Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Skykid

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Skykid »

Sumez wrote:
Skykid wrote: Yeah, I've had it happen by chance a couple of times but I'm yet to come across a point where it's really useful or can't be overcome by brute force. I'm sure I'll find some places where I'd like it to be available though!
Some times someone will guard an edge further ahead, while dangers come from above. If you wait for them to back off outside the screen, they will consistently despawn while being unable to respawn as long as you've moved far enough forward.
This requires stopping shortly though, so some people might see it as a newbie move. I think it's cool. :P

For the birds it's pretty much standard procedure, I don't even think about that as despawning. Basically, instead of fighting them, any area that allows you to press on continuously, you'll want to just dodge the birds as you move on. They will disappear behind the opposite side of the screen before being able to switch directions and swoop down on you.
Yep I've definitely experienced enemies disappearing off the back of the screen, birds especially as long as I can outpace them. I have no qualms about using the method for a clear, especially with the aggressiveness of the spawning generally.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Ninja Gaiden is a cruel enough game that using some of the more underhanded tactics feels deserved without cheapening the entire experience.
"Think you can get me after respawning in the same spot just like that, clown? Just you wait 'till I move the edge of the screen..."
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Durandal wrote:Ninja Gaiden is a cruel enough game that using some of the more underhanded tactics feels deserved without cheapening the entire experience.
Ninjas don't fight for honor!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Skykid wrote:It's a game held in such high regard I like to think everything about it is intentional, even though when I'm playing it I'm totally questioning whether or not is actually was, lol.

To me it seems like a game designed for future generations (us) as adults who would commit to felling it at full speed with as much aggressiveness as it puts out.

You'll need to explain about weaponising the camera though. Is that to do with making certain enemies disappear?
I have no idea how much of Ninja Gaiden was deliberate and how much was a happy accident, but there's no way the developers weren't at least aware of the respawning situation. And yeah, I mean using the camera to despawn enemies. They don't even have to be all the way off the edge of the screen to disappear. It's a good way to deal with the ubiquitous birds, and despawning the sword-throwing dude on the 6-2 bridge can save you a ton of trouble.

Another thing worth mentioning is that a few enemies (birds, jetpack ninjas, Jaquio) have hitboxes that I find to be misleading. If you have trouble landing hits on them, the solution to all three is to aim a bit higher. If you stand on flat ground against a bird it'll line itself up perfectly for your sword's hitbox, and you can see that you want to aim for the middle of its wings rather than its body. I suspect the sword's hitbox is a few pixels lower than it appears to be, maybe to facilitate quick jumpslashes, but it's only against those three enemy types that I've had problems with it.
Skykid wrote:It's not though! Ocarina is gold standard game design; it's absolutely beautiful, if marginally imperfect. Personally, I feel like the initial start as baby Link goes on too long and throws the pacing out, but that's literally the only issue I have with it and it's a minor one. Play to the point where the time shifts and you go into the future and it just builds and builds. It's a magical piece of work and when I replayed it on the 3DS I found it didn't just match the original experience, but the small tweaks and graphical refinements made it even better.

It's godly, it can't be overrated.
It has its share of good points, and it's one of the most graceful 2d to 3d transitions of all time, but it's also way too slow and barren. Most of the cool things in Ocarina were also present in older Zelda games, but a lot of the cool things in those games aren't in Ocarina. Compare Zelda 3's overworld where you come across something new every few seconds against the flat, empty wasteland that is Ocarina's Hyrule Field. It's really linear compared to most of its predecessors too. Not that linearity is inherently bad, but earlier Zeldas, especially Zelda 1, used non-linearity to great effect and Ocarina throws that aspect of the series away. It's lame that basically every boss can only be damaged in one way, usually by the weapon from their dungeon. I know that dodongo disliked smoke all the way back in Zelda 1, but that was the exception rather than the rule. Anyway, Ocarina is without question one of the most important and influential games of all time, and there's certainly nothing outstandingly bad about it, but it's still far from beyond reproach.

