TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by nmalinoski »

LiqwidFox wrote:I originally was trying to go through my options on how I wanted to run audio and decided to get a scart pasthrough adapter with audio breakout. When buying rgb scart cables for my snes, they're often mentioned as an add-on. Well I ordered one off amazon that also had composite and s-video and got to thinking:

The way these retro rgb cables are wired, the composite and s-video should be outputting sync right? Well when it came in I opened it up it looks like those jacks are going to pin 20. I don't have the ability to test since my tv just gave up the ghost but in theory, just run a composite or svideo cable for sync, set switch to output on adapter and voila? Where's the hole in my thinking here if any.
So what you're looking to do is connect the composite video breakout to the composite video jack (on input 1 or whatever?) on the TV to provide sync?

Why do that when you could internally wire pin 20 and ground on the SCART socket to the composite video RCA input you'd be using for sync?
LiqwidFox

Post by LiqwidFox »

nmalinoski wrote:
LiqwidFox wrote:I originally was trying to go through my options on how I wanted to run audio and decided to get a scart pasthrough adapter with audio breakout. When buying rgb scart cables for my snes, they're often mentioned as an add-on. Well I ordered one off amazon that also had composite and s-video and got to thinking:

The way these retro rgb cables are wired, the composite and s-video should be outputting sync right? Well when it came in I opened it up it looks like those jacks are going to pin 20. I don't have the ability to test since my tv just gave up the ghost but in theory, just run a composite or svideo cable for sync, set switch to output on adapter and voila? Where's the hole in my thinking here if any.
So what you're looking to do is connect the composite video breakout to the composite video jack (on input 1 or whatever?) on the TV to provide sync?

Why do that when you could internally wire pin 20 and ground on the SCART socket to the composite video RCA input you'd be using for sync?
Yes to your first question. Or even s-video.
Im not saying its a preferred method ultimately. Not at all. Just a thought went through my head and was curious if it will work. I figured itd be a quick way to check which input you would want to solder to permanently ex. If you get screen shift. Idk... just got to staring at a pile of crap to work with while smoking a J. Cheers from WA :-)
Last edited by LiqwidFox on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
krimstah

Post by krimstah »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Any chance of getting the European model schematic uploaded to google drive or something? I’m not a member of scribd. Interested to see it’s circuitry.
Hi Mark,

Google Drive Link of Euro Schematic below,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ttVMtT ... sp=sharing

Neo & Mark,

I will try and activate service menu tonight , I don't have the remote so i will try an android universal remote app to activate. Will post my findings, Thanks for your advice appreciate it.
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

krimstah wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:Any chance of getting the European model schematic uploaded to google drive or something? I’m not a member of scribd. Interested to see it’s circuitry.
Hi Mark,

Neo & Mark,

I will try and activate service menu tonight , I don't have the remote so i will try an android universal remote app to activate. Will post my findings, Thanks for your advice appreciate it.
Yeah thatll make it tricky, where are you located?
krimstah

Post by krimstah »

NEO-GEO Man wrote:
krimstah wrote:
Hi Mark,

Neo & Mark,

Yeah thatll make it tricky, where are you located?

I'm in Sydney Australia , Managed to get into the service menu by holding vol down on the tv and pressing sleep button 3 times , navigating this menu does not seem to work but i will keep trying with various remote apps

Pictures (Bottom two)

https://imgur.com/a/7NnCsiz
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

krimstah wrote:

I'm in Sydney Australia , Managed to get into the service menu by holding vol down on the tv and pressing sleep button 3 times , navigating this menu does not seem to work but i will keep trying with various remote apps

Pictures (Bottom two)

https://imgur.com/a/7NnCsiz
Ill have a ganda at home and see if i have a Panasonic remote i can loan you, if so i can post it down and you can try it out, but i think i am short a remote for my Panasonic 68cm here too.
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

If that is a Tau GIGA then thatll very likely be a fixed frequency deflection circuit running at something around the 33.75kHz mark.

If its like the 51" Tau i have then itll have the option to run scaled to something like line doubled 50Hz or scan doubled 100Hz.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

krimstah wrote:
Hi Mark,

Neo & Mark,

Hilarious how this stuff works for me, I found one of these sets tonight, well MX-5Z...Funilly enough with the remote sitting on top.

I don't see anything on the Euro schematic that looks like Scart or RGB for this set. Best chance looks like component mod.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
krimstah wrote:
Hi Mark,

Neo & Mark,

Hilarious how this stuff works for me, I found one of these sets tonight, well MX-5Z...Funilly enough with the remote sitting on top.

