gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zionfarm

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by zionfarm »

superg wrote:
superg wrote:
Dazdigo wrote:I was in the same boat with my PSIO. I am used to waiting a long time on nitch products. As long as I am on the wait list, I am happy.
I'm still waiting for my PSIO :)
fernan1234 wrote:I guess these are our standards.

It took 11 months from pre-order to delivery for my PSIO. Sounds like this will take 6-7 months. So yeah, at least not as bad as that.
Funny that 30 minutes after I posted this I got an email that my PSIO is getting ready to ship.
zionfarm wrote:Good day fine Chaps,

I finally got a great deal for a V3.4 Gscartsw from the OSSC / Framemeister group on Face Book. Got it from a guy in the UK. My question is he doesn't own the US plug end that goes into the PSU that is supplied from Gscart himself.

I was wondering if anybody knew what the plug end is called so I could get one on Amazon? Also is there a way to tell which one is the V3.4, & the V3.0 or is it all internal work done? By the way big shout out to Steve McGarr on the FB group for giving me the opportunity to purchase one from him.

V/r
Kelly
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722 - this is the universal power supply that I used to bundle v3.4 with. The plug connector is called 2.1 barrel plug.

I was actually looking for the US input blade that attaches to the adapter that looks like this. I tried searching digikey but I can't seem to find the blade by its self.

superg

Post by superg »

zionfarm wrote: I was actually looking for the US input blade that attaches to the adapter that looks like this. I tried searching digikey but I can't seem to find the blade by its self.

I don't think they sell separate blades for this model, they sell for others but it's incompatible. Anyways it's $8, not too expensive.
zionfarm

Post by zionfarm »

That was going to be next sentence to write. That the item is $8 and not a serious issue to have two of them in the house.
TorgoPSN

Post by TorgoPSN »

Man, I haven't even thought about this for a while until two days ago when my buddy asked if this ever arrived. Great to see some progress!
mrt95

Post by mrt95 »

Hi I was just curious, as I have placed an order, but didn't receive an email. Same email as on this account would have been tied to the purchase. Just didn't want to get lost in the shuffle :P
mrt95

Post by mrt95 »

Hi, Was just looking through my email, and didn't notice anything from this. Just want to make sure my order is all set. Looking forward to this switch!
plumptree

Post by plumptree »

Question from a noob here. Would it be possible to use 480p to 1080i through the gscartsw to a PVM via a [SCART to BNC] cable?
Here's a little diagram of what I'm thinking of:

[Xbox] --> [Beharbros Garo] --> [gscartsw] --> [SCART to BNC] --> [PVM 14L5]

It would be very expensive to buy all the things required and I don't want to spend $325 US (or my $437 Canadian Loonies) for something that won't work.
Thank you for any feedback.

Edit: Would I even need the Garo? It's an additional cost that (If I'm seeing this right) I wouldn't need according to the SCART pinout, but then I would need a way to get the YPbPr video into the gscartsw still.

SOL? maybe :/
MasterYoda

Post by MasterYoda »

plumptree wrote:Question from a noob here. Would it be possible to use 480p to 1080i through the gscartsw to a PVM via a [SCART to BNC] cable?

It would be very expensive to buy all the things required and I don't want to spend $325 US (or my $437 Canadian Loonies) for something that won't work.

Edit: Would I even need the Garo? It's an additional cost that (If I'm seeing this right) I wouldn't need according to the SCART pinout, but then I would need a way to get the YPbPr video into the gscartsw still.

You don't need a transcoder with the newest gscart or the old gscart 3.4, you would need one for the gscartsw_lite. You would simply need a YPbPr to SCART pin adapter for the new gscartsw and it will pass it through. For the gscart 3.4 or earlier, you would need to use the same pin adapter as the current model, but you could only use it on input 8, which is what is defaulted if no signal is detected. The gscart_lite doesn't have a default output if nothing is detected, so you would need the transcoder.
superg

Post by superg »

mrt95 wrote:Hi, Was just looking through my email, and didn't notice anything from this. Just want to make sure my order is all set. Looking forward to this switch!
PM me the email used to make an order, I'll check it here.
plumptree wrote:Question from a noob here. Would it be possible to use 480p to 1080i through the gscartsw to a PVM via a [SCART to BNC] cable?

