loving Raiden Fighters

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
shmupsrocks

loving Raiden Fighters

Post by shmupsrocks »

I'm really enjoying Raiden Fighters. Is there a clear favorite between that, 2, and Jet? Besides the original Raiden games, any others I should try?
mirkvid

Re: loving Raiden Fighters

Post by mirkvid »

If I remember correctly, Viper Phase 1 is another stg that was developed by the same team or company. Look into that one too.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Yep and that one is hard to find. I think it was actually developed before the first Raiden Fighters.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I like the original Raiden Fighters the best, but Jet is also really good. I like that RF1 and VP1 aren't overloaded with features plane-selection-wise vs. the other two. 2 is the one I get the most nostalgic for (being the first one I played), but the colors on the train stage blind me a bit so I get hit with shots I didn't see coming.

I second Viper Phase 1. There's nothing quite like these mid-90s Seibu games: they're not manic, but they have a lot more fluidity than something like the earlier Raiden 2. There's a certain feel that defines them that's hard to pin down. I'm trying to think of other games that could scratch that itch besides just listing off a bunch of old (simpler) Toaplan stuff, but am failing. The Strikers 1945 series is there in spirit, but it feels so Psikyo in terms of movement and shot patterns and level pacing. I could recommend Shienryu, which is OK, but it feels more like Raiden 2 than Raiden Fighters and then turns into Truxton halfway through. These Seibu games are sort of the last of the top view non-manics, juiced up just enough. It's like you took Raiden 2 but really harnessed a 32-bit CPU for more sprites and more complex movement.
Humans, think about what you have done
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

My thoughts exactly! I have Shienryu but I agree it's more like the Raidens although I'm going to try it again this morning. What would you throw out there from Toaplan?

I love the battleship stage and the high altitude stage in RF1.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

G-Stream G2020 is very similar to the RF series. I believe the same graphic designer worked on it but the lead programmer is different.

If curious I'd recommend playing the Steam port, which was re-named Deltazeal: https://store.steampowered.com/app/379520/DELTAZEAL/

The PCB is kinda fragile and poorly-designed (overheats easily, board is prone to warping & has a big capacitor that leaks) plus it's quite expensive. I really like this game, but the original hardware is troublesome.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Speaking of G-Stream G2020 (and Triangle Service), I really enjoyed XII Stag the last time I played it. Will try again and compare to RF.
FRO

Post by FRO »

louisg wrote:I like the original Raiden Fighters the best, but Jet is also really good. I like that RF1 and VP1 aren't overloaded with features plane-selection-wise vs. the other two. 2 is the one I get the most nostalgic for (being the first one I played), but the colors on the train stage blind me a bit so I get hit with shots I didn't see coming.

I second Viper Phase 1. There's nothing quite like these mid-90s Seibu games: they're not manic, but they have a lot more fluidity than something like the earlier Raiden 2. There's a certain feel that defines them that's hard to pin down. I'm trying to think of other games that could scratch that itch besides just listing off a bunch of old (simpler) Toaplan stuff, but am failing. The Strikers 1945 series is there in spirit, but it feels so Psikyo in terms of movement and shot patterns and level pacing. I could recommend Shienryu, which is OK, but it feels more like Raiden 2 than Raiden Fighters and then turns into Truxton halfway through. These Seibu games are sort of the last of the top view non-manics, juiced up just enough. It's like you took Raiden 2 but really harnessed a 32-bit CPU for more sprites and more complex movement.
I will third Viper Phase 1! One of my favorite lesser known old school shmups, and one that, because it's never received a console port, if I ever have enough room at my place to bring in a couple dedicated cabinets, that will be one of the PCBs I buy.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

shmupsrocks wrote:Is there a clear favorite between that, 2, and Jet?
Raiden Fighters Jet was the game that got me hooked on the genre, and was my first ever 1CC. I highly recommend it, and personally feel that it is miles ahead of the others.
louisg

Post by louisg »

shmupsrocks wrote:My thoughts exactly! I have Shienryu but I agree it's more like the Raidens although I'm going to try it again this morning. What would you throw out there from Toaplan?

I love the battleship stage and the high altitude stage in RF1.
Those stages are great.

