Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SavagePencil

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by SavagePencil »

I have one of those amps and it’s great, but sad that I had to put in an additional $100 to get the right audio and video out of it.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

LDigital wrote:I’d like to order a built amp as soon as they are available
Same.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

donluca wrote:No one would ever release something which does not work. That's against any logic.
The truth is their testing was limited to CRTs they had (maybe some LCD TVs they had on hand? Can't remember), so, of course, they didn't catch all the possible cases (with those being several LCDs and, most importantly, scalers).

Again: there were people who were fine even with the first revision.

If you want to just blindingly lie to yourself and refuse to read what's not convenient to your point of view that's fine, you can just pretend that there weren't people fine with the SSD3 and even pretend that there are no people satisfied with it ever.

Not of my interest really, but you just end up looking like a fool. Nothing bad of course, we're on the internet.

I've seen way worse.

EDIT: and that's it from me, really, I gave this way too much of my time than I should have in the first place.
Are you really defending these con-men? Is it because you're also Italian or something? I'm genuinely wondering because your argument/"logic" has to be one of the dumbest things I've read online in a long time.

I find it offensive that people are even working on "solutions" for this piece of garbage. Further incentivizing suckers to support this moronic company. Have some patience and wait for someone else to make a solution (gdemu, voultar, mnemo, someone).

Oh and it just came to light that they ripped Voultar off for a bunch of consignment work he did for them, refusing to pay him.
Gara

Post by Gara »

tusecsy wrote:

Oh and it just came to light that they ripped Voultar off for a bunch of consignment work he did for them, refusing to pay him.
That's a new one. Where did you hear that? I'm a little shocked they offered to pay someone for assistance to begin with. It took quite a few low points for them to even acknowledge free advice.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I don't think it benefits anyone to rehash them as a company. The device is what it is. Some of us are invested in making the best of it that we can, and I'd suggest we keep this thread focused on it.

There's not much to gain by talking shit about the way they operate.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

SavagePencil wrote:I don't think it benefits anyone to rehash them as a company. The device is what it is. Some of us are invested in making the best of it that we can, and I'd suggest we keep this thread focused on it.

Some people are optimists (see the glass as half full) and hope the company will use the constructive feedback to improve (fix) their product.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

SavagePencil wrote:I don't think it benefits anyone to rehash them as a company. The device is what it is. Some of us are invested in making the best of it that we can, and I'd suggest we keep this thread focused on it.

I disagree. If they are willing to steal from someone (and I'm not sure they did, this is the first I've heard of it) then it reflects on them as a company and how likely they are to give a crap about things like warranty repairs when they can just be like "No speaky English please ask and get banned from our forum thankayou". Certainly all their previous behavior reflects on their credibility as well.

Realistically selling off their existing stock and releasing an improved board revision would be as simple as designing one that worked and sending the new specs to their fabricator and taking some heat from existing customers but at least they would have a functional product. Instead they are content to continue to sell a broken product and tell everyone stupid shit like "quality can't be measured".
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Gara wrote:
tusecsy wrote:

That's a new one. Where did you hear that? I'm a little shocked they offered to pay someone for assistance to begin with. It took quite a few low points for them to even acknowledge free advice.
RetroRGB Podcast today.
Wolf_ wrote:

I disagree. If they are willing to steal from someone (and I'm not sure they did, this is the first I've heard of it) then it reflects on them as a company and how likely they are to give a crap about things like warranty repairs when they can just be like "No speaky English please ask and get banned from our forum thankayou". Certainly all their previous behavior reflects on their credibility as well.

Realistically selling off their existing stock and releasing an improved board revision would be as simple as designing one that worked and sending the new specs to their fabricator and taking some heat from existing customers but at least they would have a functional product. Instead they are content to continue to sell a broken product and tell everyone stupid shit like "quality can't be measured".
They're never gonna release a fixed version and even if they do, why would anyone want to support this company the way they've treated their customers (and based god voultar) over the past year.

I guess I do understand why people want to get their devices fixed, since they've already purchased them and it's probably well past the return window. Just seems like such a colossal waste of time for talented people like fbx to be wasting their time on. Maybe just get together and fabricate your own version of the ssds3? Reverse engineer the software and give them the middle finger where it hurts the most...their pocket book.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I'm worn out. At this point, I would prefer an FPGA console solution to this mess.

I'm so tired of fighting with PCE hardware.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Gara

Post by Gara »

For anyone curious

https://youtu.be/j1uwG6Gf3d0?t=1096

That's an interesting twist. Hopefully they pay up
FBX

Post by FBX »

orange808 wrote:I'm worn out. At this point, I would prefer an FPGA console solution to this mess.