I don't see anything on the Euro schematic that looks like Scart or RGB for this set. Best chance looks like component mod.
Ive never seen a Panasonic Tau GIGA that had RGB anywhere, theyre a forced scaler set anyway, so unless youre feeding 1080i there is little use in the RGB input.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

NEO-GEO Man wrote: Ive never seen a Panasonic Tau GIGA that had RGB anywhere, theyre a forced scaler set anyway, so unless youre feeding 1080i there is little use in the RGB input.
Mine is pretty bargain basement looking, no idea if it's Tau GIGA....Wouldn't think so.

NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
NEO-GEO Man wrote: Ive never seen a Panasonic Tau GIGA that had RGB anywhere, theyre a forced scaler set anyway, so unless youre feeding 1080i there is little use in the RGB input.
Mine is pretty bargain basement looking, no idea if it's Tau GIGA....Wouldn't think so.
Itll say something like this on the front:

krimstah

Post by krimstah »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
krimstah wrote:
Hi Mark,

Neo & Mark,

What a coincidence , I have been searching for other models that share the same chassis the only other I have been able to find is the following:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wCW1wL ... sp=sharing (No scart input but wired differently for a possible scart input i believe), F Blank is active but connected to pin 43 no 8V.

Looking forward to seeing what you uncover.

Thanks Neo appreciate the offer , Still no luck navigating with the apps but I will continue trying
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

krimstah wrote:
What a coincidence , I have been searching for other models that share the same chassis the only other I have been able to find is the following:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wCW1wL ... sp=sharing (No scart input but wired differently for a possible scart input i believe), F Blank is active but connected to pin 43 no 8V.

Looking forward to seeing what you uncover.

Thanks Neo appreciate the offer , Still no luck navigating with the apps but I will continue trying
No worries mate, ive got 1 Panasonic remote so far and its for a much older set, so itll be of little to no use.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Logitech Harmony remotes fellas. Have codes for almost everything. Look on gumtree/Marketplace for people getting rid of them cheap. Also, the $12 Audiosonic universal remotes from Kmart are killer.

krimstah

Post by krimstah »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Logitech Harmony remotes fellas. Have codes for almost everything. Look on gumtree/Marketplace for people getting rid of them cheap. Also, the $12 Audiosonic universal remotes from Kmart are killer.
Thanks for the tip Mark picked up the last Audiosonic remote from Kmart (Something I needed) , Seems to do the job but still unable to navigate the menu,

In the manual it says the following so according to this im only half way to activating service mode,
2.2. Factory Mode Adjustment
How to set :
To set the Factory mode, press Volume 0 dac on the TV and Timer
Setting 30 min. on the remote control and press Volume (-) Down
button on the TV together press recall on the remote control. /
CHK should appear on right of TV screen. / To move from CHK1 to
CHK2 mode, etc. please follow below rotation :
What i'm doing:

VOL DOWN (on the TV) + Timer/Sleep will bring up the screen that you see in the pictures provided before.

Pressing VOL DOWN(on the TV) + Recall/Last Channel afterwards does not bring up the CHK indicator it exits out of the screen as soon as you press any input on the remote or tv

Not sure if your experiencing the same issues Mark.
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

krimstah wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:Logitech Harmony remotes fellas. Have codes for almost everything. Look on gumtree/Marketplace for people getting rid of them cheap. Also, the $12 Audiosonic universal remotes from Kmart are killer.
Thanks for the tip Mark picked up the last Audiosonic remote from Kmart (Something I needed) , Seems to do the job but still unable to navigate the menu,

In the manual it says the following so according to this im only half way to activating service mode,
2.2. Factory Mode Adjustment
How to set :
To set the Factory mode, press Volume 0 dac on the TV and Timer
Setting 30 min. on the remote control and press Volume (-) Down
button on the TV together press recall on the remote control. /
CHK should appear on right of TV screen. / To move from CHK1 to
CHK2 mode, etc. please follow below rotation :
What i'm doing:

VOL DOWN (on the TV) + Timer/Sleep will bring up the screen that you see in the pictures provided before.

