What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Nearing the end now. The game really ramps up in the 2nd half in multiple ways. This is the VC sequel I always wanted. Doesn't re-invent the wheel but adds interesting touches and changes to the game. I like the simplifications of character classes as well as the addition of grenadiers. I don't like how there are missions where there is obviously more to them but you can't possibly know what is going to happen until after you complete the objective then the parameters change. The issue with this is it's possible to play well and screw yourself badly once the mission changes and new (sometimes invincible) enemy units come in. Of course once you know the jig is up and it's very easy to plan accordingly. Just kind of feels a bit cheap in that regard.

The story is definitely darker than the original. I like most of the characters, particularly the villains. Those loli killing machines crack me up.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Octopath Traveler

Never played JRPGs back in the day so don't really have anything retro to compare this with, but I am having the best time with this game.

Going around recruiting your party is a gentle introduction to the game's mechanics and gradually scales up the difficulty as you fill out your party. It's a shame this isn't applied to main story chapters though, because you're pretty much locked in to doing everyone's chapter 1, then everyone's chapter 2 etc. - or you grind to follow a character's storyline and end up overpowered for the others.

It has a really nice atmosphere, with the semi-retro art style, detailed environment as a whole and a thoroughly excellent musical score. On top of that, side characters and even simple NPCs often have a lot of personality, while the brief interactions between your party members are usually cute and lighthearted. The story is subtle in the way it connects the various characters and it seems this is what a lot of reviewers disliked, but each tale is (so far) strong enough and builds a common thread through revealing lore.

The battle system, in addition to being well introduced, is easy to grasp and presents you with diverse enemies as to encourage you to balance your party. You very quickly unlock a tonne of skills to play with that are fun to use and experiment with. Not found any requirement for grinding, as long as you don't abuse fast travel, ignore side quests or equip someone early on with a particular skill to reduce random encounters. Working out quick ways to take down rare Cait enemies for tonnes of EXP points helps though!

Only negative so far is how much of a personality vacuum one of your characters (Alfyn) seems to be.

Super Mario Odyssey

3D platforming is still awkward but at least full camera control puts this less awkward than 3D Land on the 3DS. A few stages in and it's a fun little sandbox environment, plenty of hidden things to discover although pretty light on challenge - you get a tonne of health and there's no real penalty for failure to force you to tighten up your skills. It's well-crafted fun, exactly as you'd expect from a Mario game, but....

Wow, Nintendo are really trying to make motion controls a thing again. Undermines the concept of the Switch if the tutorial is telling you all these abilities you can only use with detatched joy cons. There's an option to disable motion controls but... erm... yeah, that doesn't actually give you another way to perform said abilities - well, it turns out there are some alternative ways to pull off some of them but the game doesn't bother to tell you, people have discovered them. Poor show, considering how many buttons are unused. Baffling decision that one.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Odyssey's motion controls are very easily ignorable. Like you can jump just a little bit higher as a frog or climb a pole just a little bit faster with flicking instead of button pressing, for example, but it's never required as far as I can tell.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

There are probably other ways, but I think a couple of the endgame moon rock moons are set up for you to use the motion control features.

But yeah mostly they are all just a way to sort of add that extra "make the game a tad more lenient" with a waggle, that I didn't personally ever use with the exception of aforementioned instances.
It definitely doesn't feel like Nintendo are pushing it with this.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Thus far I've been reminded about the homing cap throw between every stage, a move that's not possible without motion controls. Each time you launch the game it opens with a static screen telling you detached joycons is the way to go. It definitely feels like they're pushing the motion controls. The spin throw is super-useful and possible (albeit awkward) without motion, but is totally undocumented in-game.

It's just frustrating to have things gated off like this to a single control method and regularly reminded of that fact in-game, when it would be just as easy to map the action to an unused button. This isn't the Wii.

