I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirkSwizzler

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K 18Gbps

Post by DirkSwizzler »

thetallguy24 wrote: Goods:
Extractor works great on my sound bar. The previous extractor I tried was a failure

Bads:
The splitter barely works at all. The image will show up on my Plasma TV but there is some screen garbage. There is no image no matter what Line mode I try on the VGA Monitor. Running straight from the OSSC to Tendak to VGA Monitor works just fine from Line 2x to Line 4x.

Any suggestions?
Interesting. Have you tried hooking the plasma up to output 1 of the splitter and leaving output 2 disconnected? As well as bypassing the extractor?

If that configuration doesn't work then I don't have any useful suggestions.

Given the amount of grief splitting has given me. I wouldn't be completely shocked if there were still failure cases for this splitter even if it's the best I've found.
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
thetallguy24 wrote: Goods:
Extractor works great on my sound bar. The previous extractor I tried was a failure

Bads:
The splitter barely works at all. The image will show up on my Plasma TV but there is some screen garbage. There is no image no matter what Line mode I try on the VGA Monitor. Running straight from the OSSC to Tendak to VGA Monitor works just fine from Line 2x to Line 4x.

Any suggestions?
Interesting. Have you tried hooking the plasma up to output 1 of the splitter and leaving output 2 disconnected? As well as bypassing the extractor?

Given the amount of grief splitting has given me. I wouldn't be completely shocked if there were still failure cases for this splitter even if it's the best I've found.
I seem to be able to get rid of the garbage on the plasma by tweaking the OSSC settings. No luck on the VGA monitor still. What settings are you using with the OSSC?

Have you tried the OREI?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5R9TNM?re ... 520_dpLink
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:

So I got a different HDMI to VGA adapter (the Rankie). It seems to be more compatible with the ViewHD splitter, but not completely.

Using my NES, the splitter with the Rankie to my VGA monitor did actually work this time in 2x and 3x mode. However, it only worked in 4x mode with 4:3. It kept losing sync in 256x240 mode.

Also, its very finicky with the settings. Sometimes it will cut out when changing scanline settings or other settings.

I can confirm the splitter is lag free, because I can use my light gun with it.

I am going to try a splitter that is confirmed compatible with 960p at 60hz, so I will have an update this week.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Do none of these Splitter accept a PCM audio signal?. Have got 3 4K HDR splitters now and when hooked up to my Xbox One and try and change to audio to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed audio then all im getting from my AVR is just a stereo output, if i change the Xbox settings to either DD or DTS then the AVR changes to the correct format but my avermedia live gamer 4k capture card doesnt support DD or DTS???
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Use a DAC with its own power supply.
We apologise for the inconvenience
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

orange808 wrote:Use a DAC with its own power supply.

any recommendations?

i'd rather not have to as adding another device in the chain has a bigger risk of introducing more issues
orange808

Post by orange808 »

lettuce wrote:
orange808 wrote:Use a DAC with its own power supply.

any recommendations?

i'd rather not have to as adding another device in the chain has a bigger risk of introducing more issues
Sure, I use some HDFury Nano DACs now because I like the built in gamma, but any quality DAC with a power supply will do.

You can't expect one of these inexpensive Chinese switches or splitters to host proper power for multiple client devices. I get that they probably should provide the power, but they don't.
We apologise for the inconvenience
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Ive done a bit of research on the issue i was having with the few splitters ive tried not accepting an 5.1/7.1 PCM audio signal and just DD or DTS, now i know this isnt really an issue where the OSSC is involved but thought id mention it anyway. It would appear a ot of these splitters dont have a very sophisticated EDID implementation, when only using a 1080p source then there doesnt seem to be an issue its when you push it up to 4K it then cant support a PCM audio output. I will try and get a spiltter that has the EDID jumpers on the device and see if they are any better
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

