RQ: R-Type Stage 5 boss help?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
lank.g01

RQ: R-Type Stage 5 boss help?

Post by lank.g01 »

Hi all!
I'm a relatively new shmup player and I am trying to complete my first 1CC of R-Type arcade (World Rom). I have manage to find some pretty good strategies for most levels and bosses just by reading these great forums and watching runs on youtube, but I am struggling to find a consistent method in defeating the stage 5 boss.

This boss seems to be absolutely random in it's flight patterns and speed, I have read you can manipulate it's speed depending on your ships starting position but this does not seem to work for me. More often than not the boss comes charging at me at full speed usually making it's way to the top left position. With this pattern I struggle to dodge it's projectiles and most times will be hit. If I do manage to get the slow pattern this fight becomes significantly easier.

So basically I'm asking what methods I can try to receive the slower pattern and if I do receive the faster pattern what are my best strategies at this point.

Thanks heaps in advance!
Cheers
Christian
Square_Air

Re: RQ: R-Type Stage 5 boss help?

Post by Square_Air »

While I too have heard that you can manipulate the 5th bosses movements, I've never been able to accomplish it, nor have I seen anyone properly documenting this manipulation. Until I can confirm it myself, I'm going to assume it's just hearsay. That being said, the 5th boss in both loops is the true choke point of R-Type and is very random, but there are a few techniques that help make the boss more manageable. Depending on what speed you play the game at, it might be a good idea to pick up another speed at the start of stage 5 to help you with looping around the bosses fast patterns. I don't do this for the first loop, but I always grab one in the second. This of course makes the 6th stage more difficult, but if you can adapt to the higher speed it can be a welcome trade off.

Another option that i feel might be beneficial is shooting the force inside the boss at the beginning and then quickly retracting it while firing the entire time. I don't have any hard data to back this up, but It seems like "softening up" the boss to weaken the projectiles (including the ones deep in the center) makes them a bit easier to shoot down when they approach you. Besides these options, practicing the different patterns (I believe there's 3 or 4 variations?) will allow you to react as fast as possible so you can follow up with more carefully planned movements. That fast pattern has ended many runs in R-Type, and it takes some practice to get used to looping around it. Consistency isn't easy to achieve here, but understanding the fast pattern will increase your odds.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |