Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tusecsy

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by tusecsy »

So with this FU board installed on the v3 SSDS3 is the video pretty much fixed? Are there still audio problems on it though like with the CD accessing buzz and stuff?
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

tusecsy wrote:So with this FU board installed on the v3 SSDS3 is the video pretty much fixed? Are there still audio problems on it though like with the CD accessing buzz and stuff?
I detail this more in the installation documentation that is not yet released. The video in the majority of cases I have tested is as good or better than my personal Duo R with Voultars v.69 board.

However, due to the nature of the SSDS3 and the cause of it's issues, along with differences in the consoles, power supplies, and cables, there is no guarantee. From the SSDS3 units I have tested personally and the consoles I have tested, there were improvements in all cases. Slight noise could still be seen in some setups.

An example, one of the prototype FU-RGB boards made a noticeable difference just from install, but there was still visible noise. Switching to a different console, from a PC Engine to a SuperGrafx, the noise was gone. In another case noise was visible when using the Framemeister, but not when using the OSSC.

I also took scope plots with various power supplies to see the effect that it had on the waveforms. There was a noticeable change when using a cheap generic supply vs using a quality or even an oem supply. The change was obviously negative.

As for the audio issues, all of the known issues are addressed with the FirebrandX audio amp. Except the swapped left and right channel. That is a firmware issue that TerraOnion needs to address.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

FBX

Post by FBX »

Mobiusstriptech wrote: Except the swapped left and right channel. That is a firmware issue that TerraOnion needs to address.
I totally forgot about that. Was it CD audio that was inverted? Reason I forgot is they sent me a firmware that corrected the issue to test, and I reported it worked fine. This was quite some time ago, but I guess they never published it?
Mobiusstriptech

They said that it was the CD channels and was a simple firmware fix. The new firmware isn't released publicly because there are supposed to be more fixes and settings that are supposed to be added. What those are and when it's coming. Honestly who knows.

tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:
tusecsy wrote:So with this FU board installed on the v3 SSDS3 is the video pretty much fixed? Are there still audio problems on it though like with the CD accessing buzz and stuff?
I detail this more in the installation documentation that is not yet released. The video in the majority of cases I have tested is as good or better than my personal Duo R with Voultars v.69 board.

However, due to the nature of the SSDS3 and the cause of it's issues, along with differences in the consoles, power supplies, and cables, there is no guarantee. From the SSDS3 units I have tested personally and the consoles I have tested, there were improvements in all cases. Slight noise could still be seen in some setups.

An example, one of the prototype FU-RGB boards made a noticeable difference just from install, but there was still visible noise. Switching to a different console, from a PC Engine to a SuperGrafx, the noise was gone. In another case noise was visible when using the Framemeister, but not when using the OSSC.

I also took scope plots with various power supplies to see the effect that it had on the waveforms. There was a noticeable change when using a cheap generic supply vs using a quality or even an oem supply. The change was obviously negative.

As for the audio issues, all of the known issues are addressed with the FirebrandX audio amp. Except the swapped left and right channel. That is a firmware issue that TerraOnion needs to address.
Have you noticed any likelihood of increased problems on coregrafx or coregrafx 2 consoles specifically?
Mobiusstriptech

The CoreGrafx consoles are less likely to exhibit visual noise than the PC Engine. This is due to a very different layout on those motherboards compared to the PC Engine. There isn't any specific magic bullet though. It's a numbers game really.

Ultimately the fault still stems from the device itaelf. So mitigating outside factors that can amplify the issue, is always a good idea.

The first set of pictures in the imgur album I shared are all taken with a very noisy PC Engine. I can't say everyone will have the exact same experience, but so far in the album I have shown 2 different consoles, both completely stock aside from the SSDS3. I think it's turned out pretty well.

