Enemies That Scare You

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obscura

Re: Enemies That Scare You

Post by Obscura »

Blinge wrote:Yeah Jailers are exactly what I was talking about! Horror inspired design and gameplay dread. There's something so unfair about them jailers, I'm still not quite sure what causes the HP reduction from them.

Haunts.. Man It's been a while, do they keep getting back up? I couldn't ever handle respawning enemies as a kid, It'd scare me off the game completely, not being able to make an area safe. In fact as a nipper I never trusted the ReDeads to stay re-dead even though they do.
The Jailers HP reduction is them looking at you. Break LOS, or creep up behind them, and it won't happen.

The re-spawning enemies in Thief were the standard Zombies (they could actually be killed with holy water arrows or fire arrows, but those were both rare enough resources that you couldn't deal with all of them that way). They're kinda scary, but the Haunts were the bastards that looked like skeleton versions of the standard Hammer guards, but ran faster than you and had swords instead of hammers and were immune to blackjacking and made crazy sounds.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Obscura wrote:made crazy sounds.
HUHP
YEEEAHP
OLD MAN PLEASE
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Durandal wrote:
Obscura wrote:made crazy sounds.
HUHP
YEEEAHP
OLD MAN PLEASE
...?

If these sounds wouldn't put put you on edge when uttered by a monstrously lethal creature that you're trying to sneak around in dark corners, I'm not sure what would...
BIL

Post by BIL »

A pair of run enders you'll thank your deity of choice don't appear any further into their games than they do (both st4 bosses, coincidentally).

Golden Babylon (Holy Diver)

My former employer put it better than I could ever hope to.
Punished Dr. Biruford wrote:"The boss shoots nonstop from point-blank at random intervals! And one hit will dump 'em in the pit if they're not camped on the platform's last pixel!" :O
"Sounds good Timmy! That'll be one humdinger test of reflexes, ha ha!"
"Yeah! And also, the crappy coding makes the bullets invisible!" ;D
"What the fu-"
"And also, if the player has to react suddenly to the random, invisible bullets, the control glitch will kill him. It's preeetty tough!" ;]
*gunshot*
Sol Dae Rokker (Metal Slug 3)
Randomly selects from 90% EZ, 10% pants-shitting RNG terror. I like a run where he only uses Angry Gold Needles a couple times at most. Just enough for a bit of a buzz, not quite enough to weep the tears of a man whose god has abandoned him, you know? If AGN's not called at all, you're in for SURVIVORS GUILT CLEAR.

Searle from Contra Spirits bothers me for similar reasons to Sol, albeit the player technically chooses his attack via "roulette wheel."

My name is Searle
Spoiler

If I'm rusty, my roulette technique goes to hell and I'll sometimes get dreaded Blue Balls From Salamander. I can survive that fucking thing maybe 10% of the time, with bombspam slowdown. I'm sure there's some method, particularly with the game's tiny hitboxes, but last time I was playing CS seriously I just hightailed around it. In the Hard 1LC I have uploaded, I constantly get lucky Encirclement picks, despite going for something else entirely (Rocks, pictured). :shock: Near the end of the wretched battle I put a C missile straight through the wheel, where it explodes on Searle himself for god knows what pick. Even with a lucky Brain Armour, I was so dejected at that point I visibly almost let the useless thing decapitate me.

You know an action game is good when you're haunted by the thought you merely survived it. Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:
Sol Dae Rokker
Do not speak that name in my thread.
Hah. I had to go back and watch my clear to see if AGN was used.
I paid my dues.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Do not speak that name in my thread.
ITS OK 2 B SCURRED BURINJU 3;

(;`ω´;) "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"
"That is the only time a man can be brave."
(`ω´メ)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You know what?

Creepers from Minecraft.
Spoiler
They're scary.

