Video probs w/ SNES RGB (Vertical Bands, etc)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
syboxez

Re: Video probs w/ SNES RGB (Vertical Bands, etc)

Post by syboxez »

That's for the jailbreak to add in ROM loading from SD cards. As a machine to load real carts, it works exactly and perfectly like the original SNES. Do some Googling on it and you'll see it is WELL regarded as the BEST non-original SNES ever made.
This is a list of known issues with the Super NT, and not just the jailbreak firmware. It just so happens to be on the jb firmware page.

It is the same SNES core that is running in the stock firmware, and these bugs are reproducible on real carts. Calling the SNT perfect by any definition is simply incorrect, no matter how good it is. Is it the best clone console out there by a mile and a half? Yes. Is it 100% flawless? No.

Give me a real 3CHIP any day of the week.

FPGAs aren't magic. Regardless of who codes them, a 100% FPGA clone of any console is very unlikely to happen unless the original RTL is available and put on a console by the copyright holders.
FBX

Post by FBX »

syboxez wrote:
That's for the jailbreak to add in ROM loading from SD cards. As a machine to load real carts, it works exactly and perfectly like the original SNES. Do some Googling on it and you'll see it is WELL regarded as the BEST non-original SNES ever made.
This is a list of known issues with the Super NT, and not just the jailbreak firmware. It just so happens to be on the jb firmware page.

It is the same SNES core that is running in the stock firmware, and these bugs are reproducible on real carts. Calling the SNT perfect by any definition is simply incorrect, no matter how good it is. Is it the best clone console out there by a mile and a half? Yes. Is it 100% flawless? No.

FPGAs aren't magic. Regardless of who codes them, a 100% FPGA clone of any console is very unlikely to happen unless the original RTL is available and put on a console by the copyright holders.
Okay so I must apologize in that I saw the link being about the jailbreak stuff and figured that's all it was concerning. But yes, I already know FPGA isn't automatically perfect and depends on the coder. However, you're grossly dismissing just how good the Super Nt actually is. Think about that list you posted: A handful of mostly minor issues, which is already far better than using a 1CHIP revision SNES for example. Again, do some asking around either on Google or watching Youtube videos. People are quite simply smitten with the Super Nt. Kevtris did a heck of a job on it, and it's far better than you give it credit. I've got one as well as 3 different physical original SNES consoles, and I much prefer using it, even though I've got all the best equipment and mods going to view the original consoles in best possible RGB upscaled quality.
James-F

Post by James-F »

FBX wrote:However, you're grossly dismissing just how good the Super Nt actually is.
Think about that list you posted: A handful of mostly minor issues, which is already far better than using a 1CHIP revision SNES for example.
That is a big big overstatement.

Also, why does a C11+ghosting+transitions discussion turns into a "how accurate the SuperNT is" discussion?
I think there are PLENTY of SuperNT threads already, so lets stay on topic for future reference.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

syboxez wrote:

I agree, it may be the best clone out there but it's still a clone

SHVC-CPU-01 for life
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Last night, I installed Voultar's RGB bypass board and replaced C11 in my SNES Mini. The picture quality's great (well, as good as I can get with my current garbage SCART cable), but after playing a few games affected by the brightness glitch, I think I'd prefer a way to easily switch back to the original C11 capacitor value. Would it be possible to replace the cap with a small PCB with both 47nF and 470nF caps, and wire up a switch to choose between the two? Would this possibly cause issues due to added resistance from the longer wires and switch?

Additionally, are there any larger (e.g. non-surface mount) capacitor types I can use in place of the original? My hands tend to shake a lot when working with tiny components, so I'd rather not deal with them if I don't have to. :P
rama

Post by rama »

There may be some issues but it should work.

You could go for a compromise instead:
Install a 150nF capacitor to get most of the ghosting reduction, but just a small effect on the brightness implementation.

You'll have a hard time finding larger capacitors in that capacity range.
Electrolytics may also be too slow to react for the desired effect.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Thanks for the reply. If nothing else, maybe I'll just tack some short wires to the C11 pads and make it slightly easier to swap capacitors. I don't plan on selling my SNES to anyone else so I really don't care how "sloppy" it looks, as long as it works.

