What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Blinge »

A lot of the ones that seem bad can combine with another powerup and hey presto, you have an absurd build.
I used to be the king of holding onto bad runs until the bitter end and somehow getting a turn-around of fortunes on one of the last floors. But good lord is that boring as fuck, i don't do it now. If i don't have a decent damage increase 3/4 floors in I restart.

Each new added content pack makes this even worse as the enemies get tougher, and have more health.
Too much, some would argue. I hate the fat bats.

What do you mean point and click shots? Not the missile upgrade, surely?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Honestly, some of the bad upgrades in Isaac can be kind of fun.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Hyped to play Dark Souls again, so I picked up the PS4 remaster. Going to get to it when I am done with God Hand.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:A lot of the ones that seem bad can combine with another powerup and hey presto, you have an absurd build.
I used to be the king of holding onto bad runs until the bitter end and somehow getting a turn-around of fortunes on one of the last floors. But good lord is that boring as fuck, i don't do it now. If i don't have a decent damage increase 3/4 floors in I restart.

Each new added content pack makes this even worse as the enemies get tougher, and have more health.

The one that gives you a cursor, so that you're paying an awkward version of cannon fodder. And god, those bats are tedious.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Darksiders III

yes it has some tecnical issues..no doubt..But
better graphics/souls like combat/harder/levels
even it has better puzzles and great exploration

did they even play the game??? i heard it has frame drops issue on consoles..
im playing on PC and had blast

its much better then DS1/2
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A little ways into Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise by now, and having considerably more fun than I expected to. As I mentioned I know little of HnK and what I do know doesn't make me particularly eager to dig further, but the important thing is that the Yakuza guys recognized that the license had the two essential things they needed to ply their craft: 1) An never-ending supply of totally irredeemable jerks who practically beg to be mercilessly beaten to death, and 2) An impossibly badass protagonist who instantly becomes awkwardly charming whenever he has to do something that isn't impossibly badass.

Granted, I am taking pains to ensure that this is the least hardcore playthrough possible of this game (English voices, gore turned down, and worst of all normal difficulty...oh, and I painted my wasteland buggy pink :P), and my favorite parts are obviously extra-silly side stuff like this, but the nuts and bolts aren't bad either - combat (so far, at least) doesn't feel overly dependent on having super meter handy, and the setting lets the developers let loose and pull stunts they couldn't in the more "grounded" (well, comparatively speaking) Yakuza, which keeps it from feeling like a reskin. My main issue is the same as it was in the demo, namely that enemies can gang up on you easily and get cheap hits from offscreen, especially following the "mini-cutscenes" that play when you use a special attack; it's not enough to ruin the game, but is easily the biggest black eye of the package.

In any event, if you're like me and dig Yakuza but don't care for HnK, give the demo a whirl and go in with a little bit of an open mind; you might end up surrendering unexpectedly. If you're into both...well, feel free to swallow the key when you get home from the store, heh.
Steamflogger Boss

I remember seeing a trailer for that and wanting to play it eventually. Looks like it released without much fanfare as I hadn't even noticed. Damn lol.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:A lot of the ones that seem bad can combine with another powerup and hey presto, you have an absurd build.

I think you've kind of summed it up there. On PS4 I'd keep playing because no run was ever really 'lost' as such, it might be a slog for a few floors but there was always the chance of pulling something decent out of the bag. As Kitten mentioned it's something of a slot machine, but now that the pool of items is so ridiculously huge, the chances grabbing two that will have a positive effect on each other seems far lower than previously. And yes, there seem to be more bullet-sponge enemies than ever. Maybe I'll pony up for Plus again and go back to the unexpanded version.

Went back to Azazel for a few runs last night and strangely enough, no matter what I picked up his range never seemed to increase. At all.

Also ended up with laser tears, than something that made them into two diagonally bouncing circular lasers, then something that made those lasers nearly a screen wide between them. Then died to something hidden behind them :roll:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I play with the binding of isaac wiki open at all times because at this point there's no more fun in grabbing random stuff, i have to know what everything does before I pick it up..
Even read about the synergies sometimes haha.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

just beat HITMAN 2
to be honest, it more enjoyable then first with larger and much interesting maps
but still its more of the same..i mean comon at least add some new stuff and better A.I
cus its still dumb and easy ..the plot and ending is lame but overall the game is good but dont play
it right away after u beat first Hitman..u'll get bored lol
Steamflogger Boss

Finished God Hand. Gameplay was okay, but the game has a fuckton of style. Loved it.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Red Dead online. Could this game get any more broken.

Just quietly riding my horse and bam, horse is now dead, crushed by an invisible boat??
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Lady Sonia II the barbarian queen finally defeats rogue Legacy.
She was the 69th descendant.

edit:
i hate this game it brings my piss to a boil faster than most 2D action.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Redout, a hovercraft racing game, just dropped on GOG and it is insane!

This is a subjective metric, but compared to all the F-Zero and Wipeout games I've tried over the years, none of them have the satisfying feel to their physics that this game has.

And I've definitely never played a game with a sense of speed comparable to Redout. The interesting trick the designers used was to render everything in low polygons (they're all going to zoom past in a blur anyway) but use top-quality Unreal Engine 4 post-processing effects. The result is an absolutely gut-wrenching sense of velocity with buttery-smooth framerates when playing this game.

The music is great, too!