Pressing VOL DOWN(on the TV) + Recall/Last Channel afterwards does not bring up the CHK indicator it exits out of the screen as soon as you press any input on the remote or tv

Not sure if your experiencing the same issues Mark.
Im just putting the AMG back together and ill plug the 51" in and see if its the same.
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

Here is what my manual says are options available to me:

Seikenfreak

Post by Seikenfreak »

Classic Hot Tip: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I was inspired to give shielded wire another go as I realized I had a roll of VGA cable sitting here. Plan was to replace the couple other little caps I didn't have before and hook up the new shielded wire setup. Spent about 6 hours doing it. VGA wire suuuuuucks. Such a pain in the ass. Try it out annnd.. No picture or OSD or sound. Excellent. Only problem I could find was the Sync wire was shorting to ground on its own shielding. Remedied that and still nothing.

TV powers on and I get a raster. Pretty pissed off at myself. Didn't want to spend my weekend dicking around with this and already spent 4 hours this morning messing with it. Not sure whats wrong, research suggests it's somewhere in the video/chroma circuit or maybe low power supply circuit. Don't even know where to begin. Don't feel like aimlessly test probing ten thousand different spots and looking at a schematic til my eyes bleed. Oh well. Probably another junk board.

Edit: And now it's got picture/OSD again. And I haven't done anything except take it in and out and probe crap. :x And immediately after I say that, I plug the TV speakers into the board and the image goes away again and now it won't come back. Looks like I've got a short somewhere tied to the audio.

Edit2: Un-flippin-believable. Shes workin again and I guess I found the issue. At least so far. One of the factory solder joints had come loose on one of the big resistors, I guess from shifting the board around. Impossible to see, except that I had it hooked up and running and just happened to apply pressure on the board just the right way and viola.. static! I had previously jiggled the board and connections to no avail. Once I saw that it was something in the left area of the board (non-HV stuff), I put on a rubber glove and proceeded to carefully touch and feel around that area til the picture came back. Re-soldered and BAM! Hell f'n yea. Now I have to reinstall the whole shielded cable SCART setup again and hope it still works.

Edit3: Well it sorta worked with the shielded wire setup. Picture didn't seem clear. Something seemed buzzy. Maybe I wired it up wrong, but I am not happy at all with how it all looks anyway. Wiring the VGA is so sloppy and annoying. Wires as thin as a hair just break off from twisting, fifty extra unneeded wires in there etc. Don't care anymore. Clearly I don't have the patience or dexterity to handle VGA cable. Took it all back out, reinstalled my ribbon cable setup and all is working again. Looks great and works. Good enough for me. Best of luck to anyone else. This post is an emotional rollercoaster :lol:
lukilla

Post by lukilla »

So I modified a late 2007 sony wega (via amp to the neckboard):

But I´m disappointed because it seems to have some kind of picture processing that doesn´t allow a 100% clean picture, the sharpness setting from the main menu is all the way down otherwise it makes it triple horrible. These are images from a guy with the same tv but he is using a scart to component converter. See how there is some outline-ghosting?, I have the same:

http://i.imgur.com/RtvOLeO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UKkSGsr.jpg

http://www.seganet.com.br/index.php?/to ... p/&page=84

Also there is some kind of cheap software horizontal stretching going on, it´s not 100% artifact free.

What a waste, my Jvc´s and Panasonic´s don´t have these issues.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Seikenfreak wrote: Wiring the VGA is so sloppy and annoying. Wires as thin as a hair just break off from twisting, fifty extra unneeded wires in there etc. Don't care anymore. Clearly I don't have the patience or dexterity to handle VGA cable.
I only use thick, high quality VGA cables, mostly KVM switch cables (Keyboard/Video/Mouse), also I plan ahead and install terminals on the chassis end of the RGB/Blanking. Most of the TVs I have encountered have had chassis where headers could be installed. Trinitrons tend to have text ports just waiting for a header, others have through-hole resistors that are seperated by 0.1 inch. I connect grounds at both ends.

I believe it is well worthwhile.

retromaniak

Post by retromaniak »

Hello.
I have recently become interested in the modification of my receiver. From what I learned, however, it turns out that he is building a picture in a rather unusual way. I would like to ask if you would be able to help me with this operation? Below I attach a service manual.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S0s3Rk ... p=drivesdk
Thank you in advance for helpful answers.
sk8er000

Post by sk8er000 »

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I've found for a very low price the following CCTV monitor: TVS CM-14DNA 14-inch Color CCTV (some times branded Eversun or something else)

It ouputs only composite and svideo that can be selected through a switch on the rear:

It hasn't the quality of a pvm but from the specs it has around 450/500 TVL so I think that an RGB mod worth the effort.