It's far from Skyward Sword levels of annoyance with motion control implementation but it has taken the shine off it a little for me, especially given how simple it would have been to add button mapping to avoid it entirely. And how great it is otherwise.
Steamflogger Boss

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Octopath Traveler

Never played JRPGs back in the day so don't really have anything retro to compare this with, but I am having the best time with this game.

Going around recruiting your party is a gentle introduction to the game's mechanics and gradually scales up the difficulty as you fill out your party. It's a shame this isn't applied to main story chapters though, because you're pretty much locked in to doing everyone's chapter 1, then everyone's chapter 2 etc. - or you grind to follow a character's storyline and end up overpowered for the others.

It has a really nice atmosphere, with the semi-retro art style, detailed environment as a whole and a thoroughly excellent musical score. On top of that, side characters and even simple NPCs often have a lot of personality, while the brief interactions between your party members are usually cute and lighthearted. The story is subtle in the way it connects the various characters and it seems this is what a lot of reviewers disliked, but each tale is (so far) strong enough and builds a common thread through revealing lore.

The battle system, in addition to being well introduced, is easy to grasp and presents you with diverse enemies as to encourage you to balance your party. You very quickly unlock a tonne of skills to play with that are fun to use and experiment with. Not found any requirement for grinding, as long as you don't abuse fast travel, ignore side quests or equip someone early on with a particular skill to reduce random encounters. Working out quick ways to take down rare Cait enemies for tonnes of EXP points helps though!

Only negative so far is how much of a personality vacuum one of your characters (Alfyn) seems to be.
I absolutely loved this game. A superb JRPG with combat that had me hooked from the start. Glad to see someone else enjoying it. The true final boss is really worth doing imo. I actually died on that and had to change my strategy (I refused to check online for strategies) then I beat it.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

James Bond OO7: The Duel (Mega Drive)

Some critics need their game reviewing licence revoked- it's actually decent. While a platformer, this isn't meant to be a Rolling Thunder/Shinobi type game. Instead of rushing the enemies down, you have to catch them off guard. If one's coming towards the ladder that you're at the top of, let him double back first then climb up once he's gone- then lie in wait to blow him away when he comes back. Matt Furniss' BGM for this is some great work.
BrianC wrote:wow. I can't believe I haven't seen their Judge Dredd arcade game. I thought they only did the pinball. I looked it up and looks pretty bad mix of MK and a beat 'em up. I do like the cheesy voices, though.
JD was a prototype that never got a wide release. I think it was probably 1 stage away from being completed, since instead of a real ending it'll say "Death is coming". The total play length is maybe a little over 1/2 hour. There were maybe 4 units made before it got canned due to not doing so good at the loketests.
https://www.retroist.com/2018/05/11/jud ... cade-game/
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Motion controls also work with attached joycons and the pro controller in Oddessy, but some moves are harder to pull off. Haven't tested to see how they work with the hori dpad controller instead of a left joycon.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Thus far I've been reminded about the homing cap throw between every stage, a move that's not possible without motion controls.
Eh. I got every single moon in the game, and I don't think I used the homing throw even once. It immediately seemed to me that this was mostly a clutch to people who maybe aren't very good at video games, and the game really does nothing to push the fact that you can do it.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

After years of neglect I decided to go back to GTA V to finish the missions, Trevor never fails to make me smile . love that guy :)
Marc

Post by Marc »

I actually found detached JoyCons and the odd motion control by far the most natural way to play the game. Just seems suited to it ad the motions are generally unobtrusive.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
RiderKick

Post by RiderKick »

Pinball FX3- Looking at the trailer for the upcoming Demon's Tilt game made me go back to this and buy the Williams Tables and...they're fun, i just seem to have trouble finding a camera angle i enjoy to play with the new tables, but Medieval Madness, Junkyard and Attack From Mars are still really awesome, even if i wish it weren't so easy to lose balls in the latter.

Slay The Spire- Totally in love for this roguelite deckbuilding game, it's funny, usually i hate card games, but i have already spent 83 hours playing this game and still feel like playing more, the recent modding support update also doesn't help, even moreso because there are already Touhou characters with Touhou based decks available but now i just wish that modders would do more shump based characters and decks.

