What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ed Oscuro

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Necronopticous wrote:I just finished Return to the Obra Dinn. It's fucking phenomenal. If you have absolutely any interest in exploration, puzzles, mystery, seafaring, or sound design you owe it to yourself to play this. It took me around 11 hours to fully solve with no outside help, so it's not a huge time investment. Highly recommend.
That looks neat. Have you had a glance at The Council? It doesn't seem as creative in its game design, but it does promise multiple paths through every episode, and quite a bit of story.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I've been critical of Shenmue since I played the Dreamcast version, but with the new ports, I decided to give the sequel a whirl. So far, I've watched a a lot of dialogue scenes and moved crates from place to place.

I also got some money selling capsule toys. The game graciously started me with a few in my inventory, but someone carrying over his save could get quite a bit for all the full sets. There's something almost perverse about Ryo (and the player) blowing his allowance money day after day to obsessively collect toys in Japan, then pawning them in Hong Kong to make rent.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

MegaMan ZX
just finished..this's the only game and its sequel on DS never had a chance to play

this's by far one of best in MM franchise..its not run and gun straight farward anymore
like it used to be..it has Metroidvenia elements witch is limited here but its much better
and story with music damn good...now its time to play its sequel
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Curious about what you think about Advent. I remember loving ZX back when I played it, but when I finally picked up the sequel recently, it just didn't click with me at all. Insanely uninspired level design and annoying bosses.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Finally got around to playing Whip Whip on Switch, pretty good. Enjoyable mix of Bubble Bobble and Bionic Commando, that's a little bit too slow - reminds me of RodLand in that respect. Simple enough premise, you've got a grappling arm that pulls you toward enemies, while airborne you're surrounded by blue flames that kill anything you come into contact with, and you can chain enemies as long as you don't land. Good fun at a decent price. I'm still waiting for my ACA Saboten Bombers though.

Also picked up Saboteur, more as an exorcise in nostalgia that anything else. It is what it is, a dated flick-screen platform beat-em up, but it's provided me with an hour or so worth of amusement. Still, I'll probably spend more time with it than some of the shit I have picked up for the Switch. To explain to those wondering why I've picked up shit, the Switch store is really odd. The sales are generally underwhelming in comparison to the PS Store, yet every so often it throws a bunch of games on there for just less than a quid. At the price of a chocolate bar, it seems rude not to. Hence I have stuff like Brawl (shit Bomberman clone), Mecho Tales (shit platform shooter), One Strike (2D retro Bushido Blade), Robonauts (2D platform shooter with gravity flipping gimmick - not too bad) and North (weird 3D walking sim with light puzzles).

Oh and No Thing - a fiercely addictive 3D runner with some trippy old-school Ploy visuals, no controls other than left/right, and an absolutely amazing chip tune soundtrack. Bloody great.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Sumez wrote:Curious about what you think about Advent. I remember loving ZX back when I played it, but when I finally picked up the sequel recently, it just didn't click with me at all. Insanely uninspired level design and annoying bosses.
just started Zero Collection right away after ZX
i'll complete it first then ZX Advent..hope its good
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

After years of avoiding (not actively) the Mrs. wanted to try Assassins Creed.

Went with Black Flag based on knowing zero about it and my lgs guys recommendation. Enjoying it so far - not a big collecting guy (I skip most of that stuff) - just give me contracts.

Not surprising since I used to run this - streetwars.net

Sadly after 10 years it ran its course, gave me some unforgettable times though.
My lord, I have come for you.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Picked up Slay the Spire after watching Northernlion play it for a few weeks. It's a huge amount of fun; I was really excited to have my first win today. It's going to be with me for quite a while, I think... I do wish it were fully keyboard compatible though.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Blaargh.

Museum of Oddities and Taxonomy of Obsession are two of the worst sidequests in Oblivion.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I spawned monsters to complete Taxonomy, hehe. Just one of each though, any more and the game is likely to explode. Resurrect command is still your friend here of course :)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah the population of high cross are now dead as doornails. They just attacked the charmed creatures i brought back.
Except mirra or whatever her name is.

