NEC 37' Restoration Legs/Bezel

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dragon89o

NEC 37' Restoration Legs/Bezel

Post by Dragon89o »

Okay, so I recently got my hands on two NEC 37'. After getting them I noticed that the bezel on the bottom and slightly on the side is sticking out from the glass. I looked around on the top and sides if it somehow got unclipped but wasn't able to notice anything. The only side I haven't looked at is the bottom for obvious reasons but I might use my phone's camera to give me more insight. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this and how to fix it? It was like this prior to me transporting it home.

You can see in this picture that you can even see some of the wires and hardware behind the bezel being exposed. I don't want any dust getting in this way so I need it closed.
https://imgur.com/a/Ee9sE9Y
This picture is taken of the center part of the bottom bezel and how pronounced it is.
https://imgur.com/a/gjvRMXN
This is a bad shot but shows that the side bezel is also slightly off the glass.
https://imgur.com/a/j9fuJV4

Secondly I noticed that there is a back leg missing on both. It currently seems pretty stable though when it's on the floor but I don't want to risk putting it on my tv stand and for whatever reason it gets tilted over some how maybe when I'm plugging things into it. So I'm looking to get a replacement leg. It kind of looks like a leg that is found on couch but I need to make sure the height of the replacement matches and it supports the correct weight. I'm also wondering if the current legs on the back are original or if a previous owner installed them. So if anyone has one and could look at theirs that would be amazing.

This is a picture of the current back leg that is on it.
https://imgur.com/a/R77ZdcR
In this photo you can hopefully see that there is a missing leg. The screw that isn't focused I'm guessing is how I'd might install a new one?
https://imgur.com/a/NpUkbur

Lastly they didn't come with power cords but those are pretty common. I want to make sure I order one that meets whatever standard it needs to and is capable of the power. Does anyone have suggestions on what cord I should buy?
kel

Re: NEC 37' Restoration Legs/Bezel

Post by kel »

I would be very interested to see what solution you come up with as mine has similar problems. It has both back feet missing and the front bezel although not quite as bad as yours does have some slight gaps. I can't reliably measure the height of the front feet yet due to it resting on carpet at the moment but they are roughly around 35mm high or more. I was thinking of ordering some 35mm high furniture gliders and padding them out with some thing if 35mm isn't quite enough. I have removed the casing and from what I can see the bezel is attached by many clips with adjustable holes. I am hoping that adjusting these will straighten the bezel but I can't find out yet as there are about 5 of them underneath the monitor which I cannot access with a screwdriver without lifting the monitor onto something and that's a job in itself which I haven't had the time to organise upto now.

The part that I'm most anxious about is restoring the paint job which has seen better days. I'm thinking of either paying for a professional powder coat job or professional spray paint job but I want to find somewhere that can do it without spraying over the silkscreen text on the front of the bezel. I'm not even sure if that is possible or not unless they can match the color well enough that they can just cover over the text and inevitably some of the surrounding original paint.

If anyone has any tips on paint restoration without loosing silkscreen text then I would be grateful to hear them.
MKL

Post by MKL »

The front plastic is broken in the corners where the tube is screwed to and the tube may fall off completely. It's a disaster waiting to happen. If it were a smaller set you could try and glue/epoxy the broken plastic but with a tube that weighs a ton like this I'm afraid it will never be safely fixed.
kel

Post by kel »

The front plastic isn't attached to the tube on these monitors. The monitor has a strong metal casing that holds the tube in place.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

kel wrote:I would be very interested to see what solution you come up with as mine has similar problems.
Well what I think I'm going to do is since I have two with only one leg each. I'll end up taking the leg off one and putting it onto the other so that one has both legs and I'll put that into my setup. The other can't currently fit into my setup until I move houses so that one will be stored safely.
kel wrote:I can't reliably measure the height of the front feet yet due to it resting on carpet at the moment but they are roughly around 35mm high or more. I was thinking of ordering some 35mm high furniture gliders and padding them out with some thing if 35mm isn't quite enough.

When I'm swapping the legs I think I will take all the dimensions of the leg to help find a suitable replacement for the other monitor. I could end up messaging you the measurements and image of the leg if you would like. Maybe it could help you find a replacement before me and you could let me know if you happen to find an option before me.
kel wrote:I have removed the casing and from what I can see the bezel is attached by many clips with adjustable holes. I am hoping that adjusting these will straighten the bezel but I can't find out yet as there are about 5 of them underneath the monitor which I cannot access with a screwdriver without lifting the monitor onto something and that's a job in itself which I haven't had the time to organise upto now.
Yeah, I'm needing to find a good option for some type of coffee table that could support this weight for when I need to work on it. Not sure how I'd exactly go about getting underneath it. Wish there was a car lift equivalent option for CRTs to easily work under them. I haven't had to chance to open one up yet so maybe that is overkill and there is a better solution. Let me know if you have any ideas.
kel wrote:The part that I'm most anxious about is restoring the paint job which has seen better days. I'm thinking of either paying for a professional powder coat job or professional spray paint job but I want to find somewhere that can do it without spraying over the silkscreen text on the front of the bezel. I'm not even sure if that is possible or not unless they can match the color well enough that they can just cover over the text and inevitably some of the surrounding original paint.
The metal band that goes around the crt on mine are both a bit scuffed and I was also thinking about having them painted. I wanted to sand that part down and paint that part. As for the bezel I have a scuff or two and that would be a much more difficult job I'd imagine. Taking it to a professional would probably be smart. It has a unique type of finish so if you simply try to remove a scuff with some type of chemical youll end up potentially making it look worse.
kel wrote:If anyone has any tips on paint restoration without loosing silkscreen text then I would be grateful to hear them.

I'd also be interested in a solution.

Lastly for the power cord is there a certain power standard cord I should be looking for? Should it meet some type of rating requirements?
kel

Post by kel »

I would appreciate it if you would message me with the measurements and picture of the leg when you get around to taking it off, thanks.

I know what you mean, it would really be handy for a custom lift for it due to the need to access screws underneath once it is lifted. I suppose a few carefully placed breeze blocks would do the job but other than that like you said some sort of coffee table/ cabinet that is strong enough to hold it but small enough so that the back legs and front legs including the space in between are not obstructed.

When I finally get around to tackling the job I will reply with anything new that I work out along the way. At the moment though how it works is probably more of a priority than how it looks so I was planning on doing a full recap job first to hopefully improve functionality if possible and that could take a while with this beast.

Regarding the power cord the 120v model can draw a maximum of 4.5amps where as the 230v model only draws a maximum of 2.5amps. If you work that out then that would be 540W and 575W respectively although that does seem a little high for a CRT monitor even one this big. I suppose anything that can run a decent spec desktop these days would do the job fine.