Fight'N Rage- Suprisingly good indie beat'em up, it's really fun, lots of stuff to unlock, routes and it's just fun kicking some mutant ass.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Still playing Bayonetta. Just beat the superboss of the game with only the Handguns (the ones that disable Wicked Weaves). Used Pulley's Butterfly and Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. Would've been a Pure Platinum had I not gotten hit once at the very end of the fight and dropped to a Gold rank (I got hit by the one attack that destroys your lifebar).

Now to do the secret chapter with only Handguns...
Leandro wrote:RE 3 is easily the weakest of these games for me. The Nemesis battles are frustrating. He moves too fast and dishes out too much damage for tank controls. I know they are skippable
No complaining about RE3 being a weak game on the basis that you're forcing yourself to fight optional fights the game specifically encourages you to run from. There is only one boss in the entire game you have to deal direct damage to with weapons in the middle of the game, the rest can all be run from or there are environmental tools. This is part of the reason why it's the easiest game in the series to do knife-only.

There's also the dodge, and quickturn mechanics which were introduced here. Mastery of the dodge mechanic timing makes Nemesis considerably easier. He's still tricky early on when resources are limited, but when you get better at dodging and reading his attacks as well as learning where he can get stuck on terrain (which is totally OK to abuse) Nemesis is quite manageable. By the middle of the game, you can get sufficient resources that you can reliably take on Nemesis (enhanced handgun rounds and freeze rounds really help), and there's one or two encounters where you can knock him out and take his bonus item without having to kill him with ammunition if you choose wisely.

RE3's combat is vastly more polished than RE2, which is what makes it super fun to replay, along with the Mercenaries mode. RE3 is to RE2 what Silent Hill 3 was to Silent Hill 2: the plot and setting are not necessarily as interesting or engaging, but the gameplay and combat engine are significantly refined and more enjoyable.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Silent hill 3's combat is a total chore imo; I waffled at length about this in the specific thread.
bullet sponges galore, melee is next to useless.

.. still i want to do a melee only clear of the game trying to kill as many enemies as possible.
That's a weird kind of masochism.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Melee's not terrible when you get used to blocking. Guns are generally better to use, but if you learn the blocking timing on stuff (or how to dodge when it comes to bosses, who generally use unblockable attacks) it's pretty decent. Silent Hill 2 had a similar blocking system but the unintuitive controls (you can't block when a weapon is readied if I recall, and there's no obvious animation to show the timing) and large number of enemies whose attacks cannot be blocked (including the first enemy) means it gets much less mileage than in Silent Hill 3.

I only figured out how to use block in SH2 after multiple playthroughs, and even then, SH2 for PS2 determines if you overhead or thrust the weapon based on the pressure sensitive buttons, which is awful. SH3 does 3 different attacks for most weapons based on if you tap, hold, or hold + forward on the attack button.

When you beat SH2 or SH3 a few times and get a huge bullet adjust multiplier to play with you can disregard melee (unless you want 10-Star ranking which requires a number of ranged and melee kills), though in SH3 there are still several situations when melee is still very effective even in the much harder unlockable difficulties:
Spoiler
The pipe's ability to strafe and quick attack is helpful in a couple of situations such as smacking dogs as they jump at you or dealing with the second boss in the game along with the silenced pistol.

The maul is always effective on Slurpers, using beef jerky to lure them in place first.

The katana's ability to double hit enemies with the overhead slash is super useful on nurses, insane cancers, and MoA. The forward stab is also useful for quick pokes or as a counter after a block.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah. That might be it, after having played 2 much more exhaustively i went into 3 disregarding blocking entirely.
Aha yeah i discovered the jerky+maul combo in my recent playthrough, very satisfying.

