Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MarkOZLAD

Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mgerety wrote:Mark,

What am I using that leg for? Blanking injection or 5v source?
Blanking.

5V is all over the place. Study the schematics and chassis and you’ll find it.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
mgerety

Post by mgerety »

I answered my own question.

So I think I found a jumper wire for a 5V source.

The line to the inside keg of L009 is marked as 5v in the diagram:

Looking on the bottom board, that leg shares a trace with a jumper.

That jumper topside is marked JW186. Will that work for the 5V source?

Also, I planned on tapping ground and injecting sync on the gnd and luma pins at the back of the S-Video connector. Any issues with that?

Now if I can find a jumper or on that blanking line this becomes super clean. If not I’ll have to use the outside leg of L034. Hope to have this ready to test today.
mgerety

Post by mgerety »

EDIT:

I believe I found a jumper here that I can use finally for blanking. If someone can validate the jumper above I was targeting for a 5V source, I think I've identified topside jumpers for everything for the mod except for the gnd and sync.. Those solder easily to the back of the sVideo connector.

Pin 8 in the drawing above is the blaniking pin. I followed the line through L304. The outside leg is where I was going to inject the 5V with a 2K2R inline into for blanking signal.

If you follow that all the way up, it goes to jumper. That jumper topside seems to be:

JW130

Does this seem right?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mgerety wrote:EDIT:

I believe I found a jumper here that I can use finally for blanking. If someone can validate the jumper above I was targeting for a 5V source, I think I've identified topside jumpers for everything for the mod except for the gnd and sync.. Those solder easily to the back of the sVideo connector.

Pin 8 in the drawing above is the blaniking pin. I followed the line through L304. The outside leg is where I was going to inject the 5V with a 2K2R inline into for blanking signal.

If you follow that all the way up, it goes to jumper. That jumper topside seems to be:

JW130

Does this seem right?

Looks good. You can confirm by putting your multi-meter in Diode mode (connectivity mode) and checking for 0 ohms resistance between places on the circuit. (TV Turned off)

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mgerety wrote:I answered my own question.

So I think I found a jumper wire for a 5V source.

The line to the inside keg of L009 is marked as 5v in the diagram:

Looking on the bottom board, that leg shares a trace with a jumper.

That jumper topside is marked JW186. Will that work for the 5V source?
Yep, looks perfect.
mgerety wrote:
Also, I planned on tapping ground and injecting sync on the gnd and luma pins at the back of the S-Video connector. Any issues with that?
The only issue with injecting sync there is that on most Sony's I've encountered the S-Video port has functionality to sense when the S-Video cable has been plugged in. You may need to connect a ground wire or something to fool this. I will check the schematic to see if this is the case on your set.

I generally run an RCA back out externally of the TV from the scart port so I can plug it into the existing ports. Could run it to S-Video cable if you wanted. Of course, completely up to you, it's your mod.

mgerety

Post by mgerety »

I’m not sure how to read the svideo. There seem to be 2 pins which might be that presence detection you’re talking about. One goes to ground, and the other goes..... nowhere.

What about component? Can I just run Sync through the Y connector for component video?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mgerety wrote:I’m not sure how to read the svideo. There seem to be 2 pins which might be that presence detection you’re talking about. One goes to ground, and the other goes..... nowhere.
Yeah? Where does he go???? Weird..

I’d say it doesn’t use it.
mgerety wrote:What about component? Can I just run Sync through the Y connector for component video?
Yep, you can, or composite video in....

mgerety

Post by mgerety »

Looks like the earliest I'll get to this is Sat morning. I came down with Flu the past 2 days and am still battling it.

I'll report back and post some pics of image quality. Note: I'm modding this to use with groovymame + crt_emudriver to use in an arcade cabinet, not to use with RGB modded consoles, so YMMV.

-
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mgerety wrote:Note: I'm modding this to use with groovymame + crt_emudriver to use in an arcade cabinet, not to use with RGB modded consoles, so YMMV.

-
That should be no problem, my Brazilian friend Marcos uses his modded sets in the same way with no issue. What method will you use for sync? He uses the 1k resistor on each of H and V sync lines and then combine.

Akina86

Post by Akina86 »

thank you for all of your time on these diagrams. i will be reopening my TVs this weekend to make these mods. having a OSD that is actually legible is going to be very nice to have back.
mgerety

Post by mgerety »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
That should be no problem, my Brazilian friend Marcos uses his modded sets in the same way with no issue. What method will you use for sync? He uses the 1k resistor on each of H and V sync lines and then combine.
I just tapped the vsync pin from the VGA. How do I wire up he composite sync? Just 1kR in-line on each sync line and combine them?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

Sure your not mixing up the stereo to mono 1k mix?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Syntax wrote:http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

Sure your not mixing up the stereo to mono 1k mix?
Funny you should say that because I thought the reverse when I saw your stereo to mono mix.

The 1k on each of H and V sync lines and then twist together to make csync works. I know there are a heap of other more complex designs out there but I know there are plenty who swear by it.

Needs to go through the AV port to work because of the built in 75R termination resistor. Reduces the voltage to around 0.3V.

mgerety

Post by mgerety »

So.. no luck, and not sure where to go. I’m getting a scrambled image at best, and black and white at worst.

This image is with csync (1k resistor on hsync and vsync from VGA, twisted together) in video 3 while displaying input on video 4:

This is what it looks like when I switch to video3 where csync was plugged in:

Ideas where to start?
Last edited by mgerety on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgerety

Post by mgerety »

I also tried with only vsync, and got that same blacks and white scrolling pattern.