For a slightly larger part, would something like this work? Just want to make sure I've got the specs right before I go and order anything.
rama

Post by rama »

I'm not sure. I think 1206 is too large for the pads. Best if you don't go over 0805.
Adding something with wires isn't great either. The wires add capacitance on their own, by which they'll pick up noise.

Working in this area is doable. Maybe watch a few people on Youtube do it?
https://youtu.be/7XXkhUXaShQ?t=746
You can try to find a position in which you can rest your entire arm and still move the iron as required.
Rotate / move the SNES board as much as required to have a comfortable range with the iron.

Best of luck! :)
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

Does anyone know which C11 caps come with Voultar’s SNES mod when the option is chosen? I got two caps and not sure if they are the same. One of them popped out and I can’t find it. I want to use the 470 and I have no way to tell if that’s what they both are and if 2 are just included for situations exactly like mine.
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

Soundwave GI wrote:Does anyone know which C11 caps come with Voultar’s SNES mod when the option is chosen? I got two caps and not sure if they are the same. One of them popped out and I can’t find it. I want to use the 470 and I have no way to tell if that’s what they both are and if 2 are just included for situations exactly like mine.
Before you lost one do you recall there being a size difference between the two? I'm not sure why he'd include two caps but maybe one is for fat 1CHIP consoles (0805 package size) and another for Mini/Jr. (0603 package size, which is smaller). I'm fairly certain they would both have the same capacitance regardless. You could install a 0603 in place of a 0805 but installing a 0805 in place of a 0603 could be difficult.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I've got a SHVC-CPU-01 that I recently installed a dejitter board into.

Now that I can optimally time it thanks to my new TV, and linex5 works thanks to the dejitter - I'm able to see some very light diagonal interference (really only visible when 2' or so away from the 60" screen) as well as some jailbars in certain solid color backgrounds ( most notably the "evening" backdrop in SMW)

I'm using an OEM PSU, and tried adding a 470 mike to the 7805's output, which seemed to make no difference.

Is there any other recommended tweak, or is this just normal? 95% of the information on the net seems to be centered around the 1 chips, so not much guidance on what's normal and/or achievable with the launch model
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Maybe doesn't affect the interference you've seen, but there's quite a few different fixes for the center vertical line listed at retrorgb:
https://www.retrorgb.com/snesverticalline.html
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

unmaker wrote:
Soundwave GI wrote:Does anyone know which C11 caps come with Voultar’s SNES mod when the option is chosen? I got two caps and not sure if they are the same. One of them popped out and I can’t find it. I want to use the 470 and I have no way to tell if that’s what they both are and if 2 are just included for situations exactly like mine.
Before you lost one do you recall there being a size difference between the two? I'm not sure why he'd include two caps but maybe one is for fat 1CHIP consoles (0805 package size) and another for Mini/Jr. (0603 package size, which is smaller). I'm fairly certain they would both have the same capacitance regardless. You could install a 0603 in place of a 0805 but installing a 0805 in place of a 0603 could be difficult.
He responded to me via message and they are both the same 0603. So now a bigger problem. I removed the old cap and cleaned it up to prep for the new. Got it in place (I thought) and tested. One end must have loosened. Anyway, I went to reseat the thing and ended up pulling up one of the pads (the one opposite C1) on C11 and unfortunately lost it by the time I realized it was gone, not that it would matter. Question is, do I need to repair that pad or can I run the side of C11 elsewhere? I can’t find a Legible schematic with C11 and this was how I found out my multimeter wasn’t working trying to trace it. Then at this point, I can get a new Jr for $50, I’d just have to remove my Voultar RGB...which was easy enough to install. Any help appreciated. Probably best not to do this stuff at midnight after a full day:/
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

maxtherabbit wrote:I've got a SHVC-CPU-01 that I recently installed a dejitter board into.

Now that I can optimally time it thanks to my new TV, and linex5 works thanks to the dejitter - I'm able to see some very light diagonal interference (really only visible when 2' or so away from the 60" screen) as well as some jailbars in certain solid color backgrounds ( most notably the "evening" backdrop in SMW)

I'm using an OEM PSU, and tried adding a 470 mike to the 7805's output, which seemed to make no difference.

