Which ACA neogeo shmups are only available on JP psn

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
2dvertical

Which ACA neogeo shmups are only available on JP psn

Post by 2dvertical »

As the topic title states, any of these not on U.s. psn , if so are they just delayed or are the neogeo games typically released at the same time on both stores? I have a JP account for the M2 realeases etc. but I prefer to buy from U.s store (less hassle). On a side note, any other shmups Jp only worth looking into that won’t see a U.s release?
ATTRACTS

Re: Which ACA neogeo shmups are only available on JP psn

Post by ATTRACTS »

It takes literally 2 minutes to create a free Japanese account why not do that and compare.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I know Darius didn't release in the West.

There's a list of all games released and in what region on wiki. It should help you, though you'll have to find the shoot 'em ups yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Yeah I've used the wiki article to see what's available, as the PS4 store front is notoriously bad about not showing you everything available if you just search by price, "ACA", "Neogeo", etc. If it didn't release in the last few months, often the only way I can find a full list of everything that's available is to use another site to browse, and then searching PSN by that exact name.

I believe these are the ones I had to buy on Japanese PSN: Blazing Star, Ninja Commando, Prehistoric Isle 2, Strikers 1945 Plus.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

ATTRACTS wrote:It takes literally 2 minutes to create a free Japanese account why not do that and compare.
Well, if you read my op you can see that I have a jp acct..it is just easier to navigate the NA store..

Thank you for the suggestion in the last post. I will get Blazing Star. Does anyone have a problem with video previews on the game showing up on the jp store? Also, is there a way once logged in to your jp account to change the psn text to English? I never even noticed Blazing Star in the store, don’t know what the icon/cover art should look like..
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Note that once you have the game downloaded, the title will change from katakana to English as shown above. Only a few older Hamster releases don't do this.

There are no video previews on several of the newer Hamster releases.

To navigate Japanese PSN: If you have an android phone you can use Google Translate, and just point your phone at the screen to translate (or take a picture as it seems to do better that way). If you can't figure out how to search using katakana on Japanese PSN (searching with the English alphabet never works), sometimes you can pick a random ACA release (the 500-1000 yen filter will show recent ones), then push down until it gets to the suggestions area, and keep selecting other NeoGeo games until the one you want gets suggested.
the androgyne

Post by the androgyne »

Use google translate on the arcade archives site http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives ... neogeo.htm. Each game page has a link to PS store, much easier to buy from the website than on PS4.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

This is really strange that a bunch of these Neo Geo shmups aren't on the US PSN, because they're all on the Xbox One US store, so I don't know why there would be issues releasing them for US PSN.

Oddly enough, all the Xbox One versions also feature vastly more difficult and real achievements/trophies compared to the PSN versions. Not sure why there's such a disconnect on these between the versions.

There's a few other non-NeoGeo Arcade Archives shmups that are only on JP PSN, and those are:

Terra Force
Star Force
Thunder Cross
Darius
Flak Attack
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Star Force is also on the US Switch (I also have the JP PSN version). Not a shmup, but Atomic Robo Kid is another game that wasn't released in the US on PSN, but showed up on the US eShop on Switch.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:This is really strange that a bunch of these Neo Geo shmups aren't on the US PSN, because they're all on the Xbox One US store, so I don't know why there would be issues releasing them for US PSN.
Let's just say Hamster is probably fucking lazy to bring them over on the US/EU stores. Dunno why they can't release them there if either certification or other issues bringing them over, but the Asia PS Store(s) release them just fine. Ditto why both the Switch/Xbox stores have them release on time worldwide too.

Anyways, on topic, Twinkle Star Sprites is released this week.

I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

That's fantastic! I really want to replace the ADK Damashii version.
MachineAres 1CC

NeoStrayCat wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:Anyways, on topic, Twinkle Star Sprites is released this week.

Just noticed this one is also NOT on PS4. Wonder why HAMSTER keeps doing this. Can't really complain, since I prefer having these on Xbox, but it's puzzling.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

My guess is that the delayed Arcade Archives releases have something to do with Sony of America.
MachineAres 1CC

BrianC wrote:My guess is that the delayed Arcade Archives releases have something to do with Sony of America.
I'm not sure if I'd even simply call them "delays" since Blazing Star came out on Xbox in the US back in February of this year, but other ACANG releases have come out on US PS4 since then, there's just certain ones that seem like they might never be released here, if it's already been 8 months and it hasn't shown up on PS4 yet.

I know Sony is delaying/canceling and screwing up a bunch of releases recently because of their new censorship policy, but again, since Blazing Star has been out in the US since way before Sony's new policy took effect, it's hard to say what's causing all this, plus there's no reason for Blazing Star to be censored in the first place.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Actually, its none of those, not even Sony's double standards, however...I found out that the PS4 ACA NG release is delayed to 12/11, and I'm like...why? Its already out on X1 and Switch.

https://twitter.com/HAMSTER_Corp/status ... 8477241345
Marc

Post by Marc »

It's always puzzled me why this happens, I ended up having to open a JPN account on PS4 to pick up Wonderboy, Gradius, Atomic Robo-Kid, Rygar, Bombjack and Haunted Castle, and of those I think Haunted Castle is still the only one to arrive in the UK. Then there's stuff releasing on Switch MONTHS before it arrives on PS4... if it does. I'd have rather kept the entire ACA collection over one console, but since I got the Switch that's become pretty impossible.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MachineAres 1CC