For you crusty old bastards who don't know: if you're within agro range they silently walk up to you and explode. It can be a real problem if you don't see them coming.
You could be happily digging away underground but then you hear the faint "sss" of their ignition and it's too late; you're done.
pointblank explosions are a 1 hit kill, unarmoured.
Or the blast might knock you into a ravine/lava/ underground river next to the eager bows of skeletons who'll shoot before you can clamber out. :|

In the vanilla game they're managable, but on challenge maps, jesus christ. Some evil bastard hid a spawner+room above a corridor so they would drop down on me in quick succession when the room was full of them + they got squeezed out.

Such is the power of the green fiend that they elicit a particular kind of noise from gamers which I dub: The Creeper Scream.
I've done a creeper scream, I've seen youtubers do creeper screams.
It's when you turn around and make direct eye contact with that face, knowing you're about to go sky high. You might be able to swing wildly and stun them into not detonating, or jump away to lessen the damage.
But the scream comes first.
It can take many forms but once upon a time I felt safe in a cave I thought I'd cleared, near lava. I produced a sound I can only describe as "JORRYUU!!!" and slammed my mouse hand into the side of the desk.

Their notoriety other than iconic design comes from the fact that the blast can also damage your precious build. Your glorious statue of your own wang... or in my case, little mud shelter. I think there was a big misconception at the beginning that monsters existed only to break your stuff rather than target players themselves.

Edit: Example of the creeper scream. Why do i remember this stuff.
This idiot walks outside his little wooden house at night.

https://youtu.be/C0UGNj2CPYk?t=2m22s
Last edited by Blinge on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aha, this reminds me of OG Wolfenstein 3D's zombies. Not especially superior in the original game, however, its followup Spear of Destiny packs one particularly nerve-wracking zombie maze. The Wolf3D engine's inherent limitation to blind 90' corners actually works in its favour in such scenarios. Along with the lack of enemy voices beyond alert and death, and especially the brutal pointblank damage multiplier, Death Incarnate difficulty can really make you jump out of your seat. Fucking opening doors letting shots through and becoming transparent to enemy AI doesn't help matters.

Zombies take it a step further by making absolutely no sound upon alert, and this particular maze has no doors either to tip you off that one's approaching. So from the first gunshot (IIRC knifing them isn't a great plan, they have fuckin meat cleavers for hands), things are fairly out of control.

The sound of doors opening somewhere nearby was always a favourite element of mine in Wolf3D. Unsettling. Either a guard is patrolling his way around with confrontation imminent, or worse, one's busily homing in on your position ala the man in black from WestWorld. Along with the aforementioned engine/sound limitations and the more reflex-dependent, almost gun-game shooting, I still get quite a kick out of it. I do think the DOOM total conversion genuinely improves by nixing the irritating vapour doors though. That was one of my big "FUUUCK YEARRR" moments when I first tried DOOM - noticing bullets and other projectiles visibly collide with (or sometimes sneak under) opening/closing doors.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

R-Type 2, level 2's boss is scary to me and I'm not sure what Freud would say about it either :D
More Bromances = safer people
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Rootmars from MS3 might be my choice right now, Sol are not that bad compared to him actually. This boss takes around 4 minutes to kill and with such no room of error.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ You know about the vehicle exit exploit, right? Get in the slug as he pukes the bubbles out, then mash eject so you're in the invincible flip while they float past. Stay out of the slug otherwise so it doesn't get wrecked.

If not for that exploit, I'd indeed consider him as bad / worse than Sol. The bubble updraft is brutal, and tbh the game's innately floaty movement isn't suited to dodging it.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I know about that exploit, I just dunno how to timing it perfectly.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, there's a knack to it. I was getting the Slug trashed almost immediately at first, but eventually it clicked. It's been absolutely years, but basically you want your character to be in the "down the hatch" animation just before the updraft starts, then mash [eject] and flip back to Rootmars' brain. Done right you'll iframe through the bubbles, and the slug will iframe his halo blasts.