That double-hit with the katana.. huh? You mean you can get two overheads in? or one overhead hits... twice?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The katana's overhead attack can hit twice on enemies. You hear the enemy's grunt of pain twice, and if the first hit doesn't stagger them, the second one can. This works best on tall/larger enemies and when you're up in their face (swinging overhead at a distance may only connect once). The easiest example is on Insane Cancers (the fat guys) as they've got a huge hitbox and aren't super fast.

Obviously in most cases, shotgun blasts at close range are safer than the katana as it can easily knockdown the enemy (unlike the katana), and there are some enemies you absolutely do not want to take on in melee (pendulums, the later versions of closers that are faster and have a new attack). However with good blocking timing, the katana is really strong up close and totally viable for lots of enemies. You take a slight amount of damage when blocking but it's like 5% of the damage (I remember the game manual mentions you take 5% blocking with a weapon equipped and 10% without, even though there is never a reason to go unequipped). When playing with the life & stamina bar visible, you can see just how negligible the damage you take when blocking is compared to eating the full hit. You can also cancel a successful blocking animation fairly quick into an attack as a counterattack.

I can't remember if the katana's forward thrust attack can hit twice, but I don't think it can. I still remember it being useful though.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Fight 'n Rage

This game is INSAAAAAANE!

Best belt-scroller on PC.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

^Intriguing

Played a few levels of Doom64. This is surprisingly good.
would've preferred some music to ambience though.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mischief Maker wrote:Fight 'n Rage

In case anyone's interested, this one just released on GOG and is currently half off.

I'm nowhere near versed enough in beat-em-ups to judge this one objectively, but I can still say that I'm impressed by what I've played, especially since this is apparently one of those titles made by a really small team, and it easily outshines a lot of higher-profile stuff.
Steamflogger Boss

Got the true ending for VC4. I wasn't sure if I was going to bother, but the final mission is hilariously easy and the regular ending kinda sucks.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Mastery of the dodge mechanic timing makes Nemesis considerably easier.
The dodge is only useful to evade his Rocket launcher shots. Otherwise, I learned that is much better to evade his attacks by running towards him on the side that his arm is exposed, as if you dodge there's no time to shoot back.
This game could have done without the dodge mechanic actually , several times I wanted to shoot a pack of Hunters or dogs and she kept dodging one and eating the attack of other. Lots of complaints on the internet about the same issue.
There's also the environmetal tools, good luck aiming at them reliably. The valves at the second to last Nemesis fight seem impossible to hit when you want to hit them, same on the lamp posts on the Grave Digger fight. Good thing by that point of the game we can just cheese them with all the ammo and weapons, but it sucks that the game presents another way to kill them and it's unreliable because of the clunky controls and bad object hitbox placement.

What I really liked about the game is the setting actually, I loved the city and the backgrounds, the art design team really did a great job with all the details, drawings and angles. Still a worthy game to play for anyone who enjoys the classic games.

RE Remake HD = RE2 > Code Veronica > RE 0 HD > RE 3

I didn't play the first Resident Evil. It's been almost two decades that I played CV also, so maybe it's better than I am remembering, but I'm fresh out of all the others.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

If you haven't played the original Resident Evil and have a particular fondness for the classic portion of the series, I think you owe it to yourself to. I really feel it's the best of the PS1 games and is only second to its remake; RE2 and 3 making ammo less scarce made them less interesting as survival games.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

While you are correct Leandro that it can be frustrating sometimes for the dodge to outprioritize the shoot command ( which is something you can overcome by learning enemy positions and firing early), the rest of your post suggests you may not be aware of a few things:

• You can dodge while running; if you think you are about to be hit, if you run while holding the shoot button, tapping the aim button / R1 will dodge if you timed it right. This can be very useful if done correctly such as if Nemmy takes a swing at you and you're not quite out of the way.

