PlayStation Classic's full game list announced

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
WelshMegalodon

PlayStation Classic's full game list announced

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Thought I'd post this here so we could all squabble over the selection:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/ ... comments=1
In the United States, the PlayStation Classic will ship with the following games. (An asterisk means the game was previously announced during the September unveil.)

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII *
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash! *
Metal Gear Solid
Mr. Driller
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil (Director's Cut)
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4 *
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3 *
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms *
The Japanese release gets Armored Core, G-Darius, Gradius Gaiden, and Parasite Eve, so...

EDIT: inb4 "But what about higher resolutions?"
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Turrican

Re: PlayStation Classic's full game list announced

Post by Turrican »

A sad joke.
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

JP PS Classic also has Devil Dice. No shmups on US version. :(
tnc

Post by tnc »

Where is LSD: Dream Emulator?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

nothing at all from polyphony digital (but quite a few vehicle games on this list), no crash (or other favorite games from years past which have gotten good remasters - for example, the entire Taz series is on Steam now), one final fantasy, RE: fake music edition, etc.

...but they got the all-important tom clancy license guys!
NYN

Post by NYN »

Ed Oscuro wrote: RE: fake music edition
Incorrect. Listed is the D.C. . The music swap is the Dual Shock Version.
A common mistake from what I gather, apparently not as often corrected as produced.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

After a little searching and some infuriating youtube sony-ponying, I cant seem to find any hard info on specs.
This is another emulator in a "pick your console wrapper" box, I take it?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ronyn wrote:
A common mistake from what I gather, apparently not as often corrected as produced.
Except to be the good one it should be the European PAL D.C.
X - P - B
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

No mascots like Spyro or Crash, no Tomb Raider, no Final Fantasy Tactics, no... sports games? Also no Miserable Piles of Secrets or Silent Hill or Fatal Frame. But I guess all these emu boxes are always lacking.

The censored and cut up US version of Persona is a bit of an esoteric choice. The PSP versions of Persona 1 and 2 are much better. At this rate, they might as well have thrown Jade Cocoon or Lunar Silver Story Complete on there instead.
Zen wrote:After a little searching and some infuriating youtube sony-ponying, I cant seem to find any hard info on specs.
This is another emulator in a "pick your console wrapper" box, I take it?
Yeah.. I wouldn't expect anything better than the SNES classic, which is overkill for PSX1 games.

Just about any refurbished PC would outperform it by any metric.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Fatal Frame wasn't on PS1 yo.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Not with that attitude, it won't!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ronyn wrote:
Huh, you're right of course. I did read other good things about the Director's Cut's arrange mode, so maybe that's not a bad choice then.

Jade Cocoon would be a ballsy choice; I only found out about that game yesterday, for real. They could've thrown in Legend of Legaia for that kind of money, too, I'm sure.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Puzzle but not street fighter?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Weak list.
tnc

Post by tnc »

It's also interesting that there is Ridge Racer but no Gran Turismo. I'd choose Ridge Racer too but...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

tnc wrote:It's also interesting that there is Ridge Racer but no Gran Turismo. I'd choose Ridge Racer too but...
Cost for car licenses played a factor there, no doubt.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

No tony hawk 2?

What games did they think we played?

That gap checklist still haunts me
Copyright 1987
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

meh..I'll pass on this, being honest, all the latest mini revamps are getting a bit tedious.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Cool to see Intelligent Qube on there. I guess the biggest disappointment is that you would have to double the number of games on board to really scratch the surface of the PS1 library. Nothing really jumped out at me as bad on the list, except maybe swapping Twisted Metal for TM2.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

brokenhalo wrote:Cool to see Intelligent Qube on there.
Oh crap! I rented that once!

I remember that there were cubes.
Ed Oscuro wrote:Jade Cocoon would be a ballsy choice; I only found out about that game yesterday, for real.
No way?!