I've wanted to go back to MS3 for a while, the updraft may be more dodgeable than I recall. At the time I just noped out, same with the tougher alternate routes.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Tempest: Pulsars, Demon/Ox Heads, those "Super Flower" assholes that show up late in TxK, etc. Make me not want to play the game half the time. Zapped by a Pulsar that you absolutely should have seen coming? Yeah, that gets the voice box going. I'm not at all surprised that the original game was supposed to have been based on nightmares, and then there's the whole Polybius thing...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Lynels in Breath of the Wild. They're the only enemy type in the game I still consider a legitimate threat. No matter how well-equipped I am, Lynels remain Do Not Engage tier. Though I still have to farm some parts from them... there's a few enemy types that are considered mini-bosses, they get their own labeled lifebar. Lynels are not one of these, and those that actually are - Hinoxen and Talii - are not even remotely as bad to deal with. I used to view Guardians in a similar respect as Lynels, but they're not as bad anymore (except in Trial of the Sword when I don't have all my stuff). Lynels hit like a truck, have massive reach, a bunch of special attacks and run at you with terrifying speed. Found some ridge that had no less than three of the strongest type of Lynel, at least spaced out, but riding past that was scary.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
kitten

Post by kitten »

KennyMan666 wrote:Lynels in Breath of the Wild.
do revali's gale and then use slow-mo aiming time with a bow to pound their head like a dozen times before they get a roll on. after that, just charge a club and spin2win. they're really, really easy after you kill your first one and get some of their equipment and then they're just funny to farm because they're such a trivialized threat. i farmed that ridge a ton during my play. one of the only reasons they're challenging is that their charge slam is completely unpredictable and almost impossible to get a reliable way to move out of - which is kinda cheap, tbh. but you are allowed to go much cheaper in that game, so w/e.

- - - - - - - - -

*~* EMBARRASSING STORY TIME *~*:

the most scared i have ever been of an enemy in a video game is the endermen in minecraft. as the name may have already suggests, they're based on the slenderman, that popular video gaming horror icon from years back. he stalks you around a park, spawns just out of your field of view, then kills you if you look at him for more than a second or so. tried that game once, he never bothered me. endermen kind of borrow that mechanic and become aggro (along with some truly disturbing and loud audio) after you look at them - otherwise they kind of just teleport around and grab and move blocks at random (which can be a huge pain).

i had played hundred of hours and on several earlier iterations of the game on peaceful (no enemy spawns) before encountering my first one, and then avoided turning enemies on like the plague unless i needed to farm specific materials. when playing online with a few friends on ps4 a few years back, one of them attacked me on the way out of farming some slimeballs so i could make sticky pistons for secret doors. i freaked out, collected myself, and then found that he got kinda trapped up on a ledge and couldn't get down from it.

feeling courageous, i went over to him, ready to smack him with my sword and kill him and grab his loot. gradually, i began building a makeshift bridge over to where he was stuck. as i did this, it escaped my common sense that building this bridge would create something within safe teleport distance for him far before i could smack him with the sword. before i could realize this, he teleported straight at me and startled me so badly i screamed and then broke down in tears right on the microphone with two friends. i think they thought i was playing it up at first until they realized i was having a genuine panic attack and going into hyperventilation at the spontaneity of it all.

i'm c-ptsd. shit like this seriously gets to me. i can play most manner of horror games without so much as flinching, but for some reason minecraft and minecraft alone works me up to an almost unbelievable degree. i tear up when falling from a high place, i have to take pauses and deep breaths after enemies abruptly attack me without having first noticed them, i go into shivering whenever something highly unexpected happens and nearly had a breakdown the other night when a glitch killed me instantly and i had to beg the server admin to roll back the save to prior to my death (i had equipment on that required incredible amounts of time/energy investment for a game that can kill you and make you lose your stuff instantaneously).

there is something about how engrossing the game is and how much it completely sucks me into it that makes me stop treating it like a game and almost like a second world i am occupying. i get so engaged in repetitive/basic tasks that having them upset - or having the risk of losing very serious progress come at me so quickly - is genuinely something that will take me time to collect myself to recover from or potentially send me in a really bad way. the recent (to me) aquatic update added an enemy that can play a horrifically loud sound and summon a ghost in front of your face to curse you from ANYWHERE on the y-axis so long as you're within a certain amount of spaces on the x-axis. i was digging underground, completely unable to know i was directly beneath one of the temples where he can spawn, and the ghost shot out of a rock and the game played that shockingly loud audio, very nearly sending me into another panic. i had to guess what happened because i didn't even know the enemy existed.

