MAGFest 2019: January 3-6

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
StarCreator

MAGFest 2019: January 3-6

Post by StarCreator »

Getting real close now, figured it was time for a rollcall and to see if we were still doing our now-traditional PCB collection in majors' corner of the game room.

My collection is once again unchanged from last year and I plan to have the two HD cabs there again running console and maybe PC shmups.
Last edited by StarCreator on Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiken

Re: MAGFest 2019

Post by Kiken »

Was waiting for this to get posted.

I still have:
ESPGaluda 2
Pink Sweets
Mushi Futari 1.5
Along with a bunch of MVS carts (Metal Slug X, Prehistoric Isle 2, Zed Blade, Strikers 1945+, etc.)

But I recently added:
In The Hunt (aka Kaitei Daisensou)
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I will most likely not be joining you guys this year. I didn't get a room at the Gaylord so my motivation to go is pretty nil. Have a good time!
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I'll be at Magfest! Semi-new to the area (moved here two 1/2 years ago). Definitely interested in trying out some arcade shooters and meeting some folks from the local scene.

I'm bringing some gear for the Magfest museum, so if you want to see some old timer games for the Spectrum or c64 or etc I will be sure to have it at the ready.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
majors

Post by majors »

We should have four tate cabs for shmups. I picked up a F3 Multi, so you know I'll run the virts on that. Last year we didn't really follow the spread sheet, so we'll play it by ear this year. Find me like normal, we can hook up any PCB in an available cab, or at least store it inside and I can hook it up later.
ubersaurus wrote: I'm bringing some gear for the Magfest museum, so if you want to see some old timer games for the Spectrum or c64 or etc I will be sure to have it at the ready.
Talking Museum, we are adding a Saturn to the Wedoca lineup and run some of the shmups. Strider77 is going to be semi overseeing it, but you know he'll prolly see something shiny and wander off. I have the SD card thingy, so changing games only requires a power cycle(or some soft reboot, but I haven't gotten that to work yet). We also added a MSX2 with flash cart and prolly run some shmups, but it is a little harder to change ROMs compared to an everdrive.
Wedoca '24
zakk

Post by zakk »

I'll be there!

I'm no longer in the DC area, so I won't be hauling a bunch of PCBs on the trip. I can bring one or two if anyone has a request.

I haven't bought anything new, so same old list as always.

Armed Police Batrider
Battle Garegga
Brave Blade
Cyvern
Dangun Feveron
DDP2 (cart only, motherboard isn't working)
Doggyun
Espgaluda 2
Esprade
Gigawing
Gunbird 2
Ibara Kuro
Ketsui
Pink Sweets
Progear
Raiden II DX
Star Trigon
Tatsujin
Vasara
Vasara 2
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Offhand, I'd say bring any of the following: Gunbird 2, Doggyun and/or Progear.
majors

Post by majors »

Kiken wrote:Offhand, I'd say bring any of the following: Gunbird 2, Doggyun and/or Progear.
I'll have a CPS2 multi, so we can run Progear no Arashi.

zakk -> Batrider seemed popular last year, is it still the heat now? The SH2 boards are small, and should be easy to travel with, so I'd suggest Ibara BL.

I have the PGM converts for DOJ and Espgaluda, but I should be able to grab the Ketsui cart from a local.

To remind folks, the F3 has: Gekirindan, Grid Seeker, Gunlock and Twin Cobra 2 for virts.

Strider77 should have bug bitch 1 and 2, he usually brings a box of PCBs.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

majors wrote:I'll have a CPS2 multi, so we can run Progear no Arashi.
Since people are picky about it, just a reminder to have the Japanese, not-hacked version of the game available. The English version has some unfavorable changes and last year it was some hack that started on the second loop that no one was happy with.

I'll probably bring Esprade. Not sure if my F3 needs to come along, and Elevator Action Returns is still the only game of significance I own for it. Everything else I own is well covered by others.

On my two HD cabs I'm planning to run 360, PS4, and maybe PC shmups if I can find time to finish and test a PC build for it before the show. I might give the new M2 Ketsui port some time whenever the actual board isn't in place, unless people really want them side by side.