Marc wrote:Then there's stuff releasing on Switch MONTHS before it arrives on PS4... if it does. I'd have rather kept the entire ACA collection over one console, but since I got the Switch that's become pretty impossible.
Yeah, they can't really keep it consistent at all in the West. None of the 3 platforms have all the games that the other ones have, it's just a crapshoot whether a certain game will show up on a certain console at this point, it's pretty dumb. Japanese PS4 definitely has the most releases overall, but there's a lot of outliers as well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There are also some early ps4 aa games lacking features compared to the switch versions. Rygar has no scanline options and renegade was purposely split instead of having us and jp versions available like on switch.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I know Sony is delaying/canceling and screwing up a bunch of releases recently because of their new censorship policy
What is this?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

BrianC wrote:There are also some early ps4 aa games lacking features compared to the switch versions. Rygar has no scanline options and renegade was purposely split instead of having us and jp versions available like on switch.
Some of the old ones also don't have a proper score attack mode (with default settings). I first noticed this on Double Dragon 1 where you can do infinite milking under non defaults, which completely breaks the leaderboard.
bigbadboaz wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:I know Sony is delaying/canceling and screwing up a bunch of releases recently because of their new censorship policy
What is this?
Perhaps this is best left to the off-topic area, or do some searching outside this forum. It will surely derail the entire topic if we start a discussion here.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Jeneki wrote:That's fantastic! I really want to replace the ADK Damashii version.
I have the ADK version as well, any reason to upgrade?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions!

I also picked up Aero Fighters 3 , I believe this is jp psn only (for now?).
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

2dvertical wrote:I have the ADK version as well, any reason to upgrade?
If you like Damashii than there's no reason to double dip.

Basically ADK Damashii is my PS4, emulating a PS2 game, emulating an arcade game. So ACA is cutting out a middle man in the emulation chain. Also I find the menus and screen/controller options are easier to work with and it has an online leaderboard.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BrianC wrote:There are also some early ps4 aa games lacking features compared to the switch versions. Rygar has no scanline options and renegade was purposely split instead of having us and jp versions available like on switch.
I checked over the weekend because it would normally stick in my mind if any of the ACA games I own were missing scanlines - Rygar definitely has them.

Pretty much the reason I picked up TTS again, the Damashii version looks like ass no matter what I do.
MachineAres 1CC

Marc wrote:Pretty much the reason I picked up TTS again, the Damashii version looks like ass no matter what I do.
This. Basically, like Jeneki said, the Damashii version is an emulation of an emulation and has some weird visual and input lag issues, so the ACA cuts all that out, for the most part
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote: I checked over the weekend because it would normally stick in my mind if any of the ACA games I own were missing scanlines - Rygar definitely has them.
PS4 or Switch? I have the US PS4 version and it doesn't even have the option for scanlines. The switch version has them, though. Maybe there was an update to the PS4 version that the US didn't get? I heard Sony had an inconsistent approval process between regions, even before their censorship.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ah sorry, missed that, I'm on the JPN one. The ACA series forced me into it because I didn't trust them to release everything over here.
I'm still puzzled as to how Haunted Castle, probably the most obscure release to anyone other than a big Castlevanie fan, got a release over here while certain other titles didn't. Half of the unreleased ones were converted to all the main home micro's of the time!

It's weird there series started out really great and I had a lot of high hopes for future releases, but it all seems to have gone very quiet. Same as the Game Room thing on X360, it's a huge shame that never gained traction.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread - does anyone know what the crack is for score saving on these games? Renegade for instance, I can only get on the table by looping at as it's saves my scores since forever. Others though don't seem to bother, or they seem to wipe infrequently - I had a full table for Metal Slug for instance, then after several months of not playing it, the thing had wiped last time I fired it up. Pretty frustrating, and not sure if I'm missing something - I presume it can't be the reset game option in the menu as I'm sure I've used that if I've messed up a stage on Renegade?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:This is really strange that a bunch of these Neo Geo shmups aren't on the US PSN, because they're all on the Xbox One US store, so I don't know why there would be issues releasing them for US PSN.

Oddly enough, all the Xbox One versions also feature vastly more difficult and real achievements/trophies compared to the PSN versions. Not sure why there's such a disconnect on these between the versions.

There's a few other non-NeoGeo Arcade Archives shmups that are only on JP PSN, and those are:

Terra Force
Star Force
Thunder Cross
Darius
Flak Attack
Flak Attack is on US PSN, just listed as MX5000.

Sony's censorship policy is really asinine. They need to backpedal on it. Sony Japan's president says it's "to meet global standards". To hell with global standards... just modify the game for each region. Still, some games' absence from US PSN makes no sense even with Sony's policy (like Blazing Star, Cyber-Lip, etc).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Like I said, it has nothing to do with Sony's double standards, I assume that, as said before, that Hamster is dropping the ball and are fucking lazy not putting most of their ACA NG library on time on the overseas (NA/EU/PAL) PS Stores, and gameoverdude, speaking of Blazing Star...

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... C000000001

Hamster's slowly, but surely getting their shit together releasing their titles over the overseas PS stores
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

NeoStrayCat wrote:Like I said, it has nothing to do with Sony's double standards, I assume that, as said before, that Hamster is dropping the ball and are fucking lazy not putting most of their ACA NG library on time on the overseas (NA/EU/PAL) PS Stores, and gameoverdude, speaking of Blazing Star...

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... C000000001

Hamster's slowly, but surely getting their shit together releasing their titles over the overseas PS stores
Yes! Finally. Thank you. 8) Well then, hopefully the others can't be too far behind. Zed Blade was another one that seemed to take like forever to get to US PS4.
Kinect? KIN NOT.