i have never, ever played a game that gives me such a genuine psychological upset, and i've played a pretty reasonable number of "psychological horror" visual novels and horror video games at this point. there's also enemies in certain action games that get me making silly noises at the screen or yanking my controller around or doin a little yelp, but man, ain't noooothin' out there fucks me the hell up like minecraft or like that one enderman did.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Wow I've been getting back into the 'Craft recently and remembered this post ^

The ghost enemy sounds horrific, what the hell.
I'm not sure I like all the additions from the aquatic update tbh. Drowners are damn scary, building underwater is now a pain in the ass in survival mode. I was starting some little ocean floor glass dome project on the server I play with my friends and suddenly I hear gurgles directly behind my ear, and there's three of the fuckers right up in my face.
I got hit by a trident from somewhere and basically insta-killed.
The regular non-trident wielders can spawn anywhere in darkness underwater I think? That's too much spawning area! Sigh.
the other night when a glitch killed me instantly and i had to beg the server admin to roll back the save to prior to my death (i had equipment on that required incredible amounts of time/energy investment for a game that can kill you and make you lose your stuff instantaneously).
Couldn't you have gone back to where your 'corpse' is? The items only despawn with time if the chunk is loaded, ie people nearby. If no ones around you can take your sweet time prepping to venture back to that area.

As for Endermen, You can make a little 1x2 tunnel, about two blocks in.. they're too tall to enter and you can casually slap them to death from safety.

Skeletons have become scary in the recent years' updates too! They do so much damage and are far more accurate now! Going unarmed and unarmoured against two skellies is probably going to end up in death now. :|
This sucks because I've been playing the 'Super Hostile' map series with a couple of friends and they were definitely designed for old minecraft.
I think the enemies in MC fit the thread very well as they're far more mechanically scary than visually so.. yet the former bleeds into the latter once you're immersed enough.

Some screenies I took:
Spoiler

Notes from a small base..
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There was an MS-DOS game called Nitemare 3D where the early enemies (mummies, Frankenstein's monsters) terrified me as a kid cause they make a horrific roar when alerted. Nowadays they're trivial jumpscares as all they can do is attack at melee range and aren't particularly scary. The really scary stuff is all the hitscan using enemies later on that rip you up when they so much as look at you...

Descent has the Class 1 Driller. The moment you so much as hear the high pitched screech you're being pounded with a perfect accuracy hitscan vulcan cannon. They're surprisingly fragile for such a large enemy (one homing missile takes 'em out), but they're as scary if not more than the Red Hulks with their homing missiles.

Everyone who mentioned System Shock 2's protocol droids, total agreement there. Reprogrammed to shuffle quickly at you and explode in your face, popping out of nowhere, and in a game with random enemy encounters so areas you have explored are never safe (except for areas where enemies do not spawn). Yeah. They're pretty terrifying. With that said, the Localized Pyrokinesis PSI not only rapidly damages all nearby enemies with fire damage (most efficient PSI damage move if you get lots of the hits to connect), it also makes you totally immune to fire damage including the explosions from protocol robots and other robots/turrets when they are destroyed. So you can run around with Localized Pyrokinesis active and suddenly laugh in their faces as they harmlessly blow themselves up in front of you.

Also noteworthy: the spiders in System Shock 2. Small, fast, make creepy skittery sounds, weird as heck hitbox to melee them, and one bite does an alarming amount of damage and pumps in all sorts of toxins for extra damaging badness. And they come in camouflaged/cloaked varieties that are difficult to see.

Mother 3: the ultimate chimera. In a traditional RPG, this this rewards you when you touch it with a gruesome fade-to-red as your face is horribly mauled. Not usually too difficult to avoid and rare, but outright terrifying when you do encounter it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haven't played Descent since I was a kid but I can totally understand that example. Game scared the bejeezus out of me in ways that were mostly imaginary at the time, but it had good atmosphere.