Is there any other recommended tweak, or is this just normal? 95% of the information on the net seems to be centered around the 1 chips, so not much guidance on what's normal and/or achievable with the launch model
I’d be interested in what ultimately solves this for you. Sounds like you’ve done what is supposed to make the bigggest difference already. I have one of these as well and was thinking about putting in the de-jitter on that to have a that and a Jr. on hand. If I run into something, I’ll post it here, but I likely won’t get around to messing with that one for a while as my current issue with the Jr. is well documented above and I need to rectify that mess.
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

Soundwave GI wrote:
unmaker wrote:
He responded to me via message and they are both the same 0603. So now a bigger problem. I removed the old cap and cleaned it up to prep for the new. Got it in place (I thought) and tested. One end must have loosened. Anyway, I went to reseat the thing and ended up pulling up one of the pads (the one opposite C1) on C11 and unfortunately lost it by the time I realized it was gone, not that it would matter. Question is, do I need to repair that pad or can I run the side of C11 elsewhere? I can’t find a Legible schematic with C11 and this was how I found out my multimeter wasn’t working trying to trace it. Then at this point, I can get a new Jr for $50, I’d just have to remove my Voultar RGB...which was easy enough to install. Any help appreciated. Probably best not to do this stuff at midnight after a full day:/
With the pad gone you're gonna have to make a jumper. I've traced a spot nearby for you:

https://imgur.com/a/8C28MeI

Mounting the board is easy but removing the board can be difficult. If you aren't careful you could remove some of the board's through-hole plating in the process. Which won't be the end of the world but you could make more headaches for yourself.
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

With the pad gone you're gonna have to make a jumper. I've traced a spot nearby for you:

Mounting the board is easy but removing the board can be difficult. If you aren't careful you could remove some of the board's through-hole plating in the process. Which won't be the end of the world but you could make more headaches for yourself.
Thanks very much for the info. It’s the other pad that’s gone though. The one closest to the printed C11, closest to the controller ports. Not sure why I said opposite the C1 before as it was more confusing. I’d hate to ask, but where would I need to jump that to? Thanks again!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Soundwave GI wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:I've got a SHVC-CPU-01 that I recently installed a dejitter board into.

I’d be interested in what ultimately solves this for you. Sounds like you’ve done what is supposed to make the bigggest difference already. I have one of these as well and was thinking about putting in the de-jitter on that to have a that and a Jr. on hand. If I run into something, I’ll post it here, but I likely won’t get around to messing with that one for a while as my current issue with the Jr. is well documented above and I need to rectify that mess.
Unless someone else chimes in with a magic bullet, I will most likely end up leaving well enough alone. What small disturbances remain are easily overlooked from any normal viewing distance
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

Soundwave GI wrote:

Thanks very much for the info. It’s the other pad that’s gone though. The one closest to the printed C11, closest to the controller ports. Not sure why I said opposite the C1 before as it was more confusing. I’d hate to ask, but where would I need to jump that to? Thanks again!
No problem. C1 is directly NE so I assumed otherwise. The bottom pad is connected to the 5 volt rail:

https://imgur.com/a/pKz0ojL

You can see a plane that slightly protrudes from the board which I've outlined. All 3 rows of vias on that plane are on the 5v rail including the bottom left joint of the reset switch. Those vias have very little plating and getting a proper wetted joint can be difficult. The easiest spots are the larger diameter vias or the reset switch IMO.
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

unmaker wrote:
Soundwave GI wrote:

No problem. C1 is directly NE so I assumed otherwise. The bottom pad is connected to the 5 volt rail:

https://imgur.com/a/pKz0ojL

You can see a plane that slightly protrudes from the board which I've outlined. All 3 rows of vias on that plane are on the 5v rail including the bottom left joint of the reset switch. Those vias have very little plating and getting a proper wetted joint can be difficult. The easiest spots are the larger diameter vias or the reset switch IMO.
Sure enough, I see it. This is great. Thanks a million. I can patch this up tomorrow and get back to gaming...I really appreciate the help!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Any 2019 thoughts on replacing R3? Major advantages or drawbacks as compared to just utilizing the resistors on an RGB bypass board?
copy

Post by copy »

Voultar wrote:Pin 154 of the ASIC is the "compensation pin", it's supplied with a (C11) 47nF couple cap that goes into +5V.