FBX

Post by FBX »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:They said that it was the CD channels and was a simple firmware fix. The new firmware isn't released publicly because there are supposed to be more fixes and settings that are supposed to be added. What those are and when it's coming. Honestly who knows.
The CD swap firmware should have been released MONTHS ago. That's an error that should have been corrected immediately, not saved for a package firmware update. This means this entire time, people have been playing their SSDS3 games with CD channels swapped, and it's not like you can just switch the output cables because then the console audio gets swapped.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

FBX wrote:
Mobiusstriptech wrote:They said that it was the CD channels and was a simple firmware fix. The new firmware isn't released publicly because there are supposed to be more fixes and settings that are supposed to be added. What those are and when it's coming. Honestly who knows.
The CD swap firmware should have been released MONTHS ago. That's an error that should have been corrected immediately, not saved for a package firmware update. This means this entire time, people have been playing their SSDS3 games with CD channels swapped, and it's not like you can just switch the output cables because then the console audio gets swapped.
So, is this still a thing? I got a new firmware when I bought mine but that was at the end of june. The ssds3 version screen says fpga c498, version 01.02 R04. Not sure if that gives any insight into what firmware version I have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Mobiusstriptech

Yes. The issue is not fixed. You have to email TerraOnion and ask for a one off beta firmware with the fix applied.

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:Yes. The issue is not fixed. You have to email TerraOnion and ask for a one off beta firmware with the fix applied.
It's truly almost comical at this point... :cry:

Hey, when's the final rev FU-RGB going to be available, mobius? I'm mostly asking to make sure I didn't miss that it's already available. :) Ready to throw my $10 and a little something extra your way. ;)
Mobiusstriptech

The boards are in fabrication. I'm hoping to have them in hand and tested within the next couple weeks. I already have the prototypes for verification here obviously. I'm still building the bench testing rig. That way I can do all of the testing as efficiently as possible but still validate all the boards.

thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

FBX wrote:
Out of curiosity, could one swap the wires going to your audio bypass? If you're doing a mod anyway, I assume there must be a way to swap the channels of one without swapping the other. Granted you'd have to swap back if they finally fix it one day (or just not upgrade), but there's that.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

thebigcheese wrote:Out of curiosity, could one swap the wires going to your audio bypass? If you're doing a mod anyway, I assume there must be a way to swap the channels of one without swapping the other. Granted you'd have to swap back if they finally fix it one day (or just not upgrade), but there's that.
Nope. The CD audio is reversed. But the regular (non CD) audio is not reversed. They are mixed by the SSDS3 before they reach the audio bypass.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

the Goat wrote:Nope. The CD audio is reversed. But the regular (non CD) audio is not reversed. They are mixed by the SSDS3 before they reach the audio bypass.
Could probably swap it somewhere else though, yes? For example, swap the non-CD audio on its way to the SSDS3, then swap the output wires. That is, make it so both channels are reversed and then reverse it again so that it comes out normal.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

thebigcheese wrote:
the Goat wrote:Nope. The CD audio is reversed. But the regular (non CD) audio is not reversed. They are mixed by the SSDS3 before they reach the audio bypass.
Could probably swap it somewhere else though, yes? For example, swap the non-CD audio on its way to the SSDS3, then swap the output wires. That is, make it so both channels are reversed and then reverse it again so that it comes out normal.
Yes, that could probably be made to work. But I think the best (hopefully temporary) solution is to swap the left and right channels in the CD audio tracks stored on the SD Card. That way you don't need to do any hardware modification. And when the SSDS3 firmware is fixed you just revert to the original CD audio tracks on the SD Card.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Or just ask them for custom firmware by e-mail. They responded quickly.

Stop jumping through hoops.
FBX

Post by FBX »

thebigcheese wrote:

LOL yeah you could do that... And then when the firmware comes out that fixes CD audio, you'd have to revert the entire process. Not that it would be difficult since you'd be desoldering 4 wires then then re-soldering them, but I'd rather customers not have to worry about doing that. It should be a one-and-done mod. Thankfully it sounds like you can get the firmware sent pretty quickly to your serial number account on request, so that's the better way to go.

-FBX
Mobiusstriptech

Still waiting on fabrication everyone. Meanwhile testing and preparation continues. Bench rig is almost done so I will be able to validate the boards quickly.

Meanwhile I left a message to TerraOnion asking why they are holding out on releasing the audio channel fix firmware. It's been months and there is seriously no reason that they shouldn't have released this by now. It shouldn't take much validation and honestly it's not like they really did much testing before...

Mobiusstriptech

Production samples arrived and have been tested. Final go ahead has been given for full assembly. Check out the scope plots. I measured the quality?

http://imgur.com/a/Trj6NMJ

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

will you contact those who signed up for a board on your survey? Or do you need us to get in touch with you?
Mobiusstriptech

So the plan as of now is to contact everyone on the survey to let them know when the boards are available. I will also post it here, Twitter, my page, etc. My goal is to try and have the web shop open next week. If I don't, I am going to do everything I can to at least have it open and ready by the time the boards are in my hands and validated.

