Joystick for Shmups on Nintendo Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
durias

Joystick for Shmups on Nintendo Switch

Post by durias »

What joystick--fighting stick or otherwise--do you recommend for playing shmups on Nintendo Switch?
bigbadboaz

Re: Joystick for Shmups on Nintendo Switch

Post by bigbadboaz »

Offhand, there's a Hori RAP that might be the most serious option.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

I'm plotting on purchasing a Switch stick too.

Recently saw a review of the "8BitDo N30 Bluetooth Arcade Joystick" https://youtu.be/SJkYSDOjGjM

It seemed OK. I like the versatility/comparability. But not too sure of the build quality or if it can be easily modded with better parts

Ideally, one day I'd just like to have one decent stick that works with everything... under $150...
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I'm using a modded Mayflash F500

Playing Dragon Blaze and recently bought Thunder Force IV for switch
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

I don’t have a switch but I held out on solding in a special board into my madtcatz stick. Maybe Brook has a usb adapter for the switch. I used one for my 360 stick to my ps4 and it works flawlessly.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I heard the 8bitdo stick is similar to the Mayflash F300, but with support for less systems. I heard they can be modded and there's even a version of the F300 equipped with Sanwa parts (F300 elite). The Mayflash Magic-NS adapter seems to work well for 360 joysticks like the RAP SE.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I have a Mayflash F300 that I modded with all Sanwa parts, that I'm really happy with and works on almost everything from the last 2 gens. Though I find that Nintendo's USB support does produce a little bit of lag, or maybe lag isn't the right term for it. Basically it seems like on the Switch Nintendo is polling the USB at a really low rate, so it doesn't feel as responsive as the stick does on other platforms. I hope that's something that eventually address in a future firmware update.
rfisher

Post by rfisher »

I also use a modified Mayflash F300. Works great on all of my systems.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Been using the magic NS adapter with a madcatz SE with no problems to speak of, not a bad setup, cheap and plentiful. Keep the drivers up to date though
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

The brooks universal fighting board seems to be the best option if you have an old stick lying around (It's a pcb you put into an exisiting arcade stick - it has solderless options I believe). It's expensive, but cheaper than a new arcade stick and will work with nearly everything. Will be getting one myself to upgrade an old omni etokki stick.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I have an HRAP for the Switch. It's ok.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Brook indeed does make their adapters for the switch, I have a 360 to Switch adapter from them myself so I can use my trusty Madcatz stick.
durias

Post by durias »

cave hermit wrote:Brook indeed does make their adapters for the switch, I have a 360 to Switch adapter from them myself so I can use my trusty Madcatz stick.
Is this the adapter you're talking about? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753XF3WT/re ... nCbM9SWSBD
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Yup, looks like the one.

I can't say that much about it besides that it works; I used it once, but with the way I have my switch setup in the living room it's too much of a hassle to get the fightstick over.

If it's anything like my brook 360 to PS4 adapter though, it should work great as long as you remember the occasional firmware update.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

cave hermit wrote:Yup, looks like the one.

I can't say that much about it besides that it works; I used it once, but with the way I have my switch setup in the living room it's too much of a hassle to get the fightstick over.

If it's anything like my brook 360 to PS4 adapter though, it should work great as long as you remember the occasional firmware update.
Have you tried your adapter on your ps3 ( if you have one?) oddly enough mine worked. I just happened to try it since the ps3 did an update that allows the use of a ps4 controller, same results though as the home button does not work..
durias

Post by durias »

Thanks for all the advice, everybody! I bit the bullet (heh heh) and bought the HORI Hayabusa. Can't wait for it to be delivered!
tripletopper

Post by tripletopper »

I got a Playstation 2 stick i would like to temporarily use until my dream joystick gets built.

It’s a Street Fighter 15th Anniversary stick for PS2/OXbox.

The unique thing is it has been right-handed.

I currently use it for a 360, One, Wii Classic , PS3, and Dreamcast systems from PS2.

I would like the ability to play with a ftick on the Switch, except Street Fignter 30th does not work on a PS2 stick. You can go to the attract mode, not no further.

Evdentually I’l get it when I use A PS3-> Swithc adapter, but chaining 2 adapters, even if it works, like on Mega Man 11, stops working after 5 minutes.

By the way, I would get a PS2-> SNES and PS2-> Genesis except the only manufacturer is Tototek, and they don’t customize mappings to a YBA arrangement on SNES or ABC arrangement on Genesis. No one has a fight friendly adapter..

. They currently use a BAR standard instead. and for Genesis they use the PS3/PS4/360/XOne arrangement, not good for Genesis games.

Especially when the "main 2 buttons" of most games are on SNES Y and B
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I use a complete custom-built stick:

I was disatisfied with the 8BitDo stick (poor battery life, syncing was a pain, there was noticeable input lag)... so I stripped it bare until it was an empty shell. I then added a Seimitsu LS-32 joystick with a Blaz Blu custom dust cover and clear green balltop, 8 Sanwa OBSF buttons and replaced the internals with a PCB gutted from a Pokken Tournament pad (with a 5-pin connector for the stick and quick disconnects for the 8 buttons soldered on).

The button layout is a bit odd:
The top 24 mm button is +
The main upper row is Y, B, A, -
The main lower row is X, L, R
The function buttons in the upper left do nothing as the mini PCB is no longer wired and simply serves to fill space.

I chose this ordering to make playing Shikhondo more comfortable (as the game uses Y, B and A but doesn't offer button remapping).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Does the wired mayflash F500 stick fare better? From what I seen of input lag tests on youtube, I'm guessing no, but it looks like they have some with Sanwa parts now. I'm also under the impression that some of the 8bitdo sticks and adapters are made by the same makers as some Mayflash products, though the 8bitdo stick is not exactly the same as the similar Mayflash one. I have the Mayflash dongle adapter and like it, though I heard it adds a slight bit of lag.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I play mostly with my Switch Hori HRAP (changed stick and buttons to Seimitsu, but IMO the stick and buttons are more matter of preference, I wanted such with medium to low travel and not super sensitive buttons). I think it works great.

I have also 8bitdo bluetooth M30, which I think has the best dpad available now for Switch (one I have tried at least). I also have 8bitdo N30pro, which has more that + style dpad, which is fine too. Both are relatively cheap controllers for what they offer. Just remember to install latest firmware if you get those.

Switch pro controller is great except for the dpad which sucks, so not recommended for shmups.

haven't tried this myself, but I know people who say it has great dpad (who play fighters with it) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A6LEXFK/ ... oDbPF05Y9Q

Then there are of course those brooks universal fighting board if you need to have option for using arcade stick for multiple consoles (I use brook adapters too, but mainly for having another arcade stick for co-op arcade gaming).
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Kiken wrote:I use a complete custom-built stick:

I was disatisfied with the 8BitDo stick (poor battery life, syncing was a pain, there was noticeable input lag)... so I stripped it bare until it was an empty shell. I then added a Seimitsu LS-32 joystick with a Blaz Blu custom dust cover and clear green balltop, 8 Sanwa OBSF buttons and replaced the internals with a PCB gutted from a Pokken Tournament pad (with a 5-pin connector for the stick and quick disconnects for the 8 buttons soldered on).

The button layout is a bit odd:
The top 24 mm button is +
The main upper row is Y, B, A, -
The main lower row is X, L, R
The function buttons in the upper left do nothing as the mini PCB is no longer wired and simply serves to fill space.

I chose this ordering to make playing Shikhondo more comfortable (as the game uses Y, B and A but doesn't offer button remapping).
The Pokken Control Pad works for other games as well? I know the Wii U Pokken Pad only worked for Pokken.
I really like the colors and the clear colored buttons. The BlazBlue dust cover really adds a nice touch to everything.

Where did you order the dust cover?

I've actually been customizing a few of my arcade sticks lately with custom buttons and art work. I bought a few vynel wraps from Arcade shock and did up their Astro City versions of the Hory RAP 4 in both green and pink for both Player 1 and 2. I went with Tek-Innovation's Plexi for the HRAP 4 for the player 2 Side and I was not happy due to the plenxi not being flush with the stick. Both have LS-32 Levers and Seimitsu PS 15 Push Buttons. I actually swapped my Omron Micro Switch from the New LS-32 for my Old Panasonic Micro Switches. After using the New LS-32 I'm finding it feels mushy like my Sanwa JLF. Its really hard to tell but I can tell a difference between the two micro switches.

Astro City P1
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0748/ ... 1521710490

Astro City P2
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0748/ ... 1521710490

I've got an order coming in with a custom MayFlash F500 art that takes after the NeoGeo AES joystick
and I've got art work coming in for my Hori Fighting Edge that takes after the NeoGeo Japan Cabinet with my own spin added in :).

The F500 uses Hori Kuro Buttons and at the moment New LS-32
Hori Fighting Edge will use Seimitsu PS 15 in the NeoGeo color scheme for the buttons

Also got a few Kowal Actuators to mod my JLF and Hayabusa to see if I'd prefer those sticks over the LS-32.

Here are the prints for the F500 and the Fighting Edge if anyone is interested :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11ONqON ... sp=sharing

BrianC wrote:Does the wired mayflash F500 stick fare better? From what I seen of input lag tests on youtube, I'm guessing no, but it looks like they have some with Sanwa parts now. I'm also under the impression that some of the 8bitdo sticks and adapters are made by the same makers as some Mayflash products, though the 8bitdo stick is not exactly the same as the similar Mayflash one. I have the Mayflash dongle adapter and like it, though I heard it adds a slight bit of lag.
If there is lag on the F500 I wouldn't know. This is the only video I found on youtube regarding lag.

https://youtu.be/VcnYUuJmdlw

Looks good enough for me if its only losing a few exchanges.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Shelcoof wrote:The Pokken Control Pad works for other games as well? I know the Wii U Pokken Pad only worked for Pokken.
I really like the colors and the clear colored buttons. The BlazBlue dust cover really adds a nice touch to everything.