Can't say much about Garo but 480p-1080i will easily work: [gscartsw] --> [SCART to BNC] --> [PVM 14L5]
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

Hi superg. My Gscartsw_lite suddenly stopped working. I’ve been using the same 9v PSU as usual, and have tested that the PSU is fine, and it is. When I plug the Gscartsw_lite in the LED doesn’t light up and no signals are passed through any of the inputs. I have it plugged into my OSSC and it is receiving no signal.

Any ideas? Is there something else I should be doing/trying.
superg

Post by superg »

radiokid wrote:Hi superg. My Gscartsw_lite suddenly stopped working. I’ve been using the same 9v PSU as usual, and have tested that the PSU is fine, and it is. When I plug the Gscartsw_lite in the LED doesn’t light up and no signals are passed through any of the inputs. I have it plugged into my OSSC and it is receiving no signal.

LED is connected to Altera IC, it quickly blinks on startup (when you power it up) to indicate that it's alive. If you don't get that it means that Altera IC doesn't start. That means two things:
1. There is 5V short as some IC is dead which affects 3.3V rail
2. Altera IC is dead
Both of these are a consequence of connecting something not up to spec: WindyGaming SUPERGUN, out of spec sync, other amplified audio stuff etc. Also it doesn't mean that it instantly dies after connecting the equipment. The switch can take some amount of abuse so it all depends on your setup.
Now, what can be done about it: If it's (1) I can fix it in most cases. If it's (2) I can't. I will need the switch here to diagnose what that is. PM me for the shipping address.
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

Damn, I don’t really understand how it happened. I don’t have anything weird plugged in. I daisy chain the Gscartsw lite to the normal Gscartsw, thats working fine. Both Gscarts are powered from the same PSU and I use a DC splitter cable to power both. The normal Gscartsw is working still

I don’t have any odd consoles plugged in, normal Sega, Nintendo, Amiga, PC Engine, Neo Geo AES, Sony stuff.

Any places on the board I should check for voltage issues? I’m in the UK so guessing it’s not going to be a quick turnaround to get you to have a look at it.
superg wrote:
radiokid wrote:Hi superg. My Gscartsw_lite suddenly stopped working. I’ve been using the same 9v PSU as usual, and have tested that the PSU is fine, and it is. When I plug the Gscartsw_lite in the LED doesn’t light up and no signals are passed through any of the inputs. I have it plugged into my OSSC and it is receiving no signal.

LED is connected to Altera IC, it quickly blinks on startup (when you power it up) to indicate that it's alive. If you don't get that it means that Altera IC doesn't start. That means two things:
1. There is 5V short as some IC is dead which affects 3.3V rail
2. Altera IC is dead
Both of these are a consequence of connecting something not up to spec: WindyGaming SUPERGUN, out of spec sync, other amplified audio stuff etc. Also it doesn't mean that it instantly dies after connecting the equipment. The switch can take some amount of abuse so it all depends on your setup.
Now, what can be done about it: If it's (1) I can fix it in most cases. If it's (2) I can't. I will need the switch here to diagnose what that is. PM me for the shipping address.
superg

Post by superg »

radiokid wrote:Damn, I don’t really understand how it happened. I don’t have anything weird plugged in. I daisy chain the Gscartsw lite to the normal Gscartsw, thats working fine. Both Gscarts are powered from the same PSU and I use a DC splitter cable to power both. The normal Gscartsw is working still

I don’t have any odd consoles plugged in, normal Sega, Nintendo, Amiga, PC Engine, Neo Geo AES, Sony stuff.

Any places on the board I should check for voltage issues? I’m in the UK so guessing it’s not going to be a quick turnaround to get you to have a look at it.
Oh, yeah, overseas shipping isn't cheap (and slow). I can prepare a list of test points if you're comfortable disassembling the case. You will need just the multimeter. Make sure not to keep it plugged because the short can make it worse.
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

Ok that sounds like a plan.

I’m comfortable taking it apart yeah. Just let me know what to check.
superg wrote:
radiokid wrote:Damn, I don’t really understand how it happened. I don’t have anything weird plugged in. I daisy chain the Gscartsw lite to the normal Gscartsw, thats working fine. Both Gscarts are powered from the same PSU and I use a DC splitter cable to power both. The normal Gscartsw is working still

Oh, yeah, overseas shipping isn't cheap (and slow). I can prepare a list of test points if you're comfortable disassembling the case. You will need just the multimeter. Make sure not to keep it plugged because the short can make it worse.
ghostofconny

Post by ghostofconny »

Hi,

I pre-ordered the new GSCARTSW some time ago and is really looking forward to it. However, I got no confirmation email after I placed my pre-order and just wanted to make sure my order is ok. Superg, I know that you usually ask people to send you a PM with their email address so that you can check but since I just created my account here it seems I cannot send any PM:s until I have put in my first post and had it approved by a moderator, so this is why I did not send you a PM right away. After this post is approved hopefully I can send you a PM.

Superg, thanks for all your work and continued support of your excellent products.
KentaZX

Post by KentaZX »

superg wrote:
Aero-R wrote:
superg wrote:I've sent an email to everybody who pre-ordered the switch about the current status and firmware delay. Basically the aggregated information I post here because not everybody is checking this topic.

In addition to that I've sent another email to everybody who is in the first sub-batch.
Hello superg,

Late my reply but, was that email sent to all the ones who preordered, or only to the 1st batch ones? I paid for the item maybe on the first 3 mins after the preorder was opened. I was worried about the possibility of this email being sent to everyone because in my case I have not received it. Thanks in advance for your time & support superg!
There were two emails, one to everybody and the other one only to those who were in the first sub batch. You would clearly knew if you're in the first sub batch. Every time I open the orders there is a peak in the first minute and it's crazy fast. It's all those people who were waiting for it to open. I see 1 second between orders.
Sorry but I never got either of those two emails actually... I did pre-ordered and sent a payment on august 31st so does that mean im not in either the first nor the second batch?
Stendal

Post by Stendal »

Stendal wrote:Hey superg, I missed the first run of your gcompsw and have been eagerly awaiting the next batch, and it looks like you're making good progress so I hopefully won't be waiting long. I do have a couple of questions though.
  • 1) Is the new 8:2 model going to be the sole model of the gcompsw going forward, or will you still be offering the 4:1 model?
  • 2) If the former, what's the price point looking at? I personally would have a hard time finding more than 4 component systems to plug in, and while I wouldn't mind shelling out a little more for the 8:2 model, I'd hate to pay a ton more for ports that I'm probably never going to use.
Other than that, keep on rolling. I'm excited to finally get a gcompsw and look forward to what other projects you might eventually cook up! :mrgreen:
Quote bumping this because moderation held my post and it got buried as a result
superg

Post by superg »

Stendal wrote:
Stendal wrote:Hey superg, I missed the first run of your gcompsw and have been eagerly awaiting the next batch, and it looks like you're making good progress so I hopefully won't be waiting long. I do have a couple of questions though.
  • 1) Is the new 8:2 model going to be the sole model of the gcompsw going forward, or will you still be offering the 4:1 model?
  • 2) If the former, what's the price point looking at? I personally would have a hard time finding more than 4 component systems to plug in, and while I wouldn't mind shelling out a little more for the 8:2 model, I'd hate to pay a ton more for ports that I'm probably never going to use.
Other than that, keep on rolling. I'm excited to finally get a gcompsw and look forward to what other projects you might eventually cook up! :mrgreen:
Quote bumping this because moderation held my post and it got buried as a result
1. Yes, for me it makes sense to focus only on one model at a time, from now on it will be only gcompsw 8:2.
2. It does look like something less than $200 but I haven't looked into the final pricing yet, first technical part.
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

Hi superg, just wondering if you have that list of parts I need to check to diagnose what has happened to my gscartsw lite.
superg

Post by superg »

radiokid wrote:Hi superg, just wondering if you have that list of parts I need to check to diagnose what has happened to my gscartsw lite.
Oh I'm sorry, I totally forgot about it, I will PM you.
superg

Post by superg »

KentaZX wrote: Sorry but I never got either of those two emails actually... I did pre-ordered and sent a payment on august 31st so does that mean im not in either the first nor the second batch?
PM me the paypal email used to make the order and I will check it.
ghostofconny wrote:Hi,

I pre-ordered the new GSCARTSW some time ago and is really looking forward to it. However, I got no confirmation email after I placed my pre-order and just wanted to make sure my order is ok. Superg, I know that you usually ask people to send you a PM with their email address so that you can check but since I just created my account here it seems I cannot send any PM:s until I have put in my first post and had it approved by a moderator, so this is why I did not send you a PM right away. After this post is approved hopefully I can send you a PM.
Meanwhile you can login to your paypal account and check if you have the transaction record, if you do it's fine.
Paraxes

Post by Paraxes »

Guess I missed the train *sigh*. I assume there are no open slots for a gcompsw anymore, right?
superg

Post by superg »

Guys, please don't PM me to confirm that order went fine. Especially when you got paypal confirmation email. I get a lot of PM's and I don't want to spend time on unnecessary things. Contact me only if absolutely needed.
Stendal

Post by Stendal »

superg wrote:
Stendal wrote:
1. Yes, for me it makes sense to focus only on one model at a time, from now on it will be only gcompsw 8:2.
2. It does look like something less than $200 but I haven't looked into the final pricing yet, first technical part.
Thank you! Hope work goes smoothly on it.
Pda

Post by Pda »

Hello there,

Seriously considering ordering your product. I'm sure it has been answered before but could you help with SoG upcoming integration and benefits? In my situation; i'm planning to use your Gscart on FM/OSSC+4K (1st output)+ Sony PVM (2nd output).Been collecting CSYNC RGB cables lately for my old gear; would your SoC feature be good in that regard or actually an "useless" luxury? I wish i would know better about these Sync varieties... Btw, your Sync regeneration feature works towards helping for a stable image coming from OSSC or it's for another purpose?

Thank you :)
superg

Post by superg »

Pda wrote:Hello there,

Seriously considering ordering your product. I'm sure it has been answered before but could you help with SoG upcoming integration and benefits? In my situation; i'm planning to use your Gscart on FM/OSSC+4K (1st output)+ Sony PVM (2nd output).Been collecting CSYNC RGB cables lately for my old gear; would your SoC feature be good in that regard or actually an "useless" luxury? I wish i would know better about these Sync varieties... Btw, your Sync regeneration feature works towards helping for a stable image coming from OSSC or it's for another purpose?

Thank you :)
The biggest SoG use case is PlayStation2 in progressive or HD mode. There are other applications but they are uncommon. Other than that it's pretty standard gscartsw (or gscartsw_lite). Sync regeneration helps with some non standard sync situations and some monitors which expect clean sync. Anyways the only version I currently manufacture is the one with SoG support.
Stendal

Post by Stendal »

Paraxes wrote:Guess I missed the train *sigh*. I assume there are no open slots for a gcompsw anymore, right?
If you're talking about the older 4:1 model, that ship sailed a long time ago. If you're talking about the new 8:2 model, preorders haven't started yet, so you're still good.
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

Any rough timeline estimate of the gcomp? Ive been waiting a long time too lol
superg

Post by superg »

Octo-King wrote:Any rough timeline estimate of the gcomp? Ive been waiting a long time too lol
I will open pre-orders (or order these with my own funds, not sure yet) at the same time I start shipping gscartsw's to everybody. gcompsw is ready, I have fully working prototype and not a single thing I would like to change. Will design the case this week.

Also update for the SMS and similar functionality fix: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57929&p=1349571#p1349571
Some of you monitor that thread but for others who doesn't, the correction is implemented in newest gscartsw, I have to adjust some timings which I will do soon. DIP 3 switch will be the toggle.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Great news about gcompsw ! Any idea for a price ?