However there's a big difference between the Steam and GOG versions you should be aware of! If all you want is singleplayer/splitscreen, GOG is the best deal at $30 ($15 on sale as of this posting) with all the DLCs included, a package that would cost $80+ on Steam. But if you want online multiplayer you have to get the Steam version because GOG doesn't have it, nor are the developers promising anything, hence the lower GOG price.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Late to the party on Hollow Knight (Switch version). Enjoying it so far, but I could do with a few less blind jumps with small landing platforms and spike/acid pits below. Also a lot of instances where you have to spend five minutes going from the bench you got knocked back to when you die back to have another go at the boss you're stuck on.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Blinge wrote:Lady Sonia II the barbarian queen finally defeats rogue Legacy.
She was the 69th descendant.

edit:
i hate this game it brings my piss to a boil faster than most 2D action.
In theory this is the type of game I would enjoy, but they're are far too many instances where you can go hours at a time making virtually no long term progress.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Marc

Post by Marc »

Mischief Maker wrote:Redout, a hovercraft racing game, just dropped on GOG and it is insane!

This is a subjective metric, but compared to all the F-Zero and Wipeout games I've tried over the years, none of them have the satisfying feel to their physics that this game has.

And I've definitely never played a game with a sense of speed comparable to Redout. The interesting trick the designers used was to render everything in low polygons (they're all going to zoom past in a blur anyway) but use top-quality Unreal Engine 4 post-processing effects. The result is an absolutely gut-wrenching sense of velocity with buttery-smooth framerates when playing this game.

The music is great, too!

However there's a big difference between the Steam and GOG versions you should be aware of! If all you want is singleplayer/splitscreen, GOG is the best deal at $30 ($15 on sale as of this posting) with all the DLCs included, a package that would cost $80+ on Steam. But if you want online multiplayer you have to get the Steam version because GOG doesn't have it, nor are the developers promising anything, hence the lower GOG price.
I've had my eye on this for a while, you've just sold me on it. I'll pick it up for PS4 when I get my machine back from my Son's house.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Resident Evil Remake HD and I'm amazed at how good it is. Never played the original or the classic games except Code Veronica back in 2002, my recent RE memory consists of RE 4 HD, Re 5, RE 6, so this one is feeling special to me. Loving the ammo scarcity and the house design
Marc

Post by Marc »

Leandro wrote:Resident Evil Remake HD and I'm amazed at how good it is. Never played the original or the classic games except Code Veronica back in 2002, my recent RE memory consists of RE 4 HD, Re 5, RE 6, so this one is feeling special to me. Loving the ammo scarcity and the house design
I'm jealous, it's a game I know almost too well by now. Won't stop me replaying it over Xmas though.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You better be using tank controls boi
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked up Sly Spy on the Switch. Enjoying it up until the stage 3 boss (Jaws).
I could've sworn than back when I used to play this on MAME, I could bait him into a loop whereby I could just jump backwards and forwards and shoot him safely in the head. Either my memory has gone to crap and I'm thinking of a different game, or I've completely forgotten HOW to do it, and he's pummelling me. Keep getting caught by his leaping attack, which instantly removes your weapon and turns the boss fight into a shitty Dragonninja clone.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Recently finished Agarest: Generations of War. (Got a bad (as in premature) ending, but eff it.) IMO this game has some bizarre mechanics, but it works.

Then I started Agarest 2. ......................... OK. Now this one is more complex, while making less sense (and that goes double for the dialog), and has more grinding. I'm not too sure about this game. It does have bouncy-boobs technology. But most of the UI stuff is tiny like it was meant only for 50"+ TVs or something. the battles involve hitting the same button 10-15 times in a row, 1-3 seconds apart. All the information that was viewable during a battle in Agarest 1 seems to missing here. I guess you need memorize every skill that each character has, the order they're in, and the element? And it shows a turn order at the top, but not an accurate one. Even if I do nothing on my turn there is no guarantee that the next turn actually goes to the next character shown in the lineup.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Just got a platin trophy in Dragon Quest XI, 100 hours. My first one ever. 8)
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

busy playing Strike Suite Zero DC
such a great space combat game cus the ratings says the opposite
========

i also had a chance to try ASHEN for couple of mintues
soo atmospheric and the art is so unique .. cant wait to play it after i beat Strike Suite
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

gbaplayer wrote:Just got a platin trophy in Dragon Quest XI, 100 hours. My first one ever. 8)
nice one. incredible game, I still haven't really dug into the post-credits stuff yet.
Steamflogger Boss

DQXI looks so good. It's on my list...

Starting Dark Souls ReMAZZZZZTERED tonight. Valkyria 4 after that.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Sky Rogue

Cons:

Basic flat-shaded polygons
Unlock cancer

Pros:

Ever hear of this series of games called "Ace Combat?" Want a randomly generated roguelite take on the gameplay?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Earth Defense Force 5. Even better than 4 so far. I think I'll do first playthroughs with Fencer again, looks like there's enough new mechanics to keep it fresh.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

FLASHBACK
last time played was in 94 i think on sega genesis
game still kickass and hard as fk lol..i played the GOG remaster version
its great game but has lots of control and combat issues
we need real remake for it (pixelated would be better)
-------

now gonna play Heart of Darkness
Marc

Post by Marc »

kaicooper wrote:FLASHBACK
last time played was in 94 i think on sega genesis
game still kickass and hard as fk lol..i played the GOG remaster version
its great game but has lots of control and combat issues
we need real remake for it (pixelated would be better)
-------

now gonna play Heart of Darkness
It got one on X360 / PS3, but that introduced a few problems of its own from what I remember. It's a long while since I've played it so specifics are vague, I just remember thinking it was a pretty decent attempt at the start, and being thoroughly exasperated by the time I got to the Running Man part.