As for me, getting chased by this fucker in SH4 really rustles my jimmies.

(also lol)

Something about the laugh, the un-horror like appearance of just dude in a trenchcoat. I really like his design actually, he doesn't look like your typical villain/killer at all. You're trying desperately to save your neighbour while this fucker is clubbing or shooting you, chasing you between rooms and won't go down. I remember the game poorly so tried to fight him with the trusty axe for a bit, thinking he'd be stunned or something, and he does flinch.. but then come right back after me.

The other chase enemies, the ghosts, make the game almost unbearable for me. Nasty sounds, pain aura, chasing between rooms, only halted at the expense of precious items.
Always found 4 much scarier than the rest of the series.

Curse-frogs and blowdart snipers in Dark Souls.

My god, Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne: run for the fucking hills, vomit up all your intelligence, gorge on blood.
'tis better to be a beast..
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Playing a lot of Xenonauts recently, and that game has (well, borrows from the original X-Com) one of the most horrifying creations ever, and in a turn-based tactical game at that.

Reapers (Chryssalids in the original X-Com).

You ask how an enemy can legitimately terrify the hell out of you in a turn-based game? Simple -- take a horrifying looking monster. Give it an extreme number of action points. Make its only attack a one-hit kill melee. Make it an absolute expert at slipping by your squad's lines of sight, sneaking up on you in ways that you aren't facing, so that you never even see it coming; you just see a death animation of a soldier, and that's it. And, most of all, make it turn any of its victims into more Reapers/Chryssalids. For bonus points, introduce it in a night mission (during night missions, your squad has their vision range reduced significantly but the aliens don't).

Absolute utter pants-ruining paranoia and terror right there.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Grim Reapers in Kid Icarus always freaked me out, especially with that evil music that plays when they see you. Eggplant Wizard was also creepy because he could render you helpless with the only way out of it finding a room with a nurse.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:The Brainsuckers in Bloodborne are nerve wracking to approach with their massive sweeping grab range and the horrific (and permanent!) result of the attack landing. Used to great effect when the game delves into survival horror in Upper Cathedral Ward.
Word Image Creepy (and injurious) fuckers, those suckers. And by the same token, almost singularly exhilarating to exterminate with utter purpose. Took three years due to R2R obsession, but I always looked forward to BB on account of this post. Upper Cathedral Ward is a concentrated shot of oldschool Biohazard x MGS, I love/hate it just like I love/hate them. :mrgreen: An enemy that provokes the most literal disgust, ie Burn On Sight.

"Mac wants the flamethrower!"
"Mac wants the what?!"

"GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE! BURN IT."

I like that, outside of UCW's pitch-black heart of terror, they're used sparingly in the main game. That room in Isz with like five of the bastards made me give up on Chalicing for a bit. :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Church Pick wrecks those motherfuckers hard.
My lord, I have come for you.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

No mention of Slave Beast Taka in Contra Shattered Soldier? I remember when I first time approach the fake Heli-Robo as a kid I thought it would be the boss but no! giant gross turtle just fell out of nowhere crushing him, and oh boy the second form just complete the nightmares. Even some others who watched me play SS atm and saw this form all of them had the WTF face. :lol:

Honorable mention goes to Lance's alien form and Alien Lair from Hard Corps, creepy and sick stuff going on I like it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Eh you know, Sekiro's mist nobles should get an honourable mention, although they function kinda similarly to Winter Lanterns
and are mostly reserved for one area.

.. actually anything that inflicts the terror status ailment is pretty terrifying...
I'm thinking of those ghost monkey ads during the Folding Screen fight..
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

2019 join dates on the forum...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

^
Goes to check main forums.
My lord, I have come for you.
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

Anything that moves in Defender, even the sound effects scare me.
Fight war not wars
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

These guys gave 7 year old me nightmares. I was deathly terrified of weird statues growing up and the way Nintendo introduces these guys in Ocarina of Time really fucked me up. Statues coming to LIFE was wrong to me.
I love 90's Nintendo.