lettuce wrote:Do none of these Splitter accept a PCM audio signal?. Have got 3 4K HDR splitters now and when hooked up to my Xbox One and try and change to audio to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed audio then all im getting from my AVR is just a stereo output, if i change the Xbox settings to either DD or DTS then the AVR changes to the correct format but my avermedia live gamer 4k capture card doesnt support DD or DTS???
I finally got a chance to test my setup and it worked fine with PCM for 7.1, 5.1 and plain 2 channel stereo. Tried it with XBox One X and PS4 Pro.
Fun fact. I had no idea that PCM was the best audio you can get. I had assumed that Dolby or DTS allowed for more dynamic features. But hadn't actually done the research.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
lettuce wrote:Do none of these Splitter accept a PCM audio signal?. Have got 3 4K HDR splitters now and when hooked up to my Xbox One and try and change to audio to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed audio then all im getting from my AVR is just a stereo output, if i change the Xbox settings to either DD or DTS then the AVR changes to the correct format but my avermedia live gamer 4k capture card doesnt support DD or DTS???
I finally got a chance to test my setup and it worked fine with PCM for 7.1, 5.1 and plain 2 channel stereo. Tried it with XBox One X and PS4 Pro.
Fun fact. I had no idea that PCM was the best audio you can get. I had assumed that Dolby or DTS allowed for more dynamic features. But hadn't actually done the research.
Which splitter was that?, have tried 3 so far and none were able to give me 5.1/7.1 PCM when at 4K/60 HDR
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

lettuce wrote:Which splitter was that?, have tried 3 so far and none were able to give me 5.1/7.1 PCM when at 4K/60 HDR
Top of the first post. Quite literally the reason I created this thread.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

As my final purchase for the 2018 tax season I bought the devices recommended on the first post. Thanks for doing the legwork DirkSwizzler. These will be exceptionally helpful for work in 2019.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

lettuce

Post by lettuce »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
lettuce wrote:Which splitter was that?, have tried 3 so far and none were able to give me 5.1/7.1 PCM when at 4K/60 HDR
The HDView Switch?, what about the splitter?...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3NB4SR?pldnSite=1
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

lettuce wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
The HDView Switch?, what about the splitter?...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3NB4SR?pldnSite=1
Yep. That's the one from the top of the first post. It's the one I'm recommending and the one I tested.

I detailed how I connect all 3 for my setup
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
djc5166 wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote: I wonder if that’s an install issue with the ultra hdmi. Is it drawing power in a way that bypasses the power switch?
I’ll update the original post
It's not even plugged in.
Whaaaaaat. And I assume you’ve powered something else on in the meantime. Does a long hold on the “switch” button change the behavior? In quite a few switches that controls whether auto switching is enabled. But there’s usually an indicator light.
Seems to be working just fine now, I have no idea what's different. Maybe v1.08 changed something on the UltraHDMI side.
djc5166

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K@60Hz RGB H

Post by djc5166 »

djc5166 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:The ViewHD switch is great indeed, but here in Europe it's hard to find under the ViewHD branding. Instead it's available under the "VORKE" branding (under 60 EUR on Amazon). It's the identical unit and performs nicely.
I think all of these that look like this (rs232, IR, toslink) use the same internals with the same stm32 arm core and hdmi switch chips,

I stupidly tried to update the firmware on my Vorke model from their website, all it does is brick the unit.

The swclk and swdio pins are exposed on the pcb for the stm32, I was going to try getting a stm32 programmer and flashing the firmware manually.

Not sure if it will work, but the programmer is like 7$ so it's worth a shot, Vorke has 0 customer service. They will absolutely not help you with the unit even though they provide the tools to update/brick your switch.
So I was able to dump the flash from a 2nd ViewHD/VORKE switch and then flash my bricked unit, and all is working again. I can provide the bin to anyone who bricked their unit trying to update it like I did. All you need is a cheap STM32 USB programmer.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

@DirkSwizzler I'm about to pull the trigger on your recommendations. Could I replace the Prosumer 4x1 with the ViewHD 5x1 on the same page? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6GJ448

I could really use the extra port and it would prevent a daisy chain for me. Or is the Prosumer 4x1 crucial for the chain?

Thanks!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:@DirkSwizzler I'm about to pull the trigger on your recommendations. Could I replace the Prosumer 4x1 with the ViewHD 5x1 on the same page? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6GJ448

I could really use the extra port and it would prevent a daisy chain for me. Or is the Prosumer 4x1 crucial for the chain?