A lot of these cult and fringe RPGs had some neat features beyond just making numbers go up or reading text on signpost-style NPCs. Jade Cocoon had aesthetic goals and rewards to work toward - like how you could try to make your dude's horn as big as possible through fusion. Jade Cocoon 2 had a small number of NPCs, but they were all characters that showed up throughout the game. Even the faceless hunters who wore masks had personality to them.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I've never heard tell of them Jade Cocoons

Now I'm intrigued...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

They have lots of flaws, but they're at least a little different than your average Pokemon or Dragon Quest clone.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BryanM wrote:Jade Cocoon had aesthetic goals and rewards to work toward - like how you could try to make your dude's horn as big as possible through fusion.
Fable before Fable? Hmm! :)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Just off the top of my head, it should have
Symphony of the Night (INSANE glaring omission)
All 3 Crash Bandicoots (he was the freaking mascot!). At least 2 or 3, if space is a problem.
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Einhander or
R-Type Delta, if you don't want to give us Gaiden as the shmup of the system.
Tomb Raider 1 and 2 (She WAS the freaking mascot, for a year or something)
Some more Square and Capcom stuff would be nice. Even Dino Crisis 1 or 2 (which was better) would be a nice addition.
Street Fighter Alpha...one of them that doesn't have too bad of loading times (maybe they could fix it, with this?)
Ace Combat 2

I remember Toshinden being the showpiece of this system, for the first batch of months. But I think people say it's an awful game now. I haven't played it since....when I had a full hair line.

They do have some obvious choices in there. FF VII. MGS. Ridge Racer 4...cool to see Jumping Flash. Twisted Metal. TEKKEN 3.
But they gotta be kidding with that list. Maybe they had some rights problems and/or space problems. It doesn't represent the system properly..and is missing some of it's most famous games.

People complained about the NES and SNES lists....but whoa....they were better than this.

Hopefully they have some nice shaders/filters or whatever to help sort out those god awful polygons from that time period. Although, I can hear it now... "we just want scanlines! we love those razor sharp jaggies!". :roll:
We HATED the jaggies, in the 90s. But there's probably gonna be some kinda fucking nostalgia for it now.

I'm going to start demanding that companies put record pops and scratch sounds on all my digital music. :lol:
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Hoagtech wrote:No tony hawk 2?

What games did they think we played?

That gap checklist still haunts me
The Tony Hawk games will never be re-released. They have to pay so many licenses it would be ridiculous. Skaters, music, clothing brands that don't exist anymore etc.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Why not stick both game lineups on the box instead of splitting between Japan and West? Granted I doubt any Japanese player is bothered about the Western exclusives but all those JP only titles got localised and look far more interesting than a lot of the very dated games on the list.

Really highlights how many PSX classics had enough licences attached to prevent re-releases. Wipeout was pretty much THE game at launch but its licenced soundtrack is probably holding it back here. Can't remember if 2097 was the same though.

Also Crash Bandicoot is missing because they just re-released them for modern consoles - who'd want to sit down with the PSX originals when you have that?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Just off the top of my head, it should have
Same reason why no mainline Crash or Spyro games... it's got a new "HD" version coming out soon... plus, there may actually be licensing issues with the original "What is a man?" dub at this point.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:Also Crash Bandicoot is missing because they just re-released them for modern consoles - who'd want to sit down with the PSX originals when you have that?
While I agree in regards to the main line trilogy, they should have put Crash Team Racing on here. Kill 2 birds with one stone.. get your most recognized platformer mascot and a Mario-Kart clone all in one.

Another unfortunate aspect of this device is the lack of link-cable support (I know, like that was ever going to happen). R4's undocumented 4-player mode will remain exclusive to the original hardware.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Kiken wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Just off the top of my head, it should have
Same reason why no mainline Crash or Spyro games... it's got a new "HD" version coming out soon... plus, there may actually be licensing issues with the original "What is a man?" dub at this point.
That sounds like a miserable little pile of secrets, to me.

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

"Miserable pile of secrets" is apparently scrubbed from the "canon" after the PSP port. It's been judiciously replaced by serious text forever - like a boot stamping on a human face, forever.

Wouldn't the Crash property owners make more money if they released the original game(s) on the PS Classic alongside the modern ports? I was initially chalking up port exclusivity as the reason for the lack of these titles, but maybe it's as simple as the price being higher than Sony want to pay to Naughty Dog. I think both ideas have merit.

Random thought: I have no idea how I should appraise Battle Arena Toshinden. Noting the obviously dated production would be a low blow; I mean the gameplay qualities.

I would rather have seen Bushido Blade; Lightweight - underdog developer of all time? Bushido Blade and its one-hit kills wouldn't have been the Street/Virtua substitute Sony apparently wanted - then and now - but it has a fairly good singleplayer experience in addition to multiplayer.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Naughty Dog is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Interactive and therefore the property of the Sony conglomerate.

You can't give Objective Points to Toshinden for being a product of its time, only Nostalgia Points. If we can write off large portions of the C64, 2600, Star Wars, etc, Battle Arena can't get a pass.