RQ: Gradius II - Club recovery

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Sir Ilpalazzo

RQ: Gradius II - Club recovery

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Been attempting to 1CC Gradius II lately, and the biggest sticking point has definitely been Club, the big walker that you have to deal with right before the final boss. I have a reasonable success rate at getting through the fight while powered up, but I'm having a real problem figuring out how to recover during that fight - with type 4 I'm not sure how to take out enough of the walker enemies to make it safe enough to slip through when you have to pass under / above Club for the second time, and I can't really figure out the principle behind the pacifist strategy that replays seem to roll with.
Square_Air

Re: RQ: Gradius II - Club recovery

Post by Square_Air »

Hey, I just noticed your Gradius II clear video, congrats! I noticed you abused the generosity of the final checkpoint to get past Club, which is certainly a valid strategy, even if it's unintentional.

I'm just gonna leave the Perikles Club recover video here for posterity.
Perikles wrote:This checkpoint is unfortunately somewhat random as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a foolproof way that will work every single time.

Most importantly, you DON'T want to shoot the duckers. If you fire for too long, those guys will be much more aggressive instead of shooting only on specific occasions. Only fight against them if you have the means of taking all of them out.

The main problem with this section is that one or two duckers have a tendency to shoot out of sync. You evidently want all of them to fire at the same time so that you can manipulate them to aim at the wrong direction. If even one specimen goes rogue you're finished. I recommend using this precise order when passing through the legs of Club, it's the best way to get a preferable pattern from the duckers.
The most difficult part of learning the pacifist recovery for me was understanding how the duckers box you in while you're maneuvering underneath the legs. You need to precisely follow though movements and hope that the duckers play nice and don't randomly act unruly.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |