Fire Lancer (SwanCrystal / WonderSwanColor)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
clippa

Re: Fire Lancer (SwanCrystal / WonderSwanColor)

Post by clippa »

trap15 wrote:It runs at 60fps on wonderswan, and that's how your pc should run it.
Thanks, man! Looking forward to trying this out!
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

I need this on cart.
fryster

Post by fryster »

Cart please
Image Image Image
donluca

Post by donluca »

I saw this yesterday on Aquas' stream and it was really fantastic. Didn't watch long enough to see Real War Mode, but the game looks really solid and polished and the score (edit: I mean the music! Damn. :D ) is great!

Now I need to find a Wonderswan... or is there a Steam Win/Mac/Linux port in the foreseeable future?
I mean, a full featured port which is not just an emulator.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Check out the download for a windows port :) it's no emulator
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Runs great in WINE, too! :D
Humans, think about what you have done
donluca

Post by donluca »

trap15 wrote:Check out the download for a windows port :) it's no emulator
Damn, don't know why, but I was 100% sure that was running on an emu, I think I've read it somewhere, but I might be making things up.

That's awesome, btw, and I'll definitely try it out on Wine!
donluca

Post by donluca »

I've made a ready-to-go wrapper for macOS, if trap is ok with this I can share it for non-tech savvy Mac users.

You just have to launch it and it will open the game windowed and maximized. To change settings right-click the application, Show Contents and edit the settings.cfg file. There's another file there with all the settings explained.
zakk

Post by zakk »

If you aren't already, for a macOS wrapper I would suggest using an engine that has SDL gamepad support compiled in with the proper registry key set so it uses it. Makes gamepad/stick/etc use way way better for wine apps.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

The game is fantastic - we're hardly talking about it though?

I'm not sure I understand why sometimes I get stage B, and sometimes stage C. I assumed it was based on rank, score, number of misses etc as C seems to be clearly more difficult, but after a few runs I thought were decent went to B that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess I haven't tested whether which side of the screen you end A on matters...

Also curious how one unlocks Real War. The ending to Heavy makes mention of Real War, but I unlocked Trial instead. Clearing Light didn't seem to unlock anything.

Is there a rundown of how the different Types change the ship's stats?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
trap15

Post by trap15 »

donluca wrote:I've made a ready-to-go wrapper for macOS, if trap is ok with this I can share it for non-tech savvy Mac users.

You just have to launch it and it will open the game windowed and maximized. To change settings right-click the application, Show Contents and edit the settings.cfg file. There's another file there with all the settings explained.
I'll be doing a bug-fix release (hopefully) early January, and I'm intending to (at least try to) include Linux and macOS builds into that. For now, I'd rather not unless you can still require downloading the original zip package... Sorry.
CStarFlare wrote:Also curious how one unlocks Real War. The ending to Heavy makes mention of Real War, but I unlocked Trial instead. Clearing Light didn't seem to unlock anything.
Check the DATA section in settings ;)
CStarFlare wrote:Is there a rundown of how the different Types change the ship's stats?
Should be there in the manual, unless you wanted specifics, in which case I'll leave that to others :)
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
dadflail

Post by dadflail »

Game crashes immediately on startup, anything I can do or is my toaster too old?

Crash log
clippa

Post by clippa »

This feels so good.
Please tell me there'll be a pc version of the finished game, I'm more than happy to wait if it'll maximise the sales of the wonderswan version.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

dadflail wrote:Game crashes immediately on startup, anything I can do or is my toaster too old?

Crash log
I'm honestly astonished anything works for you at all these days lol. Yes, you need to have a half-decent graphics card which properly supports shaders.
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

Works great on my Wonderswan, good job so far :)
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I am surprised there aren't even more posts here. Fire Lancer is a really great game, and I just love the aggressive playstyle you have to use to get high scores.
As a fan of Thunder Dragon 2, I am feeling right at home in this game, and I absolutely appreciate the additional mechanics that are layered on top of the classic TD2 gameplay style and waves such as collecting medals to recharge the bomb.