Thanks!
The Prosumer model is still better. He addressed the 5-port unit in his original post:
DirkSwizzler wrote:ViewHD 5 Port HDMI 2.0b 5x1 Switch | 4K@60Hz | HDCP 2.2 | HDR & Dolby Vision | Model: UHD5X1
I just hooked up this one tonight. It was infrequently dropping PS4 Pro frames. And was having occasional dropped frames in OSSC 5x 1080p with a NESRGB. But seems to be doing fine with XBox One X 4K 60Hz HDR with the "Allow 4:2:2" setting disabled. Sometimes it seemed like if I reset it, it would last longer. But finicky at best. I took a chance on this one because every one of my recommended devices is a ViewHD. But I think this might be identical hardware to the awakelion

djc5166 Reports that an UltraHDMI will cause this switch to always select that port. Even when the console is unplugged
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:@DirkSwizzler I'm about to pull the trigger on your recommendations. Could I replace the Prosumer 4x1 with the ViewHD 5x1 on the same page? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6GJ448

Thanks!
The Prosumer model is still better. He addressed the 5-port unit in his original post:
DirkSwizzler wrote:ViewHD 5 Port HDMI 2.0b 5x1 Switch | 4K@60Hz | HDCP 2.2 | HDR & Dolby Vision | Model: UHD5X1
I just hooked up this one tonight. It was infrequently dropping PS4 Pro frames. And was having occasional dropped frames in OSSC 5x 1080p with a NESRGB. But seems to be doing fine with XBox One X 4K 60Hz HDR with the "Allow 4:2:2" setting disabled. Sometimes it seemed like if I reset it, it would last longer. But finicky at best. I took a chance on this one because every one of my recommended devices is a ViewHD. But I think this might be identical hardware to the awakelion

djc5166 Reports that an UltraHDMI will cause this switch to always select that port. Even when the console is unplugged
Wow, I'm dumb. I reread through the entire thread except the 'graveyard' section, thinking "why bother with devices that didn't work?" Now I know 99.8% is not enough. Thanks!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

For a long time before stumbling across the working splitter. I was considering a post just about what didn't work. My experience so far with the OSSC is that most devices don't quite work. Seems like a lot of equipment is made to fit cookie cutter specs and nothing else.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:

Thanks!

It's worth mentioning again that HDMI is voodoo. The prosumer is definitely better for me in my setup. But it's entirely possible that the inverse is true for others for some weird reason I'm not aware of.

I would be happy to learn of a cheaper switch or one with more ports that didn't introduce incompatibilities.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Thanks!

It's worth mentioning again that HDMI is voodoo. The prosumer is definitely better for me in my setup. But it's entirely possible that the inverse is true for others for some weird reason I'm not aware of.

I would be happy to learn of a cheaper switch or one with more ports that didn't introduce incompatibilities.
Thanks, I went with those suggestions for now, as well as some highQ HDMI cables. My receiver in this setup is a Pioneer Elite SC-67, so I think pretty good. No 4k, but that's fine. I look forward to trying this all out!
strayan

Post by strayan »

Cool thread but I personally wouldn't be happy using OSSC on a 4k TV that doesn't have support for integer scaling (like some Panasonic 4k TVs do).
hurda

Post by hurda »

djc5166 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:The ViewHD switch is great indeed, but here in Europe it's hard to find under the ViewHD branding. Instead it's available under the "VORKE" branding (under 60 EUR on Amazon). It's the identical unit and performs nicely.
I think all of these that look like this (rs232, IR, toslink) use the same internals with the same stm32 arm core and hdmi switch chips,

I stupidly tried to update the firmware on my Vorke model from their website, all it does is brick the unit.
Not sure if they were available back then, but on the Vorke-support-site, there are several different, and judging from the filenames also newer, firmware-versions for that switch available. One of the links ("HD41 PRO TOOL V1.04") points to a different URL than what the text suggests, though,

The updater-executable is also different than the one from the firmware-update offered on their FAQ-page, which came with the probably older version 2.3.

I guess updating should only be tried when you have and can flash a backup of the stock firmware, given the mentioned issues.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

It's so strange to me that I can't find a similar site for the ViewHD branding.
Such a good switch. Seems weird to not have a singular brand identity.
And I just realized I should have added the VORKE branding in the original post. Fixing.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

hurda wrote:
djc5166 wrote:

Not sure if they were available back then, but on the Vorke-support-site, there are several different, and judging from the filenames also newer, firmware-versions for that switch available. One of the links ("HD41 PRO TOOL V1.04") points to a different URL than what the text suggests, though,

The updater-executable is also different than the one from the firmware-update offered on their FAQ-page, which came with the probably older version 2.3.

I guess updating should only be tried when you have and can flash a backup of the stock firmware, given the mentioned issues.
Yea I went through all that, I even found the other version of the tool as you have pointed out. All it adds is some kind of edid feature, still bricks when flashing. It looks like the "bootloader" on the switch just erases the firmware, then fails and doesn't update it. I haven't figured out how to flash it directly with the programmer, it still just bricks the switch. There must be some CRC or something the flashing process is supposed to fill in.