I'm so tired of fighting with PCE hardware.
Well there are two options:

1. MiSTer FPGA. I heard the PCE core is pretty decent for it.

2. The "Uper Grafx" which uses the digital video bus lines to output a flawless digital 720p picture. So no matter how bad off the analog video is in your console (jail bars, noise, bad caps, etc.) the Uper Grafx will display a perfect DVI-D based 720p image. My problems with the Uper Grafx though is it is 'Japanese-Weird' and it's like negotiating with a neurotic schizo to get it working with the right BIN file format. Once you get it working though, it's pretty damned amazing. Sound is not so great though. I'd give it a C+ because the volume levels for CD are way higher than console-side audio, and there is a little bit of SD card access noise that carries through on initial loading (but thankfully does not happen once the CD track is playing).
donluca

Post by donluca »

FBX wrote:1. MiSTer FPGA. I heard the PCE core is pretty decent for it.
I have huge hopes for the MiSTer, the project is really promising and I'd love to contribute in some ways by lending my software developing skills, but time is a huge issue, I don't even get to fire up my arcade cab this days, not even for a quick 10-20 minute game.

But yeah, I'll keep an eye out on the MiSTer. That sounds like an excellent compromise between authenticity and convenience.
Gara

Post by Gara »

https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1063 ... 62850?s=09
Looks like the FU-RGB is nearing release. Voultar is done revising it and Mobius is doing the final tests. The design will be freely available to everyone. Mobius will also be selling pre-built boards and installation services after his final tests.

Voultar told the story on Terraonion giving him the shaft for anyone curious .
https://youtu.be/unlBiEIFf0M?t=2084
Looks like they offered him compensation for his work but he declined money and asked for a neo geo flash cart. They seemed happy to provide it but never sent it. Now he is left asking about it every few weeks with no response.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Yes. Voultar let the cat out of the bag before I made anything public. I have the final prototypes. They are testing now. The production batch will be submitted soon and as soon as I get those, they will be tested and sold as a DIY kit or you can send to me for install.

I will be handling all documentation as Voultar wants to wash his hands of this project and move on, can't say I blame him. This is the culmination of 5 months of work with Voultar for me and almost 1 year of work on his part.

The most important thing to stress is this is not necessarily going to be a silver bullet. These boards will provide video quality at or exceeding the quality of the current circuit on your SSDS3. Why phrase it that way? Well in most cases the video quality is greatly improved. However there are variations even within a single "version" of the SSDS3. I have tested with roughly 20 different SSDS3 boards and easily 20+ PC Engine family consoles. There are console side factors that will need to be taken into consideration and the documentation will address this as well.

For those interested, pricing is not finalized. I am shopping the production cost right now to make sure we don't skimp on the quality of components but still offer the solution as cheap as possible. My intention is going to be to offer the boards essentially at cost, including my time for testing and assembly. The install is also going to be extremely reasonable. This is because I do not believe that it is fair to the consumers that a premium product requires additional cost to make it perform as advertised. I know Voultar is in agreement with me on that.

My last piece on this is to respect that Voultar has graciously offered to provide the files for free to the community. He however does not want anything to do with this project once that happens and unless that changes, beyond a simple thank you to him, please direct questions to me. I know he will appreciate any kind words with regards to the board, but if you have issues, I will happily work with you.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

strygo

Post by strygo »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:My intention is going to be to offer the boards essentially at cost, including my time for testing and assembly. The install is also going to be extremely reasonable. This is because I do not believe that it is fair to the consumers that a premium product requires additional cost to make it perform as advertised. I know Voultar is in agreement with me on that.
Talk about customer service. Thank you for being awesome!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Seriously, you are both men of great honor. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Mobiusstriptech

I sincerely hope that this ends up solving the majority of people's problems. I don't want to rush the production batch so I am going to gather all the data I can and compare it to what I have from prior revisions. As long as the results are as good or ideally better across the board. The production run will start.

Obviously some people will still probably want to build their own and I'm sure some other companies will do their own productions. Ultimately how you get the solution will be up to you. The advice I will give is that all parts have been chosen specifically for their properties and there is a genuinely high chance for permanent damage to the SSDS3 if you mishandle it. So just be safe when the files are available. Get hyped though. It's almost here!

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

really looking forward to this. Thanks for the effort!

I assume we can install the FU-RGB board along with FBX's audio board without any problems?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Fudoh wrote:really looking forward to this. Thanks for the effort!

I assume we can install the FU-RGB board along with FBX's audio board without any problems?
Correct. They are complete independent mod boards that go on opposite sides of the SSDS3. Neither board will interfere with the other at all.

My new batch is ready for preorder:

http://www.firebrandx.com/ssds3stereobypassamp.html

Please ready everything on that page CAREFULLY, as well as watch both Youtube video links before ordering or setting up an installation service plan.

Thanks!

-FBX
Mobiusstriptech

I have tested both boards installed simultaneously and there are no ill effects. I will be offering installs of both boards at once but I am not going to be stocking the FirebrandX audio board. So if you do want both installed by me, you will need to provide the audio amp.