I've opened the case and searched the Jungle IC, I think tha is pretty similar to the one reported here:
Syntax wrote:I had the most backward jungle IC yesterday, ended up throwing the set out.
CENTREX
Jungle SANYO LA76810A

R - 14
G - 15
B - 16
Blanking - 17 (3v)

PDF schematic has an odd setup for RGB input, wants the signal clamped THEN terminated with a 1k resistor.
The jungle will not accept any clamped signal though, 3 different values and 3 different types of caps used, none will get signal through.
Looks at OSD and its just going through a 4.7k resistor on each color line, no terminations or caps...
Terminated with 75ohm resistors the picture is too dark..
So I put a 1k pot on the tail end of my 75ohm resistors which should of in theory made the picture darker as I increase the termination resistance.
As I increase the resistance it gets BRIGHTER!

I removed the termination resistors and put a triple gang 1k pot in its place. Its effectively a brightness knob now.
Connecting it directly to the jungle results in a black screen that you can turn up to white.
Since when do direct terminations with no signal feed make a white screen??
The Jungles internal channels were blue pink and yellow when you terminate 2 so you can see 1.
Internal color channels... WTF
Its like the whole Peak to Peak reading of the color channels is inverted logic or something.

I threw the set away though because I couldn't get definition in the RGB picture, The black levels were all whack I think.
That and the 4pdt and scart connectors worth more.
Literally the most backwards Jungle ive ever worked on, Centrex must of wired so wrong but I didn't have the time to check it further.
I did get RGB out of it so ill call it a draw.
This is my Model: LA76818J
Spoiler
The only datasheet I found is for the LA76818A but it should be the same:
https://pl-1.org/getproductfile.axd?id= ... A76818.pdf
and
https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 6818A.html

The RGB IN are pin 14 - 15 - 16 and 17 for blanking.

I'd like to know how shoud I proceed to perform the RGB mod in this monitor.
Thank you in advance
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

You know your target pins, time to inspect the board (photos/multimeter/visual) and document the circuits.

thebeautifulones

Post by thebeautifulones »

lukilla wrote:So I modified a late 2007 sony wega (via amp to the neckboard):

But I´m disappointed because it seems to have some kind of picture processing that doesn´t allow a 100% clean picture, the sharpness setting from the main menu is all the way down otherwise it makes it triple horrible. These are images from a guy with the same tv but he is using a scart to component converter. See how there is some outline-ghosting?, I have the same:

http://i.imgur.com/RtvOLeO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UKkSGsr.jpg

http://www.seganet.com.br/index.php?/to ... p/&page=84

Also there is some kind of cheap software horizontal stretching going on, it´s not 100% artifact free.

What a waste, my Jvc´s and Panasonic´s don´t have these issues.
Do you see a velocity modulation or "VM" setting anywhere in the menu or service menu? I know that causes awful edge enhancement on stock Wegas.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

retromaniak wrote:Hello.
I have recently become interested in the modification of my receiver. From what I learned, however, it turns out that he is building a picture in a rather unusual way. I would like to ask if you would be able to help me with this operation? Below I attach a service manual.
All,

retromaniak needs help doing a neck board mod for this set. I don't do neck mods and told him to post here in case someone could help him. I know there are guys here that do them.

lukilla

Post by lukilla »

thebeautifulones wrote: Do you see a velocity modulation or "VM" setting anywhere in the menu or service menu? I know that causes awful edge enhancement on stock Wegas.
I´ll check next time thanks.
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
All,

retromaniak needs help doing a neck board mod for this set. I don't do neck mods and told him to post here in case someone could help him. I know there are guys here that do them.
Well its effen hard to read some of that, but pins 2,4 and 5 on the neckboard are RGB, and it looks as though the amps are on the neckboard, but its abit hard to follow that manual.
retromaniak

Post by retromaniak »

NEO-GEO Man wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:
All,

Well its effen hard to read some of that, but pins 2,4 and 5 on the neckboard are RGB, and it looks as though the amps are on the neckboard, but its abit hard to follow that manual.
Hello. I probably managed to solve the problem. If what I assume after consulting a certain person will work, I will definitely share the result of the work.
NEO-GEO Man

Post by NEO-GEO Man »

retromaniak wrote:
Hello. I probably managed to solve the problem. If what I assume after consulting a certain person will work, I will definitely share the result of the work.
Let us know how ya go mate
retromaniak

Post by retromaniak »

NEO-GEO Man wrote:Let us know how ya go mate
At the moment I can share the diagram, because that's all I could do.
Connections to the pins refer to IC M51393AP