Could my ground be bad? I connected it to Pin 1 on the svideo connector.. I originally had sync on pin 3 (Luma) of the svideo but got nothing on the screen, so I desoldered the wire and wired it up to an rca connector.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Looks like a sync issue. I see some nice RGB coming through. Can you beg borrow or steal another RGB device to test the TV?

Are you sure you’re outputting standard definition content?

mgerety

Post by mgerety »

No. Not sure enough that it’s the right res. I didn’t spend too much time with it yesterday. I’ll try again tomorrow.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Persistence is key in this hobby. Always good to limit the variables if you can too. Looks like you’re close.

mgerety

Post by mgerety »

SUCCESS!!

I think there is presence detection on the svideo. I did the hsync/vsync mix by using a 1K resistor in-line and twisting the ends together.

Tb has some ugly geomerty problems, but the picture looks FANTASTIC. Great scanlines, Great color. (Phone pictures don’t come out as bright as I’d like. Much more vivid in person.

MarkOZLAD: You can definitely update the first post with the jumpers I identified. This mod is STUPID easy now.

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

mgerety wrote:SUCCESS!!

I think there is presence detection on the svideo. I did the hsync/vsync mix by using a 1K resistor in-line and twisting the ends together.

Tb has some ugly geomerty problems, but the picture looks FANTASTIC. Great scanlines, Great color. (Phone pictures don’t come out as bright as I’d like. Much more vivid in person.

MarkOZLAD: You can definitely update the first post with the jumpers I identified. This mod is STUPID easy now.
Glad you were successful!! Will update when I can.

Can we see a photo with the OSD showing over the RGB?

HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

Hi guys, so i not have so much time to finish the mod, today i test the VGA cable i assembled, i getting this so far:

i know i wire my vga cable wrong, but not know what is the error, i build him based on same the 8 bit guy did:

mgerety looks like the same problem you was getting, can you please send your VGA to S-VIDEO wiring? i not get it

i simply trying to replicate the 8-bit-guy video cable but instead using RCA pins i just solder direct to the CRT RGB cables and the yellow sync, maybe i did wrong ground? i dont know, that 10uf capacitor is really needed? used two 1K resistors in the sync part instead 470R

Also a bit off topic but something very wrong is happening to: my CRT sync (composite) pin is in short with the CRT ground, the audio ones not have same problem, its even normal?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

HellRazor wrote:i simply trying to replicate the 8-bit-guy video cable but instead using RCA pins i just solder direct to the CRT RGB cables and the yellow sync, maybe i did wrong ground? i dont know, that 10uf capacitor is really needed? used two 1K resistors in the sync part instead 470R
Try using 1K resistors and remove the cap.
HellRazor wrote:Also a bit off topic but something very wrong is happening to: my CRT sync (composite) pin is in short with the CRT ground, the audio ones not have same problem, its even normal?
The composite video in will be connected to ground via a 75 Ohm resistor. This is normal.

HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

Mark why we need a 75 ohm resistor for each color line ground? so i twist they all and solder to VGA ground point? and 1K for each input pin right? i missing some point here..

EDIT: oh i think i get it they act like filters for each color ground wire?

oh and my sony just have composite and audio, no s-video sadly
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

HellRazor wrote:Mark why we need a 75 ohm resistor for each color line ground?
EDIT: oh i think i get it they act like filters for each color ground wire?
The 75R to ground creates the correct video termination.
HellRazor wrote:so i twist they all and solder to VGA ground point?

and 1K for each input pin right? i missing some point here..
You've got me confused now. The sync combining is similar to 8 Bit Guy but with 1K resistors on each of H and V sync and no capacitor.
HellRazor wrote:oh and my sony just have composite and audio, no s-video sadly
The picture was just to illustrate my point. All video inputs on the TV will have 75R termination to ground. We need to do the same with our RGB lines.

HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

Got it! re-assembling the cable thanks!
HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

look that pic please:

do i did correct to solder three wires on one GND point of CRT board, then i solder each of them (with one 75 resistor on each) on each of the VGA cable RGB ground wires?
HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

oh also i forgot to tell: im using a GTX 460 2GB with windows XP and soft15hz /quickres and stuff, also using a DVI-I to VGA dongle, do i still need that vga vga dongle in that case? (from sailorsat)
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

HellRazor wrote:look that pic please:

do i did correct to solder three wires on one GND point of CRT board, then i solder each of them (with one 75 resistor on each) on each of the VGA cable RGB ground wires?
I think you have it wrong

Yes, the RGB Grounds, pins 6,7 and 8 need to be correct to ground. (Pin 5 and 10 too) You shouldn't need to run a wire for each, could connect one ground to all of these.

Each of the RGB signal lines need to connect to 75R which then connect to ground. VGA pins 1,2 and 3

HellRazor

Post by HellRazor »

Theres any risk of potential damage to the crt by doing that connection wrong? lol because i did it (yeah i pratically newbie at learning schematics). Also i turn on the crt without nothing connected just to see how it reacts, theres any problem too? by now i seeing this without nothing connected just the VGA cable. will check the resistors and grounds
oh and sorry again for the horrible pics
mgerety

Post by mgerety »

MarkOZLAD:

Here is the OSD:

Sorry for the shit picture quality. Today when I powered it up I had this snowy pattern on the crt AND on the other monitor connected to the integrated Graphics?? Could a bad ground on the TV side be causing that? (You can see the snow/wavy lines in the image)