Though personally I think the series lost its way with Zelda 3 and how toothless it made everything.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

It wasn't just Dodongo; Digdogger, Ghoma, and Gannon all had weaknesses that could only be attacked by one special weapon (Digdogger and Gannon both had weaknesses that were found in their dungeon), and Manhandla, Lanmola, and Aquamentus all had "secondary weaknesses" that were much more effective at taking them out quickly (Aquamentus's was found in the dungeon he's first encountered in, and Lanmola's was found in the previous dungeon). The only real freeform boss was Gleeok, and the only freeform miniboss was Patras; all of the others had some sort of item weakness.

(Also, I've always suspected that the recent spate of criticism against OoT is mostly a case of "guilt by association". It didn't really start until Twilight Princess [which certainly deserves every bit of criticism possible, it's in my "bottom 3 worst-of-all-time" list easily] came out, and everyone said "OMG, TP is a return to the form of OoT, and is almost just like it!" when it really isn't much like OoT at all.)
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Anyone know much about the games in the Kunio-kun collection, and if it's worth getting? I'm familiar with Double Dragon, Renegade and River City Ransom, but not much outside that.

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/kunio-kun-t ... ii-and-iii
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Marc

Post by Marc »

Nice, be having some of that. All NES ports I presume?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Vanguard wrote: It has its share of good points, and it's one of the most graceful 2d to 3d transitions of all time, but it's also way too slow and barren. Most of the cool things in Ocarina were also present in older Zelda games, but a lot of the cool things in those games aren't in Ocarina.
Wow, this is probably the most elegant way of putting my exact feelings about Ocarina into words. I wish I could have put it like this.
Though personally I think the series lost its way with Zelda 3 and how toothless it made everything.
Did you try Oracle of Seasons? I think that game finds a bit of the old tooth. It's not super hard or anything, but it feels like more of an action game than any other game in the series past Zelda 2.
But if you're doing both Oracle games in sequence, start out with Seasons, otherwise it's going to be too easy. Ages is already easy.
Obscura wrote: (Also, I've always suspected that the recent spate of criticism against OoT is mostly a case of "guilt by association". It didn't really start until Twilight Princess [which certainly deserves every bit of criticism possible, it's in my "bottom 3 worst-of-all-time" list easily] came out, and everyone said "OMG, TP is a return to the form of OoT, and is almost just like it!" when it really isn't much like OoT at all.)
I feel the opposite. OoT was a pretty huge letdown for me right when it came out, but I've come to love it since.
When Twilight Princess came out I remember everyone lamenting that it was just Ocarina over again, and it really wasn't as popular as you make it out to be. But to me, it is simply a better version of Ocarina of Time. It takes both the strengths and flaws of its predecessor, and expands on both of them. There's still a lot of exposition and running around and talking, but it does it really well, and the dungeons are generally much more varied, fun and creative. I like both games, but I definitely like TP more.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Does anyone know how to increase default lives in Contra: Shattered Soldier?

I have four default lives right now, but I saw some of players can gain five lives and four credits.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

If you're looking for challenge in zeldo you're in the wrong place now. I let that go a while ago. Still, I do appreciate the challenge in OoT/MM compared to their successors, certainly TP.
TP was a fucking let down to me.

Maybe we need a zeldo dust-up thread.
.. in which everyone admits which one they really grew up playing :wink:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:If you're looking for challenge in zeldo you're in the wrong place now. I let that go a while ago. Still, I do appreciate the challenge in OoT/MM compared to their successors, certainly TP.
TP was a fucking let down to me.

Maybe we need a zeldo dust-up thread.
.. in which everyone admits which one they really grew up playing :wink:
Good idea. 3 all the way for me about age 14. Tried to play 1 several times and find it pretty archaic. 2... horrid. OoT is amazing, brilliant translation into 3D. I'd agree it can occasionally feel a bit barren, but the stuff that is there all matters. Min, I liked all the 3D ones up until TP, bounced off that hard, but may have been overfamiliarity by that point. I ended up getting rid of BotW because it just didn't hold my interest in the same way that Elder Scrolls or Far Cry games have always ended up boring me. Funnily enough I'm really hoping for TPHD for Switch, I'm ready for a traditional Zelda to get my teeth into after all these years.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
NYN

Post by NYN »

copy-paster wrote:Does anyone know how to increase default lives in Contra: Shattered Soldier?

I have four default lives right now, but I saw some of players can gain five lives and four credits.
I'd say playing time. Save your game after you Game Over, and at certain intervals it should increase.
But don't make me sit down on a Spread Shot if it doesn't.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I guess that makes sense, have over 10 hours of playtime too.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Twilight Princess was a waste of life. I was so numb by the end I couldn't wait for it to be over. Best part of that game was using it to hack my Wii.

First drop off point in the Zelda series was Wind Waker most definitely, and it took until Breath of the Wild to really win back the glory of those early years.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Obscura wrote:It wasn't just Dodongo; Digdogger, Ghoma, and Gannon all had weaknesses that could only be attacked by one special weapon (Digdogger and Gannon both had weaknesses that were found in their dungeon), and Manhandla, Lanmola, and Aquamentus all had "secondary weaknesses" that were much more effective at taking them out quickly (Aquamentus's was found in the dungeon he's first encountered in, and Lanmola's was found in the previous dungeon). The only real freeform boss was Gleeok, and the only freeform miniboss was Patras; all of the others had some sort of item weakness.
Huh, that's worse than I remembered. "Secondary" weaknesses aren't a problem like immunities are, though. A big part of the appeal of these games is gathering and using your toolbox of varied and versatile items. Being forced to use the one tool the game wants you to use works against that.
Sumez wrote:Did you try Oracle of Seasons? I think that game finds a bit of the old tooth. It's not super hard or anything, but it feels like more of an action game than any other game in the series past Zelda 2.
But if you're doing both Oracle games in sequence, start out with Seasons, otherwise it's going to be too easy. Ages is already easy.
Yeah, but only once, in a three heart run. The main thing I remember from the Oracle games was that there were way too many tedious, mandatory minigames. I think most of those were in Ages though?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yes. That is all Ages.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

My problem with the Zelda series is that their combat is not fast paced, not challenging, and not particularly deep (*). The other half of the equation is the puzzles and exploration, but having solved them all and memorized the world in childhood, I see no real compelling reason reason to return to them.

(*): Only exception is the first two games which are quite a bit more "hardcore" in some ways (though I can't enjoy the lack of diagonal movement in Zelda 1).

I do love the series magical aesthetic and sense of whimsy (and I have a particularly large softspot for the theme and atmosphere of Majora's Mask, a game I could see revisiting regularly for the "story" alone), but it's not enough to get me to devote the hours necessary to replay them or dive into the new ones. I'd rather just play Ys Oath/Origin again instead if I want top down hack and slash combat, or a dedicated puzzle game if I want my brain fried.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Squire Grooktook wrote:My problem with the Zelda series is that their combat is not fast paced, not challenging, and not particularly deep (*). The other half of the equation is the puzzles and exploration, but having solved them all and memorized the world in childhood, I see no real compelling reason reason to return to them.

(*): Only exception is the first two games which are quite a bit more "hardcore" in some ways (though I can't enjoy the lack of diagonal movement in Zelda 1).

I do love the series magical aesthetic and sense of whimsy (and I have a particularly large softspot for the theme and atmosphere of Majora's Mask, a game I could see revisiting regularly for the "story" alone), but it's not enough to get me to devote the hours necessary to replay them or dive into the new ones. I'd rather just play Ys Oath/Origin again instead if I want top down hack and slash combat, or a dedicated puzzle game if I want my brain fried.
I can't see the appeal of ever finishing an RPG twice; or really any game for that matter. There are so many new worlds to conquer.