Toaplan.. I've gotta go for Twin Cobra, Fire Shark and Batsugun for scratching a kiiiiiiind of similar itch. Though, the arcade Fire Shark is too much of a kick in the nads. I think Trap made one that balances it a little differently. Personally, I like the Genesis port set on Hard a lot.

What about the NMK games like Big Bang? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ_mLjRMLIA
Or, Dimahoo has a little bit of an RF feel to it IMO. Though it gets a bit nuts in the later levels (manic patterns fired at you at terminal velocity). I feel like I'm just starting to list all the non-manic top view shmups though lol
Humans, think about what you have done
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Necronopticous wrote: Raiden Fighters Jet was the game that got me hooked on the genre, and was my first ever 1CC. I highly recommend it, and personally feel that it is miles ahead of the others.
+1, Jet is my favourite out of the series.
colour_thief

Post by colour_thief »

Necronopticous wrote:
shmupsrocks wrote:Is there a clear favorite between that, 2, and Jet?
Raiden Fighters Jet was the game that got me hooked on the genre, and was my first ever 1CC. I highly recommend it, and personally feel that it is miles ahead of the others.
+1 for Jet. Crazy to think they closed shop after that game.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

I still kick myself for not picking up the 360 jp disc of raiden fighters aces, the prices are insane now, fack..
FRO

Post by FRO »

2dvertical wrote:I still kick myself for not picking up the 360 jp disc of raiden fighters aces, the prices are insane now, fack..
It can still be had for a decent price, if you do a little digging. GameStop is still retailing it for around $40 or less, I believe, when they have a copy. I'd check to see if your local location can get it in house.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

FRO wrote:
2dvertical wrote:I still kick myself for not picking up the 360 jp disc of raiden fighters aces, the prices are insane now, fack..
It can still be had for a decent price, if you do a little digging. GameStop is still retailing it for around $40 or less, I believe, when they have a copy. I'd check to see if your local location can get it in house.
JPN version is crazy expensive tho. I scoured Tokyo game shops for years only to find it in the wild once. I think it was going for about 8,000 JPY, easily making it one of the most expensive 360 games. This was back in 2012 or so. I'm sure prices have only risen since then.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

The Raiden Fighters games are among my favorites. I too am partial to the first game in that series.

As far as recommendations...

Have you tried Triangle Service's DeltaZeal? It's pretty good and I think has a similar feel to Raiden Fighters.
And to maybe a lesser extent, Triangle Service's earlier game XIIZeal(or XIIStag/Twelve Stag) is pretty interesting with it's "wiggle" side-attacks.

Someone already mentioned Shienryu/Gekioh; Shooting King(It feels a bit more "chunky" like a old-school Toaplan shooter, with a Raiden makeover)
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

FRO wrote:
I don’t have stores around me that carry non usa format games, as far as 360, ps2 ect.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

It still pisses me off incredibly that, outside of buying a console for them specifically, I have no easy way to play these games.
I had even pre-ordered the UK release when it appeared on Amazon.
Fuck everyone involved!
(Perhaps a bit strong.)
No, actually, fuck them all.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

A custom groovymame or retroarch build with support for the raidenmame samples would be a nice alternative.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

scrilla4rella wrote:
FRO wrote:
JPN version is crazy expensive tho. I scoured Tokyo game shops for years only to find it in the wild once. I think it was going for about 8,000 JPY, easily making it one of the most expensive 360 games. This was back in 2012 or so. I'm sure prices have only risen since then.
TBF everything is expensive, you want to be in this game you need long arms with deep pockets :cry:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Been playing RF2 again recently since I fixed my SPI motherboard. 10/10 series, 11/10 game. Personally I think Jet is a bit too jam-packed with stuff, I appreciate the more simple nature of 2 a lot more. The first one is also insanely good, but I haven't put enough time into it yet.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Xyga wrote:A custom groovymame or retroarch build with support for the raidenmame samples would be a nice alternative.
I'm not really in a position (nor can I be arsed, frankly) to get it working through any of that (lappy I have is too old).

I'd happily throw 50 quid at a PS4 collection though.