Poor Runs-In-Circles didn't deserve to go out like that.

'mirra' was happily hacking away at the last monster i brought in while i spammed heal spells at them both thinking omg why aren't you just trapping it like usual. I then made a quick save and reloaded it, which must've reset some sort of behaviour pattern because she did it then.

Stupid quest.
Stupid game I love it haha.

I might have to cheat for museum of oddities though because apparently the random stuff has a 1-2% chance, so if that's the last thing keeping me playing I'm gonna say fuck that.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Blinge wrote:I might have to cheat for museum of oddities though because apparently the random stuff has a 1-2% chance, so if that's the last thing keeping me playing I'm gonna say fuck that.
Yeah, you'd have to play the dungeons like you were aiming to close all the gates back in Tamriel. Pretty nutty. I did get quite a few of the randoms but didn't care to keep doing it.

...I just realized I never did anything with the Skooma Den - and nothing of value was lost.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Sunset Overdrive
had a chance to play for couple of hours on PC..i'll skip it..not for me at all
i mean yea the humor is good and the graphics on PC is DAMN FANTASTIC..very impressive
but doing same quest and just killing more waves without soul not my kinda cup of tea

others may enjoy it..
----------

time to play
Shadow of Tomb Raider
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Blinge wrote:I might have to cheat for museum of oddities though because apparently the random stuff has a 1-2% chance, so if that's the last thing keeping me playing I'm gonna say fuck that.
Yeah, you'd have to play the dungeons like you were aiming to close all the gates back in Tamriel. Pretty nutty. I did get quite a few of the randoms but didn't care to keep doing it.
Okay I'm now out and and about looking for Deformed Swamp Tentacle.
Looking at the wiki, following its terrible directions to no avail, tabbing back in for the game to crash semi-regularly.
y i do dis.
synthetic_nrg

Post by synthetic_nrg »

i tried, i really did try... but i had my tetris relapse tonight. i will get gm some day... time to grind
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Fuck yeah!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

synthetic_nrg wrote:i will get gm some day... time to grind
Which version of the game? TGM1 is pretty manageable, and even I can do it consistently.
TGM2.. now, that's a crazy hike. A journey of a lifetime.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
did i hate Rise of the tomb Raider? yes
how about the reboot 2013? the Best

so Shadow is the final chapter of Trilogy and how she becomes a Tomb Raider
but we got silly shit instead..what happened to SE? ok combat kinda improved
and stealth is good but whats the point if u gonna play 1 minute then long boring cutscene?
and i though reboot was limited but Rise had more room for exploration..ppl say Shadow is way better
this time and more room..well yea its nothing like that..its even worse then Rise..
its just platforming here and there and dumbest AI ever..oh man been waiting for this and this's
what we get ..shame on u SE...but i admit the sides quests (tombs) is great but its not enough at all
synthetic_nrg

Post by synthetic_nrg »

Sumez wrote:
synthetic_nrg wrote:i will get gm some day... time to grind
Which version of the game? TGM1 is pretty manageable, and even I can do it consistently.
TGM2.. now, that's a crazy hike. A journey of a lifetime.
i've been focusing on tgm1 for the moment
ive been playing tgm2 for the past 5?? years and ive only managed to get s1 and even that hasn't been consistent but i feel positive about getting tgm1 gm within at least a year i've managed to get at least s6, never had a way to play that one until recently though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If you have a way to play TGM2, I wholeheartedly recommend using Death Mode for practice.
Sure, it's a lot harder than TGM1, but that's why it's good for preparing you. Once you're able to somewhat consistently reach level 300 on Death, a TGM1 GM won't seem like much of an ordeal. :)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Technically a Shmup I supposed, but I picked up Space Dave on sale for Switch over the weekend and am finding it very enjoyable. My favourite riff on Space Invaders so far has been Extreme 2 on 360, this isn't quite as deep as that but still has enough in the way of new elements to be worth a pickup, especially at the sale price. Can get quite hectic on the hardest difficulty level.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Spent an hour or two with Dead Cells the other day. Not enough to get a good impression of the game, but my first impression definitely wasn't overly positive. I speculate that I could probably get into the game after spending some more time with it, but off the bat this just feels like the soulless amalgation of all the checkmarks you expect from any modern indie 2D action game - Kitten would hate it for sure.
  • Light roguelite elements, with upgrades that carry over between runs
  • Wannabe souls-like combat in 2D
  • Gameplay based around collecting a billion randomly appearing items
When I wrote my thoughts on Momodora 4, I pointed out that that game managed to get the "2D souls" gameplay much better than all the other games I've seen trying to do the same. And Dead Cells definitely falls in the "all the other games" category.

It also reminds me of the recent discussion about Rogue Legacy, and the claims that the game was based around grinding because it couldn't realistically be completed in your initial playthrough.
Curiously, this feels like a game that's consciously designed so that that is absolutely possible. Despite this though, a majority of the game's design feels extremely dictated by its core concept of dying and reviving for a "new" playthrough. It feels too much like an artificial extension of the game experience.

Mischief Maker claimed Dead Cells is what Rogue Legacy should have been. So far, I feel like it's the other way around.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The appearance of the game and its description as being "souls-like" in 2D was why I've always avoided Dead Cells. What does that mean? Castlevania? As you said, it looks like they are trying to ape things, to me.

I much preferred to jump at the chaotic, pretty mindless but also fun title Insanity's Blade on Steam.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh is it actually trying to be like Souls?

I usually think 'Metroidvania' /SOTN clone whatever,

Then Salt & Sanctuary, Death's Gambit are the 2D soulslikes. Not sure I'd include Hollow Knight, doesn't look soulsy to me.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Oh it absolutely wants to be Souls! It doesn't really mimick it as mindlessly as certain other games, but it does like to wear its inspiration on its sleeve.

It is absolutely nothing like Castlevania, which is alright.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

God Hand.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

On the topic of "kind of 2D Souls-like/Metroidvania", I've been playing Unworthy. So far I'm liking it, even if it takes the "dark" aesthetic so common in these games to the logical conclusion by using mostly three colors: Black, dark gray and slightly whiter dark gray. White and red are only for special occasions.

I want to see Pastel Souls.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
drauch

Post by drauch »

kaicooper wrote:Shadow of the Tomb Raider
did i hate Rise of the tomb Raider? yes
how about the reboot 2013? the Best

so Shadow is the final chapter of Trilogy and how she becomes a Tomb Raider
but we got silly shit instead..what happened to SE? ok combat kinda improved
and stealth is good but whats the point if u gonna play 1 minute then long boring cutscene?
and i though reboot was limited but Rise had more room for exploration..ppl say Shadow is way better
this time and more room..well yea its nothing like that..its even worse then Rise..
its just platforming here and there and dumbest AI ever..oh man been waiting for this and this's
what we get ..shame on u SE...but i admit the sides quests (tombs) is great but its not enough at all
Yeah, wondering if the Tomb Raider will actually ever raid tombs again.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

just started playing Mega Man 11
seems fantastic and frustrating ...lets c
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Dead Cells' main influence is the original Prince of Persia, all the way down to the protagonist's pantaloons. If you're expecting Dark Souls (which I never promised), of course you're going to be disappointed. It's an influence, sure, but not a very big one.

Aside from increasing your stock of health potions, the between-game upgrades have barely any effect on your survival chances. They just add new weapon types to the random pool, you aren't going to lose because you don't have the oil sword unlocked yet. The runes are essentially keys that open alternate paths through the game's branching path. With skill, you can totally beat Dead Cells on the first try.

Dead Cells is fast, beautiful, and fun. I do not understand why so many people on this forum have been instantly hostile to the game sight-unseen. So the PR people picked the wrong buzzwords, boo hoo.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"