I still don't see any real chance of selling out of boards. If I did, somehow, I would do everything I can to refill stock ASAP. Even if I need to do one off assemblies on my own. I want to make the entire process as simple and easy as I can for everyone including me.

Mobiusstriptech

The FirebrandX audio bypass boards are up for pre-order on his page today. So if you want to double up on installs, good time to order.

I'm keeping close tabs on the production for FU-RGB. They should be done in assembly soon. The plan for this week is to get everything for the webpage in place and ready to flip the switch, compose the email to those on the pre-order list, and get ready to validate a lot of boards.

As soon as the boards are assembled and validated by me, I will open the orders via my website, not the Facebook page. The redirect will be changed to hit the website at that time.

I expect to then begin packaging and shipping boards non-stop for a few days. Every board is going to be validated before sales. The validation will involve composite video, HDRetrovision cables, and RGB via SCART. I will be verifying both the signal quality on scope and the visual output.

Mobiusstriptech

FU-RGB production boards have finished fabrication and are en route. As soon as the boards arrive I will be validating every board in circuit. Every board will be tested on scope and all video output visually verified before I open sales. This might sound like overkill but I have 2 reasons for this.

1. We are trying to fix the immeasurable quality of the on board SSDS3 video circuit. So it's important to make sure the new circuit is still performing within expected tolerances.
2. Since I am selling every board at cost, I cannot afford to send out a board that is not functioning correctly. I also don't want a board I had produced to be the cause of damage to your SSDS3 or console. While the boards received some level of testing in fabrication, they were not tested against actual hardware in circuit.

Once the validation is performed on my end, I will send out an email to everyone on the pre-order/interest survey first. Then I will officially launch my web shop and the current domain will redirect there instead of the Facebook page. All orders will go through the web shop. There will be multiple payment methods available so if you are not a PayPal user, that is completely ok.

International orders will be accepted. Please note there will be additional charges for international shipping. I also want to make sure that international customers are aware Video Game Perfection will be producing boards as well. I cannot speak to the size of their batch or the cost but please do consider ordering from them if it is easier on you. I do expect that VGP will have some level of markup on the boards, but I also expect this will be very reasonable from discussions we have had.

Final part of this long post. For anyone considering doing this installation yourself. I will have DIY documentation available. However, neither Voultar/Voultar LLC, nor myself/Mobius Strip Technologies, can be held responsible for any damage you may cause to your console or device. While the install itself is fairly simple, the SSDS3 is highly susceptible to ESD and the risk of damage when removing components is also very high if you do not have the proper skills/equipment. Please consider spending the couple extra dollars and having your FU-RGB installed by myself or another experienced/trusted modder, not OGHUGO or the like, before trying this yourself. If you are new to soldering, have never soldered before, or are unfamiliar with the safe removal of surface mount components, please don't learn on this.

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

There needs to be a like button on this forum, but you just got a virtual "like" from me, mobius (and it's not the first one either). :)

Got the FBX audio board in yesterday. Thank you for the quick shipment, FBX! Looking forward to knocking out both mods at the same time.

I will say one thing for the SSDS3 - the plastic case is very good quality. For as many times as I've opened and closed the case already, any other enclosure would have had stripped out screw holes by now. Not the SSDS3, tho! :lol: :?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

NoAffinity wrote:There needs to be a like button on this forum, but you just got a virtual "like" from me, mobius (and it's not the first one either). :)
You can click on his little green 0 and make it a 1 :mrgreen:
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Syntax wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:There needs to be a like button on this forum, but you just got a virtual "like" from me, mobius (and it's not the first one either). :)
You can click on his little green 0 and make it a 1 :mrgreen:
Learn something new every day...

One for you as well. :)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I always assumed that was meant to be used for sale transaction feedback?
FBX

Post by FBX »

maxtherabbit wrote:I always assumed that was meant to be used for sale transaction feedback?
Yeah he bought a board I made. 8)
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

maxtherabbit wrote:I always assumed that was meant to be used for sale transaction feedback?
I think that is the true intent. Thanks to FBX for the audio board, preemptive thanks to mobius for the FU-RGB, and well traded syntax my question for his insight. :p
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

FBX wrote:
Yeah he bought a board I made. 8)
I bought an FBX audio board and had an early version of the FU-RGB, both installed by mobius.