Aleste is coming back?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: Aleste is coming back?!

Post by xxx1993 »

I like it more than Radiant Silvergun. Though, what's the difference between the original and the Otokuyo versions?
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

xxx1993 wrote:I like it more than Radiant Silvergun. Though, what's the difference between the original and the Otokuyo versions?

I just can't get into RS at all, (there's too many weapons/buttons to figure out ) granted I do need to put more time into though.

The Otokuyo version has the white cover (cheaper re-print). **I believe this version has a demo of Battle Garegga & also fixes the bugs that the original would display if you played the game on an US Saturn with an Action Replay**

** I can't confirm if this is true as I don't actually own the Otokuyo version and I own a JP saturn myself ** Am sure someone on here would confirm that
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

That's a series you wouldn't have expected to come back again, but there we are!
Hope this new Aleste game takes a page from everything Zanac Neo did to improve the Compile formula and make it interesting to play.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And again, I want this Aleste to be more sci-fi themed and not steampunk like Power Strike II and Robo Aleste, but make Ellinor the protagonist again.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Well, the two images make it look to be sci-fi, thematically.
I hope M2 don't emulate Compile's design decisions too accurately, as some of the Aleste games had moments that kind of dragged on a bit.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

No_not_like_Quake wrote:Well, the two images make it look to be sci-fi, thematically.
I hope M2 don't emulate Compile's design decisions too accurately, as some of the Aleste games had moments that kind of dragged on a bit.
Thankfully I'm not too worried about that, M2 seems like a bunch of guys that know what they're doing when it comes to this genre.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And what about Ellinor Waizen? Do you want her to return in this game?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

You're gonna have to accept one day that literally nobody cares about lore as much as you do, my guy.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Austin

Post by Austin »

trap15 wrote:You're gonna have to accept one day that literally nobody cares about lore as much as you do, my guy.
True story.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

No_not_like_Quake wrote:Well, the two images make it look to be sci-fi, thematically.
That's why I'm cautiously excited. This has the potential to be the best Aleste game ever by virtue of ignoring Compile's worst tendencies.
garrz32 wrote: The Otokuyo version has the white cover (cheaper re-print). **I believe this version has a demo of Battle Garegga & also fixes the bugs that the original would display if you played the game on an US Saturn with an Action Replay**

** I can't confirm if this is true as I don't actually own the Otokuyo version and I own a JP saturn myself ** Am sure someone on here would confirm that
True. This makes the stage practice option actually usable (it is totally fucked in the normal release on a US Saturn). It also lets you skip the blast-off introduction, which if you skip on the US Saturn the screen gets filled with artifacts. I think it's about 24 seconds, if I recall correctly!

The only downside is that you lose out on that awesome Engrish, with giant text declaring "OBJECTIVE: CONDUCT SURPRISE ATTACK ON UNITS MAKING SURPRISE ATTACK ON ALLIED FORCES" and the fuckin' AWESOME boss/place names like PERILDAWN, G-OMEN, B-LIZARD, and VICTIMIZER. That and realizing the game is about corporate warfare and not aliens like every drooling braindead internet reviewer that talks about Soukyugurentai.

You guys do know there's a Souky score thread, right? Always need to remind people!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Souky thread, yeah! Whoo! Still don't really understand how to play the game...
trap15 wrote:You're gonna have to accept one day that literally nobody cares about lore as much as you do, my guy.
Well, hold on a minute, nothing wrong with a little continuity keeping. There are all sorts of games I'd like real translations for, such as Aleste 2 and the Spriggans. But there's a line you cross where you care in the wrong way, and for some reason this forum gets quite a few people like that.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

EmperorIng wrote:

The only downside is that you lose out on that awesome Engrish, with giant text declaring "OBJECTIVE: CONDUCT SURPRISE ATTACK ON UNITS MAKING SURPRISE ATTACK ON ALLIED FORCES" and the fuckin' AWESOME boss/place names like PERILDAWN, G-OMEN, B-LIZARD, and VICTIMIZER. That and realizing the game is about corporate warfare and not aliens like every drooling braindead internet reviewer that talks about Soukyugurentai.
:lol: :lol:
reversi