Basically, my time is worth way more to me than my money now.
Super Butterfly

Post by Super Butterfly »

I also enjoyed Raiden Fighters.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Is the JPN release different than the other versions? I have the US release.
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

lilmanjs wrote:
I can't speak to the Japanese version.

However, this thread has made me think about my physical copy of the Xbox 360 North American version for the first time in awhile... My previously suppressed collectors anxiety is kicking-in to remind me of something...

Am I recalling correctly that there was a soundtrack disc included in some initial runs of the North American version of Raiden Fighters Aces? If so, I may need to hunt that down and sell my "less than ideal" version. Or, am I confusing it with Raiden IV? I remember buying one of these games second-hand, years ago, and being slightly disappointed that it wasn't included. If it's Raiden IV then I don't really care so much as that game didn't really do much for me.

I remember the music in Raiden IV being pretty "butt-rockish" and forgettable.
But that Ocean stage music from Fighters when you're fighting that aircraft carrier boss is so janky, thumping, and memorable!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Raiden Fighters Aces is probably the shmup package on 360 that I've put the most time into over the years. The games aren't overly complex, but they are pleasing to look at and have a buttery-smooth feel to them. Enemies don't take long to take out (no matter the size) and the various ships add for nice replay options. I'd probably say 2 was my favorite of the trilogy, but I've put a lot of time into all of them, each one is solid.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Craft_XIII wrote:
lilmanjs wrote:
I can't speak to the Japanese version.

However, this thread has made me think about my physical copy of the Xbox 360 North American version for the first time in awhile... My previously suppressed collectors anxiety is kicking-in to remind me of something...

Am I recalling correctly that there was a soundtrack disc included in some initial runs of the North American version of Raiden Fighters Aces? If so, I may need to hunt that down and sell my "less than ideal" version. Or, am I confusing it with Raiden IV? I remember buying one of these games second-hand, years ago, and being slightly disappointed that it wasn't included. If it's Raiden IV then I don't really care so much as that game didn't really do much for me.

I remember the music in Raiden IV being pretty "butt-rockish" and forgettable.
But that Ocean stage music from Fighters when you're fighting that aircraft carrier boss is so janky, thumping, and memorable!
I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't remember reading anything about any version of Raiden Fighters Aces coming with a soundtrack. Raiden IV did, via a GameStop exclusive print, which is the version I have. I actually quite like the Raiden IV OST, and spun that in my car a lot over the last couple years. I wouldn't call it "butt rock" per se, more a combination of rock and synth music, like the 1st 2 Raiden games, but before the FM synthesis in the boards could properly produce a good guitar sound.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

The JPN ver. comes with a soundtrack. I don't ever remember hearing that there were significant regional differences for the compilation but I'm not 100%
Craft_XIII

Post by Craft_XIII »

FRO wrote: I'm no expert on the subject, but I don't remember reading anything about any version of Raiden Fighters Aces coming with a soundtrack. Raiden IV did, via a GameStop exclusive print, which is the version I have. I actually quite like the Raiden IV OST, and spun that in my car a lot over the last couple years. I wouldn't call it "butt rock" per se, more a combination of rock and synth music, like the 1st 2 Raiden games, but before the FM synthesis in the boards could properly produce a good guitar sound.
OK, cool. This relieves a bit of anxiety. Must have been "IV" that I was remembering missing a soundtrack.

And I just re-listened to the "IV" soundtrack on youtube and you're right, not as "butt-rockish" as I remember. In fact, it's actually OK.
However, there are many points in the compositions where they chose to take the music in an "airy" direction. I feel like most of these points would benefit from a more "hard-hitting" grittier sound, more befitting to war/chucking bombs and missiles.

That's why I think this track from "Fighters" is so memorable for me: https://youtu.be/OkDCyHaUEms
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

The music change in level-3 and 6 is pretty good in RF-1 (this one I played to fairly significant extent many years ago). It isn't quite ketsui level, but still quite good.

One thing though, that I would like to mention is that it might have been better not to give safe spots and/or easy evasion (both in stages and in a number of boss patterns). Just as one example, in stage-3, I think it might have been better (I think) if you couldn't basically hover above the turrets (essentially point-blanking them).

In any case, pretty good games.