• If you look at the options in-game, R1 is for auto aiming at enemies wheras R2 auto aims at environmental weapons such as explosive barrels and the valves, etc. Use R2 when you wish to hit these. Having beaten RE3 a good dozen times (including knife only) I can tell you there are no accuracy issues with environmental tools when you use R2 to auto-aim. If you disable auto-aiming, which is not recommended, well you're on your own. ^^;
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Thanks for the tips Roo, I really didn't know about the other aiming button, lol... Going to remember them for my next playthrough. I want to at least get an A in this since I like to get S and A in all of the classic REs

-----

I'm current playing Zelda Twilight Princess, liking the creepiness and wackyness of it a lot... These Zelda games never disappoint me
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Any time! I can easily see how you'd have trouble if you weren't aware. The R2 button I believe will aim at enemies, but it tries to aim at environmental weapons first and if there are none, then it will select an enemy to aim at, so it's easy to see how you could miss that there is a difference between the two aim buttons.

-

I'm currently playing Bayonetta, working on getting a Pure Platinum of the secret chapter. It's quite long and grueling (a full run is about 1 hour and 20 mins...) and there's a fair bit of tricky fights in it. One thing you can do for the last few bosses is an AI exploit where if they are off-camera they will not rush you or attack you and you can cheese them with a specific weapon, but I'm specifically avoiding that strategy cause it's way, way too abusable. You turn what is supposed to be an epic set of fights into a laughable joke that way. I'm pretty close actually to getting it, got the first 4/5ths of the chapter down, just the last Verse to get good at.

The last few fights are so long I have trouble keeping magic up for my shield, but I have discovered that in addition to taunting (which is dangerous as the bosses tend to rush you if you taunt), that the katana's charge also stops magic from being drained when you are in the charge animation so I may use the katana to help with keeping magic up. The shield (Pulley's Butterfly) also drains relative to how many butterflies are active - if you purposefully soak a medium strength hit that leaves you with 2 or 3 butterflies left you actually get much slower drain than at 5 butterflies.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Durandal wrote:Anyone knows how CrossCode stacks up to something like Ys Origin or Oath?
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm still learning the mechanics and things are smoother than I first thought.

EDIT 2: You can see for yourself by playing the in-browser demo! (Although the default keyboard controls are garbage)
Last edited by Mischief Maker on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:Fight 'n Rage

In case anyone's interested, this one just released on GOG and is currently half off.

I'm nowhere near versed enough in beat-em-ups to judge this one objectively, but I can still say that I'm impressed by what I've played, especially since this is apparently one of those titles made by a really small team, and it easily outshines a lot of higher-profile stuff.
I think one person made the game, and another music (which is ace).

Had this on steam, but didn't hesitate to pick it up on gog (helps that I got both on sale). One of my favorite games from the past few years. It's really that good.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2

This game has consumed so much of my life. Four years playing it now, but gold rank still eludes me. I'm getting better, though my results don't always show it. I'm so happy to be in Korea, and to be able to find people to play with at any time. It must be tough for fans of the game living in Europe or parts of the states.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Marc

Post by Marc »

God, why do I do this to myself? The backlog grows ever larger and I finish Yakuza 6, then instantly jump into New Game + on Yakuza 0. 6 was pretty snappy at 26 hours, though I barely bothered with Clan Creator or Baseball. CC wasn't my bag, and the baseball I flat out sucked at. Think I actually prefer the snappier feel of 0 and there seems to be a lot more environmental/rage attacks. I'd forgotten about weapons altogether, didn't even look into using them in 6, if you could at all? It's wiped all my scores on the coin-ops though which is a bummer, thought they might carry over at least. Trying to convince myself I'm not going to play this through to the end this time, but I already know I'm talking crap, since I found Pocket Racing this time and never managed to dive into the Club minigame as much as I'd have liked. Was gonna pick up Resi 2 at the end of the month, but the combination of starting this again and being slightly disappointed with the demo means I may as well wait for the price to drop and pick up Monster Boy or Mario Deluxe for Switch instead.
Oh and Cursed Castilla EX - love it, probably prefer it to the two Ghouls 'n' Ghosts games at present (four stages in so far).
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell