Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
garrz32

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by garrz32 »

Gamer707b wrote: Finally there is someone else like me playing on original hardware. I don't know what it is about Saturn shooters, but I gotta have them all. Almost bought Hyper Duel today, but "the adult and responsible" in me said "not now".
Saturn is my console of choice, followed by the PCE. I have most of the shooters on original disc for the Saturn but I use the everdrive for the PCE.

I try to play most of my games on the original hardware where possible but sometimes it's not possible :wink:

Don't listen to your adult self, takes the fun out of life! 8)
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

EmperorIng wrote:
Even better because no matter what you'll be fighting the red octo for a loooong time, especially if you are using the Blue Lightning which will net you more points on the boss.

Shienryu is a great game, some audio duds aside :wink: Pretend you are playing the real sequel to Tatsujin, ha!

:lol: :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

garrz32 wrote:
Gamer707b wrote: Finally there is someone else like me playing on original hardware. I don't know what it is about Saturn shooters, but I gotta have them all. Almost bought Hyper Duel today, but "the adult and responsible" in me said "not now".
Saturn is my console of choice, followed by the PCE. I have most of the shooters on original disc for the Saturn but I use the everdrive for the PCE.

I try to play most of my games on the original hardware where possible but sometimes it's not possible :wink:

Don't listen to your adult self, takes the fun out of life! 8)
707 - just buy it. A repro is under $20 and will let you enjoy the game and looks good on your shelf too! If you really care about having the real thing you can always pick it up later. Or you may decide you didn't care as much as you thought:D

https://www.etsy.com/listing/638171036/ ... _active_84

Post script to the adult self comment - I was in Video Games NY a few years ago. I went with a friend and saw they had something I had been considering (think it was Mushi Futari), but waffled on it since I had just bought something about a week prior.

Me - Not sure I should buy this.

Friend of (now) 30+ years - If 14 year old Michael was in here he would punch you in the face for even thinking that. Of course you should buy it.

I bought it.
My lord, I have come for you.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Still under defeat... and the clear should be anytime now. Nearly pulled it off at least 3 times now, the only thing that makes me nervous now are the flying tanks in stage 5 and the final form of the final boss. I can't wait to get this out of the way and never play it again.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Just got Thunder Force 4 in the mail a couple days ago. Love it!! This is my second Thunder Force game so far, and this and the 3rd one are gems indeed. Ive had an annoying cold since last Friday. Havent been able to play it proper, but I cant wait to get into this.
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

Playing Mushihimesa 1.5 for PC in between playing Killer 7
Barba

Post by Barba »

Have been putting a little more work into Deltazeal. Some consider this a futile endeavor because of the apparent faults of this game, but for reasons I still find it has its moments.

*Edit: I'm playing the Steam edition
Darksun

Post by Darksun »

I've been playing Super Hydorah and I absolutely love it. It's exactly what I've been looking for-- everything I love about Gradius without the unforgiving difficulty.

The only thing I dislike about it is that you can quit to the main menu at any time when you're struggling at a level and restart your save file, which restores you to the number of lives you had before you attempted the stage. Sort of kills my enthusiasm for wanting to get better at the game, knowing an exploit like this exists that gives you infinite attempts.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

@garrz32 & Stevens- I will eventually get Hyper Duel but when "it feels right". If you know what I mean. I will go the legit copy route being that I don't normally buy much of the newer stuff. My logic is instead of buying a bunch of new $60 games, I can pay the price of 4 or 5 PS4 games and get a classic game. The difference is with something like Hyper Duel, I can put a shit ton of time into. Just replay the hell out of it. Instead of finishing a new game in 8 or 9 hours and never touching it. BTW, your story of "the 14 year old me" takes myself back to when life was so simple and pure. If you had $10 you went to the store and spent it. But the 30s and 40s story is "I have my mortage coming, car payment, children obligations and everything else. Sometimes things like Hyper Duel have to take a back seat. LOL.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Darksun wrote:I've been playing Super Hydorah and I absolutely love it. It's exactly what I've been looking for-- everything I love about Gradius without the unforgiving difficulty.