Also the fw I dumped from the good switch doesn't match anything provided on the website, so who knows.
hurda

Post by hurda »

DirkSwizzler wrote:It's so strange to me that I can't find a similar site for the ViewHD branding.
Such a good switch. Seems weird to not have a singular brand identity.
And I just realized I should have added the VORKE branding in the original post. Fixing.
Judging from its exterior design, it's been sold under several brandings, bundled with different accessories:
HDCVT HDS-B14A, Vanco (with yet another different flasher, RAR5 in ZIP), TNP, Ligawo 3080026, CE Compass, aCompatible, HDmatters, Comprehensive, Voxlink.

Then there are a other (older? newer?) models, either with a DIP-switch for EDID, or a micro-USB-connector next to or instead of a DC-barrel-connector for power and firmware-updates, or with different buttons at the front, or IR-passthrough:
UH-4U (Build2.0), Digitalinx, Monoprice Blackbird 4k (not the Pro Splitter mentioned in OP), Vivolink, Evolution by Vanco.

Who knows, if the files offered by Vorke are even for this particular model. And if it ain't broken...
djc5166 wrote:Yea I went through all that, I even found the other version of the tool as you have pointed out. All it adds is some kind of edid feature, still bricks when flashing. It looks like the "bootloader" on the switch just erases the firmware, then fails and doesn't update it. I haven't figured out how to flash it directly with the programmer, it still just bricks the switch. There must be some CRC or something the flashing process is supposed to fill in.

Also the fw I dumped from the good switch doesn't match anything provided on the website, so who knows.
Alright. Does the stock firmware (8.3, maybe?) have any bugs which would warrant or require an update?

Regarding the flasher-applications:
Judging from the report from PE-Studio (compilation-date), the oldest version is the one from Vanco (2016), then the one from the Vorke-2.3-update (2017) and finally the individually linked one from Vorke's support-page (2018).
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Whoops. I screwed that link up completely. I tested both a blackbird switch and splitter. The Monoprice Blackbird 4K 4x1 HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor, HDR, 18Gbps, YUV 4:4:4 switch I tested is still different than the one you linked. I'd be interested to learn if the slim one handles PS4 Pro 4K60 RGB.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I just got a VORKE HD41 Pro and Fudoh was correct. This thing behaves identically to the ViewHD Prosumer switch while being cheaper and apparently having marginally better support (I challenge you to find a ViewHD website).

I flipped through all the OSSC modes for a few seconds each. And did an extended play of Castlevania 1 on NES with a different scaling multiplier per level. No problems found.

Having 2 switches that handle the OSSC perfectly has allowed me to get a few steps closer to a fully auto-switched setup. Just power on and go.

It's important to note up front that the HD41 Pro favors lower numbered ports if there's a signal conflict.

In my previous setup. I had the OSSC hooked up to port 1 of the main switch. Which would prioritize it over the PS4 and daisy chained switches. So I had to power off the OSSC to do anything other than OSSC. I did this because the daisy chained switches would also always register as active. So if I put the OSSC after a daisy chained switch, I'd have to unplug the switch to get the OSSC to work.

Now that I have 2 4x1 switches that handle the OSSC perfectly. I decided to try a new setup where each daisy chained switch would *only* be on port 4 of it's parent. And the OSSC would be on port 4 of the final switch.

Since I only have 2 switches that support the OSSC so well. This was a somewhat limited test. But it turns out I only had 8 HDMI devices at the moment. So I only had to drop 1 to make it work for now (Super NT).

This setup worked PERFECTLY while leaving the OSSC on.

Main switch port order: PS4 Pro, XBox One X, Nintendo Switch, chain to ViewHD Prosumer
ViewHD Prosumer second switch: PS3, XBox 360, Wii U, OSSC.

When I power up my rack. The OSSC takes control and shows the test screen. Power up any HDMI console and it automatically shows up. And when I power it back down I'm back to the OSSC test screen. Then if I power on any analog system then the OSSC takes over as expected :D

I'm definitely going to order a second HD41 Pro and see if that holds up. Or see how 2 of these work as peers chained to the main switch.

EDIT: Removed text about hopefully awesome behavior I thought I saw. It didn't pan out.
Last edited by DirkSwizzler on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have this finally setup and working brilliantly! Am I correct that If I only have the OSSC into the Prosumer that I can just remove the switch? Or does the Prosumer provide some benefit to the overall stream?