Despite all the blurbs on the box for the Switch Pokken Pad ( this one ) stating that's it's strictly for use with that game, it's just a digital game pad. It'll work with anything that accepts digital controller and button inputs. I had purchased one earlier and used it to play all the Psikyo and ACA releases along with the Crash trilogy. So yeah, it works just fine.

The dust cover I purchased from Arcade Shock. I also picked up a Guilty Gear themed one and a Third Strike themed one. They run about $8 each.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Mayflash F300
Never even occurred to me that I could update this thing. So, I guess that's what I'm using now when not using a Saturn controller.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Kiken wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:The Pokken Control Pad works for other games as well? I know the Wii U Pokken Pad only worked for Pokken.

Despite all the blurbs on the box for the Switch Pokken Pad ( this one ) stating that's it's strictly for use with that game, it's just a digital game pad. It'll work with anything that accepts digital controller and button inputs. I had purchased one earlier and used it to play all the Psikyo and ACA releases along with the Crash trilogy. So yeah, it works just fine.

The dust cover I purchased from Arcade Shock. I also picked up a Guilty Gear themed one and a Third Strike themed one. They run about $8 each.
I've always wanted the Pokken Control Pad for some weird reason. Even though I own a few Switch Pro controllers I'm going to pick this one up knowing at least I can use on other games

Thanks for clearing this up for me :)
gatsu25

Post by gatsu25 »

I would like to know if anyone has a solution for a PS2 stick on their switch.

I have an HRAP for PS2 that I use for lots of systems with adapters.

I have tried 2 different PS2 to GameCube adapters in the GameCube controller adapter for switch to no avail. It won't recognize a controller.

Is it worth trying, or is it worth getting a stick for more modern systems?

Apologies for highjacking the thread, but there is not much info on this.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I have an off-the-shelf HRAP V and love it. It's a tad pricey, but with all the retro ports and shmups it's gotten a ton of love in my house so far.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
FRO

Post by FRO »

BrianC wrote:Does the wired mayflash F500 stick fare better? From what I seen of input lag tests on youtube, I'm guessing no, but it looks like they have some with Sanwa parts now. I'm also under the impression that some of the 8bitdo sticks and adapters are made by the same makers as some Mayflash products, though the 8bitdo stick is not exactly the same as the similar Mayflash one. I have the Mayflash dongle adapter and like it, though I heard it adds a slight bit of lag.
I'm curious about this as well. I'm looking at the F500 Elite, and it would be a good solution for me for 360/PS3/PS4/Switch and PC, especially if I can go wired to most of those. I want to eventually build my own stick with Brooks boards, and be able to make something that can handle adapters for older consoles, but the up front expense is too much to shoulder right now.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

gatsu25 wrote:I would like to know if anyone has a solution for a PS2 stick on their switch.

I have an HRAP for PS2 that I use for lots of systems with adapters.

I have tried 2 different PS2 to GameCube adapters in the GameCube controller adapter for switch to no avail. It won't recognize a controller.

Is it worth trying, or is it worth getting a stick for more modern systems?

Apologies for highjacking the thread, but there is not much info on this.
PS1 stick shown working here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjd3_vcdHg
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

FRO wrote: I'm curious about this as well. I'm looking at the F500 Elite, and it would be a good solution for me for 360/PS3/PS4/Switch and PC, especially if I can go wired to most of those. I want to eventually build my own stick with Brooks boards, and be able to make something that can handle adapters for older consoles, but the up front expense is too much to shoulder right now.
I can assure you the MayFlash F500 is a simple and easy solution for PS4/PS3/Xbone/X360/PC and it works with the most up to date Brooks PS2 and Brooks Dreamcast converters.

You really don't the Brooks board at all.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Shelcoof wrote:
FRO wrote:I can assure you the MayFlash F500 is a simple and easy solution for PS4/PS3/Xbone/X360/PC and it works with the most up to date Brooks PS2 and Brooks Dreamcast converters.

You really don't the Brooks board at all.
I'm thinking more for older retro stuff, i.e. PlayStation, Saturn, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, etc. I know that if I built a custom stick with the Brooks fighting board, and married it with the retro board, I can buy RJ45 plug converters for many older consoles, and I can get a lot of mileage out of that. The up front expense of the parts to build it, however, is the sticking point (pun intended) for me. Just a good stick body can be pricey, if I want to get something that's already cut, molded, and has the holes I need for stick and buttons. I don't really have tools to do the work myself, so I need something that's already kind of plug and play. I might look into the Brooks PS2 and DC converters, though, to see what they would set me back. That might be worth looking into for an interim solution.