The only thing I dislike about it is that you can quit to the main menu at any time when you're struggling at a level and restart your save file, which restores you to the number of lives you had before you attempted the stage. Sort of kills my enthusiasm for wanting to get better at the game, knowing an exploit like this exists that gives you infinite attempts.
I was enjoying it but something feels 'off' about the controls. It doesn't seem to move smoothly, almost as though the ship will suddenly accelerate if you move in one direction too long.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Marc wrote:I was enjoying it but something feels 'off' about the controls. It doesn't seem to move smoothly, almost as though the ship will suddenly accelerate if you move in one direction too long.
As it turns out, there's ever so slight acceleration even when using D-pad, as explained by Locomalito himself. It does feel pretty weird even after playing for a while but nothing insurmountable. I actually managed to 1cc the game on my Switch while playing handheld mode. It was initially much more brutal than I remembered and I'm still missing few secrets, but choosing proper weapons for each stage really makes the difference in this game. I'm kinda wondering how plausible it even would be to clear the game with just the initial weapon loadout...
Darksun

Post by Darksun »

Marc wrote:
Darksun wrote:I've been playing Super Hydorah and I absolutely love it. It's exactly what I've been looking for-- everything I love about Gradius without the unforgiving difficulty.

I was enjoying it but something feels 'off' about the controls. It doesn't seem to move smoothly, almost as though the ship will suddenly accelerate if you move in one direction too long.

Really? I haven't noticed it. Sometimes my ship will start randomly moving upwards because of annoying joycon drift though (not near any environmental hazards).
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

DOJ WL, day 115. Holy shit... Just did four stages of second loop in one sitting. The real deal is coming really soon.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Gamer707b wrote:@garrz32 & Stevens- I will eventually get Hyper Duel but when "it feels right". If you know what I mean. I will go the legit copy route being that I don't normally buy much of the newer stuff. My logic is instead of buying a bunch of new $60 games, I can pay the price of 4 or 5 PS4 games and get a classic game. The difference is with something like Hyper Duel, I can put a shit ton of time into. Just replay the hell out of it. Instead of finishing a new game in 8 or 9 hours and never touching it. BTW, your story of "the 14 year old me" takes myself back to when life was so simple and pure. If you had $10 you went to the store and spent it. But the 30s and 40s story is "I have my mortage coming, car payment, children obligations and everything else. Sometimes things like Hyper Duel have to take a back seat. LOL.

I hear you, think most of us on here are in the same boat bud. Growing old sucks
TallMan

Post by TallMan »

Playing some Raiden IV and just bought Danmaku Unlimited 2/3 on Steam today on sale
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Unless my memory is bad for the past, I got to stage 5 on a single credit for the first time in ESPGaluda. I did pretty well on the train boss in st4. I used to think it was a nearly impossible fight, but careful savestate practice has let me see a lot of routes through.

Credit-feeding TLB makes me give up hope. (warning: scrub alert) Like most Cave final bosses it just feels like an insurmountable slog with inflated health bars. That final phase is plain bullshit. It was when I first started playing the game casually years ago, and still is.

Also, confession time. Finally got over my touhou snobbery and started playing them seriously, starting with Imperishable Night. It's a good game.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Just cleared Thunder 3 on Genesis a few minutes ago. This game is just so smooth. Also did a run of Thunder Force 4. Another beautifully polished 16 bit shooter.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

This was a good year to me.
I was very busy but I could play some games, like I didn't in a long time. My CRT and PC died later year. Tried buy a new PC to play shmups and record replays, but was stolen by bad with a gun. Then I played in a notebook with a lcd display and could not play shmups because this. My results to 2017:
Sengoku 3 no miss
The punsher no miss
Battle circuit no miss
Aliens vs Predator no miss
Metal Slug no miss
Metal Slug X no miss
Currently playing Metal Slug 3, I hope get a setup and play shmups again next year. My favorite game genre ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

I decided to give up on the under defeat 1cc. The game is fun And awesome... until the final boss, which is pure un-fun bullshit. I went back to see if I could beat my old akai katana shin score, which I did! I love katana, shin and zetsu are just always so fun, I never get sick of playing it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Aww. Sorry man. It wasn't for lack of trying.