Usually, if I nail a 1CC in something, I'll try to repeat it a few more times for improvement or scoring, but once I'm done I go to the next thing and rarely return. For RPGs, well, they're like novels really, and I rarely read a novel twice either. Most are made easy and it's less about challenge and more about experience. The Zelda games tend to rise above others because the dungeons are so beautifully conceived and the process of progression is really finely tuned and consistently rewarding. But I played Ocarina a second time for reasons unknown. I think it had been so long I'd forgotten most of it and my 3DS was a new toy. No regrets, but it's the only RPG I've ever been through more than once.

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Skykid wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:My problem with the Zelda series is that their combat is not fast paced, not challenging, and not particularly deep (*). The other half of the equation is the puzzles and exploration, but having solved them all and memorized the world in childhood, I see no real compelling reason reason to return to them.

I can't see the appeal of ever finishing an RPG twice; or really any game for that matter...and I rarely read a novel twice either.
Personal difference then, I suppose. My relationship with works I cherish (be they games, movies, literature, etc.) are more indefinite. Not necessarily, to be manically replayed 10 hours a day 24/7 for 4 years like some insane superplayer, but definitely to be revisited once the memories and emotions associated with them begin to dim or call once more.

There definitely needs to be some "there", there, though.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Been spending some time revisit Ninja Gaiden and try to getting S Rank on Contra: Shattered Soldier.

Was beat NG yesterday on my modded PS2 which can play NES games on it, it took me like 4-5 tries repeating Act 6 all over again and beat the finall boss consistently. Jaquio isn't that hard once you know timing to attack him, but Demon gave me trouble since their attack deals 3 damage and random too. I might ready to 1CC this one, just need improvement on last two stages.

I almost getting S Rank to SS but Relic's little "sperm" thingy on final form sneakingly hit me concurrently with Relic got destroyed (it counts as death and got A rank). TLB's fireball are random also you didnt know which direction he will attack so it's like 50:50 chance.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://forums.gamengai.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2954
Re-discovered this little gem of a topic. :P
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
ryu

Post by ryu »

Looking for the name of a famicom game that's been mentioned on these boards a few times. What I'm remembering is something of a Mega Man clone with awesome music and cutesy graphics. But I may be completely wrong because I can't find the game in any list of recommended famicom games or lists of hidden gems.

Either I'm remembering completely wrong or this game is a shmup farm secret lol
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

ryu wrote:Looking for the name of a famicom game that's been mentioned on these boards a few times. What I'm remembering is something of a Mega Man clone with awesome music and cutesy graphics. But I may be completely wrong because I can't find the game in any list of recommended famicom games or lists of hidden gems.

Either I'm remembering completely wrong or this game is a shmup farm secret lol
The Krion Conquest/Magical Kids Doropie? Cocoron?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Whomp 'em/Saiyuki World 2? Matendoji/Conquest of the Crystal Palace?
ryu

Post by ryu »

It's not one of those. Pretty sure the game came out in japan only
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There's Power Blazer that was altered into Power Blade for the US, but the JP version is very different and more cutesy looking. It has the same awesome music as Power Blade.
ryu

Post by ryu »

not it either. pretty sure the game's name is distinctly japanese
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Hmm, I do take some pride in my ability to recognize Famicom games. Do you have any other hints regarding the gameplay? What made the game a Mega Man clone? Can you change weapons, acquire them from bosses, select the stages in the order you want to tackle them, things like that?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ryu

Post by ryu »

Let's see..

I think calling it a Mega Man clone might be a bit strong. That's just how I remember it... either the visuals reminded me of Mega Man for some reason or the person who introduced the game here said it was similar. I didn't see much gameplay and that was years ago so it's hard to say.

Pretty sure the player character was not human.

It might be a homebrew game.

I know it's weird and unspecific, but the best description I have "nobody ever talks about it but someone mentioned it on here once (possibly the post awesome stuff thread) and people gave positive feedback and wanted to play it"