Chiki Chiki Boys - Bomb Distortion

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Chiki Chiki Boys - Bomb Distortion

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have three Model 2s, one of them Japanese, and using an RGB cable (I'll have to dig up a composite, to do some more testing)...every time I use a bomb, the screen just goes nuts. It's hard to explain, but you can tell it's not normal.
It returns to normal, once the bomb is over with.
I am using a Mega EverDrive, and RGB cables from Retro Console Accessories. The RGB is going into a component converter.

Anyone else have this problem?
donluca

Re: Chiki Chiki Boys - Bomb Distortion

Post by donluca »

I have an original Chiki Chiki Boys cart (PAL, of course), I can test on my model 1 Jap through my Sony BVM and see if anything is amiss.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm getting the vibe that I can't shove the cable in far enough into the input. I might have to cut some off the plastic off the cable.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I have a JP cart of CCB and a model 2 Genesis, but no RGB cable for it. Only composite. I'll try this anyway
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I tested composite, and it worked fine.
I'm probably going to dremel down some of the plastic on the cable, so I can get more of it in the system. It's just not a snug fit. You turn the system slightly sideways, and it goes bananas.

Anyone know where I can get a shielded Genesis model 2 cable?
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

evil_ash_xero wrote:The RGB is going into a component converter
Calling it. I have had problems where bright image signals caused the picture to go unstable with RGB to component converters. My guess is the negative edge from the bright line is interpreted as a sync signal or something nasty like that. I do not have a fix suggestion.
Kez

Post by Kez »

This works fine for me, Japanese ROM on Mega Everdrive. MD is PAL but region modded including NTSC crystal.

There are a ton of white flashes when the bomb goes off, good chance that is upsetting something in your chain. I would start with the component converter as Mike suggests.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

You may also try Adventures of Batman & Robin. The bombs do screen flashes, and that make screen roll on some setups.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Ah OK. I did try a number of other cables and things like that. I didn't get anywhere. Although, I did get the plug to fit in the system a bit better.

I mean, is there anything I can do with the converter? Any way to fix something like that? It's a nice converter. Not a clone.

And yeah, the screen gets bright and rolls. I think it's the only game that does anything like that, but I'll try that Batman and Robin.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Sonic 3, and apparently Phantasy Star 4, can also be affected by this sort of issue.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=39949
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I guess I'll have to live with it. I don't really like Chiki Chiki Boys much anyway. :lol: Now, Sonic 3 on the other hand....

At least I know it's not my systems or cables.

I'd love to be able to fix the problem, but it doesn't seem like enough people are talking about it, for a fix to happen soon.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

Sometimes it'll only happen when you use a converter AND selector box.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Oh really? I am using a selector box too.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Just an update on this. I went ahead an hooked my system directly into my TV (I'm mega slow on getting around to things...I know), and it was fine. So, it was the selector box, and not the RGB converter (or RGB Bypass). It only affects like one or two games I play.
I was trying this out, while trying to figure out the possible CRAM dot "issue" on my Genesis.