NEO GEO mini joystick hack

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
burgerkingdiamond

NEO GEO mini joystick hack

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I just picked up the neo geo mini and it's pretty good but the analog joystick is pretty garbage. I took it apart to see if there was room to install a miniature microswitch based joystick. It looks like there's room but I haven't decided to take the plunge yet, plus the joysticks I've found online are like $50. I haven't found anything online about people doing this mod. Has anyone else thought of trying this mod out?
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Fudoh

Re: NEO GEO mini joystick hack

Post by Fudoh »

Did you see the recent Ben Heck video in which he converted a NG Mini to a handheld ? In the progress he built a digital micro-switch based mini-joystick. Maybe worth a look for some inspiration ?
burgerkingdiamond

Yeah I did see that so I know that it can be done. The hard part is finding a small enough microswitch joystick to fit in the case. And like I said in my first post they are all so expensive. I'm sure that is why SNK went with the analog joystick. Those are pretty cheap off the shelf.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Clicky thumbsticks is very hard to make.
burgerkingdiamond

bigbadboaz wrote:Clicky thumbsticks is very hard to make.
Yeah I saw that clip. It's complete bullshit. SNK was just being cheap and lazy.

The PDP vs. Fightpad for xbox360 has microswitch buttons and a microswitch thumbstick that felt pretty good. I had one lying around and was hopeful that I could transplant the stick over, but it's a little too big to fit the case and I don't want to dremel away a bunch of plastic.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Fudoh wrote:Did you see the recent Ben Heck video in which he converted a NG Mini to a handheld ? In the progress he built a digital micro-switch based mini-joystick. Maybe worth a look for some inspiration ?
saw that :D it was pretty dope. Love the form factor and especially the art on the casing he did. looks as yummy as candy!

his micro-switches setup for the clicky stick is VERY interesting indeed! must make for a massive upgrade for the system
-FM Synth & Black Metal-