Questions for Dreamcast owners

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dochartaigh

Re: Questions for Dreamcast owners

Post by Dochartaigh »

Fudoh wrote:For discjuggler files on ImbBurn you still need a plugin, don't you ? Or you simply use discjuggler instead.
I don't know about discjuggler, but I did need to add a plugin for Imgburn to burn Dreamcast CDI games. After that it burned a good 30ish discs with no problems and all played (when the laser was working on my 2x Dreamcasts lol) just fine.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:Am I correct in assuming that, with a CDI file, I can just burn it with Imgburn or do I need to do some additional patching like you do for PS2 games?
No patching necessary; selfboot CD rips like that already include everything necessary to abuse MIL-CD to get the game running. Just know that using these burned-CD versions will bring your GD-ROM to an early grave. :)
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Fudoh wrote:For discjuggler files on ImbBurn you still need a plugin, don't you ? Or you simply use discjuggler instead.
I don't know about discjuggler, but I did need to add a plugin for Imgburn to burn Dreamcast CDI games. After that it burned a good 30ish discs with no problems and all played (when the laser was working on my 2x Dreamcasts lol) just fine.
Please can you tell me what plugins I need to find and how do I use them?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

at the very bottom. The PADUS/cdi plugin.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Fudoh wrote:http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

at the very bottom. The PADUS/cdi plugin.
Thank you
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

In case anyone else is interested in Dreamcast light gun games, or light gun games on any other system:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gun_games

There aren't too many on the DC although they were apparently going to release Time Crisis 2 but changed their mind half way through development.... Did Sega ever make the right decision....

Interestingly, the largest quality selections seem to be on the PS1 and Saturn. They have even more than the PS2. Even the 3do had some interesting ones.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

nmalinoski wrote:If you get a GDEMU, it'll boot games from any region, and GDMenu can force most of them into 480p RGB. The handful of PAL games I threw at it (Rez, ChuChu Rocket!, Planet Ring, Stunt GP, Toy Racer) booted into 480p@60Hz without issue, although Planet Ring looked like it was still showing PAL-sized graphics which were getting cut off at the bottom (Was the only game that even seemed to remotely have an issue).
Thanks. Are power voltages same for all regions of Dreamcast? T be honest, my decision on which Dreamcast to pick may come down to the console color and opening BIOS animation. :P
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:If you get a GDEMU, it'll boot games from any region, and GDMenu can force most of them into 480p RGB. The handful of PAL games I threw at it (Rez, ChuChu Rocket!, Planet Ring, Stunt GP, Toy Racer) booted into 480p@60Hz without issue, although Planet Ring looked like it was still showing PAL-sized graphics which were getting cut off at the bottom (Was the only game that even seemed to remotely have an issue).
Thanks. Are power voltages same for all regions of Dreamcast? T be honest, my decision on which Dreamcast to pick may come down to the console color and opening BIOS animation. :P
Internal voltages should all be the same, yes; just make sure you either bridge the 12V rail to ground with a 1W resistor or remove the appropriate voltage regulator, otherwise your PSU will overvolt and spew excess heat.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Does anyone still burn CDI files with Discjuggler? Because is it just me or is Discjuggler overly complicated compared to ImgBurn?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Lawfer wrote:Does anyone still burn CDI files with Discjuggler? Because is it just me or is Discjuggler overly complicated compared to ImgBurn?
I use imgburn for everything, it's fantastic
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I use imgburn for PS2 games and I will use it for DC games when it arrives. I like because it's very simple, intuitive and free. As they say, the only thing better than perfect is free!

Finding file conversion software was a different story. You need it to convert some PS2 games from bin files to ISO. I ended up paying for WinISO to use it for larger games (it's free for files under 500mb). It cost $20 but it solved a bunch of file format issues.

I was delighted to find that the new site I am using for DC games packs a file converter program in with the zip file for title that aren't in CDI format. Nice
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Classicgamer wrote:I was delighted to find that the new site I am using for DC games packs a file converter program in with the zip file for title that aren't in CDI format. Nice
What format are they?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Classicgamer wrote:
Finding file conversion software was a different story. You need it to convert some PS2 games from bin files to ISO. I ended up paying for WinISO to use it for larger games (it's free for files under 500mb). It cost $20 but it solved a bunch of file format issues.

Why pay when there are free programs built just for the cause?

http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Lawfer wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:I was delighted to find that the new site I am using for DC games packs a file converter program in with the zip file for title that aren't in CDI format. Nice
What format are they?
They downloaded in .dat or .ecm format. When you unpack them, there was a conversion program so one click later I had a CDI.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Syntax wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:

Why pay when there are free programs built just for the cause?

http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548
I needed something more sophisticated than that. Converting from Bin to ISO is just one of the requirements. A large number of games converted from bin files won't patch properly without further changes. You get "missing UDF descriptor" error messages. Win ISO has additional options which fix it.

I am sure that there probably are other free programs that would do the job. I just wasn't minded to search for them after getting a virus from one the previous week.