Now keep in mind, C11 is a 47nF that's 20%. It could be 37.6nF up to 56nF. Depending on the age/performance of this capacitor, it can be inadequate to slow the response down. If the response rate is too fast you're going to generate too much current. This feedback node is going to realize it's generating too much current, too late. This is when you get the "wobblez" at the beginning of the stage until the feedback network finally lines it out. Much like Gigaboots' captures, you can clearly see this occurring.

1) No, this phenomenon isn't a problem with the 1CHIP ASIC itself, or its design. It's simply a matter of an aged component that may have lost performance or was slightly undersized by Nintendo. Cheap bastards..

3) Is this a wide-spread issue? Not in my experience. I've sampled several 1CHIP systems when designing my own little doodads for the thing. I know RetroRGB has done extensive testing as well. It's certainly out there and systems can be affected, but I don't believe it's impacting more systems than it isn't.
I'm fascinated by why consoles with the stock C11 capacitor can have such a different degree of the ghosting problem. I have a 1CHIP-02 which displays the problem prominently, while my Mini doesn't visibly have it at all.

In the theory that it's caused by an aged or poorly-performing 47nF cap (and my reluctance to introduce the top black bar glitch), I thought it would be interesting to just try replacing C11 on my 1CHIP with an equivalent brand new 47nF cap with a stricter +/- 5% tolerance.

To my disappointment, the result is little or no change in the ghosting.
Ruprit wrote:Posting to confirm that Voultar’s recommendation has successfully removed the vertical banding and ghosting on my Super Nintendo Jr. Before Voultar found the source of the problem, I recapped the system and it made the banding and ghosting much more prominent. Glad to have everything fixed and I dare say the colors look even better than before the fix. Though that’s probably a placebo.
Ruprit's experience is interesting, no? I can add my anecdotal example that both my 1CHIP and Mini have been fully recapped, but again only the 1CHIP displays the ghosting. (I can't remember whether the 1CHIP had any ghosting before I recapped it. I only tested it briefly in stock condition before starting to mod it.)

But it does make me wonder if the other additions to my 1CHIP have anything to do with amplifying the ghosting (78S05 vertical line fix, 10uF IC-decoupling caps for jailbar fix, dejitter).
Ambiguity

Post by Ambiguity »

Sorry for grave digging this post. I just created an account to say thank you to FBX for mentioning the diagonal line fix(and Voultar figuring it out), as well as syboxez for mentioning you could use a craft knife to lift the pin(it's the only think small enough that I happened to have to do the job). The difference on my APU-01 board is night and day after doing that; the lines were driving me nuts!
xthechar

Post by xthechar »

I put in a 100nF cap to replace mine since I was getting some pretty bad ghosting. Interestingly, the ghosting was most prominent on bright backgrounds (like the white clouds in Nimbus Land in SMRPG) against the left side of the screen, not as bad against any actual objects on the screen itself. For example if you pull up an all-white background in the 240p test suite, you get vertical black ghosting bands on the left side of the screen. Mega Man and SMW didn't show much ghosting compared to these cases for me. The 100nF cap got rid of almost all the ghosting that was visible to me. I bought as many caps as I could between 47nF and 470nF, and I may go in and replace it with a slightly higher rated capacitor, but I don't think I'll need to go higher than 200nF or so. Just putting my experience out there.

The more pervasive problem I've faced with my SNES is background noise in large regions of dark, uniform color. It is worst by far with desaturated colors that are below about 50% brightness or so. Any brighter and the noise seems to go away (or get washed out) and any dimmer and it's hard to see much of anything. I have tried a number of solutions to remedy this (changed the caps in my SNES, changed the voltage regulators, added caps to the voltage regulators, used 1st party and recommended switching 3rd party PSU adapter, used outlet without anything else plugged in anywhere near it, used (2 different) isolating transformers for PSU, tried different cap cards, the list goes on and on). I can upload a video of the noise I'm getting if anyone is curious. It's not noticeable except for in very specific areas, the region has to be a completely uniform color of the nature I describe above, and fairly large of a region at that, for it to be apparent, but it's something I wish I could fix.