Zero Ranger is dope if you haven't had a chance to play it yet. Looking forward to Ketsui too, never had the chance to play it proper.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Stevens, you would have been proud. I really put some work in, even had an ok score. I have the whole game down and I was able to see the progression each game... I love it but hate purely because of the final boss, it's just one form too many especially as you have little to no room for mistakes with no extends. I was regularly no-missing up until the stage 5 flying tanks at least, but that last boss kills the game for me.

Ketsui is superb! I'm looking forward to the ps4 version... just need a ps4!
Last edited by Jonst on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blazing Star. The variance in graphical quality within this game is immense. That stage 3 boss that scrolls downwards... I literally cannot see what the HELL is going on against that backdrop.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

third_strike wrote:This was a good year to me.
I was very busy but I could play some games, like I didn't in a long time. My CRT and PC died later year. Tried buy a new PC to play shmups and record replays, but was stolen by bad with a gun. Then I played in a notebook with a lcd display and could not play shmups because this. My results to 2017:
Sengoku 3 no miss
The punsher no miss
Battle circuit no miss
Aliens vs Predator no miss
Metal Slug no miss
Metal Slug X no miss
Currently playing Metal Slug 3, I hope get a setup and play shmups again next year. My favorite game genre ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to see you again! But damn, sorry about the robbery. :sad: Glad to hear you're doing better. :smile:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Zero Ranger, first credit in two weeks. Finally broke through to 2-4.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I've been playing Raiden on the PS1 collection: Raiden Project, because clearly, I hate myself. My goal is to simply complete the first loop.. and I'm getting close. I've made it to stage 8 on a single credit but the turbo zako that bolt out from the screen edges (the ones that begin accosting you in stage 6 and gradually get worse through the penultimate and ultimate stages) are simply nerve racking. Plus I love that one section of stage 7 with all the uncoverable medals in the middle of this large off-white structure where you literally can't see shit! Thanks, Seibu!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Achievement Unlocked - Play something by Milestone.

Picked up a repro of Chaos Field and have put about an hour into it so far. After testing the waters I think I like blue the best as I dig all his options. Yellow's wing layer is meh and I wish red's homing covered more area.

I've reached the end of phase two.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

HAL and his blue ship are definitely the best choice for Chaos Field, and his Wing Layer is incredibly useful if you know where the bosses' bullet spawns are. Ifumi isn't as useful and Jinn's ship is the bad kind of gimmicky. The game seems to have been made with HAL in mind so stick with him unless you are looking for additional challenge or want to explore all that the game has to offer.
I would suggest trying to score a little bit, if only to get both extends (at 8 and 20 million points). 3-1 boss can also give you a Milestone logo which replenishes all your life points. I think you have to destroy all the parts to make it appear though.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Stevens wrote:Achievement Unlocked - Play something by Milestone.

Picked up a repro of Chaos Field and have put about an hour into it so far. After testing the waters I think I like blue the best as I dig all his options. Yellow's wing layer is meh and I wish red's homing covered more area.

I've reached the end of phase two.
Repro? You mean like a bootleg for the Dreamcast or for another console?

Or like a Repro PCB or something?
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Thunder Force:Gold Pack 2 ( SS)

Am sure everyone knows but for those who don't , the disc comes with two games.

Thunder Force AC
Thunder Force IV (Sega Mega Drive)

currently playing the AC game , which is kicking my ass :cry:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thanks M Knight.

It's a DC repro game. $20 with shipping from an Etsy shop in Florida. I've bought a few from this place.