I play with the Zamenhof ship, which is kinda tricky to use in comparison with the Fire Lancer, but the option management is fun and adds another mechanic on top of everything else. It must be the Illvelo player in me that likes putting options on a side or very near a big enemy to take care of it while I do my bidding elsewhere. :mrgreen:

There is also a newer version now, which is supposed to fix the VSync issues and stuff.
Oh, before I forget : I do have an issue with the PC demo crashing when closing it if I have OBS Studio that is active and if the focus has been lost once. Scores are saved and all but closing the game causes a crash if those conditions are met. For the info, I play with the full screen 0 setting and on a dual monitor set-up.
If I try the fullscreen 1 setting, the game crashes shortly after I make it lose focus (by clicking on the other monitor for instance)
This issue is not affecting me while actually playing but I thought I should let you know. Maybe others have a similar issue? The Windows event observer targets atioglxx.dll as the failing module, so maybe it's a driver problem?

By the way, is anyone else playing the same as I? On the Heavy leaderboards, I guess I am the only one who plays it rather seriously, but if anyone has tips and techniques with that ship, I would love to hear them.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
RiderKick

Post by RiderKick »

Can't believe i had never heard of this game right now, tried the PC demo and really enjoyed it and...i guess it's still a WS only game?

Sucks if that's the case, because i really enjoyed the demo but i don't own a WonderSwan...unless the Rom will be sold or something like that so that whoever doesn't own a WS can play it on an emulator?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Nice work to all involved! :)

Having some trouble using my gamepad with this game. Specifically the D-Pad on my official Wired 360 pad seems to lock up all the time for some reason, especially when trying to circle around quickly or go in one direction then quickly go in another.

The first download I got didn't have any documentation in either of the settings files, good to see there's comments in the new demo and also a timer/vsync option. For me, I made an exception in the nVIDIA Control Panel to force vsync with the first demo build to make it not run at 9000% speed, and left the new demo build settings at default and it seems to be working a charm apart from the aforementioned bug.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Nice work to all involved! :)

Having some trouble using my gamepad with this game. Specifically the D-Pad on my official Wired 360 pad seems to lock up all the time for some reason, especially when trying to circle around quickly or go in one direction then quickly go in another.
I get the same issue with my 360 pad, but not other pads. If you really wanna use the 360 pad at this time, you can set the Joyuse setting at the very end of the settings.cfg to some number, like 6 or whatever, to make sure your plugged in joypad does not get addressed. Then you can use Joy2Key instead. A bit fiddly, but it works. Glad you are enjoying the game :)
RiderKick wrote:Can't believe i had never heard of this game right now, tried the PC demo and really enjoyed it and...i guess it's still a WS only game?

Sucks if that's the case, because i really enjoyed the demo but i don't own a WonderSwan...unless the Rom will be sold or something like that so that whoever doesn't own a WS can play it on an emulator?
No plans right now for anything but WonderSwan Color cartridge release.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The scoring competitions are drawing to a close, there's just over 3 days left to submit!
Ako

Post by Ako »

zak

Post by zak »

Trap, please make an EXA version! :o
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Apparently there is a new demo version out which contains some fixes:

http://firelancer.ws/download/
Last edited by schleichfahrt on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Please don't link the file directly :wink:

The fixes are minor, so if the last version worked fine you shouldn't need it (though it could be possible to get better input latency with the new version).
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

trap15 wrote:Please don't link the file directly :wink:
Fixed.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

On first boot the game threw up a fast fail exception error or something, but then continued to run normally, and the message didn't pop up on subsequent runs. Should I be concerned?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

No idea what that is, but if it works, it works.
ekorz

Post by ekorz »

Just here to say I really wish this game worked on the wonderswan color with the ips screen replacement mod. Fingers crossed there’s a way to make it work someday.
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

ekorz wrote:Just here to say I really wish this game worked on the wonderswan color with the ips screen replacement mod. Fingers crossed there’s a way to make it work someday.
I unfortunately just discovered this too. Has anyone let the developer know about it?
ekorz

Post by ekorz »

schnuth wrote:
ekorz wrote:Just here to say I really wish this game worked on the wonderswan color with the ips screen replacement mod. Fingers crossed there’s a way to make it work someday.
I unfortunately just discovered this too. Has anyone let the developer know about it?
I dunno if it’s realistic to change the game. Maybe the best shot we have is this https://twitter.com/moftsoft/status/117 ... 28742?s=21