Greenalink

Post by Greenalink »

Wonderful stuff to hear dudes, I've been looking up on the white PC Engine console lately and figuring out whether or not the white screen issue I found online (~£30) is worth the risk of buying one especially if the SSDS3 is using the extension port. I just read FBX's post that there will be a service outside the USA for audio bypass fixes and I hope that VGPerfection (or someone else outside USA) will eventually provide a service for the video fixes too.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I can attest to the quality of both boards, and to Mobius’ workmanship. I have both in my SSDS3 and it finally feels “done.”
Mobiusstriptech

Since the boards will be open source, I wouldn't be surprised if VGP ends up carrying them as well.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Everyone's talking about these bypass boards like they fix video issues compared to older boards.
What special sauce was added cos to me it all looks the same.
Mobiusstriptech

Well if you are talking about the onboard video it fixes composite video so it's properly being output. It also corrects the attenuation on the RGBS lines. In addition it isolated more of the analog ground and provides filtering to prevent signal noise. Is there some other explanation you are looking for?

FBX

Post by FBX »

Bypass audio boards sold out within hours of me putting them up for pre-order this morning. Here in a couple days, I'll put in another batch for fabrication with OSH Park.

I wish I could offer my boards at cost, but I'd go broke just spending my own money on the R&D for everything I do from palette research, software purchases, hardware revision testing, prototype PCB testing, Youtube instructional videos on advanced settings for new devices, etc. Basically the money I make goes right back into contributing to the fandom anyway. Even as such, I still end up having to borrow consoles and equipment from awesome people like RetroRGB.

Anyway, just wanted to explain I'm not out to make a living, but rather just funding more projects in the never-ending pursuit of retro-gaming perfection.

-FBX
Mobiusstriptech

I'm not going to turn this into any kind of argument or moral debate. I do want to point out that the video work was the culmination of hundreds of hours of work between myself and Voultar. It also came at great expense to both of us. I personally went out and purchased additional cables, power supplies, and even consoles including a SuperGrafx.

The point is, I am choosing to sell the boards at cost and Voultar is giving the design away for free. We are doing this because everyone should be able to enjoy their premium device as it should have been. I just hope that the community is able to get the necessary fixes both audio and video and finally enjoy the product. I know I for one will enjoy finally hooking this thing up and playing it with hopefully no additional work needed going forward.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:Well if you are talking about the onboard video it fixes composite video so it's properly being output. It also corrects the attenuation on the RGBS lines. In addition it isolated more of the analog ground and provides filtering to prevent signal noise. Is there some other explanation you are looking for?
Im not attempting to pick at anybodies hard work, and I highly appreciate the hours anyone including myself has put into attempting to find the main cause of PCE video noise(Which no one has yet)

I asked about the boards because it really didn't seem like much was changed or added on the RGBS lines besides maybe a different ground plane.
Power filtering or just beads on video input?
Correct attenuation on the RGBS lines? Are you saying that the previous PCE boards Voultar designed had incorrect attenuation?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:I'm not going to turn this into any kind of argument or moral debate. I do want to point out that the video work was the culmination of hundreds of hours of work between myself and Voultar. It also came at great expense to both of us. I personally went out and purchased additional cables, power supplies, and even consoles including a SuperGrafx.
I totally understand. I just can't afford to do that myself. Would if I could, but I'm not in a financial situation where I can do something like that.
Mobiusstriptech

Syntax wrote:
Mobiusstriptech wrote:Well if you are talking about the onboard video it fixes composite video so it's properly being output. It also corrects the attenuation on the RGBS lines. In addition it isolated more of the analog ground and provides filtering to prevent signal noise. Is there some other explanation you are looking for?
Im not attempting to pick at anybodies hard work, and I highly appreciate the hours anyone including myself has put into attempting to find the main cause of PCE video noise(Which no one has yet)

I asked about the boards because it really didn't seem like much was changed or added on the RGBS lines besides maybe a different ground plane.
Power filtering or just beads on video input?
Correct attenuation on the RGBS lines? Are you saying that the previous PCE boards Voultar designed had incorrect attenuation?
I think you might be confusing this board and Voultars new Duo board. No one has seen this board in the final layout except myself and Voultar.

Voultar and I have a pretty good idea on what is contributing to the video noise in the SSDS3. There is definitely still a shared analog and digital ground. Most likely TerraOnion has a via in the inner layers that is connecting them. This wouldn't be a problem if they had filtering to keep the noise separate.

There is also the issue of having the LDO directly next to the analog output. This is just going to unnecessarily add EMI to the lines. The circuit that TerraOnion included on the board is literally a copy of the test board that Texas Instruments sells. So the attenuation was definitely wrong in just about every way.

What's unfortunate about all of this is that the majority of the issue could have been solved through proper PCB design and thoughtful layout and placement of components.