Post by reversi »

Oh! Me too, sure hope they bring back Ellinor back as the main protagonist in a more sci-fi oriented scenario. Also Dia 51´s plant mayhem in slightly advanced graphics would look amazing. Aleste 1 & 2 (the msx game) are still my favourites in the series (along with zanac) so I hope the reboot gives them the neo zanac treatment. I think they did a lot of things right with this game. The visuals should look like 32 bit games of the late 90ies for me. Souky-Style would be fine of course. I would consider buying a swith for this. So far I bought quite a few consoles for compile games especially (msx2, turboduo, gamegear...).
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Finally tried Zanac x Zanac, and salivating at the prospect of a new compile game. M2 has veterans from way back on their team too, so can anyone name a "meh" title they have worked on? Also soyuky is a blast and has a flavor of compile in there too.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm currently wondering if it'll be for the Switch or PS4...
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Some might say their ReBirth games on the Wii were meh, but that's a long time ago now and a somewhat different type of project.

Even back then they had a stellar reputation for retro work and I can't think of anything that wasn't a sterling effort in the decade since :shock:
louisg

Post by louisg »

bigbadboaz wrote:Some might say their ReBirth games on the Wii were meh, but that's a long time ago now and a somewhat different type of project.

Even back then they had a stellar reputation for retro work and I can't think of anything that wasn't a sterling effort in the decade since :shock:
I liked their Contra ReBirth a lot. My only gripe is that it got a little Metal Slug by the middle of the game-- Contra definitely has its own identity and it's different. But wonderful work on the stage designs, FM-laden music tracks, and the art was retro in a tasteful way. Hmm, never did beat that final boss though! If the new Aleste is at least as good as that, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Humans, think about what you have done
the androgyne

Post by the androgyne »

I wonder if this is the project Hiroshi Iuchi is working on after Ubusana was put on hold? Would have thought they mention it if it was though.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I always wondered what Ubusana would have looked like.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Was never officially cancelled, was it?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I... haven't heard from it in a while.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Ubusana was just announced this year, wasn't it? And they literally said right off the bat it's going to be years before it's finished iirc, I don't understand what you guys are worried about.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Ubusana was announced in 2014 and not even a screenshot has surfaced since then. Might as well forget it exists until something actually concrete happens, IMO.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

CloudyMusic wrote:Ubusana was announced in 2014 and not even a screenshot has surfaced since then. Might as well forget it exists until something actually concrete happens, IMO.
Oh...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Let's just focus on what the new Aleste title will bring us.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

If wanting Ellie back is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
louisg

Post by louisg »

cj iwakura wrote:
Ellinor is the heroine from the first few Alestes, right? Isn't she in GG Aleste too? If so, I'm on Team Ellinor \o/ she's frickin' cool
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

louisg wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:
Ellinor is the heroine from the first few Alestes, right? Isn't she in GG Aleste too? If so, I'm on Team Ellinor \o/ she's frickin' cool
Not the first Aleste (If I remember correctly, her dad is the hero of that one), but she is in GG Aleste, Aleste 2 MSX2, and Musha Aleste.
louisg

Post by louisg »

BrianC wrote:
louisg wrote: Ellinor is the heroine from the first few Alestes, right? Isn't she in GG Aleste too? If so, I'm on Team Ellinor \o/ she's frickin' cool
Not the first Aleste (If I remember correctly, her dad is the hero of that one), but she is in GG Aleste, Aleste 2 MSX2, and Musha Aleste.
Yeah, she should totally be the main character. Bonus points for the punkish 80s style cuz she totally looks like she could be in a new wave band:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleste_2# ... -title.png
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I agree. Give us back her 80s look too, her Aleste 2 incarnation is my personal favorite.