I bought my 7374 RGB mod board from RetroFixes and I don't think it has a toggle-able low pass filter. In fact it doesn't look exactly like the Borti/Voultar boards I see most commonly recommended. I'd hate to desolder and replace the RGB mod board to no effect, but if someone thinks the one I have is potentially noisy, I may make that effort. Any other ideas that people have would be greatly appreciated -- I'm willing to try just about anything!
vinz2k

Post by vinz2k »

Hi

Do you mean this kind of issue ?

Regards

xthechar wrote:I put in a 100nF cap to replace mine since I was getting some pretty bad ghosting. Interestingly, the ghosting was most prominent on bright backgrounds (like the white clouds in Nimbus Land in SMRPG) against the left side of the screen, not as bad against any actual objects on the screen itself. For example if you pull up an all-white background in the 240p test suite, you get vertical black ghosting bands on the left side of the screen. Mega Man and SMW didn't show much ghosting compared to these cases for me. The 100nF cap got rid of almost all the ghosting that was visible to me. I bought as many caps as I could between 47nF and 470nF, and I may go in and replace it with a slightly higher rated capacitor, but I don't think I'll need to go higher than 200nF or so. Just putting my experience out there.

The more pervasive problem I've faced with my SNES is background noise in large regions of dark, uniform color. It is worst by far with desaturated colors that are below about 50% brightness or so. Any brighter and the noise seems to go away (or get washed out) and any dimmer and it's hard to see much of anything. I have tried a number of solutions to remedy this (changed the caps in my SNES, changed the voltage regulators, added caps to the voltage regulators, used 1st party and recommended switching 3rd party PSU adapter, used outlet without anything else plugged in anywhere near it, used (2 different) isolating transformers for PSU, tried different cap cards, the list goes on and on). I can upload a video of the noise I'm getting if anyone is curious. It's not noticeable except for in very specific areas, the region has to be a completely uniform color of the nature I describe above, and fairly large of a region at that, for it to be apparent, but it's something I wish I could fix.

I bought my 7374 RGB mod board from RetroFixes and I don't think it has a toggle-able low pass filter. In fact it doesn't look exactly like the Borti/Voultar boards I see most commonly recommended. I'd hate to desolder and replace the RGB mod board to no effect, but if someone thinks the one I have is potentially noisy, I may make that effort. Any other ideas that people have would be greatly appreciated -- I'm willing to try just about anything!
vinz2k

Post by vinz2k »

Hi

Do you mean this kind of issue ?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Qu7Chem

Regards
Kogepan

Post by Kogepan »

Hello everyone,
I hope it is ok that I dig out this older thread.

Regarding the ghosting issues with 1-Chip consoles, I made an observation which I'd like to share. Since I have no technical background for this, I don't know how relevant this might be.

I'm using a SuperCIC modded PAL 1-Chip SNES. I encounter strong ghosting, and also a too bright image, but only when playing NTSC games. For PAL games the picture is just perfect, no ghosting at all!
To clarify, it does not matter whether the console itself is running in 50Hz or 60Hz mode. Japanese games will exhibit ghosting and a brightened image in 50Hz mode and in 60Hz mode, while PAL games will always look perfect.

Does this make any sense? And does this observation match with the C11 fix?
I'm also wondering: If I increase the capacitance of C11 to fix the image quality for NTSC games, will this screw with the image quality for PAL games?
archimage

Post by archimage »

nakedarthur wrote:I replaced the cap on my SNES Mini with the one FBX linked above and unfortunately still having a visual issue. I don't think it's the same thing you guys are looking at, its more like a streaking to the right side of certain objects. On Super Mario World its noticeable for me on Donut Plains 3 platforms, or in the water with fire suit. I'm using an RGB modded TV, so who knows, could be something with my RGB mod and I just haven't noticed it on other consoles. Here's a couple crappy pictures, sorry it was very hard to capture since it's a subtle effect.

Hello guys, i'm having the same exact issue after installing the rgb bypass board and replaced the C11 and the R3 with 470nf and 1.74Kohm any idea on how to solve this ?

My setup is BVM 20F1E directly hooked with BNC>Scart breakout and 75ohm terminators.

LPF is off.

Cheers