If anyone has suggestions for the PC side let me know.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Maybe ZeroRanger for the PC. Possibly Blue Revolver and Infinos Gaiden too.

If you want some throwback PC stuff you could grab Warning Forever or Kamui maybe. Probably more of a pain to setup than newer releases, though.
majors

Post by majors »

StarCreator wrote:
majors wrote:I'll have a CPS2 multi, so we can run Progear no Arashi.
Since people are picky about it, just a reminder to have the Japanese, not-hacked version of the game available.
Yeah, that was my bad last year. Apparently Smokemoster and friends were not aware of the US JP differences in the game when they made their roll up packs. I've added the proper JP Progear to my multi's. It's also why I used the full "no Arashi" when I named the game in the post :wink: .

I do have a extra 1p CP I could install on a cab if you'all feel that would help with filthy casuals jumping in while you're trying for a run.

We will have a hori cab available if diecats wants to run Parodius. I'll try to bring Sexy but right now I was gonna run anime boobie games like Gals Panic S or Dancing Eyes.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

majors wrote:We will have a hori cab available if diecats wants to run Parodius. I'll try to bring Sexy but right now I was gonna run anime boobie games like Gals Panic S or Dancing Eyes.
I have to check with him but I believe he isn't making it this year.
Strider77

Re: MAGFest 2019: January 3-6

Post by Strider77 »

Who's bringing weed?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I think we tabled the idea last year because others were bringing it, but should I be looking to bring my Type X with Tetris the Grandmaster 3 among other things this year? The cab it would be mated to would have to have some way of talking JVS including audio. I have a JVS to JAMMA adapter but there's no audio handling in it.
majors

Post by majors »

StarCreator wrote:should I be looking to bring my Type X with Tetris the Grandmaster 3
Someone brought an X2 to run GM3 to Raj and we got it running in a Naomi Uni cab. I should have a box of random AV cables (for the museum) in case we need some splitters or gender changers.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

It looks like Dave Z has TGM3 set up already so I'm probably going to pass on bringing mine out this year.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

For Tetris... definitely not worth all the hoop jumping.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

After spending several fruitless nights on it I have to conclude the PC build I was attempting has some sort of hardware issue that is preventing it from working at anywhere near the reliability needed. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can source a replacement motherboard for this project locally, so I'm forced to give up on it this year. If anyone has a small form factor PC they want to donate to the effort I can work that in but as of right now I'm falling back to PS4 and 360 only.
zakk

Post by zakk »

I'll bring Ibara BL and Garegga.

Yet another year I procrastinate selling Ibara BL. 8)
JBroms

Post by JBroms »

Boy am I late to the party this year.

My plans came together at the last minute, but I can provide a copy of TGM2+. I can also bring TGM 1 or 3 (but it looks like TGM3 might already be taken care of)

Aside from that, anyone want to play Mission Craft, the bootleg Starcraft Shmup for shits and giggles?
zakk

Post by zakk »

Random upgrade to atrium room crew checking in, don't @me
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Once again, it was loads of fun getting to hang out and chat with some of you as well as playing some games. Next year we'll definitely spend more to make sure we get a room in the area.
zakk

Post by zakk »

We need to have shmups forum name tags or something. We're terrible about arranging actual shmupmeets at magfest, probably too hard given the way schedules at magfest go (like me who keeps an optimal 5am arcade playing schedule).

At least I took my rightful place on the top of the Ketsui scoreboard early Sunday morning before I left ;)
komidore64

Post by komidore64 »

Thanks to all who brought cabs and PCBs! I had a blast at my first MAGFest and want to come back next year.

Also: I have a couple PCBs I could contribute for next year

- DoDonPachi (JP)
- Espgaluda

Thanks again!
IncendiaryLemon

Post by IncendiaryLemon »

A late thank you to everyone involved, 3am MAGFest arcade time is one of my favorite times to try out new games and stuff I'll never see anywhere else.