law'. WTF!? The Jam will not be silenced!! :evil:

Other than that it's an amazing release. The visuals, sound, and input lag seem improved over the 360 port (based on my subjective and unscientific tests). Everything just has more heft. In particular I've been enjoying the stereo remix of the soundtrack (Namiki fucking ownz!!). It motivated me to hook up my DAC/headphone amp to the PS4 for my Senheiser HD6XX headphones. Sounds amaze-balls!

Also works great with my Hori PS3 arcade stick.
FEB

Twich : shmup_feb

MUSHIHIMESAMA FANS!!
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

PS3 sticks should work natively with Ketsui Deathtiny, as well as other M2 games.